PDA

View Full Version : The person at the till when you buy

Brianne_bc
10-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Now this is just my thing but Im a lot more comfortable buying from a woman than a guy... Now I know this is gonna sound impossible to those who know me or have read my posts but Ive even passed up on shoes cause there was only a guy in the shoe store.... I just cant seem to buy girly things from a guy....

heathr1
10-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Same with me too.

JamieK
10-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Luv;
Please don't worry about the SA at the till. I have had both male and female give me some strange looks when I buy for CDing. My answer is simple. I just give them my very best,"Your being paid to sell it, so work, fool" look.
And...what do they matter in you life anyhow??

Love,
JamieK

AmberTG
10-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, It can be a problem when they know your relatives or inlaws and know it's not the size your wife wears, the term "suspicion of an affair" comes to mind.

JeanneF
10-15-2006, 11:13 PM
I used to be really nervous, and had been known to not buy anything if there was a guy at the register. Then one day I was in Banana Republic, and I found a stunning top on sale...but the only person at the counter was a guy. I decided my dignity was less important to me than getting this top, so screw it. I went up, bought the top, and the guy said to me "this is so cute, I love it"...needless to say, I realized at that point that any guy who's working in fashion retail is probably at the very least openminded enough to not harass another guy buying women's apparal...probably even more likely than the average female associate.

Guys working the checkout at a discount store (i.e. Target) are still a different story, though. I'll still choose a line staffed by a female clerk there.

AmberTG
10-15-2006, 11:29 PM
It's kinda funny, all the things I've bought at the local stores, the only comment I've gotten was from an older woman at the checkout that tried to make a joke about if it was my size or not, and of course, I was totally unprepared for it when she said it. Now I'd know what to say, but that time I was totally cought off guard.

samantha#1
10-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Shopping at my favourite store for some new bras, knickers, and nightie arms full I head for the checkout in this usually female only staffed store and there at the register was a male ex-student of mine YIKES!!!!, took a deep breath and went right ahead with my purchase; I was actually all tingly and took a couple of secs when I got back to my car to regain normal composure, I love shopping and never knock back a chance to go and the female sales assistants are always very good, this just took me back a step for just a tick. I do see it though as another step to greater confidence. Samantha

Beth-GDB
10-16-2006, 12:10 AM
It's kinda funny, all the things I've bought at the local stores, the only comment I've gotten was from an older woman at the checkout that tried to make a joke about if it was my size or not, and of course, I was totally unprepared for it when she said it. Now I'd know what to say, but that time I was totally cought off guard.

I bought myself a bright pink one-piece swimsuit a couple of years ago and the GG at the counter made a comment to me about how cute I'd look in it. It was obviously intended to be humourous so I said something along the lines of "I hope so. Do you think I should die my hair to match it?" as my reply. We both got a laugh out of it and that was that.

Actually, on the very few occaisions when anyone has unexpectedly said something to me about me wearing a femme item I've briought to the cashier to pay for, my habit has been to make some sort of joke about it being for me (even though it really has been for me) in a light hearted-sarcasm tone.

As for whether it's a male or female cashier I deposit the clothes in front of, I don't have a problem with either, although based on pure numbers it's mostly women staffing the counters in the first place.

noname
10-16-2006, 03:48 AM
I've never been had a problem. Maybe a coule of wondering looks, but nothing definate. You do not have to worry about the cashier for several reasons.

1: They could most likely get fired for making a rude comment about someones purchase.

2: They've seen it all.

3: They really have seen it all.

Married guys buy stuff all the time. Tampons, and other fem items. I asked a cashier one time ( long before I ever cd ) ever get wierd purchases? Like wierd ones, like say... prunes and toilet paper? She said she's seen some wierd stuff but after a while it makes no difference, and she really doesn't even pay attention.

Adrienne Heels
10-16-2006, 06:52 AM
Lisa's probably right, now that I think about it. A guy working in womens' fashion retail is not going to be all that judgemental of a guy shopping. I have always been apprehensive about dealing with a guy, but I think I'll see what happens next time.

I actually dealt with a guy in the ladies' shoe dept. in Macy's the other day. There was a darling pair of brown high heel clogs on the clearance rack which I did not buy when I first saw them. Went back at night and they weren't there, but the middle-aged guy SA asked if he could help. I told him I had seen this shoe in a 10 and asked if they still had a pair. He couldn't have been nicer, even when I told him that the 9 1/2 would be too small for me.

