PDA

View Full Version : shopping gene

paulaN
01-01-2005, 10:13 PM
As much as I would love to be a girl with all of the joys and pain. There is one thing that I will probley never master and that is shopping. I just do not seem to have the nack of it like a woman does, no matter hard I try. And I have tried. I just can not go into a store any store with one thing in mind that I have to pick up.And spend all kinds of time looking at stuff that has nothing do do with the reason that I'm there for in the frist place. I know what I need and I just have to go and get it and pay for it (done). But a woman ahhh thay have a very hard time with such a concept. Thay have the shopping gene. Thier have been no studies on this gene,that I know of, but it is there, I know it is. And I know that I do not have it. I do not understand this gene. I do not know how a woman can spend so much time shopping for things that thay do not need, will not by, but thay have to pick it up and look at it and say things like isn't that nice or that would look great in the living room. Ah hun we have no room for it in the living room even if we added on to the house. I just do not have the gene. Has any one here experianced the same thing with there SO. or does any one here konw how I can get this gene.

Bernadina
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with genes.

I've lived my life with first my mother and then my late wife and now my current wife and they all love to shop.

I've just learned how to do it as they do. Especially if I'm looking for en femme stuff.

I think the secret is to be taken shopping with women who know how to shop and learn how.

barbiecd
01-01-2005, 10:43 PM
That "gene" is not obtainable, probably something we have no real chance of experiencing. I have experienced a lot so far and even when looking for en femme stuff, i stay focused on that. If somebody really has mastered it, my hat is really off to you, you are a better woman than I.
Hugs
Barbie

DonnaT
01-01-2005, 10:44 PM
The secret, you see, is to not go shopping with intent. Instead, when you know you don't need a thing, just go and browse. No need to buy anything, just browse, pick things up and inspect them. Wonder how this or that will look on.

Yes, I can do what women can, but am also like you in that if I go to get something, I get it and leave. But I can also go into the browse mode, especially if it is for something feminine :) or tools :D

Jadeanne
01-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Hi all,

I don't think that shopping is genetic, but it's something which can be learned.

I learned at an early age, being the only child and with a father who always worked the late shifts. When my mother went shopping in either of 2 small nearby towns, I went along and could either stay close to her in the stores or sit in the car. I preferred the stores to the sitting, and my mother was a shopper, so I learned it from her.

I have bought femme things, first for Mom, when I was very young. I remember one gift shopping trip with my father, he gave me money ($3) and accompanied me to Newberry's and guided me in buying stockings for Mom - in the late 50's/early 60's her favorite support stockings (with seams and reinforced heel and toe) were $1 each!

I also remember a few years later, when I was old enough to cross the city streets and go to different stores along that block by myself, buying her a compact of Revlon Cornsilk (she told me beforehand which shade) at a drugstore.

My wife didn't have as many positive shopping experiences when young, with 2 older sisters and in a smaller town that the one we would shop in. For her, shopping is a usually a chore, but she is improving. I bought her lingerie and clothing for 24 years before I started buying femme things for myself. When we are shopping together, I try to limit the number of stores, and take breaks,and it seems to make for a happier shopper.

Okay, I turned this into an essay question.

Jadeanne

Celeste GG
01-02-2005, 05:06 AM
I go through stages. It's probably more like an addiction.

Thought window shopping is a great way to tune out from the world, just look at what pretty things that have been created and made by people. a bit like meditation really"

And the "what were they thinking when they made that!"

I don't "Have to have things" but I do like to shop. I only spend my own money not my husbands, so I don't ever feel guilty.

But these days I find my self thinking... would that dress be big enough across the back for "...." or long enough in the body for "...." , or so snf so would just die for that if it was in a bigger size.

I have reached a stage of true spiritual shopping... finding joy in shopping for others! :p

racquel
01-02-2005, 05:12 AM
My situation is the opposite.My s/o goes into a store and gets what she wants and payes a fair price.I don't know how she does it but she seems to know the fair price of everything.(I pay whatever the sticker price says).
She does not enjoy shopping with me because she says I "doddle". :rolleyes:

Vickie-CD
01-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Join shopaholics.com and just do the opposite of what they teach, then you will be out shopping all the time(LOL) just joking. If I go into a store for one thing, I have to look at everything. Then I overspend, but I have a lot of fun.
Love,
Vickie

