PDA

View Full Version : Corseting

BeckyAnderson
10-20-2006, 01:41 PM
Hi Girls,

I think I have finally made up my mind to purchase a corset. I was hoping that some of you may be able to help out with some suggestions. I don't mind spending whatever I need to get a good corset. However, I would like to only spend it once.

A couple of things that I'm looking for are:

Solid construction capable of adequate body shaping without it stretching out of shape

Hopefully, can be front laced

It'll be worn under clothing

Should I try to find a corset shop close to the Philadelphia area for a custom fitting or can I have success mail order?

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hugs,
Becky

Angela Burke
10-20-2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Becky,
I just wanted to say one thing.
Make sure your corset is front lacing.
I've got two, both rear lacing, and
you wouldn't believe the contortions
I go through to get them on.
It's worth it though. They feel wonderful.
When you do get your corset remember
and post a pic.

MJ
10-20-2006, 02:03 PM
sorry becky this is the url www.fredericks.com/category.asp?catalog_name=Holiday2002&category_name=Corsets&Page=1&cookie%5Ftest=1

i like mine in white send it to my address kisses

hugs Marissa

Alayna
10-20-2006, 03:13 PM
If you're willing to spend what you need to do it right, you're ahead of the game :)

The best way to get what you want is to go custom, and I think your idea of finding a local shop is right on, especially if you want a front-lacing corset.

Front-lacing has some unique challenges - personally I think back-lacing are the most comfortable and structurally sound, but I understand the frustration of all that contorting :)

Delicious Corsets is the only one I know of in Philly, but I have worked with them before and they're knowledgeable and have good customer service (I don't know about their corsets directly, but they have a corset making supplies business that I regularly order from)

Their corsets range in the $300-$400 range, which is about standard for a well-made custom corset:

their address is:
1040 N. American st #901
Philadelphia, PA 19123

I totally believe in doing lots of research before buying something big like this too, so here's their websites that I know of :)
www.deliciousboutique.com
www.deliciouscorsets.com
www.corsetmaking.com

I think they'll work well for you, but if not and you can't find anyone locally, the next best thing is web-based corset makers. I know many reputable places in fact that mainly or only do business via the web.

good luck:thumbsup:

Andrea Nicole
10-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi,
If you really a good one, try Axford's. They are actully in the UK, but they are world reknowned for the finest corsets. They are NOT cheap...250-300+ USD BUT they work......it is amzaing how comfortable they are...even after a say 4" waist reduction, which should be the most you should try. I have worn them with a 4" reduction for more thatn 8 hrs... they are all that they are claimed to be ... I have a couple of their model C140 for evening gowns and cocktail dresses, and even though they are back lacing, you can get the hang of lacing it after a while.
It does help if you have help with a back lacing model, but my friend helps me every so often, and gets excited just helping me lace it up. They are incredibly sexy.
Just my opinion.

Dragster
10-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Vollers are also a good UK corset manufacturer. I have a basic satin one of theirs I found on ebay for a lot less than the list price. They say you should go for one 4" less than your natural waist, but I can now get mine down to 5" less (just) with back-lacing and the door-knob trick. It's not difficult when you get the hang of it. And you're right Andrea Nicole, they look and feel incredibly sexy, and work wonders for your figure!

Tony

Rachel Morley
10-20-2006, 07:10 PM
I now live in the US but I bought my corset from Axfords in the UK and I thoroughly recommend them. I love my corset, it helps to give me a fabulous feminine shape. Can we see some pics when you're done Becky? :happy:

Andrea Nicole
10-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Tony,
Hi,.....I was so impressed with my first one from Axfords, that at present I have 4 of them...3 of the C140's in different colors. They are worth every penny, because they work and are immensely comfortable even with a 4" reduction. My friend always gets excited when I put one of them on.
Take Care,
Andrea...

Timberley
10-21-2006, 12:44 AM
Hi Becky,
I have been looking at corsets also, can't decide between, price styles etc.
Definitely don't want something cheap which will break or fall apart too soon. But then again, I probably wouldn't use it enough to spend lots of money either.
My GF and I were at the local fair a few weeks ago, and a lady has a shop in town, where she makes them. We stopped by the booth to look. I really wanted to try one one, (they did have a small curtain), but it wouldn't be enough in the small community I live in. Anyway, my GF tried one on. She looked so sexy! She liked how she looked, but didn't think she would ever where it. Too bad I am so much larger than her, otherwise we could have both used it.
We grabbed a business card, maybe we will have to make a phone call.
Oh well, maybe someday.

