PDA

View Full Version : Spinning the Truth (A Fairy Tale)

CaptLex
10-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Some of you may know that I've been out for a while now to friends and the entire firm where I work, but not really to family (aside from two cousins and my son), and especially not to my mother. Lord knows I hate being secretive about this, especially to my own mother, but there are several reasons why I couldn't tell her:

~ she's elderly and ill,
~ she's got the beginnings of dementia and can't quite grasp even simple things anymore,
~ she's also become quite difficult to deal with (like a ranting, tantrum-throwing toddler),
~ she'd probably tell the rest of our hateful, judgmental family.

Anyway, National Coming Out Day last week got me thinking that I have to find a way to tell her something, somehow. So, I decided to put a spin on the truth - sort of like how we tend to simplify things to children when we know they're still too young to understand certain grown-up things. Like they say in Hollywood, "based on actual events" (though it's not exactly the true story).

Another motivator in my trying to find a way to come out to her is that I found out a crazy, gossipy aunt learned the truth from somewhere and has been calling other relatives to tell them. At first I was livid, but then I realized that it really doesn't matter if they ostracize me since they pretty much already do. So screw them if they have a problem with it. I just didn't want some (probably now-distorted) version of the story to get back to Mom through the grapevine. If she's going to hear anything, she should hear it from me. And, as my son reminded me, I have absolutely no control over what other people will say about me, so I should just let it go (he's so smart - I wonder where he gets that? :heehee:).

So I began by telling her that I have both male and female hormones. I must have caught her on one of her good days because she quickly came back at me with "everybody has both hormones". I told her that, while that's true, I now have more male than female hormones and that it's a more natural condition for me than for other females and that I refuse to ever take female hormones again to try to balance it out. It took her a couple of minutes to absorb that and she agreed that taking female hormones could screw things up, as she has heard it happen to other (bio) women. Finally, I continued and told her that this will cause physical changes in me that will become more apparent as time goes on. She thought about it for a while and then said, "okay".

I also explained to her that her sister has been spreading rumors about me to the rest of the family, although I doubt anyone has the guts to tell her or me about it - they'd rather gossip than ask and try to find out the truth. That really upset her, but she said she's glad she now knows why the rumors are out there and she knows what to tell people should they ask her.

Okay, so it's not really the whole story, but it's not exactly a lie and it seemed to put her at peace. I think it's better than not telling her anything at all - which was really eating me up inside. If she can't handle the truth, then at least she has her own version of it - one that she seems to have taken well. And if she has real questions sometime in the future, I can give her more details as necessary.

Any thoughts?

mistunderstood
10-18-2006, 11:00 AM
Good for you. Must of been hard to tell her. Hang in there.

Felix
10-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I have great admiration for you hun, I got cut off by my mum when I came out as lesbian and its took her a long time to get her head round it. I can't imagine what would happen if she guessed about me :eek: I won't tell her anyways. :hugs:

Shadowls
10-18-2006, 02:00 PM
some time half true is better then no truth

Sandra
10-18-2006, 02:10 PM
It must be hard Captlex but as Shadowls has said " half truth is better then no truth"

Sarah Rabbit
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
Not knowing the relationship between your mother and your self, it is hard to comment, however waiting for any other questions in the fure is probably your best bet. When the rumours do get back to her, she will have time to mull it over, and then have some questions for you, which would afford you the opportunity to give her a more detailed explanation.

Sarah R. :bunny:

sparks
10-18-2006, 06:53 PM
For what it's worth I'm proud of ya. It takes guts to tell even part of the story. With all of her medical problems I think you handled the situation quite well. Maybe the whole story can be told at a laterdate and maybe it won't but you've open the door quite abit I would say.

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-18-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm sure it was a tough thing to do, but as others have said, a partial truth is better than none. And as you said, given her dementia, it's probably better to give it to her in simple enough terms for her to grasp.

BTW, I'm so sorry that the rest of your family is so nasty and judgemental. :(

bi_weird
10-19-2006, 09:32 AM
Wow that's gotta be rough going, but congrats on telling your mom something and her taking it well. Hope things keep going alright for ya.

Tamara Croft
10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure you know your mum and how she would take things ;) I think you did the right thing by telling her in a way she would understand, but also in a way that would keep your relationship with her on what seems to be a good level. As for relatives, well you know what they say about that 'you can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family'... sometimes, family can be the most cruel and spiteful people, but at least you have many friends here who understand and love you for who you are, well I do anyway :hugs:

kathy gg
10-19-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey Capt...that was pretty intense and I think the way you handled it was very smart and very sensative to her situation. You left the door open for more info, if that need ever arises but it certainly will make things easier for you on your journey as changes do occur.

Good work!

CaptLex
10-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Thanks boys and girls. I was feeling a little guilty about not spelling it all out as truthfully as possible, but I do feel better about the way I decided to do it . . . and relieved that I was finally able to tell her something. Thanks for your encouragement. :hugs:

gennee
10-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Your mother took it very well. Congratulations. I'm sure that you feel relieved having told her. Keep us posted on how things go.

Gennee

:hugs:

Karen Edmonton
10-21-2006, 12:45 PM
I think it's all about baby steps . You have to keep making them if you are to get anywhere ! Onward and upward !

MJ
11-04-2006, 07:36 PM
thank you capt
My only regret was not telling my mother. even before she died in hospital. i was buy her bed side for her last two week i had time off work and was there manny hours. and in that two weeks never had the guts to tell her. it's that guy thing i wanted to tell her how much i loved her too.. but it's just not British.. why should the truth be so hard to tell ..

Taylor105
02-16-2007, 08:24 AM
I am really proud of you for being able to say anything to her. My family just assumes I'm gay. I have let them believe that because I am too scared to tell them the truth. My foster mom knows the truth and she is okay with it but my bio family, brothers, sisters and stuff....no way. I'm not ready yet.

Marcie Sexton
02-16-2007, 08:31 AM
That had to take a lot of courage, I :clap: :clap: :clap: you for that...