PDA

View Full Version : Can't buy shoes

noname
10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Anyone ever have trouble buying shoes? What do you have to say in order to get help.

At Maceys

Excuse me, can you help me with something?

What are you looking for?

Shoes.

Oh you need to go down this isle turn right.

Umm.... yeah, but I'm here.

Exactly, you need to go to the mens department. If you down the this isle...

I realize that, but I'm looking to buy shoes here.

Well you need to go to the mens department.

No, I'm looking to buy shoes here, my jeans ( flare ) tend to drag on the ground and I'm looking for some heals to get my jeans off the ground.

What size are you?

No, we don't carry anything over 10.

What you don't see in the little transcript here is how nasty her tone was. I strongly suspect she's lying about sizing. I find it hard to believe a store like maceys never carries shoes over size 10. Maybe I'm pms'ing but really, someone in a shoe department asking for help with shoes what to do FREEKING THINK! MORON!

What is the best place to get shoes. I'm guessing I may have to go to a place like nordstroms. Or will I get shafted there to? I'm sorry, maybe I'm asking too much to be treated like a human being.

Stephenie S
10-26-2006, 12:41 AM
Dear noname,

It might be better to tell the SA what you want. Nowhere in your quoted exchange did I hear you say you wanted WOMEN'S shoes. You seemed to want her to read your mind. It seems to me quite understandable that she tried to direct you to the men's deptartment. Just come out and say it. "I am shopping for women's shoes".

Now, many womens' shoe departments don't stock above a 10. There just isn't much demand for anything larger. They have to stock what they can sell. I agree, one would think that Macy's would have some 11 and 12 shoes, but I am not really surprised she said that. To get any real selection in larger sizes you have to go to a specialized shoe store, or on line.

I shop at PayLess and even there the selection is very limited in my size, 12. But, Payless does have an online store and you can pick up any shoe you buy on line at your local store. That way, if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit, you don't have to send it back. You just don't take it home. Easy! And you have to agree, the price is right.

We bigger girls just don't have much market clout. Sigh . .

Lovies,
Stephenie

Tanya83
10-26-2006, 12:56 AM
I love Payless! Online is great. You don't even have to pay shipping if you have it delivered to one of their stores.

Joy Carter
10-26-2006, 12:58 AM
Try Zappo's but they are kinda high priced. The one thing is they have a no hassle return policy. So I'd order a couple of sizes just so you can get the right one the first time around. Roman's are reasonable and they have my size thirteen WW. Another thing I'm learning is that size varies from brand to brand. I buy one brand and I'm sure to get the fit I want always.

Blonde
10-26-2006, 03:36 AM
I bought all of my fem shoes at howcool.com, sizing has been great, the pulldown menus shoe sizes in mens, womens, euro, and I think asian.

I take a woman's 14

noname
10-26-2006, 03:43 AM
would Nordstroms have above size 10? I once had a GF that was 6' 2" and she had either size 12 or 14 size feet. I remember her going to nordstroms.

I'm really not one to shop online. I know it probably won't happen, but I would really just like to go to nordstroms and be treated like any other customer. :sad: I've been there before for guy shoes, it's the only place I'm treated like gold where they put the shoes on for you. I want the same level of service and respect. I guess what you want and what you get are two different things.

I think it's rediculous. Like I tell my wife, somehow if I had boobs they would happy to help me and tell me how great something looks.

I would be surprised they don't carry above 10. When I was in pennys, a women there was looking for a size 12, so I wouldn't think an 11 is all that big. Dang, I'm so close to being able to wear any style. such a shame.

ophillia
10-26-2006, 05:14 AM
Try payless, just got a pair of ballerina flats there last night. They'll go great with a skirt or jeans.

NatashaWI
10-26-2006, 06:46 AM
Anyone ever have trouble buying shoes? What do you have to say in order to get help.

At Maceys

Shoes.

No, I'm looking to buy shoes here, my jeans ( flare ) tend to drag on the ground and I'm looking for some heals to get my jeans off the ground.

What size are you?

What you don't see in the little transcript here is how nasty her tone was. I strongly suspect she's lying about sizing. I find it hard to believe a store like maceys never carries shoes over size 10. Maybe I'm pms'ing but really, someone in a shoe department asking for help with shoes what to do FREEKING THINK! MORON!

