PDA

View Full Version : Like I said, out at Drama College

Kimberly
10-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Well, what a great first two weeks it's been at college.

On many posts here, I talked about coming out at college - just being myself, and dressing how I want. Well, that is well in motion!

Within the first few days, my flatmates and I were sharing secrets, who we were as people, etc... and my flatmate Sarah said, "So... tell us something we don't know about you." So I did :devil:
The reaction I got was impressive! :p They asked me again and again, "Really? Really?!" And then ran into my room and started going through my clothes. Hehe... It was actually me who wasn't entirely comfortable with it, so I had to stop them. (Oh the irony.)

Once they knew, it wasn't long before they started asking me the usual questions, "How often will you dress? What kind? All out girl, or just a mix of both?" To which I tried to answer as best I could.

Then the opportunity came up. School disco. I had a school uniform with me... just so happens it was schoolgirl, rather than schoolboy.... :D So, with some thought and doubt, I decided to go out in sunny Sidcup - friday night - in drag to a school disco night. As we all left as a group, I got a lot of nice comments, most being quite jokey, but complimentary.

I've got some great memories of that night: the bouncer - who looked at my male ID and then literally double-took me... "Fair enough, mate, fair enough." Then my acting student friends - one girl who looked like she'd seen a herd of wilderbeast running at her. "I won't be able to look at you the same in our lessons any more!!"
Althought the thing that annoyed me most about that night was the number of people asking, "Are you gay?" We still haven't cured that connection, people -- even in the younger generation.

A few good things happened that night... One was that whoever asked me anything about my costume, "Whose shoes are you wearing" etc... I told them the truth. "Mine." So the conversation evolved from there. I came out to a lot of interested people and I've had no bad reactions.
One guy also said, "excuse me, ladies," to a friend and I -- which was great.

Then, friday just gone, I wore 3 1/2 inch boots to college, under some long jeans. I don't think a lot of people noticed, but in the pub, I went on another tranny rampage and had to explain myself and transgenderism to some quite confused directors. Bless him, this guy was trying his best. "Surely it's just a hobbie, like a fetish?"
"No no no no no no no no!" I had to reply. It's hard to explain myself, (especially after four pints.) Trying to say, I want to express myself as male and female all depends on how open the other person is I guess.
"So you want to change your body? You're a girl in a guy's body?"
"No... not exactly." Thankfully another girl turned it round:
"So you're like in-between."
"Yeah, like... Bi-Gendered."
"You bisexual too?"
"Yeah."
"I thought so."

So... very drunkadly, at 1am, I walked half an hour home from the pub - with no problems. And I don't live in the nicest place in London. But lessons are to be learnt -- be open with people, and they will respect. I don't actually expect people to understand me, I just expect them to respect the way I choose to live my life. The next hurdle is going into college fully en-fem. It will happen, but I'm not sure when yet. I'm getting used to going about enfem in the flat though, (with three other flatmates, and lots of random knocks on the door.)

One thing that has bugged me, though, is that the Student Union has a Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual officer...

So where's the "Transgendered" on the end of that abbreviation!?

Going to have to make a change to that, I think. I'll be paying her a visit. :p

But anyway, good times are being had - coming out to a college full of new people.

QZ2
10-08-2006, 10:11 AM
Kimberly, I admire your courage and honesty. We need more people like you. And your suggestion of seeing the GLB officer with suggestions can only help you and the rest of us.

Good on you for being yourself.

Love, Susie

Katrina
10-08-2006, 11:01 AM
Kimberly,
Congrats on being yourself! I envy you.

Phoebe Reece
10-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Way to go Kimberly! My hat is off to you. What you have done requires some major courage.

Robin Leigh
10-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Well, what a great first two weeks it's been at college.

On many posts here, I talked about coming out at college - just being myself, and dressing how I want. Well, that is well in motion!
I'm so happy that your plans are unfolding so nicely, Kimberly. :happy:

One thing that has bugged me, though, is that the Student Union has a Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual officer...

So where's the "Transgendered" on the end of that abbreviation!?

Going to have to make a change to that, I think. I'll be paying her a visit. :p

Maybe invite her to a "T" party. :heehee:

Robin

Stacy GG
10-08-2006, 11:26 AM
good luck and have fun in college:)

Helen MC
10-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Great News! I wish you well Kimberley!

Amelia Moxon
10-08-2006, 12:04 PM
I haven't posted here for a while but I have stopped by occasionally
Kim, hun that is wonderful, it is great to have so many accepting people letting you be yourself without putting you down, and going through your clothes, Jeez girls just don't know when to quite, :D

I haven't been out much myself as all of my money has been going into the petrol tank of my car.

There will hopefully be more fun times ahead for you

Hugs
Amelia xxx

Karren H
10-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Very cool Kimberly!!! Sounds like a great start.....you are the drama queen!!! :D

Love Karren

trannie T
10-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Wow! You're doing good, girl. You're an inspiration to those of us still hidden in the closet.

gennee
10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
That's wonderful to hear, Kimberley. College campus tend to be more open to new things and I wish you continued success in your journey.

