PDA

View Full Version : Sizing on clothes?

NYsong
10-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Hello, I'm a new member here, and I love the people already!

However, in a week or two, I am going out shopping for the first time for my feminine side. What is the difference between the sizing in girls and guys clothing?? Is there a conversion chart that I can use? Im sorry to bother you with questions, but I am pretty new to all of this, and want to do it well1

Thanks in advance!

axdressa
10-10-2006, 03:04 PM
sorry i havnt seen a conversion chart as such ... all i know is that i am of slim build and can wear size 10/12 so i dont really know about bigger builds and what sizes .... if it help i am a 36" chest 30" waist and and 34" hips 32" inside leg hope this is of some help to you

hugz Mallisa x

celeste26
10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Both Romans and Lane BRyant have size charts where you can plug in your measurements and get your size. Other online stores probably have them also but these are the ones I frequent.

NYsong
10-10-2006, 03:52 PM
thanks a lot! You both helped me very much!

vbcdgrl
10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
The sizing "systems" are completely different for guy's vs gal's clothes. It was a trial and error excercise for me. For instance, I wear a XL guy's shirt and an 18/20W(women's)ladies top. I wear a size 18 dress, size 18 skirt, and, right now I'm wearing a size 16 stretch denim pants. Ladie's clothes sizes are divided into 2 categories, misses and women's. The women's sizes are bigger. while the misses clothes are for the slimmer gals. If you go into almost any store, you'll see the misses and women's sections.
If you can "borrow" a dress from a GG friend or SO and try it on, you'll get a quick check on size comparison. Make note of the dress size and whether it's too tight or too loose.
Many of the girls have just gone to a big store, such as Lane Bryant, in drab,and have been allowed to try stuff on.
Have fun shopping!

Vikki

Eugenie
10-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Many on line catalogues have sizing charts, there are also some available on the internet. They give you also indications on where to measure your size (Hips, Waist, Chest, etc.) example Wikipedia web site:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_13402
But there are many other. It may seem obvious, but use the chart that corresponds to your own country, or at least the country where you will do most of your purchasing... If you go to other countries, there are size conversion charts. http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

As a man wearing women clothes there are some additional things to consider. Most men don't have a very narow waist compared to their hips so not all skirts style will fit nicely, even if the size is apparently correct.

Chest size may require that you take a different size for the top and for the skirt. I take size 14(US sizes, 44 French) for skirts and between 16 and 18 for tops. Size charts will help you with that.

However, it is only with experience that you will find the sizes that really fit your body features. This is especialy true for dresses. Some shapes don't fit one's body shape (note that this is also the case for GGs:heehee: so don't feel bad)

One other aspect to be aware of is that various brands make their clothes differently so a size 12 from "Brand X" will be OK and you may need Size 14 from "Brand Y".

Sizing charts remain useful as they help you narrowing the choice bracket, which is already a good start...
:hugs:
Eugenie

NatashaWI
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
I learned through trial and error. First I measured my body where the sizing charts told me to. Then I shopped on line looking to see if the sizes matched the measurements from one store to the next...they don't. I finally went to a costume store and tried on a dress. Got up my nerve and went to a thrift store and just told the gal that I needed a costume. She let me pick out 5 dresses and take them into the changing room. I picked out 5 sizes and found that I was a 3X. Since then I've lost weight and I'm a 1X. The sad fact is womens clothing is like mens - you really should always try stuff on.

Hope this helps...

Natasha

Christina Nicole
10-10-2006, 06:35 PM
You can Google search for "Women's clothes sizing chart" and find a number of different charts. Put the same measurements into two different designer's charts and you'll get very different sizes. For example see this chart (http://fashion.about.com/blmissychart.htm) versus this chart (http://www.ebarbara.com/damianousize.htm). I usually wear an 8 to a 10 depending on the cut for most skirts, pants and dresses. Formalwear runs smaller and I usually need a 10, or 12. Some designers I have needed a size 14 or 16!

The charts are a good place to start, but you need to use the right chart of the manufacturer. Note also that vintage clothing sizes are completely different than today's sizes. Clothes from the 1960s that have the same size marking are a very different size from today's fashions of the same marked size.