What is the best place to get shoes. I'm guessing I may have to go to a place like nordstroms. Or will I get shafted there to? I'm sorry, maybe I'm asking too much to be treated like a human being.
I agree with the other girls that recommend Payless. Look on line, see what they have in your size, fall in love with a pair and then hit the mall. The shoes are organized very well and you can slip on a pair to ensure a good fit. From my experiences there, I assume they have many CD customers. None of the salespeople have even blinked when I checked out.
Another wonderful place is crossdressusa.com. Right now I'm wearing a new pair of 4 in pumps that arrived yesterday. Diane is a marvelous proprietor and will be happy to help you with shoes or anything else you need.

Natasha

Karren H
10-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Value City carries sizes to 11 and some 12's......never had a problem there or anywhere else...

Love Karren

REBECCA62
10-26-2006, 07:12 AM

At Maceys

Shoes.

What size are you?

hi,
i methinks the lady doth protest too much.
and that our american cousins are luckier than us here in the little ol' uk.
our shops stop at size 8, which i find a real bitch as i am a 9.
and theres always mail order, isnt there.

take care + dont forget, if the shoe fits WEAR IT !
love rebecca
:doll:

KathrynTX
10-26-2006, 07:19 AM

At Maceys

Shoes.

What size are you?

Whenever I encounter an attitude like that or thinly veiled suggestions from the SA that I'm in the wrong place, I just turn around and leave and never shop there again. If the store's employees are going to be like that, it'll be a cold day in Hell before they get my dead presidents. :2c:

keeley
10-26-2006, 08:41 AM
I have enough trouble trying to find men's shoes that fit that I haven't even attempted to buy a nice pair of heels. I suppose that would change if I was ever to leave the house

Siobhan Marie
10-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Hi Noname, have you tried eBay for your shoes? I take a large size as well and when I wanted some heels I tried eBay and got lucky and got the heels I wanted. You might get lucky too. Hope this helps you.

:hugs: Anna Marie x

tall_brianna
10-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Maybe I care more about getting the shoes than I do about having an SA respect my right to wear what I want... so I lie :happy:. A few stock ones:

"I'm an actor at [insert some obscure theater] and I have to play a woman. Costumes dept., not suprisingly, doesn't have any size 13 shoes." Have some details about an upcomming show.

"I'm buying an outfit for my wife and we have the same size feet - in fact, while I'm at it, maybe I should get her a pair of running shoes so she isn't always using mine"

Or just look for the obviously gay guy working in womens shoes and just tell him the truth. :love:

I used the wife lie at Nordstroms once to try on the only two pair of size 13 shoes they had. But most of the time... I just order online. That can be difficult though if only because the vast majority of what is available online in my size amounts to fettish wear specificly for TVs :thumbsdn:

Good luck,

-b

Billijo49504
10-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I too love Payless, the girls at our store are great to deal with. Oh and they have a AAA discount. Also Avenue goes to 12 or 13....BJ
ps. I'd call the store and ask for a manager, to report the SA.

sarah-smith
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
I'm lucky on this one as I'm a size 10 in mens shoe but fit perfectly into a 8 in womens. 6 at a push 7 don't give me enough support so i stick to 8s.

like others on here, ebay is the best for me... no one asks questions.
there are quite a few CD shops on ebay also who carry huge sizes (mens 15 largest I seen in heels) in gorgeous designs :happy:

Christina Nicole
10-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Youi don't shop too much I guess. Department stores put labels on the bottom of the shoe. The label shows the manufacturer, shoe name, price, available colors and SIZE RANGE. Usually they stock sizes 6-10. You can also see by the label lif they only stoick medium or if they also carry narrow and wide sizes.

Also, while Talbots and Ann Taylor both offer larger shoe sizes on-line and in their catalog, the stores usually only carry sizes 6 - 10. That's pretty much the norm from what I have seen.

Next time, check the label of the shoe you like. If it shows your size, ask the sales associate, "May I please see these in a size XXX?"

Warm regards
Christina Nicole

EricaCD
10-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi noname...reading your exchange, I think there's a good chance that you had just terribly confused the SA. You hadn't given any indication that you understood what she said. Moreover, for all you know, she thought you meant you needed a men's size 11 = fem size 13 = she's right they don't have any.

