PDA

View Full Version : Move like a woman

Rikkicn
10-18-2006, 10:29 PM
This may be old news to many of you but it was kind of a new discovery for me.
Woe=men keep their arms very close to their bodies and I noticed on all of my picture my arms were away from my body and I looked life a weaight lifter..well sort of.
It's hard and will take practice and stretching but now I pretend that my elbows are attached with string to my side and the string is very short.
It feels akward but it does greatly improve my deportment.
A little change here, a little adjustment there andit just getting better and better
Hopes this helps. It did me

uknowhoo
10-18-2006, 10:42 PM
I tried tying a really short string once. It worked pretty well, but wrought havoc on my chicken dance abilities. :tongueout
Sorry, I really am, just couldn't resist.

Seriously though, you're right. I've just recently started the arms kept close thingy, and it does make a bit o difference for me as well.

Adrienne Heels
10-18-2006, 11:02 PM
That's a good point....I have been working on that as well as I have noticed that is how the girls at work walk

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Rikki you might be interested in this interactive animation (http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLgender.html) about the different in male/female walking styles. (BTW, turning on the lines will make the movement a lot clearer.)

Rikkicn
10-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Thanks Marlena,
That was really interesting and informative. Has it helped you?

linnea
10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
This was really helpful and interesting for me--thanks.

Rikki you might be interested in this interactive animation (http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLgender.html) about the different in male/female walking styles. (BTW, turning on the lines will make the movement a lot clearer.)

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Yeah it has.

Some lessons I've learned: Lead from the hips, not the chest -- or the chin. It helps if you rotate your wrist out slightly, which will cause your elbows to come in and arms to hang out slightly. Try have your thighs brush each other, which will create a bit more -- but not too much -- hip movement.

uknowhoo
10-19-2006, 01:00 AM
:thumbsup: Thanks Marlena for the link.:thumbsup: Very interesting!

AmberTG
10-19-2006, 01:16 AM
That animation is so cool! This is the secont time I've seen this link posted and it's quite facinating.

Phyliss
10-19-2006, 03:05 AM
I saw that animation about six months ago and have been practicing everyday. Now, I don't always walk like that, but everytime I become aware of my walking, I shift my gait to reflect those same movements.
After almost 62 years of walking in one fashion it's difficult to habitually change my style.
I will say that it's becoming easier to constantly walk like that as I become more and more aware of myself.

Joy Carter
10-19-2006, 04:13 AM
This is cool but are we trying to be to perfect +? I Think we would stand out more if we really did everything totally perfect. :2c:

Janet_Johnson_cd
10-19-2006, 05:33 AM
This is cool but are we trying to be to perfect +? I Think we would stand out more if we really did everything totally perfect. :2c:

I understand what you mean.

Kate Simmons
10-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Just a note on walking. When guys watch you walk, they are definately not checking out your "deportment." Just a little thing I've noticed by watching the "watchers".:happy: Ericka/Rich

Florence Tidji
10-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Another tric: walk on an imaginary line, it helps moving as a woman, without walking like Calamity Jane! ;-)

Charity's GG
10-19-2006, 06:46 AM
For gracefulness...try walking with books or plates on your head...always put one foot in front of the other...shoulders back:D

NatashaWI
10-19-2006, 07:06 AM
What a wonderful tip...I hadn't thought about keeping my arms in. I tried it and what a difference! As for walking, I've learned that keeping my shoulders back, chest out and putting each foot in front of the other works well for me. To remind myself, I give just a wee kick with my foot as I step. I see women doing this often and it certainly helps for me without being campy. It gives just a bit of a sway to my hips. Also, keep your head up! I tend to let mine sag a bit if I'm not paying attention. (If I don't pay attention, who will??)

Teresa Amina
10-19-2006, 07:27 AM
When guys watch you walk, they are definately not checking out your "deportment."

Yes, but the challenge is to "pass" in the eyes of women. Guys are dumb, women notice the smallest things.

Kate Simmons
10-19-2006, 08:03 AM
Yes, but the challenge is to "pass" in the eyes of women. Guys are dumb, women notice the smallest things.Yeah, Teresa, guess you "noticed" that. Takes one to know one. I rest my case.:happy: Ericka/Rich

Sky
10-19-2006, 10:59 AM

Joy, the sad thing is, some cds out there are too imperfect.

I've always thought some pay too much attention to what brand of makeup they wear, then go out and walk like, well, guys, and the whole effect is ruined.

In addition to all the good advice Marlena and other girls gave, note classy women walk with their hands pointing slightly forward and fingers stretched out. That adds to the forearms out - upper arms in effect. Guys tend to walk with their hands pressed against their sides, fingers bent in "claw" shape.

Sam-antha
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
Basically it is that elbow hinge that is different. the short string is good, but then, how short is a pice of string ? Hehehe
I have not got Florence's imagination, I use the line of the paving stones in the sidewalk. they also help to keep my steps necessarily short.
Of the pavement, I just try, but my feet can tend to get too close together - thigh brushing helps (hehe).