PDA

View Full Version : I'm going a bit bonkers at the moment

Beth-GDB
10-21-2006, 05:55 AM
I'm just venting some pent up frustration at the moment.

I'm developing a case of "cabin fever" I think. I finally bought myself an apartment almost two years ago after living in a shared house for the best part of 20 years (and for almost the entire 20 years I was sharing that house with at least one of my brothers as well as various friends).

When I moved into the apartment it was bliss, all the privacy I could wish for (I guard my privacy very jealously). I didn't have to worry about someone else coming into my room looking for something and finding my "other clothes". I'd hang my "other clothes" out to dry on the balcony of the apartment mixed in with my regular clothes, no fuss, no drama, and I was starting to think more seriously about how to make myself look less like a hairy man in a badly fitting dress. That was until just over 6 months ago. Someone I used to work with got in touch with me needing a place to stay for a while, and they knew I had a spare bedroom that wasn't being used by anyone. This person had recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and while he was taking medication he was still having problems getting along with the other people he was sharing another place with. Eventually they gave him his marching orders and there he was, nowhere to go and a state of mind that was all over the place, telling me that even his own family wouldn't take him in. I told him he could stay with me for a while. Did I mention he's also unemployed? Yeah, the fun never ends it seems (although he's the one going through all that, not me).

I was expecting him to be gone again in maybe three months or so. That was wishful thinking. It's getting close to seven months now, with no end in sight at the moment.

So picture this, I have a bipolar houseguest who's in the apartment pretty much all day every day because he doesn't have a job, it's a small apartment, so the only privacy I have (again) is just my room. He can't afford to move somewhere else, and none of his close relatives who could help him if they wanted to will do so. While he's really eager to help with things like cooking, he's not particularly good when it comes to cleaning up (to be fair, he's not a slob, he does try. It's just that he's not very good at cleaning up), so it's now part of my personal routine to check his cleaning and redo part of it.

I think I'm starting to go through some sort of withdrawl of not being able to wear any of my "other" clothes at the moment, and the idea of just sitting around in my bedroom in them really doesn't appeal to me. I packed all my other clothes in boxes before he moved in and they're still packed away. I won't wear them because I don't have the privacy at the moment to properly wash and dry them. If he at least had a job and was out of the apartment regularly, I could develop my own schedule around that, but no, he hardly ever leaves the apartment. :straightface:

I'm not going to out myself to him for a couple of reasons. Since he's bipolar I'm not sure how he'd react. He was really struggling to cope with his own problems until he recently had his medication changed. Plus, because of my overdeveloped sense of privacy I want to be the person who decides who is told about me and what they're told. If I out myself to him, there's no guessing who he'd tell or what he'd tell them, especially if he's in one of his more manic moods, and we have a few mutual friends. I'm also not going to just order him to leave, he wouldn't cope well at all with that and I'm not that hard hearted. I've made it very clear to him that this isn't a long term arrangement, I do expect him to find somewhere else to live. When that will be is anyone's guess, but I don't expect it to be any time soon.

No doubt some of you reading this will say "I've been hiding this from people for years you wuss, stop whining". So have I. After I finished highschool and moved out of my parents home I hoped I'd have some real privacy. The realities of life, the cost of rent and some low paying jobs that in hindsight I stayed in for too long meant I was still sharing a place with one or another of my brothers for the best part of the next 20 years.

For a brief time, I finally started to have what I'd wanted for so long. I had my freedom, I had my privacy, I had my happiness. Right now I have no idea when I'll get any of them back again. :(

Sharon
10-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I think your immediate problem isn't your lack of privacy, but your lack of standing up for yourself and taking back your life.

I admire the fact that you took this person in, but seven months? If he's doing better with his meds(and even if he isn't), it would be in both of your best interests if you tell him he needs to move on -- that he needs to find employment and that he needs to make plans on finding another place to live.

You are responsible for you! You have done this person a huge favor by helping him out in his time of need, but now he needs to accept responsibility also. Otherwise, this may never end and neither one of you will be the better for it.

