PDA

View Full Version : Age Appropriate

Kelsy
10-08-2006, 05:49 AM
I Know that in my mind I've always wanted to be a young woman! Eighteen to the mid twenties. I love the styles these ggs wear. But I think for realism's sake I need to dress in a believable manner for a 50 year old. I can have the Young fashions for home wear. But want to dress realistically to venture out. Any fashion directions? What to wear girls???:doll:

Jennifer

axdressa
10-08-2006, 05:56 AM
I find that if i dress roughly about 10 years younger than i am i can get away with it ...... I am 50 also but when dressed i dont look anywhere near that age ... well i hope i dont

hugz Mallisa x

Kate Simmons
10-08-2006, 06:08 AM
You have to experiment to develop your own style, Hon. You can get "feedback" from others whether they say anything or not. Just watch the facial expressions and body language when you "present" as your femme self. That's how I developed my style. I never let "fashion" dictate to me, however. I wear what I consider to be comfortable. :happy: Ericka/Rich

Eugenie
10-08-2006, 06:28 AM
Age isn't the only thing to consider when one makes a choice for clothes. I think that clothes choice depends also a lot of your overal figures.

If you are tall and slim, younger style may well suit you, but if, as me, you are on the plump side, then it is better to stick to the style corresponding to your age group. Note that this leaves one with a lot of choices these days... It is no longer the case that a woman wearing XL size has to dress in black with conservative style clothes.

My GG friend who is about ten years older than me helped me finding modern style age appropriate clothes for me.

As a side, but related comment, some of us tend to dress in a style that was in fashion a long time ago. I wander if it isn't the image of the mother that is still there...
:hugs:
Eugenie

Beth-GDB
10-08-2006, 06:57 AM
Jennifer, I'm in the same basic situation. If I look at the types of clothes I've been buying, I have to admit that most of them are aimed at 20-somethings, and my 20-something use-by date expired quite a while ago. I don't have an SO, or a close GG friend I feel ok outing myself to, so I've been considering getting in touch with a "personal image consultant" to get advice on what styles, cuts and colours will work for me and which ones won't, as well as help with general behaviour, deportment and mannerisms to develop a femme presentation that won't make me look like a laughingstock in public. I'm not aiming for a presentation that will be 100% convincing, as long as it's good enough that people won't bother/harrass me if I'm in girl-mode in public then that's good enough for me.

Karen Johnson
10-08-2006, 07:22 AM
What I picture myself as in my mind and what I see in the mirror are two different things. I am also 50, very masculine build and a little overweight. So, I am restricted in what I can get away with.

What I do is wear what I like. Certain styles and colors appeal to me. I like skirts that are above the knee, but not too short and not too tight. I have a couple of black skirts that go well with many tops. And I like colors that are bright but not gaudy.

And I have a wife that will let me know when things just aren't working. For me, I try to go with things that I'm personally comfortable in and colors I like. It's nice to look in the mirror and think, "Not bad!"

Karren H
10-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Well there's no way I'm going to dress my age!! Go get some support hose and an old frumpy dress!! Think again. Hehe

Just because your old doesn't mean you can't dress feminine or stylish or younger!! Just go to the local mall or department store and see what the other "middle aged" chicks are wearing!! And pickup some style magazines.. Observe and learn!! That's what I do!!

Love Karren

Lisa Golightly
10-08-2006, 08:08 AM
This time of the year? Something warm.

MarinaTwelve200
10-08-2006, 08:25 AM
I say dress the age you appear to be--Im 57 but dont look it in fem. So I dress like mid 30s.

Samantha B L
10-08-2006, 08:51 AM
I understand your concerns,Jennifer.I think that most all of us know that glitter makeup and pink plastic telephones aren't quite fitting for people over like 25.But there's other considerations.While I enjoy many clothing items that are conservative I also think that oldtimerism is for The Waltons and Mayberry RFD.I have an aunt that is past 70 years old and she has always refused to wear certain kinds of Senior items.In fact,she dresses like a 20 year old.With the help of tinted hair and the fact that she's built thin but not skinny it all comes together to look just fine.But I do think that people should wear the neckties,suits,etc.for special ocaisions,weddings,funerals,etc.. Samantha

Snookums
10-08-2006, 09:49 AM
I refuse to dress like a grandma

Kate Simmons
10-08-2006, 09:55 AM
I refuse to dress like a grandma I respect that Snookums, but I AM a Grandma (and Grandpa) and don't mind, really:happy: Ericka

Sandra
10-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Just because your old doesn't mean you can't dress feminine or stylish or younger!!

