PDA

View Full Version : Impromptu shopping trip

Jodi
10-23-2006, 07:58 PM
I had not planned to go shopping tomarrow, but about an hour ago, I got a call from the manager at my favorite BCBG store. She wanted to inform me about the new stuff they had gotten in, and there is a jacket that she knows is me. We chatted for about 20 minutes. She said that before she leaves tonight, she will set up a fitting room for me. She has done this before. She puts in about a half dozen outfits that she thinks I will like to include the right shoes and bag. When she does this, the sizes put in the room are always the correct sizes and the styles are the ones I like.

This is always fun. I will go in drab and enjoy myself.

Jodi

Joy Carter
10-23-2006, 11:22 PM
You know this is cool that you have a retailer who cares enough to see you dressed right. I just had my second face to face shopping experience and I hope to go back again. Joy at "Joy's Tall Fashions" was super and even did a rush job on the tailoring of some slacks I bought. I think she really cared how I looked. So Jodi do ya give your retailer a big hug after the deal ? I know I'm going to ask Joy because of the way I was treated.

:hugs: :D :hugs:

Billijo49504
10-24-2006, 12:01 AM
WOW!! You sure got a good store, better keep them on your good side....BJ

Phyliss
10-24-2006, 04:00 AM
Jodi, you are soooo lucky to have a retailer that will go out of their way to assist you. That was a wondeful thing the owner did. I'm sure you've spent a bundle there. Personal service like that is so rare these days.

Sophia Rearen
10-24-2006, 07:54 AM
You gotta love that!

Jodi
10-24-2006, 09:14 PM
Well, I did go shopping. I got to the BCBG store at about 10:10 AM. Only one other customer in the store. The asst manager, Erin greeted me warmly and told me which room was set up for me. She said that Kara, the manager, had left me sticky notes on each item with recommendations on what to put with it. This morning, I took my padding (hip padding/bra and forms) in a bag to get the true impression on fit. In the room were, 2 dresses, three sweaters, two skirts, one pair of casual cords, one pair of skinny cropped pants, a white, cotton tunic blouse, three belts, two purses, and four pairs of heels, and the black jacket she had mentioned in the phone call. I was in the fitting room for about 45 minutes trying things on. With each outfit, Erin would come into the fitting room to judge fit and style. Neither of the dresses were a great fit for me. Thought they made me look fat (lol). I ended up buying a gray pencil skirt, the white cotton tunic blouse, a brown sweater, two belts, a purse and a pair of beige, suede, anklestrap, peeptoe pumps. I did not get the black jacket that Kara liked. It was not I as it was too flamboyant. It had a large fur collar. Too much for me. I then visited with Erin for about another half hour before leaving. Yes, it is great to have this kind of a relationship with this store. This relationship was not built overnight. This rapport is a culmination of over three years of shopping with these people. I worked hard to build trust. I was open and honest with them from the very start. Establishing a trusting relationship takes time and work, but it is worth it.

I stopped into the Dress Barn store to brouse. The SA greeted me, and I replied with a smile and a humorous quip about the weather. She walked over to me to assist. I explained that I was looking for a red tunic sweater and that I was a cd and it was for me. Her response was "cool". "Thanks for being honest". They didn't have what I wanted, but she thanked me again for being open with her. She then told me that many men come to Dress Barn to shop. Most in drab and some dressed femme. She related that most guys are so nervous that she expects them to wet themselves. Others are so nervous that it causes them to be rude to the staff. She said that it is a joke among the SA's on all the funny excuses that guys make up for shopping, when the SA's are cd friendly and will gladly help. She said that all the SA's will do all they can to ensure that each guy is buying the right size, color and style. They want the cd customers to look good in their clothes. She then told me she was the store manager. She knows that there is a whole other market out there for their clothes, and she is willing to sell to anyone who is willing to pay.

That is just one store in that chain, but Dress Barn is known to be cd friendly everywhere.

So girls, get out there and shop.

Jodi

Mitzi
10-24-2006, 10:30 PM
You go gurl!!!

Your mentioning Dress Barn reminded me of the time I went to one of their shops dressed in a cutesy junior outfit with 4" heels, waaay age inappropriate, but they treated me like any other female customer, bringing me different outfits to try and critiquing the looks. I'd only intended to go to Carla's (a TG boutique/shop) in that outfit, but went into the Dress Barn on an impulse.

I didn't buy anything, but they were very nice.

Mitzi

Adrienne Heels
10-25-2006, 06:56 AM
Jodi, your experience should really show the other girls how important it is to be honest with the SA's. That's why I always let them know that I am shopping for myself.

I am working towards developing just that kind of relationship with the girls at Nine West and The Limited.

Karyn

Karren H
10-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Why didn't you call me!!!! I always love shopping!! Where? In Greensburg?

Love Karren

Jodi
10-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Why didn't you call me!!!! I always love shopping!! Where? In Greensburg?

Love Karren

Not Greensburg Karren. Was at the mall in Grove City.

Jodi

Phyliss
10-26-2006, 03:10 AM
"....Establishing a trusting relationship takes time and work, but it is worth it...."

Truer words have never been spoken.

A few stores I shop at know about me and as a result I can enjoy myself without any problem.

Victoria Pink
10-26-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm going to throw in my HUGE support for Dressbarn. I have been to 3 different stores now and everyone was excellent! I was in drab the first time and was looking at dresses and asked the SA for some help with sizing. We were looking at two dresses that were on sale - but I thought maybe too small. It was empty in the store at the time, so I worked up my nerve and said, "can I try these on?" BOY - did her face light up! She said, "oh, are we shopping for you?" I said "yes" seeing how excited she seemed to be. Then he took my hand and lead me to a dressing room.

The dresses were too small, but when I came back out - she had picked out 3 more dresses for me to try on. One fit beautifully and it was a gorgeous dress. I bought it. Then she hleped me size and pick out a matching necklace.

I thanked her for her help, to which she said, "Once I knew who "we" were shopping for it made a BIG difference". She and the other store attendant were very happy for me and told me to come back soon.

Victoria