Leasa Wells
10-21-2006, 06:21 AM
I just had a similar experience, my suggestion is to tell him to leave. He is taking advantage of you, if you need to make a small lie then do so. Maybe you can say a relative is come for the holidays or your lease is up an your not landlord is going up on the rent now that two people are living there.

Pack his things change the locks an never do it again.

Jenna1561
10-21-2006, 06:58 AM
Similar experience last spring. After 2 months, we had gotten that person a job, some clothes, fed them, and helped them locate an apartment they could afford (wasn't good enough). Well, we said they had to be out by so and so and on that day I had the door locks changed and they didn't come back in - they were forced to go to another "friend's".

Some people don't really want help - they want a hand-out. 7 months? Time to say good-bye. TOUGH LOVE.

Jenna

paulaN
10-21-2006, 07:37 AM
put your foot down. set a date that he must be out by and stick to it. good luck.

Angie G
10-21-2006, 08:04 AM
You are not his mother you have helped him all you can it time to take you life back so you can be who you want to be :hugs:
Angie

CaptLex
10-21-2006, 08:09 AM
Beth,

For what it's worth, I agree with everyone else. Help is one thing, but co-dependence is another. Some people don't want a helping hand, they want someone else to take care of them. Take care of you - don't let this guy make you unhappy, frustrated, etc. Good luck! :hugs:

melanieee
10-21-2006, 08:22 AM
I ended up with a guy I knew staying with me for several months.He had no job, an alcoholic,lazy,didnt know what bathroom or kitchen was for.The couch and stereo, no worries! A complete user.My CDing wasnt an issue at the time,but the landlord said time to move on after the cops were around looking for stolen property he had pinched and hid in the back yard.Some guys just get dependant on others to organise their lives. They can spin a good story about hardtimes,debt, sickness, etc etc.......Move him on ....hes just manipulating your emotions.I saw the guy about 15 years later on a park bench from a distance,he looked the way as I remembered him,needed a haircut and a shave and probally a bath and a job.Bi polar???? I dont know,but a user for sure.

Dominique Melt
10-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Every response here is on the money, Beth. You did a noble thing by helping a friend in need. But this 'friend' is no true friend by the way he has installed himself. You are enabling his illness, Beth. Take your life and your apartment back ASAP, or you will be the one suffering the emotional drain and dysfunction.

Jodi
10-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Do you know these words? NO and GET OUT. Practice them. The word no is to be used in the first place. Now that you didn't have the balls to say NO, learn the words GET OUT. Assertiveness is never wrong. If we don't stand up for ourselves, noone else will.

Jodi

admirerplus GG
10-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Beth,

You have a generous heart. I agree with everyone here, it is time to be assertive and make your wishes known. You deserve to have a better quality of life as well.

This person is an adult and very capable to taking care of himself. You can not be responsible for him. He must take care of himself now.

I wish you success and freedom. Good luck!

jennig
10-21-2006, 09:41 PM
HI beth I would also say it was nice of you to help this person.and I DO AGREE ITS time for him to leave but I might add that you tell him the truth not about the c/d issue but his not having a job not cleaning up for him self I know this person has problems but he also has to face realty and grow up.
you would be doing this person a favor being up front with him. and beside all of this you cant dress like you want so kick him to the curb.
huggs jennig:2c:

Snookums
10-21-2006, 09:42 PM
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Sheila
10-22-2006, 06:15 AM
can't add anything different to what has been said already just add ny support for all that has been said. Go get your life back.

Jess(SO)

Sandra
10-22-2006, 06:57 AM
Seems he may be taking your kindness for granted, you need to get your life back so tell him he's got to go and don't take any moans and groans from him.

Kerry Owens
10-22-2006, 09:02 AM
First set a date, in stone, and tell him to start right now on finding programs (and I am certain there are programs designed for him) that he can be taken in to prevent homelessness. You are not a program.
He's got working meds, that means he either has a clinic that can help him be referrred.