PDA

View Full Version : Can I go out like this?

fionasboots
10-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Well, I think I still need to buy a jacket/coat or something (I'm getting far too practical for this CDing stuff, gone are the days of skimpy outfits :heehee: ) but what do you all think about this outfit for my first time outside?

Personally I prefer the longer boots, the ankle ones are cute but I don't think the shape of them goes well with a skirt - they suit trousers/jeans better I think.

Anyway, do you think I'm going to survive a trip out in the big wide-world dressed like this?

Barb Valentine
10-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Yes I think a jacket would be a good idea
Just in case it gets cold
But you do look good
And good luck

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-07-2006, 11:39 PM
I'd go with the longer boots (ankle boots aren't usually meant to be worn with skirts). And given the season, I assume you probably would want a coat.

But other than that, you look great. Go knock 'em dead!

Stephenie S
10-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Dear Fiona,

You go girl! I am soooo pleased to see what's happening for you.

You look just fine to me although I agree that the boot style is not apropriate for your outfit. Higher calf length boots or shoes would do better. You will need a coat or sweater (jumper?) if it's going to get chilly.

But damn girl, you're looking good!

Lovies,
Stephenie

fionasboots
10-07-2006, 11:47 PM
I'd go with the longer boots (ankle boots aren't usually meant to be worn with skirts). And given the season, I assume you probably would want a coat.

Yeah, I feel a bit silly posting the ankle-boot pic ... I kinda knew they wouldn't go but thought it may be worth a try just in case I missed some new fashion ;-)

As for a coat, well, I don't really want one for keeping warm, more for the look of it really - I'm generally a quite warm person (in lots of ways :heehee: ) and get a bit too hot in coats/jackets unless it really is quite cold (and it isn't here in Utah at the moment)

But other than that, you look great. Go knock 'em dead!

Robin Leigh
10-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Hi Fiona!

Ankle boots with a skirt were fashionable in the late 70s - early 80s, but I never really liked the look. I had a gf with a nice pair that I used to borrow, though. My Mum had a gorgeous pair of calf-high boots that I could fit into until I was almost 16. :)

I think a longish coat would work best with the tunic.

Can you give yourself a fringe? You have a big forehead, and I think it would make your face look more femme if you could hide some of that bulk, or at least make it look less square. A scarf or hat, maybe?

Good luck on your first time out! :hugs: Does your wife know this'll be Fiona's "debut"?

I went for a walk around the block late last night and only encountered one other pedestrian, a GG in her mid-late 20s. From her puzzled look, I'm fairly sure she read me. I'm trying to work up the courage to go for a quick stroll now. It's 3:45 PM and overcast, but very windy. If the wind drops & we get some light rain, that'd be perfect. An umbrella is excellent for avoiding unwanted eye contact, and it also makes a handy weapon. :)

:hugs:

Robin

Kristen Kelly
10-08-2006, 05:10 AM
Girls get with it, the retro look of the 70's is here and shorter ankle boots "are" in. I just bought a pair of Leopard print 1/2 boots and yes they look great with a pair of lace pantyhose and a mini skirt, cant wait to take some photos of my new look.

SusanTL
10-08-2006, 05:23 AM
Hi.

The outfits are both cute.I think you need a little work on your hair.I would broush out the frount and style in some bangs to frame your face more. Also use a softer foundation and lipgloss, along with more shadow and eyeliner.

may girls forget that your hair is a metifore for who you are. Long feminine styled hair just screams to every one - I am a girl, and I love being a girl.

Hugs sister, go for it.

Susan

Sandra
10-08-2006, 06:32 AM
The long boots are better, then you can post the other to me :D

Siobhan Marie
10-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Yes I think a jacket would be a good idea
Just in case it gets cold
But you do look good
And good luck

:iagree: with Barb on the coat. Love the long boots, they so go with your outfit, me want a pair.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

fionasboots
10-08-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi.
The outfits are both cute.I think you need a little work on your hair.I would broush out the frount and style in some bangs to frame your face more. Also use a softer foundation and lipgloss, along with more shadow and eyeliner.

Well I can agree with the hair suggestion, and a fringe, as Robin suggested, would be better - and it would give me something to sort of hide behind. Will see what I can do ... I probably need to buy another wig but haven't really got the money for that at the moment :(

As for foundation, by "softer" do you mean in terms of colour or type of foundation? I was trying to look for a power foundation (the ones I have are liquid) since I think this may remove alot of shine and alos smooth out the appearance of my skin. Could you recommend something?

may girls forget that your hair is a metifore for who you are. Long feminine styled hair just screams to every one - I am a girl, and I love being a girl.

Hugs sister, go for it.

Susan

Lisa Golightly
10-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Why not?...

fionasboots
10-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Why not?...

