PDA

View Full Version : Starting 2005 off with a bang!

Vallari
01-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Well I decided to spend my last night before new years eve en femme. I drove around Austin (TX) and visited popular places like our mall, and downtown. I ended the night by walking into a Walgreens drugstore completely en femme and just browsed around for a few minutes. I didnt really think anything of it as I approached the door. I kind of decided to do this at the last minute because I figured, what the heck, it'll be a cool way to end 2004 - hopefully on a high note. When I saw myself coming through the automatic door via the security monitor overhead, it hit me and I became somewhat nervous. When I saw myself, it was like, OMG! - thats me entering the store as a young woman!! :eek: But I stayed cool and browsed the store. It was like around 4 in the morning by this time and the only cars in the lot were the employe's. Not even they could be seen in the store so I browsed a little longer and walked out, got into my car and went home.

New Years Eve was spent hanging with a GF of mine (in guy mode) and her family at a fire hall. It was pretty fun and we celebrated the beginning of '05.

Tonight however was when the real fun began. I dressed en femme for my GF's for the first time and hung out with them. They said I looked pretty good and we just hung out and had fun. We then decided to go to a Olive Garden restaraunt to eat dinner. I spent some time considering this situation and thinking about possible consequences, etc......I went as Rachel. :) This was kind of nerveracking as it was our local restaraunt that my family eats at occasionally. The place had a good number of people inside, but we went in the lobby, and were eventually seated. This was my first time wearing a denim skirt above my knees to a truely public place - so I learned the ettiquite pretty quick! It felt kind of weird as I could see people were staring at me but we made our way to our seats. I wore a denim skirt, a black top w/ speghetti straps, heels, and my wig and jewelery and all those other little necessary things. Most of the staff were younger so they of course acted a bit akward, but they were cool for the most part. When our waiter took our orders he referred to me as "sir" which kinda bugged me. My friend mentioned that she saw a few of the staff stare and maybe giggle or whatever amongst themselves, but I didnt let it get to me. The whole meal went pretty well. We paid our bill and left. On our way out, a waitress (looked a bit older then the other employees) saw my GF's and me and referred to us as "ladies", as she asked us how our meals were. I thought that was cool. On the way out the exit we passed some more young people - probably a few years older then me (Im 18). We passed a guy and two girls he was with. They were all pretty attractive looking but they also looked like snobs. I could see both girls looking at me as I walked passed them out of the corner of my eye but I kepy my head up and foward with a confident look on my face. They never said anything to me.
That felt so good to do! :cool:
According to my GF, the guy gave me a dirty look but I didnt notice it. Frankly I could care less. The whole trip was pretty good though.

Later that night we drove around, and visited a fast food place later in the night. Standard situation for such a place - young skater/punk dipsh*ts lurking everywhere looking and laughing amongst themselves, etc, but I didnt get bothered by it.

I notice that younger people tend to have difficulty with this then older people. I know this is probably due to expierence (or lack of) when it comes to handling these situations. It would be nice though if they were more accepting, but with media, politics, religion, family, and all the other stuff I guess it warps their views a bunch.

I find that it just helps to laugh it off when people stare at you or laugh or whatever. When they laughed at me I laughed back and had fun with the situation. My friends were great of course and were supportive of me.

All in all the night went great. There were a few rough spots like I mentioned, but it could've been worse. It was a good night and not a bad trip for my first official time out in public!

Happy New Years Everyone!

KewTnCurvy GG
01-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Well Bravo for you Rachel. As for your comments on the younger ppl and how they behaved here's my take. I think you get that response cuz they are immature AND b/c they are under great peer pressure to conform. If a young guy doesn't make a comment to his friends or go along with the laughing and chiding; then he may get ridiculed. That's the way I see it anyhow.

