PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with women's clothing sizes???

rachel_jean
01-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Who the heck came up with this 'sizing' method. 0,2,4,6...16,18... ??? Its nuts.

I just ordered (won an auction) on eBay for a denim skirt, in a misses size 6...

It said it has a 31" waist, which will work for me, suprised me though.
I was originally looking for a size 12-14. I hope it fits.

However, I also saw other skirts with larger sizes (8-12) with waist sizes listed from 29-32" ????

How can you possibly order something based on just the numeric size (6,8,10..) with any confidence it will fit.

Shoes seem to be the same way may times.

Does each mfg have a different sizing chart?
Sure seems that way.

Rachel Jean

Tristen Cox
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Most of these online stores have their own sizing charts, I would refer to each of them and not take it as the general size for all sites since they do indeed vary. Gets to be a pain in the arse I agree. Never buy anything unless they give you actual measures to go on.

Love
Tristen

Donna Louise
01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
I agree. I no longer go by size. I know approx what size I need 14. Yet I have everything from an 11 to 16. Go figure.

I have asked my wife and she just shakes her head. Tells me that is why you need to try it on. Well thanks for that info. She would kill me if I picked up a skirt and headed for the changing room :eek:

I have wondered what sort of tape measures they have: fat ones, skinny ones, young ones and old ones.

That brings up another point. If you look at womens clothes they are like 10/12 or 10, 12, 14. Now go to a misses dept they are 9/11 or 9, 11, 13.

How is a girl suppose to find anything.

Hugs
Donna Louise

Donna Louise
01-04-2005, 09:20 PM
One thing my wife told me that is true in my case anyway.

Take the waist, folded in half. Slip it around your neck. If it comes together it fits your waist.

I swear it works for me.

Now try to find a place to do without looking stupid is yet another story.

Donna Louise

KewTnCurvy GG
01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
If you look at womens clothes they are like 10/12 or 10, 12, 14. Now go to a misses dept they are 9/11 or 9, 11, 13.

Hi All,
Don't blame ya for being so frustrated here, but to answer your question as to who comes up with this system--MEN!!! Just kidding. I don't know but it seems that way to me. As for the differences, yes manufacturerers do have different sizes. For instance, some retailers target a much thinner and younger clientele (i.e., The Gap, Anthroplogie) and others a more realistic and mature type figure (Lands End, Talbots). So, in part it depends on manufacterer. And Donna, to respond to what you said aboe. Women's or misses clothing never comes in odd sizes or half sizes. Therefore, 9/11, 13, 11 etc. are all junior's sizes (made for teen bodies which are less curvy). Whereas, 10, 12, 14 etc. are misses sizes. The cut off of Misses is around 18 at which point the sizes become Women's. Anyway, don't know as I shed any light on this.

hugs
kew

Trinity_cat
01-04-2005, 09:34 PM
LOL very funny Donna.

How to spot a CD :- They are the ones in the ladies dept. with skirts around their necks :p

Fallen Angel
01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
wll heres another one my mother says the more expensive a garment the smaller the size she says that as they cut the pattern the sizes drift thats why you can cgo in on place try on some clothes and there a ten and go to some where else and there a 13 if your buying from a web site thats a company most of them have a trannsgender size chart shoes clothes ect but if your buying from a person with a lot of different items just be carefull or if you realy want to be brave find a store that you like become freindly with the sales ladies and try on the clothes that what i do hope this helps you and does not make you moore confused

Felicity
01-05-2005, 01:19 AM
What it is is that women like to say "I only wear a size __" (fill in a number.) Some manufacturers have decided to lie about the sizes so they can sell a size 10 as a size 6 for example. When women find two items they like but must chose between the two, they buy the smaller of the two. It's a vanity issue. That's why sizes on womens attire has become so out of hand.

Jen_TGCD
01-05-2005, 02:09 AM
I have noticed that more expensive women's clothing is a smaller size, for me. I wear a 14/16 at Coldwater Creek (fairly consistant but not always) but at WalMart (ugh!!!) I fit 18 or x-large. But a blouse (retail) at Coldwater Creek is US$80 and WalMart is US$12.

Regarding auctions... I found that if I measure something that I already own, that fits, and then email the seller to check the measurements of the garment that they are selling, I usually get something that fits... or at least close. Also, because it's a pain in the bootie to return something, I never buy anything real expensive. After all... the auctions are supposed to be "bargains". So, basically, do not go by the size... get the real measurements... especially across the back of the shoulders... from sleeve seam to sleeve seam. A 32 inch waist will fit me but generally is too tight in the bust or shoulders. If the shoulders fit then you can wear a belt or sash to adjust the waist. Buying anything fitted is risky!

I gave up buying from Ebay... except for vintage items that I just can't find locally or online. You find something you like on auction, you get all excited, you bid, you wait for a week until the auction closes, you win, you pay, you wait another week to get it... and then it doesn't fit or is nothing like the photos. Major bummer!!! Once in a great while... you get something that is perfect... but not very often.

At least ordering online from a reputable store, it's easy to return something that just doesn't fit or look nice. You get what you ordered in three to five days, usually with free shipping. And, the sales and closeout prices are often better than what I have spent at Ebay in the past.