'cos I'm scared :eek:

Lisa Golightly
10-08-2006, 08:17 AM
'cos I'm scared :eek:

Fear is a personal thing... Having had a somewhat troubled childhood where both of my parents had near death experiences whilst I was young and impressionable, I guess I evolved a 'carpe diem' personality.

What is there to be afraid of? Fear is the only thing to be afraid of in my experience.

stephanie100
10-08-2006, 08:20 AM
From your last post is this the first time you will have been out dressed dont be scarred it will make yyou nervous and that will show just be yourself. I agree about the hair a scarf around the neck would go well as well.
:hugs: steph

Kimberly
10-08-2006, 08:21 AM
Go with the black boots. And you may be frightened - but it's not that bad. Honest :D

You will feel so liberated whilst out, and most people don't care how you're dressed :)

fionasboots
10-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Okay, I think I may have been wrong about the coat thing - just went outside in drab - t-shirt and jeans and it's freezing!

So what do you girls think about these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5056934

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2906142?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=jacket+in+Women%27s+Apparel&origin=searchresults

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=203236&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205528&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results#

Actually there appears to be too much choice!

I would like to get a short, casual jacket (I like brown at the moment) and a long coat. I know where the following stores are: Macys, Old Navy, Walmart, Nordstrom, Gap, JCPenny, Dillards (these last two aren't open today from what I can gather).

Hmmm, personal shoppers for CDs? I think there would be a market there :heehee:

Byllie
10-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Fiona!

Ankle boots with a skirt were fashionable in the late 70s - early 80s, but I never really liked the look. [snip]
Robin

At my university I see lots of women in short skirts, with leggings and ankle boots.

Phoebe Reece
10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Fiona,

I think the tall boots look more appropriate with that outfit. A pair of pumps would work well also. If it is cool enough out, wear a jacket. If it is warm, there is nothing wrong with your outfit as it is. Get on out the door, girl!

Stacy GG
10-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Okay, I think I may have been wrong about the coat thing - just went outside in drab - t-shirt and jeans and it's freezing!

So what do you girls think about these:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5056934

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2906142?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=jacket+in+Women%27s+Apparel&origin=searchresults

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=203236&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=205528&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results#

Actually there appears to be too much choice!

I would like to get a short, casual jacket (I like brown at the moment) and a long coat. I know where the following stores are: Macys, Old Navy, Walmart, Nordstrom, Gap, JCPenny, Dillards (these last two aren't open today from what I can gather).

Hmmm, personal shoppers for CDs? I think there would be a market there :heehee:

of the choices , I'd say the Wal-mart and nordstrom are the best choices. they go best with the rest of the outfit

Dian
10-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Fiona, I love th elook of the outfit with the long boots. The ankle boots work, but I think the long one look better with the outfit.

I found that having a light long coat to wear on my first time out was a big help. The weather got colder than I expected while out, and it was nice to be able to "hide" in it after I stepped out of the car on the way to the resturant. As my wife and I walked around after dinner, just enjoying being out, I let the coat hang open more, the only comment we got all evening was a "good evening ladies".

That first time out the door for an adventure out is both terrifing and a thrill! I found it terrifying right up to the moment I openned the hotel room door and stepped out, then it was a thrill! Ok, at time a very nervous thrill, but still great! If you have the chance to, get out there and enjoy!

Dian

joycem
10-08-2006, 02:16 PM
yo might want a coat incase it gets cold. I like the boots.

zoe jordon
10-08-2006, 02:22 PM
I think you look amazing can i come out with you!!!!

fionasboots
10-08-2006, 02:29 PM
I think you look amazing can i come out with you!!!!

At the moment, as I sit here arguing with myself, I would give anything to have someone come out with me!

Sadly you appear to be on the wrong continent! :rolleyes:

Many thanks for the offer and kinds words (I don't really think I look *that* good, honestly, I'm nowhere near as stunning as most of the girls here).

Angie G
10-08-2006, 02:31 PM
The outfit is good go with the higher boots looks better with the skirt :hugs:
Angie

fionasboots
10-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Well I did go out! Not very far, just to the car, had a drive around and then back again!

I was going to be ambitious and drive to a store and buy something but thought better of it!

Got a few stares but nothing too bad and was VERY lucky to actually avoid meeting anyone close up.

Felt REALLY nice to walk across the car park in those boots!

So now ... I need to do it again!

I think I'll go and get my coat and jacket first (en drab) so that I'm a little more prepared for bad weather (when does it start to snow in Utah!). As it turned out it was really very warm (still is) so no need for a jacket ... in fact I could have done with a lighter top!

Maybe try going to a store when it's dark next, at least that way I will likely be hidden for the walk from/to the car.

Anyway ... that was fun, sadly short, but I *really* liked walking in the heels!