I agree with you here but the bit about "younger", yes maybe a few years younger but what does stand out is a 40 something trying to dress like a 20 year old and then they wonder why people stare and make comments.

justtwosexy
10-08-2006, 11:54 AM
I agree with a lot of the comments about how you should dress to look good but on the other hand a lot of times I dress in a manner that makes me feel good....even though I may look ridiculous....well at least I think I do....lol...but who cares anyways

Michelle

Karren H
10-08-2006, 12:19 PM
I agree with you here but the bit about "younger", yes maybe a few years younger but what does stand out is a 40 something trying to dress like a 20 year old and then they wonder why people stare and make comments.

So a 54 year old guy dressing like an 18 year old girl could be problematic? Hehe

Hmmmmmm.....Maybe they weren't staring at me because they thought I was a guy in a dress afterall......

:D

Love Karren

Glenda58
10-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Dear we're all dressing as women so wht not also go younger. If I dress my age I wouldn't dress at all. Women can dress younger with makeup anti age creams you can't tell how old they are. So not wanting be to a 59 year old man I can be a 40 something woman I hope.

whisky12
10-08-2006, 01:04 PM
I Know that in my mind I've always wanted to be a young woman! Eighteen to the mid twenties. I love the styles these ggs wear. But I think for realism's sake I need to dress in a believable manner for a 50 year old. I can have the Young fashions for home wear. But want to dress realistically to venture out. Any fashion directions? What to wear girls???:doll:

Jennifer Im sixty and still love rubber.pvc. seen this somewere[be yourselef and not what pepople thinkyou should be]:thumbsup:

suzi_cd
10-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Im sixty and still love rubber.pvc. seen this somewere[be yourselef and not what pepople thinkyou should be]:thumbsup:

Too True!

I guess at the end of the day the real clincher is why you dress. If you dress because you really want to look like a woman then dressing your age is probably more important. If you dress for the fun of it then its not as important. Since I slimmed down I've been wearing a lot of club style clothes - cropped tops and so on. Its stuff that 20 year olds would wear but it makes me feel so good so...... :D :D

Nigella
10-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Forever and a day we are asking society to accept that we are not an aberation, we will not be molesting anyone, we are people who just want to do what we want, when we want and within the law.

Society always frowns upon the "mutton dressed as lamb", and yet some of us want to add that little item to the melting pot and then complain when we get a bad name.

Some seem not just content to "buck" society once by wearing a dress, they then want to rub salt in it and dress like a teenager.

It's ok for the club or the privacy of your home, but for the high street? :rolleyes:

susie bear
10-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Forever and a day we are asking society to accept that we are not an aberation, we will not be molesting anyone, we are people who just want to do what we want, when we want and within the law.

Society always frowns upon the "mutton dressed as lamb", and yet some of us want to add that little item to the melting pot and then complain when we get a bad name.

Some seem not just content to "buck" society once by wearing a dress, they then want to rub salt in it and dress like a teenager.

It's ok for the club or the privacy of your home, but for the high street? :rolleyes:

I think you are right on.

susie bear

Sandra
10-08-2006, 03:02 PM
No matter what anyone says or any advice that is given you will all just go and do your own thing and that is fine.

If girls want to go out looking a lot younger than their age fair enough but don't get all high and mighty when you are laughed at and made the butt of jokes.

We have a hard enough time as it is trying to get the public to accept the TG community and when people go out dressed inappropriately for their age it is one step forward two steps back.

Im sixty and still love rubber.pvc. seen this somewere[be yourselef and not what pepople thinkyou should be]:thumbsup:

Guilty it's in my signature and I agree with it but it says "be yourself" meaning that if you are TG then then that is what you are, next bit "and not what others think you should be" meaning that you are what you are and not what society thinks you should be. Simple really. :)

Too True!