Good luck... and have fun!!! :)

Donna Louise
01-05-2005, 05:37 AM
Jen

You are completely correct about ebay. To keep myself in stiches (pun intended) I have sold on ebay many times.

Ladies I am probably beating a dead horse here but if you don't see a measurement ask. I always included size and:

Skirt - Waist, hip, length
Top - Shoulder seam to seam, underarm to underarm (bust), sleeve length,
collar to hem length
Dress - Shoulders, bust, waist, hip, length (c to h)
Pants - Waist, hip, inseam length
Whether measurements were flat (i.e. item folded as waist)

Ladies if you don't see these measurements ask for them. Most sellers will give them to you. If not pass the item by.

I never had an item returned or bad feedback from any of the sales of ladies items. I will also say whether it is washable of dry clean only.

I hope that this helps any potential ebay shoppers.

Donna Louise

Sharon
01-05-2005, 11:02 AM
Donna Louise,
You're the type of EBay seller I look for when I'm buying clothing. You can't depend on the sizes given by category. Just last night I saw a skirt listed under "Misses-size 12" that mentioned a 36 inch waist! And that was from a seller who provided measurements!

StephanieCD
01-06-2005, 03:15 PM
One thing my wife told me that is true in my case anyway.

Take the waist, folded in half. Slip it around your neck. If it comes together it fits your waist.

I swear it works for me.

Now try to find a place to do without looking stupid is yet another story.

Donna Louise

I can't believe it! I thought I was the only one in the world (along with my Dad who taught me)... my waist is exactly half the size of my waist so wrapping something around my neck, buttoned, is as effective as trying it on! I've gotten some looks though ;)

DonnaT
01-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Doesn't work for me. 18 inch neck and a 41 inch waist. :eek:

paulaN
01-06-2005, 03:53 PM
That's a great trick, and I love the joke about it. but still, why does the garment industry do this with womans clothes? I think it is because thay know woman are going to try it on any way regardless of what it says for a size. In todays electronic world woman should damand that the size thing be standerdized. whatdaya think girls good idea? It sure would help us cross dressers.

Bernadina
01-06-2005, 09:36 PM
Who the heck came up with this 'sizing' method. 0,2,4,6...16,18... ??? Its nuts.

I just ordered (won an auction) on eBay for a denim skirt, in a misses size 6...

It said it has a 31" waist, which will work for me, suprised me though.
I was originally looking for a size 12-14. I hope it fits.

However, I also saw other skirts with larger sizes (8-12) with waist sizes listed from 29-32" ????

How can you possibly order something based on just the numeric size (6,8,10..) with any confidence it will fit.

Shoes seem to be the same way may times.

Does each mfg have a different sizing chart?
Sure seems that way.

Rachel Jean
There are only two ways make sure it fits.

1. Try it on.

I've taken ladies clothes to the mens fitting room to try on. And I always try on the shoes. Usually in the shoe dept. I just step out of my guy shoe and into the girl shoe. It it fits, great. Gloves have to be tried on.

2. Know your measurements. Almost as good as trying on but not always.

(And always carry a tape measure with you all the time. You never know when you will come across that lovely top or see just another thrift store to check out.)

Key measurements to know. The e.g.'s are my measurements.

Shoulders. Make sure the shoulders on the garment are at least your measurement. Don't go too much over though.
e.g 17"

Bust. Measure around and over the breasts. Measure the garment from underarm to underarm and double it.
e.g. 40" bust, 20" garment x 2 = 40"

Waist.
e.g. 30-31"

Hips. Usually not as critical for dresses as for pants.
e.g 34"

Sleeve.
e.g. 23"

Neck to waist. Nothing worse than a top that is too short.
e.g. 25"

Inside leg. Got to get those pant legs long enough.
e.g. 31"

Neck. Sometimes important.
e.g. 15"

Oh, and like everyone else, I usually don't take much notice of the size numbers except as an indication that it may fit.

Hope this helps.

GraceUSA
01-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi All,
Don't blame ya for being so frustrated here, but to answer your question as to who comes up with this system--MEN!!! Just kidding. I don't know but it seems that way to me. As for the differences, yes manufacturerers do have different sizes. For instance, some retailers target a much thinner and younger clientele (i.e., The Gap, Anthroplogie) and others a more realistic and mature type figure (Lands End, Talbots). So, in part it depends on manufacterer. And Donna, to respond to what you said aboe. Women's or misses clothing never comes in odd sizes or half sizes. Therefore, 9/11, 13, 11 etc. are all junior's sizes (made for teen bodies which are less curvy). Whereas, 10, 12, 14 etc. are misses sizes. The cut off of Misses is around 18 at which point the sizes become Women's. Anyway, don't know as I shed any light on this.

hugs
kew

Kew is right, different bands will tend to cut their garments for a certian size/body type. Its good too because women are not made the same and shopping around helps find the stores and brands that fit my figure better. Me I'm looking for clothes for tall thin ladies that are not very curvy. :)

Grace

rachel_jean
01-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Just a quick follow-up

Well my size 6 just arrived and it fits my 31" waist just find.
Almost a tad big actually.

Wow, I'm a size 6 :)

Now I need a new top to go with it.

Rachel Jean