Just say "I am looking for some women's shoes for me. My women's shoe size is 11 and I like _________." If you can't, then go with one of the standard fibs: "buying for my wife" or whatever. And, if you want to enable them to work with you, and maximize the likelihood of a positive outcome (both for you and for them):

1. Go early in the day if possible, so the place is not crowded. You will also enable them to be less concerned about possible reactions of other customers.

2. Be crystal clear about what you are looking for.

3. Be polite and patient - remember that in many cases you are asking a SA to come up a sensitivity learning curve awfully fast!

If you do your best to make the SA's task of relating to you as a CD as positive an experience as possible, you'll be surprised at the outcome. I have NEVER, after a lot of shopping in drab, had a problem. And if, despite these efforts, you are treated rudely or whatever, then by all means never darken that store's doorway again.

Erica

KimberlyS
10-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Hi NoName,

I am surprised at the clerk's response to you. Recently while checking out the undergarments at a Macys store I seen a new model of a Flexees Girdle/Shaper that was similar to one I really liked except it had a zipper instead of all hooks up the front. Well I found my size and what looking to see if there was anything else new when a clerk came up and asked if she could help. I said yes, is the sizing on this girdle the same as the older model. After describing it for her she remembered it and said that she thought it was. We then talked about why I liked that model and was bummmed that the older one was discontinued. Well after doing that for a few minutes she said to follow her to the clearance where she showed me some clearance girdles that she said she just loved. Well we found what should have been my size. As you know sizing varies and I said something similar to the clerk. We she says that we should make sure and says to follow her. I wonder where we are going but I follow her,..... to the fitting rooms. She makes a quick check to make sure they were clear and shows me to a fitting room and says to let her know if I need a different size in either.

Well after trying on and they fit I come out and she is right back to see if I need anything else. We chat some more about boned vs unboned girdles and she said she has not had any problems with the one she showed me from clearance. So I decide to get that one and try it out tomarrow. So tomarrow I tried it out and it worked great, and no roll down all day. So that night i go back to get more of them if they were not gone yet.

Well I get there and go straight to the clearance and yes there is two more. As I finish up looking a different clerk comes up and offers to help. I say I have found what I needed, two more of the these, showing her, that I got last night. I said that it worked so good today and was very comfortable all day that I decided to get more of them if I could. She said they were a good deal and did I need anything else. I just needed to pay. I go up to pay and we continue to chat about girdles and about the new flexees model that I was looking at last night. She said it had not been out long. I said I would wait for them to go on sale and get one then.

Done paying, I say thank you and leave. As I walk away I think to my self, did that all just happen. I was in guy mode, and two nights in a row, two different gals, no problem me wearing or trying on girdles, and both of these gals new their girdles..... Like wow.

So maybe your experience was more based on the individual clerk(s) or mine was. My experience was great and well above what I expected. All I can say is try a different clerk or a different store.

KimberlyS - CD

SherriePall
10-26-2006, 01:34 PM
When it comes to shoes, Payless is probably the place to go. Although I wear a women's 9 1/2, I have noticed a fairly large selection of larger sizes. And I think they know who buys them.

noname
10-26-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I did have a couple of questions.

I tried a pair on at payless, while my feet fit into them, and size felt ok, the shoe felt hard. Is this normal? I took a few steps and could not see myself wearing them for even an afternoon. As I've never worn anything with a heel before I'm not certain how they should feel. I used to have cowboy boots with heels and they were super comfy.

As for buying online. I don't like to buy online. As for excuses. I'm a terrible liar and it's not something I would want to do.

Thanks again.

Butterfly Bill
10-26-2006, 02:47 PM
would Nordstroms have above size 10? I once had a GF that was 6' 2" and she had either size 12 or 14 size feet. I remember her going to nordstroms.

Nordstrom does indeed have large women's sizes. I got one of my favorite pairs of boots there in size 13 at the one in Overland Park, KS.

Other stores that have up to 12 are Pay Less and some, but not all Wal-Marts.