I guess at the end of the day the real clincher is why you dress. If you dress because you really want to look like a woman then dressing your age is probably more important. If you dress for the fun of it then its not as important. Since I slimmed down I've been wearing a lot of club style clothes - cropped tops and so on. Its stuff that 20 year olds would wear but it makes me feel so good so...... :D :D

I totally agree if you are at home wear what you like but in the street it just don't work.

You all want to go shopping and mingle and be part of the crowd so why dress in a way that gets you noticed for the worng reasons.

Kelsy
10-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the posts!!
all of this is very good advice> Ithink most of you are right, dress what you feel! I think I feel age apropriate minus 10 maybe 15! as for society well what are they afraid of?? somethin in the closet maybe? and what about freedom? are you free if someone else dictates what freedom is? You girls are the best
and you know how to make someone feel welcome!! thanks to all

luv Jennifer

Phoebe Reece
10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
I think it is more important to dress appropriate for the activity than to "dress your age". If you dress only at home - anything goes. If you are going clubbing - something flashy and short is fine, no matter the age. If you are going to the mall - your clubbing outfit will likely seem very much out of place. Most young girls will be in jeans and t-shirt for most activities. I have seen plenty of older GG's in classy and stylish dresses or skirtsuits in restaurants, church, or special events. Dressing your age really has more to do with maturity in fashion choices than with the question of whether or not a 50 or 60 something should be wearing a mini skirt.

Snookums
10-09-2006, 06:41 PM
I respect that Snookums, but I AM a Grandma (and Grandpa) and don't mind, really:happy: Ericka

hi girlfriend,grandmas are cool,I loved both of mine very much,and was heartbroken when both passed,my SO is a grandma,and I'm crazy about her,I just don't want to dress like my grandmas did.
They both were farmers wives.

Billie Jean
10-10-2006, 01:18 PM
I agree with you here but the bit about "younger", yes maybe a few years younger but what does stand out is a 40 something trying to dress like a 20 year old and then they wonder why people stare and make comments.My girl friend is in her late forties and she can wear the styles the twenty somethings wear and look just as good if not better than most of them. It depends on your size shape and features as to what you are able to wear. Billie Jean:2c:

Nigella
10-10-2006, 01:32 PM
My girl friend is in her late forties and she can wear the styles the twenty somethings wear and look just as good if not better than most of them. It depends on your size shape and features as to what you are able to wear. Billie Jean:2c:

I agree here Billie Jean, but your girlfriend has the right body shape and features to be able to carry it off.

Most if not all TGs don't :2c:

Vivian Best
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Just because your old doesn't mean you can't dress feminine or stylish or younger!! Just go to the local mall or department store and see what the other "middle aged" chicks are wearing!! And pickup some style magazines.. Observe and learn!! That's what I do!!

Love Karren

And you do it quite well my dear!

ANA
10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Hi all

Was just reading about dressing you age. i am 60 years old about 5" 9 " tall about 150 Lbs.and think i look good wearing skirts that are about 2" above the knee with 3 to 4 " heels andf i think it looks goods. i am a closet dresser and never go out in public have never got up a enough nerve pluas have a wife that does not aprove

Ranee Daze
10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
I think that your dressed age depends on your reasons and motivations for dressing. For me there still happily a huge erotic element to my dressing. In a way I am providing my own girlfriend. With that in mind, and being 49 years old, well most mid fourties women I know from a dating site I'm on, well turn-ons they ain't. I would much rather be with a fashion conscious, fit, active vivacious 35 year old.
What a sexist old lesbian I've become!!!

Lilith Moon
10-10-2006, 02:00 PM
We were shopping in Marks & Spencer yesterday, that's a UK department store. We were in the "Young fashions" section and I noticed that the age range of customers in there was twenties to sixties, all interested in the same styles. So, hopefully, the idea of "dressing your age" may not be the big issue that it used to be.

Nigella
10-10-2006, 02:01 PM
This thread has generated a good response, both for and against dressing your age.

I am not a clubbing type of person, prefering a quite meal and drink, so most of my clothing is appropriate for my age and surroundings, that is not to say that I don't have the odd short skirt and heels, but they are 99% of the time for home use.

Of those of you who "dress younger" do you do it in private, at clubs or in the high street and what sort of reactions have you had?

