PDA

View Full Version : tale of two skirts

tallyman
10-12-2006, 03:58 PM
If you have seen my last tread you will know that while my wife is away I am going to go out for the first time dressed as a woman and I am looking forward to that so much.
However I needed some clothes so I went shopping for two skirts not have brought any womans clothes before I got the wrong size. So I had to return them and buy the right size ( size 16 by the way is my size ) I dont know who had the most red face the assistant or me but hell you have to do what you have to do.
Let me know how you get your suff.

Michaela:love:

sophie69
10-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Dont worry love, it gets way easier with time! Very frightening at first, now its a joy..... its still nerve wracking though at times! Keep buying......good luck! Sophie x

Katelyn
10-12-2006, 04:05 PM
:hugs: I buy my stuff online.
Try these sites:
http://www.ebay.com
http://www.samiscloset.com
http://www.victoriasecret.com

These are really great places. For makeup, you can try walgreens at
http://www.walgreens.com
or even http://www.tgcosmetics.com
Hopefully this helps!
I believe most of these places can ship to the UK.

Hugs :hugs:
Clarissa

Annaliese
10-12-2006, 04:08 PM
If you have seen my last tread you will know that while my wife is away I am going to go out for the first time dressed as a woman and I am looking forward to that so much.
However I needed some clothes so I went shopping for two skirts not have brought any womans clothes before I got the wrong size. So I had to return them and buy the right size ( size 16 by the way is my size ) I dont know who had the most red face the assistant or me but hell you have to do what you have to do.
Let me know how you get your suff.

Michaela:love:

After trial and error and giving lots of clothes to DI(good will) I know my size.
I will return clothes now but back then I just gave them away.

hotbobbie
10-12-2006, 04:45 PM
I buy at Macys and also on line.

Paula G
10-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Most of my clothes come from the Salvation Army stores. It took a while, but I've gotten used to buying there and finding clothes in the right sizes.

Vivian Best
10-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I used to buy all my clothes at department stores. Now the internet is so handy I buy them on line. You really have to know how sizes run though.

geri-tg.
10-12-2006, 06:33 PM
I enjoy the mall but the inernet is so easy.I konw all my sizes and tthat make life easy.My favorites are avon-one hanes place-newport news=payless shoes.They are all great and if you have aproblem they all have been very gender friendly. Geri

Jamsey
10-12-2006, 07:56 PM
I do all my shopping at department stores where they have counter people but don't have anybody that comes out and ask you what you want. Such as Penny's, Boston Store, Wal Mart sometimes, etc. Most of the time they think I'm buying for my SO, even though I don't wear a ring. I returned items a couple times, nervous at first but doesn't bother too much anymore. I know my sizes pretty good for skirts and tops, but dresses I wouldn't purchase without trying on, and it would have to be a special store and situation for me to do that.

Jamsey

Sienna Skye
10-13-2006, 07:25 PM
My shopping is split pretty evenly between department stores and thrift stores. Sometimes you can find amazing deals at thrift stores. I have found many dresses with the tags still on for a fraction of the original price. On the flipside,
I have also gambled on items with no size tags because I loved the look. I'd say I'm batting about .500 on those!

vbcdgrl
10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
I get most of my things on line. I know my sizes, so it's just a matter of picking style. Occasionally an item won't fit right or looks funny, so I just give it to the SA. One of these days, I am gonna go out shopping en femme. Been out quite a bit doing a lot of "errands" , trying to build up nerve to go shopping. Reports from a lot of "shoppers" on this forum are encouraging.

Vikki

gwenrob43
10-13-2006, 07:52 PM
I went online, started with Lane Bryant. Used their fitting guide and determined basic sizes by taking measurements. Now I order online all the time. It's delivered and I have some really nice looking clothes.

Lot's of Luck,
Gwen

Karren H
10-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I almost always try them on in the store, enfemme or in drab.....either way I leave with something that fits!!

Love Karren

Michelle I
10-13-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with Karren, I try on most things in the store both femme and drab. I have had best luck with Dress Barn, Fashion Bug and Lane Bryants.

Melissa

Karen Johnson
10-13-2006, 10:36 PM
Sometimes my wife will go with me and sometimes I do it myself. Yesterday I stopped at a department store to get a bunch of things on the way home from work. I had a list and was reading from it as I went around with my cart. As I passed the intimates section I just walked over and started checking out panties. I couldn't find the ones I wanted, but I did pick up some stockings. No one gave me a second glance standing there with a lost look on my face and that list in my hand, like my wife had sent me to the store.

A couple of times I've gotten very odd looks when picking up my own stuff, but part of that may have been the way I was acting - nervous.

Bernadina
10-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Suggest you go shopping with tape measure as the size numbers vary from brand to brand and style to style. Size 16 could be a 17", 18" or 19" waist I think, in North American sizing.

Also, it may help if you ask the clerk if you can bring them back if they don't fit her. Its none of their business if the her is your alter-personna.

Billijo49504
10-14-2006, 01:22 AM
At LB, fashion Bug or Avenue, I try things on to be sure they fit. I pretty much know, but it's fun trying things on at the store, anyway...BJ

Eugenie
10-14-2006, 01:47 AM
After a fair number of trial and errors over the years, I pretty much know my size now. Beyond the size problem, it was further necessary to know which size will fit me best depending upon the shape of the clothes I buy. I think I am getting close to that last aspect.

So I buy part of my clothes in large department stores, and the rest through on line catalogue. I'm trying to take advantage of promotional sales, and there are quite a lot of them... I rarely have to bring or send back clothes, mainly when a manufacturer is really far off with its sizing tags, which can happen...

I shop in drab and have no problem at all doing so.
:hugs:
Eugenie

sweeting
10-14-2006, 07:47 AM
hi tally man buying womens clothing at first be scary but with time you will love it you will not feel uncomfortable with the sales people eny more laurie

TG-Taru
10-14-2006, 08:36 AM
My first clothes came from sex shops (not very good), salvation army -type of places and flea markets, then mail order catalogs or net shops (careful, reality in quality and material might not be what you expect), then both order and going to stores (you hold it in your hands you see what you're getting - on occasion I've tried it on there). Catalogues are a good way to start, they usually have size tables with measurements, so they tell you pretty well what your size should be. But it only really can be trusted to some extent on the things in that catalogue, sizes and measurements do vary, indeed, between manufacturers and regions of origin or intended market. Also getting some made or modified might be an option, sometimes at least. I had a clothing design student make some for me as part of her studies, and had some bought dresses made a bit more form-fitting. Mostly salespersons in stores are fine. Check out some cd/tg associations, they might have lists of t-friendly places too.