PDA

View Full Version : Watchful eye

noname
10-09-2006, 03:04 AM
A bit of a rant, feel free to skip, that's all this is.

I had some time to kill at the store while the wife was shopping. So I started browsing though the womens jeans section. Now, I say, I am not afraid to shop for jeans, so I don't think I looked nervous. This lady kept glacing over at me looking so very creeped out, making her way away from one rack away to several racks way rather quickly, while attempting to make it look natural. Then on my way out of the store, I saw some jeans on a manican.(spelling?) These jeans were hot, dark black with contrast color stitching. I liked them a lot. So I'm looking at them, walk around the back side to see them. I then notice a sa staring a bit intently.

I have to ask myself why? Why stare at me? The lady customer was old enough she should remember pants being mens only wear. Does the sa think I'm going to steal the jeans right off the manican? please. Were talking about jeans people, flipping jeans! What is their problem. I can see staring if I look all shady like and I'm stuffing jeans in my jacket or something. What it did was piss me off a bit. I wanted to say, buzz off and leave me alone I'm shopping. Why doesn't any stare at the lady buying mens underwear? Ok, I'm venting.... I would like to tell the world, please grow up.

Lisa Golightly
10-09-2006, 04:11 AM
Maybe it was the Store Detective ;)

Bev06 GG
10-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi Noname,
Unfortunately thats what we are all up against. We are all potential theives or perverts until proved otherwise. I suppose when you consider how much stock goes missing everyday you can't really blame the stores for looking out for something unusual, and I suppose even today, men looking at clothes is regarded as abit out of the ordinary.
I know how you feel tho because the same sort of thing has happened to me too. I usually feel more comfortable when Im browsing when Ive got the kids with me. I suppose its a case of the few theives spoiling it for the many genuine shoppers.
TAke care
BEVxxxx

Kate Simmons
10-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Guess these people were bored and had nothing better to do, Hon. Ericka

jjjjohanne
10-09-2006, 05:04 AM
What's up with that?!? Did they think you were one of those wierdo men who wear jeans? Oh, NO!

:^)

rachelgreencduk
10-09-2006, 05:15 AM
Maybe she thought you were hot.

Tree GG
10-09-2006, 06:24 AM
Maybe she thought you were hot.

Why assume the worst? Maybe her partner CD'd & she was looking for gift ideas. Next time, smile & ask her, "I notice you're staring at me. Can I help you with something?"

Killing people with kindness will either work or give you a good chuckle. Both are good.

Emma England
10-09-2006, 07:38 AM
...how about asking whether the jeans would suit you.

Or saying these are nice arent they?

Muriel
10-09-2006, 07:51 AM
Do what I do, when I notice a store detective seems to be paying too much attention to me and start following them around. Amazing how they soon loose interest. :happy:

Failing that simply go up to them and ask them where certain items are, 9/10 times they don't know and this diverts their attention too.

pinkshelly
10-09-2006, 01:07 PM
Next time maybe ask her if she think you would look good in them and pick up a pair and ask where the dressing room is. Then stand back and watch the reaction.
Huggs, Shelly.

JoAnnDallas
10-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I have had SA's stare at me when I am looking at Lingerie. Guess they never seen a man shop for lingerie before. Usually one will come up and ask if I need any help. I usually will tell them thank you, I am just browsing. I figure that they usually will stare and watch you, if you act nervious. That is usually a warning sign to some. I have had them watch me and then at a moments notice come up to ask if I need help. I figure it depends on the store and the SA.

noname
10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, one was a sa the other was just some lady, seemly creeped out. I guess I don't see why anyone would get creeped out over jeans. If anything I should have been creeped out by a women of her age who knows pants are for men, not women.

Unfortunately thats what we are all up against. We are all potential theives or perverts until proved otherwise. I suppose when you consider how much stock goes missing everyday you can't really blame the stores for looking out for something unusual, and I suppose even today, men looking at clothes is regarded as abit out of the ordinary.

Pervert? If I wanted to get freeky with denim I could go the fabric store and buy yards of it. Store theft happens, but off a manican? a freeking manican? Kind of hard to pull that off with stealth.

True, men not only have the stigma of not wanting clothing shopping, were told from the time we are little that men don't like shopping, and men can't match clothes.

My wife was buying some clothes and the subject of shopping came up. I told the sa I don't like shopping. She made some comment about guys not likeing to shop. I just told her, I'm very particular about my clothes and I won't buy just anything, and that I can spend 3 hours shopping and not find anything, that is what I don't like about shopping.

Bev06 GG: Perhaps you could shed some light why no one bats and eye when a women in the mens underwear section?

Anyway, I guess it's the world we live in.

Karren H
10-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Maybe she thought that women (and crossdressers) shouldn't be wearing jeans!! Period!! Bet if you were looking at dresses or skirts she'd have been cool with that!! Hehehe

Love Karren

Girly Sara
10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Next time maybe ask her if she think you would look good in them and pick up a pair and ask where the dressing room is. Then stand back and watch the reaction.
Huggs, Shelly.

Love that! lol

Snookums
10-09-2006, 07:47 PM
noname we live in a judgemental,superficial world

Jodi
10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
None of us now what kind of body language you were giving off while shopping. Were you hesitant? Were you looking around you while brousing? Were you nervous at all? While working as an SA in a women's clothing store, we were taught to look for and spot the profile of a possible shoplifter. Shoplifters come in all shapes and sizes. When an SA sees anything out of the ordinary, it will grab their attention. We were trained to alert others and never take our eyes off the person.

Women who shop do so in a relaxed manner as they brouse. They are open and friendly. If a customer abruptly cuts off an SA when approached for help, that is one red flag.

So, the advice is to watch how gg's shop. Learn to be comfortable and just blend in. When approached by an SA, be open and friendly. You should have no problem.

If you go in nervous, all eyes will be on you the whole time.

Jodi

noname
10-09-2006, 11:50 PM
None of us now what kind of body language you were giving off while shopping. Were you hesitant? Were you looking around you while brousing? Were you nervous at all?

I'm guessing you haven't read my post fully or other posts. Hesitant? no. Looking around? Yeah, at the clothes. Nervous? Nope. I know many here are nervous shopping. I guess I'm lucky I'm not. It's really no ones business why I'm shopping for an item. A wife, a girlfriend, a sister, a gift of some type. Let me put it this way. I shopped for a dress for my wife for an xmas party because she procrastinated so badly. I also was unable to find the gift I wanted for last year, and bought her a new purse. (side trip here: the sa says, do you need a gift reciept? Well, it's not for me. You never know she said. )

I did work in retail for a few short weeks just after high school. I found most shop lifters were very very very sly, and in some cases they actually worked in groups.

anyway the sa never asked if she could help me. jeans people freaking jeans.