Karyn

Helen MC
10-16-2006, 06:55 AM
I much prefer to be served by a woman than a man when buying panties etc.

ophillia
10-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Doesn't matter woman or man and if they comment about are they your size or they will look good on you, I simply agree. That usually shuts them up.

Kate Simmons
10-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Doesn't matter woman or man and if they comment about are they your size or they will look good on you, I simply agree. That usually shuts them up.Yeah, and knowing myself, I would probably flirt with the guy.:happy: Ericka

Sedona
10-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi,

Yes, would much rather buy from a woman than a guy, especially as Lisa pointed out, in a discounter like Ross or Target.

And, since we're on the subject, I'm a little more nervous if she's cute than with a cashier who's not so. I suppose I'm hard wired to want to appear more attractive to a looker, and with the other it's strictly business. I handful of thongs and a skirt kind of takes the charming edge off my purchase I think.

NatashaWI
10-16-2006, 08:01 AM
Hi Brianne - I have bought women's clothing for myself a number of times and I still am a little nervous but I've learned that once I leave the store nothing horrible happened and I've calmed a bit. I recently bought a pair of pumps at Payless (my favorite store for my 12W feet!) and a guy was at the register. He asked if I needed pantyhose and I said "sure!". The transaction actually became fun. However, I don't recommend Payless for pantyhose. Get a brand name at a target, kohls, penneys or sears.

wendy
10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
if you are nervous about whether the person at the til is a male/female, I've noticed that more and more stores of late are implementing self service cashiers, where there is no one at the til, you scan the item yourself and you pay for the item by credit card or debit.

I recently purchased quite abit of lingerie using the self service checkout and everything went fine.

suanne
10-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I usually try and pick a person that looks like they don't care what you buy. What do I look for then. Don't know...just a gut feeling about getting the right person. I just hope nothing will be said to make me feel uncomfortable. I had this young guy at a check out not long ago. I had some different fem items and he took each one off the hanger and had a little remark to make and then he got to the panties. He said "this color really doesn't match the other things". I was about to rip off his lips and thought...hmmmm. In my most fem voice I said very softly...."ok sweetie, why don't we go back there and you can help me with my selections" He turned quite red and put the stuff in the bag. I paid....smiled....and left. I wasn't embarrassed, I was mad! :Angry3: But you know that little incident helped me to overcome some of my "check out" fears. Just do it! What do they care anyway? Sometimes I will ask if my wife can return these if they are not her size or she doesn't like my choices. Never had a problem with that either.

Suanne

Penny
10-16-2006, 08:49 AM
I am assuming that you are talking about buying female things while in the male mode. I have solved that problem by buying male things in the male mode and female things in the female mode. No problem!

Lisa Golightly
10-16-2006, 09:00 AM
I don't mind what they are.

suspender
10-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Gotta luv some of those staff at discount stores. The last attempt at grief I got was when I went to an express checkout (8 items or less) in drab where there was four checkout people in a row. I got the older women who said nothing about the red nail polish, remover, mascara etc. When it came to scanning the womens knickers she says: 'Thats what I like to see, a man buying womens undies!', doing the look around to other customers and fellow workers. Not to be outdone I says back: 'Its even more fun wearing them, you should try it sometime!' I laughed all the way out of that joint and half way home. And yep, it was fun wearing them.

Samantha B L
10-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm with you,Brianne and with the others,too that prefer a woman salesperson when out shopping for fem items and clothes.But I'll gladly go with a guy at the counter if there's something I want to buy badly enough. Samantha

ColleenCD
10-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I do prefer to have a woman at the checkout over a guy, but I'll take a self check out line when available everytime. The machines are a lot less likely to place judgements.

Colleen

Snookums
10-16-2006, 10:03 AM
I used to buy shoes at Dillards when they had a shoe sale,the guy who worked the shoe department used to give me sheepish stupid looks with bulging eyes and ask,are these for you.
I no longer shop at Dillards,when I encounter that the business loses a customer.
Especially when the sales person watches my every move.

lisa68
10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Me too! I feel more relax with a female cashier.