Your best bet? Shop in person and try it on. We all have been there. Everyone has a first time. Call ahead and make an appointment. Some shops will allow you to come in after hours if you're really shy.

There's a lady just outside of Philly who will custom make clothes for you or alter clothes to fit. She has a lot of TG clients. I have to dig her name out of my contacts file and check to see if she's still in business.

Warmest regards,
Christina Nicole

Alayna
10-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is try to get "juniors" clothes when you can - especially with pants and skirts. The reason is that juniors sizes are cut more narrow than misses and women's sizes, particularly in the thigh/hip area. This is because they're made for girls who haven't quite "filled out". You may find that the style is too young for you anyway, but it's worth a look at least.

Once you get used to sizes you'll also want to start dressing to your body's strengths. There are 4 basic body shapes, each with pros and cons:

1. Triangle (pear shape) - narrow shoulders, wide hips
minimize the hips, go with high-waisted silhouettes and wide necklines (boatnecks, cowls, large collars). Avoid elaborate sleeves, horizontal lines, and other details that fall across the hips.

2. Rectangle - boxy shape with little definition
draw attention away from the waist. Long lines draw the eyes down, flared skirts or bias-cut garments accentuate curves. Matching colored shoes, stockings and skirt also draw the eyes away from the waist.

3. Inverted triangle - large bust or shoulders, narrow hips. Most of us fall into this category
minimize the bust and waist, emphasize the hips. Gathers and pleats at the hips make them look wider. Wear v-necks, turtlenecks, and simple and long necklaces to emphasize the vertical line up top (basically draw the eye down). Avoid high waistlines, empire seams, wide collars, and large-scale prints on top. Darker hues, and dull textures are best on top. Avoid short skirts as they make you look top-heavy

4. Hourglass
As long as you keep in proportion, you can wear just about anything

Butterfly Bill
10-10-2006, 07:26 PM
Women's clothing manufacturers sometimes do what is called "vanity sizing": putting a size number on a label that is smaller than what the item really is, in the hopes that a dieting woman will feel good about fitting into a smaller size and buy that item. I am usually a size 16, but I have a few items that I can get into that have labels that say 10!

I carry a tape measure with me when I shop and measure across the armpits and the waist when it is still on the hanger on the rack before I take it to the fitting room, and then I take it there and actually put it on. There is no real substitute for actually trying something on before buying. (That's why I buy online only if I have failed to find it in a store.)

Lanore
10-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Hello NYsong
Halloween is around the corner and this is a great time to pick up all you need to figure out your size. Go to Goodwill, KMart or Walmart. If you see a bra that you think might fit, get it and a few more. As for as skirts, pants and tops go, get them too. You won't spend a lot of money and you'll have fun doing it.

Have fun, Lanore

NYsong
10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Thank you soooo much! This place truly is a blessing. You have all been so much help. I cant wait for my first time out!

DAVIDA
10-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Women's clothing manufacturers sometimes do what is called "vanity sizing": putting a size number on a label that is smaller than what the item really is, in the hopes that a dieting woman will feel good about fitting into a smaller size and buy that item. I am usually a size 16, but I have a few items that I can get into that have labels that say 10!

I carry a tape measure with me when I shop and measure across the armpits and the waist when it is still on the hanger on the rack before I take it to the fitting room, and then I take it there and actually put it on. There is no real substitute for actually trying something on before buying. (That's why I buy online only if I have failed to find it in a store.)

Hey! Did you get the slips? And if so, did they fit?

Myst
10-10-2006, 09:43 PM
I have just recently been getting more into the clothes... its not all just about the underwear for me anymore! And while it is a lot of fun to buy new clothes (I've been on a kick lately! :heehee: ) it has been very confusing.

I bought a great pair of flared jeans in size 36 that I thought would fit, but are too big, they're ok belted though. I also bought two skirts, both size 12. One of them is snug, but the other is just right.

I didn't try them on at the store, but I'm sure that would have been the best bet to make sure a particular article fits! I buy most of my clothes at the thrift store, so even if it doesn't fit, I'm not spending that much money on something that I can't wear. This is good for the trial and error approach. Keep trying differnt things until you get a feel for size and style.