Gennee

Siobhan Marie
10-08-2006, 02:21 PM
well done you, you do realise that you've turned me into a green eyed monster with jealousy?

huge :hugs: Anna Marie x

KateLongman27
10-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Well done but remember that College/Unversity is one of the most intense competitive environments you're going to face.

I wish you all the best for the future however one piece of advice from the Godfather Films..."Keep your friends close, your enemies closer"

Take it easy.

Di
10-08-2006, 02:58 PM
Wow talk about an awesome two weeks.... Kimberly, I admire your courage.............Well done :thumbsup:

Eileen
10-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Kimberly we need more girls like you to be open and help people to understand who we are! I am so happy for you!

Eileen

Kimberly
10-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Way to go Kimberly! My hat is off to you. What you have done requires some major courage.
Or maybe just blind stupidity. :p

I am fully aware that this could come back to bite me on the ass... but like my flatmate said, "This is one of the last taboos to be broken."

I'm here to break it. In sidcup, at least.

:happy:

Dragster
10-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Kimberly, I can see you're going to have a ball in college!! Oops, you already are!

Amelia, you'll have more money if drive more slowly so you don't have to put so much fuel in that Focus ST of yours. But that's not as much fun, is it?

Tony

Angie G
10-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Kimberly you go girl proud to call you a sister hun :hugs:
angie

ebony_tgirl
10-08-2006, 08:07 PM
wow ... that's really nice ... during our orientation we had an equity workshop and spoke about the LBGT community, and emphasized the hardships faced by this community ... and people were appalled and expressed their tolerance and acceptance for such a community ... now after hearing this, I was pretty enthusiastic ... maybe I'd get a chance to come out? ... but after the equity workshoop i realized that my optimism was unfounded ... it's especially prejudice in my faculty (physical education and health) and now I don't know if I can come out, I'm really scared ... well for the halloween pub night ive decided to be storm (halle barry's character from x-men lol) and i guess well I'll gauge everyone's reaction ... it's a start i guess, I can't repress my desire to well be myself forever .. well i hope you can continue to be yourself on campus! :)

Carroll
10-08-2006, 08:09 PM
one reason Ithaca, NY is so tolerante of LBGT is because of the two little schools we have here, Cornell University and Ithaca Collage. Young adults exploring themselfs

Kimberley
10-08-2006, 08:42 PM
Excellent hon.

You are definitely breaking new ground both for yourself and others. Just a minor caution, be careful. Take precautions to not be caught enfemme alone with the wrong jacka**es surrounding you.

Keep up the good work!

Kimberley.

Bobbi Lynn
10-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Way to go!! Have fun!

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-09-2006, 01:41 AM
That's great Kimberly! Eddie will be proud someone else heeded the call. The more of us who come out, the more folks are going to see we're just regular folks.

It's hard to explain myself, (especially after four pints.) Trying to say, I want to express myself as male and female all depends on how open the other person is I guess.

One "sound bite" answer I use is: "Sometimes being one gender just isn't enough."

I don't actually expect people to understand me, I just expect them to respect the way I choose to live my life.

Exactly. It's nice if they understand, but as long as they treat me with respect, that's all I ask.

Snookums
10-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Kimberly what you did is sooooooooooooo cooooooooooool

ColleenCD
10-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Very strong Kimberly! You took a step early on in college which will allow you to be yourself for your time there and beyond. Now your "closet" is only a place to store your pretty clothes. Congratulations, you get your diploma early!

Colleen

Kimberly
10-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Congratulations, you get your diploma early!
Degree. :tongueout

British girl, ftw.

tekla west
10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Well, if you can't be out at a Drama College then you can't be out anywhere. So good for you. Hope you get lots of great sex too. Best part of college and all.

The worst thing about them Drama Colleges, all them bleading hearts and artists types. Imagine, letting you be yourself. Damn liberals.

Kimberly
10-09-2006, 06:53 PM
Imagine, letting you be yourself. Damn liberals.
And they still don't have a transgendered officer on the Student Union... only an LGB one! :mad:

StephanieCD
10-09-2006, 06:59 PM
We need more people like you out there. You're an inspiration!

tekla west
10-09-2006, 07:08 PM
OK, girl, that is your first assignment, put the "T" into LGBT for them would you?

Rachel Morley
10-09-2006, 09:19 PM
This is great news Kimberly :happy: I'm very happy for you. I know myself that college girls and guys can be a little more open that mainstream society, so it doesn't come as a complete surprise to me about your fellow students attitudes. But having said that, credit where credits due, I think you make a fantastic ambassador for us in the college community. Have fun, and enjoy being who you are.

Hugs
Angel

Kimberly
10-10-2006, 05:16 PM
OK, girl, that is your first assignment, put the "T" into LGBT for them would you?
Need to actually find the girl in charge of that group... :p

NYsong
10-10-2006, 05:36 PM
I wish I had the courage to do that.....Im pretty much in the same situation, minus the whole coming out......but hey, after reading your story, maybe ill make a better effort to convince myself to come out.

Anyways, congrats!