:0)

ashlee chiffon
10-21-2006, 01:21 AM
might try looking on Ebay..plenty there..and also measuring advice on the store sites...also much cheaper, as a store measured one can run into the hundreds of dollars!
...front hooking types with rear lacing works well..you can get in and out without undoing the laces!
also...you don't measure as you would a normal garment...the waist size needs to be smaller or equal to your own... the corset won't fit well or cinch if it is too large and will slip around and feel uncomfortible, so most shops recommend buying a size smaller if there is any doubts...remember, you're squeezing up a bust and squeeeezing in a waistline!...
just a couple of hints!
have fun! ciao!

sterling12
10-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi Becky:

Custom made corsets are the best, but very pricey! They are probably worth it, but might I suggest as a starting point something off the rack that's very well made and will work quite adequately.

The Glamour boutique carries a German Brand at a very good price, (last time I checked under $100), and it is a true training corset, back laced, and I think that style works better. As previously stated, once you learn the "doorknob trick", you'll probably prefer the back-laced models. They are a lot easier to draw up tightly.

If you buy off Ebay or off The Web, do a search for "Training Corsets". Do not be fooled by the great majority of offerings which are strictly for show and will rip up the first time you put real pressure on the laces. There are a lot of these type corsets available and they often come from some of the bigger lingerie retailers.

The "underbust" style seems to work best for us as we seem to have longer torso's than the average GG and I think they just look and fit better.

Good luck, have fun, follow the instructions for breaking your corset in. Don't overtighten the thing till it takes a "set". And, don't try to wear your corset for hours on end until you build up a tolerance! I learned all this stuff the hard way.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Rita Knight
10-21-2006, 02:13 AM
Hi Becky,
I would suggest that you not buy an expensive corset for your first one. We have seen each other. Unlike me, you are just want it for a feminine shape. I wear one every time I dress to hold my guy gut in. I wear GER005 from Glamour Boutique http://www.glamourboutique.com/Cart/glamourboutique/shopping.cgi?page=bodyshape.html&category=yes&cart_id=8355066_12064 Personally, I think buying a corset from Frederick's is for showing off or underwear as outerwear. Also, I have never seen a good corset with the strings in the front. When they are in the back, you have to make sure that it is strung with the pulling strings long enough so they at least meet on your front side when the corset is loose. The major reason I am counseling against buying an expensive one is how will your guts react when you wear it for let's say 6 hours? As a guy, I wear waist size 40 jeans. For the GER005, I wear a 36 inch one. The one bad thing about this corset is that the steel bones around the lacing eyelets will wear through the cloth on the bottom.

shannonsilk
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM
don't get anything that says stretch 'cause they are just for show. and you need heavy material like drapery satin or it wil putll apart. do you really tie them in front? i always use the " draw cord stops" like on jacket waists and just slide them up when it's tight.

Amy Hepker
10-21-2006, 06:53 PM
try www.staylace.com for all your corseting information. I have a back lace Black corset and I really love it. I love the feeling I get when I get to wear it, and the way it shapes the body. The Corset is a wonderful thing. The fore mentioned site also has stories of corseting. Check it out. Feel controled and in control at the same time.
GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
AMY

BeckyAnderson
10-24-2006, 07:06 PM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I really, really want to move forward on this, I've even lost a few more pounds so it will be easier to squeeze into one. I promise that once I get it I will post a few before and after pics.

I can't wait....I'm so excited!

Hugs,
Becky

gianna25
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I am going to give the GER005 a try, thanks for the advice Rita

Sky
10-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Becky,

If you are new to this, you may want to try front hooks rather than laces, they are easier to use and are common in tough non-stretch waist cinchers. Like one girl above said, don't try stretch lycra or spandex stuff -unless you are in very good shape- since they don't help much.

Sky

gianna25
10-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Girls,

I took Rita's advice and ordered that corset from the Glamour Boutique. It just cae in today and I quickly tried it on during lunch. I was very impressed with the quality for the price. I will take some pics so you can see in the next day or 2 and post them so you can see what curves it created.

Gianna