PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded "Clash" (GGs please respond)

Lawren
10-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Pardon my abysmal ignorance but I just cannot get a grip on the concept.

Mixing an matching colors is not too difficult. A little common sense can works. (i. e. green and orange = NO!)

Mixing and matching styles is a bit more difficult. (i. e. little black dresses and athletic shoes = NO!), (denim skirt and silk top = ???)

My real struggle is with patterns. What works and what doesn't? I know stripes, checks, and polka dots do not work in any combination but beyond that I am virtually lost.

I like skirt/top combos because they can provide more variety with fewer items in my wardrobe but I am having a difficult time mixing and matching them. Any tips/suggestions will help.

Thanx,

Lawren

Robin Leigh
10-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm definitely no fashion expert, and my taste is on the more conservative side.

I use the rule: don't mix different patterns. The safest combinations are a patterned top with a plain skirt, or vice versa, but not both patterned. You can sometimes combine similar patterns, like little polka dots with big polka dots, or a large floral print on the skirt, with small floral motifs on the blouse.

The logic here is that the top & bottom garments support each other visually, not fight for attention. One garment should be the main focus, the other garment balances & supports it.

I, too, await the word of the experts. :)

Robin

Tree GG
10-09-2006, 09:12 AM
My real struggle is with patterns. What works and what doesn't? I know stripes, checks, and polka dots do not work in any combination but beyond that I am virtually lost.

Lawren

That's not necessarily true. A nice pin striped or color-on-color print can act as a neutral & any coordinating print will work. If you look at some multi-piece outfits, one piece could be striped & the other polka dots. They "go together" because of the color or fabric or both.

When dealing w/ separates 1 rule of thumb is to not mix prints of same scale. A small print w/ a big print will sometimes work but 2 prints of the same size (even if they coordinate in color & style) will look busy & unpleasing to the eye.

I'm all for silky blouse w/ denim & heels - I think it is a casual, yet polished/sexy look. Jeans are a neutral anymore - they're just a blank canvas to be adorned as you see fit (any color, style, print). And as in art design, each outfit needs a "zinger" - an element that contrasts or adds unexpected visual impact. Squint your eyes out of focus at an outfit and see if one element stands out or everything kinda blurs together. If you match too much, everything will look grey or brown. Too much contrast will chop the visual flow into little pieces.

In all reality, if it looks good to you, it's OK. If someone says you're breaking a fashion rule, just claim the be a Picasso.

admirerplus GG
10-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Lawren,

There have been some very good suggestions so far, which I completely agree with. I may also add that you may wish to keep your body shape in mind when selecting separates.

There is a very good on-line article in Vogue Patterns Magazine, entitled, "Figure it out: How to identify your figure and choose flattering styles". Most CDs have what is called an "Inverted Triangle" body shape. Broad shoulders, a full bust, and heavy upper arms characterize this figure. Inverted triangles tend to be top-heavy with wide shoulders and/or a large bust in relation to the lower body. They can be curvy and voluptuous on top or athletic in build.
http://www.voguepatterns.com/indexfv.html

Amoung other very good information, the article suggests:

Your Goal: Minimize the bust and shoulders and emphasize the hips.

Do:
•Add details such as pockets, patterning, and textural fabrics to the lower half of garments to balance out your appearance.
•Choose styles with drop waists, peplums, and pockets.
•Use raglan sleeves and V-necklines to draw the eye downward.
•Balance out your figure with full skirts.
•Draw attention down and away from bust and shoulders with border prints.

Don’t:
•Use yokes or pattern details that call attention to the shoulders or bust.
•Place pockets on bodice—they’ll make your upper half appear wider.
•Add details such as ruffles to necklines—instead, keep them simple.
•Layer pieces—it adds bulk where you don’t need it.
•Choose styles with wide lapels or shoulder details.
•Wear Capri pants, miniskirts, and narrow silhouettes—they’ll make you look more top heavy.

Julie York
10-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Ooh a new challenge! Green and orange hey?

:D