Blonde
10-26-2006, 03:58 PM
But most of the time... I just order online. That can be difficult though if only because the vast majority of what is available online in my size amounts to fettish wear specificly for TVs :thumbsdn:

Good luck,

-b

Bianna, try howcool.com for online. Not all the shoes in there are fetishwear, I got 2 sets of pumps from there, one with 3" heals, and one with 4" heals (I wear the 4" mostly), and if they have my size (Womens 14), they will have your size there.
I have been VERY happy with howcool.com's shoes. I've never gotten a pair that didn't fit right out of the box (I take a mens 12 wide).:thumbsup:

ps, they have sales all the time, and if you signup for thier newsletter, they always send out a dicount code for the current sale in thier newsletter

noname
10-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Nordstrom does indeed have large women's sizes. I got one of my favorite pairs of boots there in size 13 at the one in Overland Park, KS.

Thanks bill, did they treat you with respect, with the service they would give most customers? Yes, I realize my milage may vary.

Funny thing you guys say about payless. Where I live none of them have above a 10, except one store with a very few 11's.

LindaG
10-26-2006, 05:06 PM
I got mine at target, I look on line first see what type of shoes they have
and what they have in sizes. I went to kohl's yesterday they have nothing for
shoes that I liked. try payless

kathy gg
10-26-2006, 05:16 PM
I hope you won't take this the wrong way and I am not saying anything that happened was totally your fault, maybe the SA truly was being a t-phobic...

but you say you have a wife...

I find when my hubby is in boy mode {that means no wig, no make up, ect} and I am with him and we do have to buy items like shoes or other things....SA's are more apt to be helpful when there is a gg present.

Any chance you can talk yoru wife into coming with you next time? It certainly makes things easier.

I am not defendng this ladies behavior...okay, I personally dont' go back to stores where I get that "you people are freaks" vibe. But I avoid all confrontation when I can....if that means choosing the more alternative funky looking clerk rather than the older lady so be it. What ever route gets me from point a to point b with the least amount of resistence.

Emeralddragon
10-26-2006, 05:18 PM
I hate ireland when it comes to shoes. NOWHERE seems to stock anything larger than an 8. I take a 12. I cant afford to buy online and so i have no choice but to go without. Damn society. Why cant we have one like in star trek where money is irrelevant. It would make things much easier for us poor kids.

AprilMae
10-26-2006, 07:13 PM
I buya lot at kohl's. Also shoes.com is good.

jill c
10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
I went to a Payless and said that i needed shoes for a Halloween costume. The SA asked about sizing - men's 12. she had nothing but called about Town to find a store that had 13's. I went to the second store. i said that THe other store had called and she showed me the range of shoes She suggested to try 12's also. She said to try on whatever I wished. SHe did push the high heel boots. There were two families in hte store and no one semed to care.

i tried on a pair of high heel Mary Janes. The do fit tight. and they were hard to walk in at first...

i saw on the internet that they offer a 13w inlimited styles. i went back to the first store and asked them to order a pair for me. i had the print out of what i wanted. She had no problem in placing the order. 14 to 17 days for delivery.

so you can buy shoes. this was my first attempt and i lived through it.

now i love theose high heels

Jodi
10-26-2006, 07:38 PM

At Maceys

Shoes.

What size are you?

Noname, I shop Macys all the time for shoes. I have shopped in the same several stores for years. I go right to the womens shoe dept. I look around. When the SA comes to offer assistance, I tell her exactly what I want. I then try on in drab right in the shoe dept. Granted, now, I am an old, known customer, but in the beginning, I just came right out and said I wanted to try the shoes on. The SA's response was--"Do you need a footie" (little disposable stocking for trying on shoes). Macys is there to sell and provide excellent service. The last three times that I have bought shoes, I got on the Macys website and gave the SA a glowing report on her great service. With their SA ratings readily available on the website, there is no smart SA that will be anything other than courteous and helpful, and any dumb, rude SA deserves to be blasted. I know that a great report given is read off in a staff meeting.(SA's have told me this) I'm sure a bad report results in admonishment.

BTW, I am a size 10, but I know that Macys carries size 11 and 12 in many styles. Just go to the shoe dept, tell the SA you need a size 11. Give her an Idea what you are looking for, and then try them on.

Jodi

veronica
10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Well I Go To Payless And Ross But I'm Fortunate Enough To Live In Beautiful So. Cal. So I Go To Fredricks Of Hollywood In Hollywood And Even Better Mya's On Hollywood Blvd (both Have Web Sites) And Both Let You Try On Shoes All Day And Are Very Helpful And Non Judgemental.

