PDA

View Full Version : Tights (stockings) advice for a UK newbie

Kathryn Philips
10-09-2006, 05:47 PM
My wife is going to a concert this Thursday (12th October) and will have a few hours to myself. Guess what I will be doing whan i am home alone!

I have been using tights "borrowed" from her but they are too small for me (I am 5'10 and she is 5'2). I really have to strech them too much so I have finaly decided to get some of my own. In the UK we now have self serve checkouts at the major supermarkets so I can get some hosiery without having pay at a cashier. But, I also don't want to spend too much time looking in the hosiery section. Can anyone tell me (specially UK girls) if the "Large" size will be suitable for my height and weight (220lb).

I cannot shave so I must be able to conceal my hairy legs (I'm not planning to leave my home dressed, I just want my legs to look feminine). currently I use 2 layers of tights and as you can see from the picture series below (where right pic=2 layers) the end result is reasonable. Has anybody tried using layers of different colours to get close to natural skin colour? If so what conbination of colours can be recommended?

Finally what material should I be looking for, plain nylon or lycra? Could just 1 layer of lycra conceal my hairs?

I know I am asking lots of questions but I am just a beginner (although secretly been wishing I was a girl since the age of 5). It would be great if you could reply ASAP as I only have 2 chances to go to the supermarket before Thursday evening. Many thanks.

xxx
Kattie

StephanieCD
10-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Over the summer, when I couldn't shave I found that I was more satisfied with the look of fishnets or patterned stockings. They have those fashion hose in the drug stores around here. Some have a patterned seam up the side or whatever. But, if they're not sheer I found that I was more pleased with the look. The dark lines override the hair whereas the hose and tights just SHOW the hair. Try a pair of patterned tights. A tight fishnet pattern can be professional or tarty, depending on what you're going for.

After a summer with hairy legs, I think that's what pleased me the most.

carol ann
10-09-2006, 06:25 PM
220lb - I would suggest you go to Marks & Spencers and but their extra-large. 20 denier silky are very good value - 3 pairs for £5

Dragster
10-09-2006, 07:14 PM
There's usually a size chart on the back of most tights packets, but I'm sure Carol ann is right, you'll need M&S extra large. If I want to hide the hair, I use a tan pair first, but I like sheer black on top for a sexy look!

Tony

Kathryn Philips
10-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I don't have much time now but I just could not wait to post pictures of me with tights that actually fit me and are not half way up my thighs hidden behind the skirt. I'll explain in another posting my adventure obtain these tights. The unusual smile on my face is because being able to wear my skirt made me a very happy woman.

xxx
Kattie
ps THANKS GIRLS FOR YOUR USEFUL ADVICE

secrets
10-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Kattie, your last photo looks good, whatever you wore there is fine.
If you wear more than one layer you get a strange effect from the weave of both layers, what I find works well is wear plain cheap 20 denier supermarket tights underneath with some shiney lycra tights on top either in a plain colour or black as suggested by dragster.
I have a pair of 70 denier flesh coloured tights that I wore out tonight, they cover all and are quite respectable on their own.

shawnaraylynn
10-12-2006, 04:36 PM
My true hope is that someday all of the rest of you can experience the enjoyment of shaving iv been shaved for 12 yrs and would never go back. i just told my wife that the hair on my ody hel sweat and stink and i just didnt like it Worked for me.:2c:

sophie69
10-12-2006, 04:39 PM
Shaving is def the way to go..... unbelievable! Not so good in the summer though......! lol Sophie x

secrets
10-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Shaved legs is certainly a great experience and one I can recommend, but I wish it was easier to acheive! so painful :(

sophie69
10-12-2006, 04:57 PM
i tried wax.... wowno way! i must have been doing something wrong..... mach 3 all the way for me! lol sophie x

Sam-antha
10-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Cannot say that I have noticed the weave effect before...
For me, I reckon that two layers are sufficient without bothering with colour changes. But then my hairs are blondish.

AprilMae
10-12-2006, 07:31 PM
It might be hard the first time, but don't be worried about buying hosiery in the supermarket, even if you have to use a human cashier. I've been buying pantyhose in the supermarket since my teen years sometimes for myself but often for my mom, girlfriend, etc. Anytime I go in for groceries throw a pair of pantyhose or some knee high's in the basket. No one is going to care.

Kathryn Philips
10-13-2006, 06:21 PM
The picture below shows the other tights I bought this week. I am wearing 2 layers of 15 denier bamboo coloured ones. Buying these almost cost me being caught out by my wife. On the day I bought them I lost my debit card and when I realised next morning, I phoned home to check if the card was not in the shirtpocket I had used the day before. All she found was the receipt which included 2 entries for the tights. Fortunatelly these were abbreviated beyond recognition and when she asked me what I had bought, I was able to tell her it was something else (phew!).

By the way can someone tell me how to tell when tights are the right way round. I have noticed there are 2 small horizontal lines (usually dark coloured) near the top edge. Do these go in front or behind?

Karren H
10-13-2006, 09:24 PM
Try this, bleach your leg hairs with a blonde hair color...and thin them out somewhat with a mustach or hair trimmer with a depth guide....then they won't show under regular hose..

Love Karren

Kathryn Philips
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
The first set of tights I bought this week were size large not x-large. The fiest ime I put them on I thought they would be too small for me. Today I tried again and they fit fine. Here is the result. By the way, the skirt I'm wearing is really blue but with a little help from Paint-Shop-Pro I have made it red. one day I hope I can own a red skirt like this one.

Rachel Morley
10-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Looking good Katie!....it's coming on! I like the colour coding too. Red glasses, red lips, red nails, and a red skirt. :happy: ....and yes, your legs look good too!