Wendy me
01-02-2005, 06:47 AM
don't try to shop thats like work like donna t said go looking poke around ..........have
a little fun with it........i can shop for almost anything ...........if there is a shopping gene wendy has got it............bitten by the shopping bug for shure.......when out
shopping i can lose it ........time, money.......in the zone its like a drug..............
i never buy online or through the mail i think it would kill me to waite for something
to come in ..........the huntress in me stock it ..........see it ........grab it..........
bag it ............wear it ......love it....... sometimes my heart pounding ......breath
quickens love to shop

Donna Louise
01-02-2005, 07:31 AM
I love thrift stores. The mall I can take or leave. I have been out to 2 thrift stores, spent almost 2 hours and bought nothing. I can do the same in the mall if I have the money to spend like I want to. This only happens when I am looking at girly things. Yes, my imagination runs rampet when I'm out sometimes. I Love Girly Shopping!

Then again, there are times when I run in get what I want and run out. That is usually not for girly things though.

I have been know to get lost in the tools and had to have someone come rescue me.

Donna Louise

Tamara Croft
01-02-2005, 07:37 AM
I do not know how a woman can spend so much time shopping for things that thay do not need, will not by, but thay have to pick it up and look at it and say things like isn't that nice or that would look great in the living room.

You know why we say that.... it's because we want you to buy it for us... whether we need it or not, it means more because you bought it. It's hard to explain, but when I see something that I like, it means more to me because Tammy bought it for me :)

Tamara x

What's harder... rocket science or figuring out women?? :p

Donna Louise
01-02-2005, 07:47 AM
I believe life's greatest mystery is not the universe, not what lies in the deepest part of the sea.

The greatest mystery is woman.

Most things are constant or change in predictable ways. Not women, once you think you might have the slightest clue about them they change in a way you did not expect.

I guess all that mystery just keeps me wondering and on my toes.

Donna Louise

kimmjacoby
01-02-2005, 08:39 AM
shopping gean?

of course i have a shopping gean, in fact i have 2 or 3 pairs, size 12 and 14, depending on the time of the month.
what a redickulous question! like i have to go shopping only in a skirt or dress?

hugs,
kimm :confused:

AnnaMaria
01-02-2005, 09:06 AM
I do know how you feel Paula. There are times when I go shopping and all I want to do is get what I came for and go home. But at the same time there are other times when I can burn up an entire afternoon just wandering around the stores not really buying anything at all. I think that a lot of it has to do with the mood that I am in. It also has to do with the size of the crowd. If there is a large crowd where I am shopping then I have a hard time just wandering due to the fact that I have a hard time with large numbers of people.

Though I don't think that I really learned it from any one certian person. I really think that I was born with the desire to do things in a more femme manner. I have noticed this in several areas of my life since I have really started to accept who I am. though I won't go into that now as we are talking about shopping.

The advise offered earlier was sound advise though. Try going when you don't really need anything, and just take the time to look at what the store, or stores have to offer. Just to kill some time some afternoon or weekend. Look at the trip as an adventure, like exploring a muesum that is deticated to what ever subject is your favorite. That mindset might just help you see things in a differrent light and maake it easier to spent the time just basicly wastying time for no good reason other than to learn how to do something that you don't yet know how to do.

huggs
anna

paulaN
01-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all your replies. When I go shopping for girlie things I can spend much more time in ladies wear dept. Its much more fun. But I can not keep up with the wife in this matter, not even a little bit. Happy new year everyone and happy shopping.

Wendy me
01-02-2005, 10:08 AM
even in "his" mode shopping is a event........last boat "he" bought took 3 mounths and 5 states to find...........so i think eather you got it or you don't

Julie York
01-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Ha!

Julie York
01-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I meant this...stoopid photos

Julie
01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
Julie try using Image Shack to post pictures here, it's so easy.

JJ

JulieL
01-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm afraid that when I go girly shopping things get out of control. I'm okay when it comes to getting outerwear (skirts/blouses, etc) but I turn into a mess in the lingerie departments. I think my gene is dysfunctional :) 'cause my panty drawer gets fuller and fuller as I buy what I don't really need. And of course a new pair of panties in a new color requires a bra to match. But I do enjoy shopping there with the gg's and I also enjoy standing at the checkout counter with my purchases and trying to visualize what the other girls will look like when they slip into what they've bought. One of these days I'll learn :confused: to browse, to gently touch and feel as women do, and not take my credit card out.

Georgette
01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Practice, practice, practice.