The Macy's I Shop At Is Very Polite I Just Can't Afford Shoes There But Have Bought A Skirt There With No Problem.

All My Shopping Is In Drab

Butterfly Bill
10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks bill, did they treat you with respect, with the service they would give most customers? Yes, I realize my milage may vary.

I found on a display the kind of boot I wanted, then pointed it out to a salesman (yes, man) and I sat down and told him I was probably a 12, then he went in back and came out with a box containing them (that's how they do it in an upscale store, there arent a bunch of racks with shoes out grouped by size like in the Pay Less or Wal-mart), and I stuck out my feet, and he put them on me, and invited me to stand up and walk around in them for a bit. I thought they felt a little too tight and I asked for the next larger size. Those worked and i bought them.

I was in a dress and pantyhose as I walked in there, and there were no questions asked about who they were for.

Shannon CD
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Try this site. I have had nothing but good luck with them and I wear a 12. They even have a size conversion chart to show what size you would need. I know that most of us know our size, but it is a good indication that they are very CD friendly. Good prices, too.

www.sexyshoe.com

Lindsay Marie
10-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I bought my first public pair at a place called Rainbow, they go up to 11 and have some beautiful shoes and are really decently priced too.

noname
10-26-2006, 09:26 PM
I find when my hubby is in boy mode {that means no wig, no make up, ect} and I am with him and we do have to buy items like shoes or other things....SA's are more apt to be helpful when there is a gg present.

Any chance you can talk yoru wife into coming with you next time? It certainly makes things easier.

My wife was with me. I also never dress to pass, ever. I think I'm probably the most moderate dresser here. I guess I'm just a sucker for style. I also don't see the difference between buying shoes, vs. groceries or any other common item.

To who it was that said they carry size some shoes in size 11 and 12, well I will be giving them a call tomorrow and complaining.

Also can some GG's tell me a bit about comfort. The ones I tried on at payless, I'm not sure if it was just a cheap shoe or was it because of the 2" heel? Yeah, I know it's probably hard to describe how it should feel. I just have nothing to go on.

bianncats
10-26-2006, 10:25 PM
I am a shoe dog...have been for twenty years.

1. All companies do NOT make above an 11 or a 12 for that matter. The population is getting larger as a whole so these sizes will become more prevalent.

2. Some (local owners) have catalogs you can order from.

3. The best way to get a good fit is to have someone check your toes and please check the ball of your foot to be sure you are properly supporting the arch. (I've seen enough hallux valgus, hammer toes, tailors bunions, heel pain and metatarsalgia to last a lifetime).

4. If I were you I would have had a shoe in my hand, walked to the salesperson and asked to try on this specific shoe and have the SA to check my size. Ask her if she can recommend another store if they do not have the size.
enough for now...

Biannca

I could go on but this is a good start.

Lois1234
10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi noname
I've gotten some great shoes here. http://www.pierresibler.com/ They also have lots of other goddies. They ship in very discret packaging too.

Good luck....Lois...

Nina L
10-27-2006, 06:25 PM
I highly recommend Payless. They carry a nice range of footwear, from practical to "not so practical".

I wear a men's standard-width 10, and the Payless women's 11 wides fit me perfectly. :battingeyelashes: The shops in my area carry up to women's 12W, so that should cover up to around a men's 11 standard.

The Payless shoes are quite affordable, so if you make a mistake and are shy about returning stuff, you'll only be out $20 - $30. (And the local SA/Goodwill will thank you) The end of season sales are wonderful. I got some dead-sexxxy summer sandals for $7 - $9 a pair about a month ago! :halloween:

Tamasina
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi noname,
I myself have gone to Zappos.com they are extremely nice and customer service is secound to none. When ever I buy new shoes I go to them they can be a bit pricey but they also have free shipping both ways. I dont mean to sound like an add but, they are a great place to go.
Thanks
Tina

Kaitlyn Michele
10-27-2006, 06:46 PM
i feel like i have to defend macy's a bit here..

i wasnt there so i cant ever say for sure but i have shopped at macy's dressed and not dressed and i can say there is no place i would rather shop...every salesperson has been very helpful

totally possible that you ran into a bad apple and i would honestly suggest you try again...

i dont think the never shop there again strategy is very helpful unless something bad happens 2 or 3 times