PDA

View Full Version : I've lost my confidence to shop for women's clothes in drab...HELP!!!

MsJordan
10-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Ladies...I need your help!!!

I've wanted to shop for some new clothes and shoes for the first time in almost a year and I've lost my confidence to shop. Before I took a hiatus from dressing, I could go in a store and buy the things I needed without hesitation. But now I get so nervous and my heart feels like its going to beat out of my chest. Then I just leave as I came-empty handed.

How can I get my confidence back? What suggestions do you all have? :idontknow:

Can't wait to hear from you all.

DeeInGeorgia
10-14-2006, 10:02 AM
If you don't have a real one, get a fake wedding ring and put it on before going shopping.

Dee

Wendy me
10-14-2006, 10:08 AM
wow i hope that never happens to me ... hey look it's the same as when you frist started shopping ... pick a item go get bring it to the sales people pay for it go out to your car have a mini stroke ... next time do the same till you just do it with out thinking..... and your cured....

Vivian Best
10-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Ms Jordan, the only thing I can offer is what I do before I have to give a talk in front of a large group of people. I rehearse it in my mind over and over and over again. I even visualize specific people in the audience and I'm going to talk directly to them and others. By doing that when I actually give it, I've done it before, my mind says I've done this before and it certainly has a calming effect of me.

If you are going to a place you have been before visualize the place, the clothes racks, shoppers, sales people, you looking at clothes and looking directly at the sales associate as you are being asked if you need help or paying for your purchase. Hope this helps and good luck.

If this doesn't help, there is always online shopping.

Rachel Morley
10-14-2006, 01:08 PM
In the past I used to feel shy about buying women's clothes just in case people thought I was buying them for myself. I'd always assume people were "putting two and two together can coming up with five" :D

Looking through the racks in the women's department, surrounded by women doing the same (and you're the only guy there) does require some confidence! I just used to pretend that I was a "useless male" who knew nothing about women's clothes and was trying to find something suitable for his girlfriend's birthday.

When I got to the register I'd ask the cashier "can you make sure the receipt is in the bag please because it's my girlfriend's birthday and I'm not exactly sure if I've got the right size, I might be bringing it back". That always made me feel as though I was justified in buying the dress or whatever it was.

Nowadays, of course, I'm don't give it a second thought. Although I don't actually volunteer that it's for me, if they did ask...I'd say yes, sure....why not?

Tina Dixon
10-14-2006, 02:53 PM
This a very common thing, I never had much confidence when it came to shopping for girlie things.

Kate Simmons
10-14-2006, 03:15 PM
Damn, Hon. Then just go shopping as your femme self and have a fantastic time.:happy: Ericka

AprilMae
10-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Oh just go and shop. No one cares what you buy. If your in a WalMart or Target, throw in a birthday card or 2 if you must, or if in a Macy's or something like that ask for a gift box or 2, ask for a gift receipt and go on your merry way. I've been shopping in male attire for 20 yeras, never had a second thought.

Lisa Golightly
10-14-2006, 04:46 PM
Mail order?