We were shopping in Marks & Spencer yesterday, that's a UK department store. We were in the "Young fashions" section and I noticed that the age range of customers in there was twenties to sixties, all interested in the same styles. So, hopefully, the idea of "dressing your age" may not be the big issue that it used to be.

Style and dressing appropriate for age are not the same thing, most items of clothing comes in differing lengths nowadays and the whole ensemble determines whether it is appropriate not just one item.

GG Vanya
10-10-2006, 02:05 PM

But who's to say they were all shopping for themselves? Some of those sixties women could have been shopping for their sixty year old CD husband who thinks he looks forty years younger when he's enfemme. :D :p

Lanore
10-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Dressing younger? When I look around at the people who try and look younger, they don't look younger, they look made up. I mean, these people stand out. Dark hair, rugs and heavy makeup. The older they get, the more they have to put it on.

I look at women who accept their age. How they dress, how they talk and how they walk. They are the ones who look good. I learn a lot from these women. It's how I want to be.

Age is like a car. A lot of people want the newest thing, but everyone would love to have an old one, that looks good.

Lanore

kayla1003
10-10-2006, 10:14 PM
i always try to dress like a younger hotter girl version of me
Lots of heels, longerie, and skirts- short

Snookums
10-11-2006, 12:25 AM
Dressing younger? When I look around at the people who try and look younger, they don't look younger, they look made up. I mean, these people stand out. Dark hair, rugs and heavy makeup. The older they get, the more they have to put it on.

I look at women who accept their age. How they dress, how they talk and how they walk. They are the ones who look good. I learn a lot from these women. It's how I want to be.

Age is like a car. A lot of people want the newest thing, but everyone would love to have an old one, that looks good.

Lanore

Lanore,thats why I don't try to pass,there isn't enough makeup,or bondo that could help me look as good as some of you look

noname
10-11-2006, 01:16 AM
I'm in my early thirtys and always dress like I'm in my early 20's. Of course people most always guess I'm about 10 years younger than I am. :) and that is just fine by me. I refuse to ever dress old, that just will not happen.

Khriss
10-11-2006, 02:07 AM
..sad ..teeny-boppers..still exist in the GG spectrum too perhaps ??
though ..not that sad realy..If they feel comfortable.. dressed in those ways eh ??
... I luv miniskirts ...wearing wize .. Ohh well eh?.. xx"K
(agirlwithknobbyknees !)

Sandra
10-11-2006, 03:38 AM

Lanore

What a sensible post.

Bev06 GG
10-11-2006, 04:50 AM
My girl friend is in her late forties and she can wear the styles the twenty somethings wear and look just as good if not better than most of them. It depends on your size shape and features as to what you are able to wear. Billie Jean:2c:

Absolutely Billie Jean. And who says that 50-60 year old grandmas wear frumpy dresses anyhow. Most women make more effort with their dressing nowadays. Im 45 and still like going clubbing in a short black dress or a pair of very tight bootleg trousers. I agree with Billie, its more to do with size shape and features, and of course personality. I dont however, personally like to see 40plus CDs dressing up as school girls or young teens, but then thats just my personal opinion, each to their own and do what you enjoy, just dont moan when people make unkind comments.
Take care
BEVxxxx

Terry
10-11-2006, 08:48 PM
HI; JENNIFER

I,am also well over 60, but also like the look some of the newer clothes that are out there, but not to young if you know what I mean.As I,am not a large type I can find alot of nice things that can make you look somewhat young without giving in to the age thing.At this stage of my life and as many other have said just enjoy who you are.

Love is in my heart

Terry:love:

trannie T
10-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I dress as a woman of my advanced age -59-. I would prefer to dress like a skanky 14 year old but fear that a 6'3" 350# old guy in a mini skirt would be at great risk from the style police.

ubokvt
10-11-2006, 09:45 PM
As an 39+ lady I learned a long time ago to acept myself and be good with how I looked. I dresses as appropiate and expected for social ocassions, weddings, funerals, and when the children brought thier friends over, that was the hardest never knew what would be lame. But the rest of the time I dressed for me, what felt corfortable, what mood i was in, why should you change now. part of the fun is developing a ward robe that is you, not what every one else says it should be. want to go back to "Hey is your mother still dressing you" get in touch with who you are and what makes you feel pretty. try it all if you want. I've boy cloths I only wore once why not dresses thats life