Jasmine Ellis
10-08-2006, 05:00 PM
hi Fiona
I love your outfit very lovely and the boots mmmmmm, wonderful, you do take a great picture now go out and have some fun and take pictures :hugs:

Sky
10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Congrats on your outing, Fiona -now go for more!

A word of advice based on various things you said: long, heavy coat + liquid foundation + not so cold weather + you being a warm person = beware! I am on the warm side myself and I've had uncomfortable makeup meltaways after a long day out in the sun, or in heated places. Use setting powder over your foundation -and keep it in your purse to retouch every now and then. And wear lighter coats than the weather would suggest. Cold weather is indeed a tgirl's best friend.

tekla west
10-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Long boots, not the short ones, and yes, bring a coat, ya never know.

pinkshelly
10-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Long boots fur sure. The coat for warmth, not a jacket for assesery. I think that would be too much. Ya don't want to do the formal thing unless you are going somewhere formal. Like my step daughter says "you don't want your clothes to say here I am", and call too much attention. But what does a 17 yr old girl know. LOL.
Huggs, Shelly.

fionasboots
10-09-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4891063

Well, I managed to go out and drive around a bit but clearly a coat is going to be a must for next time ... actually I quite like the idea of crunching through snow in high-heeled boots :D Hmmm, have the boots, just need the snow!

Anyway one coat I found in Walmart is black with faux-fur collar and I think I'll go an get this tonight.

However, they have the above coat as well on clearance, only $31. Now, I have some black peep-toe heels that have white piping around them in much the same way as this trench coat does. And I have some black trousers which I like to wear with these along with a light blouse. I think it's a sort of stylish going out look!

Anyway, I just wondered if the trench coat (with white piping) would go with the shoes or would be too much? I guess it would go but I'm not sure whether over-coordinating would make it look silly.

Sabrina Flowers
10-09-2006, 04:37 PM
I think the outfits are great and you look great too, as others have said the longer boots are probaly the best option to wear, but I have seen a number of GG out and about wearing ankle boots with skirts.
Nice to hear that you ventured out, even if only in the car, keep letting us know if you go further. well done.

fionasboots
10-09-2006, 08:11 PM
Congrats on your outing, Fiona -now go for more!

Well I want to, won't have time for the rest of this week I don't think, maybe next weekend.

A word of advice based on various things you said: long, heavy coat + liquid foundation + not so cold weather + you being a warm person = beware! I am

Well me+no coat+going out first time was a pretty close thing in the make-up dept ... I was perspiring terribly :heehee:

on the warm side myself and I've had uncomfortable makeup meltaways after a long day out in the sun, or in heated places. Use setting powder over your foundation -and keep it in your purse to retouch every now and then. And wear lighter coats than the weather would suggest. Cold weather is indeed a tgirl's best friend.

Well, hopefully I'll get alot of cold weather, snow, and such before I leave Utah, I'm here into the beginning of November so there's got to be some days that are going to be cold enough.

Thanks for the advice, I'd been talking to Jasmine about make-up and she said I needed to get some powder as well so it looks like that is on my shopping list.

fionasboots
10-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Well I liked this coat:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5056934

So I bought that. I asked about this one (to go with black heels with white piping ... wasn't sure if it would go ... I got it and I think it does :D

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4891063

But I wanted a jacket also ... so I got this

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4891008

Tried the first one on in the shop and it fitted fine so I didn't bother trying the rest on as I thought the sizing would be the same ... which it seems to be.

Tried them all on again when I got back to the hotel and I think they all look and feel fabulous :love:

Okay, I know, I should have shares in Walmart but all the Jackets were George which is actually pretty good and too be honest this is all I can afford at the moment ... not too mention I'd be too embarrassed to go in a smaller clothes shop, least you can hide in super markets :tongueout

Oh, and I got a handbag/purse/whatever you want to call it ... had one before but it was bright blue and had only a short strap ... that one is now a make-up bag so I needed a new one :rolleyes:

So I am now broke but quite happy that I have a fully femme wardrobe! Just have to get the opportunity and courage to go out again!

Thanks for everyone's advice and supportive words, you really have helped :love:

Bobbie cd
10-09-2006, 08:41 PM
Fiona, congrats on getting out. Even just getting out the door and into the car for a drive can feel like an enormous achievement, I know. I'm still working myself on getting up enough confidence in my look to actually go into a store and interact with people.

I think you look great in the pics. Personally, I like the tall boots better, but then I just like tall boots anyway.

Keep on pushing forward, you can do it! :thumbsup:

Michelle Ellis
10-10-2006, 03:14 PM
WTG Fiona! I must have missed this thread, we were just talking about this a few days ago! Really good to hear you got out a little! :)

M