PDA

View Full Version : David's Bridal

SherriePall
10-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Was planning to do this Halloween Day, but decided it was best to do it now. So on Wednesday I drove down to the nearest David's Bridal shop, hoping to get there at exactly 10 a.m., what I thought was opening time.
However, arrived and found out they don't open til 11. So I went to a nearby mall and walked around til it was almost time.
Then I walked back over to David's and the door opened and I walked in to talk with the girl sitting at a small desk right inside.
I told her I was thinking about buying a gown or cocktail dress for Halloween. She said OK and that they had some on sale (which I already knew). So, I asked what price range the sale gowns were (they were up to 75% off, but I wanted to know how much). She said they started at $29 and I said OK, that is in my price range.
I thought that maybe I would have to make an appointment, but then she asked if I wanted to go over to the rack and look. I said I would, but I asked if I could get my under garments first from the car. She said no problem.
Armed with my bag of goodies, including my wig, I picked out three gowns from the size 12's.
I asked if I could try them on, and she said she had already set up a dressing room.
So in I went. The first one I tried on was a two-piece gown. The skirt was no problem, but the strapless top was -- I couldn't zipper it.
Placing my wig on my head (no mirrors in the room), I opened the door, wearing my 3-inch strappies and walked out and towards my "consultant.'
She came over and informed me that it was too small and I should try the size 18's. What a bummer!
Went over and picked three out and tried one on. It fell right off. Tried another and it too fell off. So, holding one on me, I went out and told her the 18's were too big.
Now, we're at the 16's. Got several and tried them on and showed her. Tried a couple more. Finally settled on a floor lenghth strapless teal blue chiffon gown with metallized silver accents and two straps coming from a broach in the center that tie around the neck.
We all agreed that it looked "stunning." I asked if they would take a couple of pics (had bought a disposable digital camera in the mall because I forgot mine), but they said it was store policy not to.
So, got changed back to drab and went to pay. While doing that, the consultant said something about my looking better as a woman than a man.
She asked what I thought. I told her I did, too. The three of us talked a little (the consultant, clerk, and I), and I was told to come back. I answered that they shouldn't tempt me. They laughed and said they have sales all the time.
By the way, I paid $29 for the gown. Pics will follow as soon as possible after Halloween.
Yes, I know that's two sets I owe you now.

Billijo49504
10-19-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the information, I didn't know they had them that cheap. You sure had a great experience with Davids Bridal.....BJ

ColleenCD
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Sherrie Lynn Pall, You march yourself upstairs right now and get those pictures completed so we can see them! Sounds like you had a fantastic time.
My guess is you will be back.

My wife and I were shopping last week next to a David's Bridal. She asked which store we were going to, I told her to David's. My bruises are healing nicely thank you.

Colleen

Karren H
10-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Wow Sherrie!!! Sound wonderful!! Can't wait for the photos either!! Where you going for halloween anyway?

Love Karren

JeanneF
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
I've found that formal gowns are really weird in sizing. I usually wear a size 12, but when I went to buy a formal gown a few months ago, I took a 16. The woman at the dress store said that the problem was my chest is a 16, even though my waist is a 12, but that's what alterations are for.

Awesome deal on the gown, btw! I may have to pay my local David's Bridal a visit to see if they're having a sale as well.

SherriePall
10-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Billijo -- Yes, I had a great experience. Was treated well and the price, I don't think, could be beat.
Colleen -- Probably will be back (at least to show them any pics of me completely dressed in the gown). Hope your bruises are healing.
Karren -- For Halloween (this is all tenative), plan to do some shopping en femme, stop at my pedicurist, maybe have a professional studio shoot (I did last year -- that's where my avatar pic comes from), and who knows what else I can fit into the couple of hours I'll have.
Lisa -- I really thought I'd walk right in, pull a couple of 12's off the rack and that would be it. I think I had read about the sizing on formal wear being different. Now I know. My top threw me off, too. The sales must be nation-wide because it's listed on the website. No wedding gowns, though.

Michelle2008
10-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Hello,

I was very straight forward with my local David's Bridal this past June and had a bridal gown fitting. I was treated like a true woman. I tried on about 5 different bridal gowns. My avatar is from that fitting and is a pic of the bridal gown I chose to purchase. It was very positive experience for me.

Anyone thinking of trying on bridal gowns at David's Bridal....go for it! They are very CD friendly!

Take Care,
Michelle

varinia
10-20-2006, 02:43 AM
I didn't know they had sales like that on dresses. I might in the future have to make a trip there myself and see that rack.

SherriePall
10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Michelle -- Yes, they did seem to be CD friendly. I didn't try on any bridal gowns because I can't afford one now and didn't want to put them through that without buying one. Maybe some other time.
Varinia -- From my experience, it wouldn't hurt to make a trip there.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
10-20-2006, 10:23 AM
I used to date a girl who had previously worked at David's Bridal. She told me that they were very CD friendly, that they had guys come in on a fairly regular basis to try clothes on and that they were even willing to make appointments for before the store opened sometime for the privacy of the customers. She said there was even one guy who had been a regular, who would come in once a week or so and try stuff on and they were willing to let him do it, even without buying anything.

terrigurl
10-20-2006, 08:36 PM
I have been to three different David's Bridal shops. All were very accomodating to me, letting me try on several downs. One associate even told me that one color looked best on me.
You are right about sizing; she told me that bridal gowns always run small, so you have to go up at least one size. I usually wear a 16, but I tried on some 18's as well as 16's.

Terri

Avsblues19
10-21-2006, 01:27 AM
I had no idea that David's Bridal is CD friendly. I always thought that it was a place to try wedding dresses on and that women only shopped there. I had no idea they have normal dresses. Does anyone think I should go? I don't want to make any women customers uncomfortable.

SherriePall
10-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Alyssa -- It's a good thing I live a ways from the store. I'd probably be a pain going in every couple of days or so to try on some new gown.
Terrigurl -- Did you go by appointment or just walk in. And you've done it three times? Wow.
Avsblues19 -- Really, I don't think there are any more sacred places left for GG's. Especially, when we CD's have the same color money. They don't have normal dresses -- gowns and cocktail dresses, that sort of thing. And, yeah, give it a shot.