Good luck to you and stay safe. Don't let your desire to wander about cloud your wisdom and intuition. :)

hugs
kew

racquel
01-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Great stuff Rachel,I know how you felt, having recently experienced the same sensations.I was surprised by how comfortable I became as time went on.Did you feel the same way?
I am sorry about the waiters insensitivety,I hope the tip reflected his lack of couth.
Happy 2005. :D

gender_blender
01-02-2005, 06:10 AM
I spent New Year's Eve dressed as female as well. The only thing is, I have been dressed as a girl since then. It's nice being able to say that I've been full-time female since sometime last year [for about 3 days now]. Aside from the fairly regular days that I walked around on campus and went out dressed last year, most of my time was spent dressed as a guy, but I resolved to change that this year, starting with "how long can I remain en femme in 2005?"

Charlie

MonaSmith
01-02-2005, 06:20 AM
Well done Rachel, I am really happy for you and very jealous.

I wish I had the courage that you have. I think that you have handled it very well, shrugging off the stares and giggles, and treating them with the contempt that they deserve. As to the waiter calling you sir, he probably didn't know which way to jump and picked the wrong way. He has probably never been in the situation before and just messed up. Don't worry about it, too much positive stuff happened to you, which far outweighs the negative.

So when are you going to do it again?

Have fun, and stay brave girl.

Vickie-CD
01-02-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the Happy New Years wish. And good for you going out dressed!! Takes a lot of courage the first time, but well woth it regardless of the outcome because you were finally able to be yourself outside of your home. I'm very happy for you.
Have a Great 2005,
Vickie

DonnaT
01-02-2005, 08:33 AM
You handled yourself very well Rachel. Way to go!

Do you know why so many people 'read' you? Did you try to appear female? If so, do your friends have any suggestions to make you more passable?

As for the waiter, you should have invited him closer and quietly told him "I prefer Mam, not Sir, if you please." Educate the public one person at a time!

Nikki A.
01-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Sounds like you had a great time and handled yourself well. Also kudos to your friends who were willing to accept you and help you out. They all deserve a big kiss.

Tristen Cox
01-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Rachel it takes lots of... **** 's to get out there! Way to go, I knew you had it the courage. And I'm happy for you having such a great new years bang! *hugs*

Love
Tristen

paulaN
01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
congrat's, sounds like you had a great time. your friends should be thanked for there acceptance of your dressing. and the waiter needs a good slap. maybe your friends can help make you more passable. still i'd love to have been in your heels that night. I don't get to dress nearly enough.booo hoo.

Beach Chick
01-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Rachel you stud!

True, come-what-may, hell-or-high-water COURAGE is so HOT!

I don't deserve your number, Please do not PM it to me. You're too cool.

Love

Beach Chick

Sharon
01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Way to go Rachel! I not only admire your bravery, but also your GF's. And I like your attitude! But promise that you'll stay alert and safe.
Sharon

Vallari
01-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you for all your replies everyone! :o I am just getting my feet in the water as far as being out and about is concerned, and I do think about things that could happen and plan to encounter people's reactions like those I mentioned. I wont let my judgement get clouded over. I definitely do owe my friends another big thank you and hug for thier acceptance. Thanks again girls! :)

wilma
01-02-2005, 10:26 PM
Your courage is inspirational. Makes me want to walk out my front door in fem and go to dinner right now........OK maybe tomorrow, but keep it up Rachel. LOL Wilma

Fallen Angel
01-02-2005, 11:06 PM
good for you rachel im glad you took advantage of the new year and it does take alot of curage to take that fisrt step out side your home it had to be heart punding! what a rush!! i went out as well to a gay comunity to celabrate and it was a ball i didnt use a female voce but hey what the hell, im just tickled for you keep us posted on the new you for 2005

Wenda
01-03-2005, 02:51 PM
Awesome Rachel, good for you and for your friends. If you are going to go out dressed anywhere in TX, I would say Austin would be the place, the only city I know that has parking spaces "Musicians Only"! (Or is it "musicians Unloading"?). San Antonio is actually my favourite, but with 5 military bases in the neighbourhood, and being in the heart of calf-roping/rodeo country, could be a bit riskier. The others make a good point about younger people, especially young guys. Looking back, I can recall a couple of friends who I am pretty sure were/are gay, who didn't go as far as 'gay bashing', but would add a comment on someone, I think just to show that they weren't gay. Sad, but that's how powerful our stereotypes are. As the others said, don't let the little crap get you down, you made a huge step, and I really congratulate you for it. Wenda.