PDA

View Full Version : Glasses and gender

kittybunny
01-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Meow, I'm new here, so hi! I just had a random question about peoples thoughts regarding glasses and gender. It seems it's pretty noticible if a guy is wearing womens frames on glasses. Is it as noticible when a girl wears guys frames, or is this just another area of fashion where girls can wear whatever they want? :-p Just curious. I just had my first pair of prescription glasses made, and so this is the first time I've really paid attention to the difference in shapes and stuff between girls and dudes glasses.

Thanks!

Ashleigh
01-06-2005, 05:08 PM
Welcome KittyBunny to the sisterhood. Neat place you found. I haven't really taken too much notice since I am in denial about my eyesight (if you're in denial, it's not happening to you). Used to have 20/15 vision, now I play a lot of "trombone" with my books and papers. Looking forward to reading more about you.

StephanieCD
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I've paid some attention to it...

I think a lot of what makes women's frames noticable is the color, you know? If I were to get frames to dress in I'd pick a woman's pair I liked and say "something like this" and see what men's version they found for me.

Vallari
01-06-2005, 05:26 PM
I only own a pair of guy glasses right now. I have to wear them when both en-drab and en femme most of the time :(. I have thought about getting femme-frames, but I have been leaning more towards contact lenses lately.

Personally, I think the situation is the same with glasses as it is for clothing with men and women. Men wear mens glasses, while women can wear either womens or mens and nobody bats an eyelash. Thats just me though. :o

Julie
01-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Many frames these days are unisex anyways so unless you really want a femine frame there shouldn't be a problem.

JJ

KayleighTV_UK
01-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Personally, I think the situation is the same with glasses as it is for clothing with men and women. Men wear mens glasses, while women can wear either womens or mens and nobody bats an eyelash. Thats just me though. :o

Sorry to change the course of the thead.. but i havent heard such a true statment in ages..

Why is it women CD all the time and get away with it? yet we are often frowned apon?? sorry, dont answer, just ranting..

Kay.

Oh, and my ex wore mens frames.. if that helps.. i think its all down to colour? had to say something to keep the thread going without hijacking it!

CharlotteSomers
01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
I wear glasses that are technically mens frames, but I think they also look good as womens frames. You can see them in any of the pictures I've posted on here in the various threads.

I too had thought about getting contacts, but I honestly think I look better as a guy or a girl with the frames I have now.

Sara Kat
01-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forums Kitty! :)

*pats*

DonnaT
01-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum Kitty

Many frames are unisex. Especially the oval ones.

Look at http://www.framesdirect.com/

http://www.framesdirect.com/CommonImages/product_ads/generic_p.jpg

Julie York
01-06-2005, 06:53 PM
In The Uk anyway, there is a new look (you should have gone to Specsavers!) which is very unisex, all small frames, very thin wire type, slightly oval.. The frames are put out in male female racks but if you look there isn't much between them. Bet you could think of a fem frame you wanted and find something near in the male section anyway. I have glasses that are pretty much male looking but would make a great sexy secretary look(ok so I tried it out ok! CV available. Employer must provide sexy outfit.)

racquel
01-06-2005, 07:19 PM
Welcome to the forum Kittybunny.
I have often thought about getting a pair of feminine glasses (frames) with just clear glass so as to further disguise my features from those(work related)people who know me.
I have exellent eyesight so anybody who knows me would not expect to see me in glasses. ;)

Georgette
01-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Many frames these days are unisex anyways so unless you really want a femine frame there shouldn't be a problem.

JJ
yes you said what I was going to say my wifes and my frames are identical and there is really no difference any more unless you want yours with decorative jewlery on them such as some diamonds or your birth stone.

Amelie
01-06-2005, 07:23 PM
Hello Kitty,,Are you a Kitty-Goth? Lol

These glasses are unisex.

jhnjks
01-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Glasses are not optional for the majority of us, however there are many "unisex" (hate that word frames available. Go for the ones that flatter your features and don't worry about it.

Love All

sonora
01-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I love this thread because it makes me think of Ashleigh Banfield!

kittybunny
01-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the responses, I hadn't really thought about the differences in color, though to be honest, I mostly picked mine based on color of the frames. I found a nice green/gold in guys frames that goes well with my hair ^^; .

Amelie> Occasionally I dress goth. I like to go for an androgynous look, which goths are very accepting of :-p

Ashleigh> Interestingly enough, my vision was last tested at 20/13 by an opthamologist(sp?) a year ago. But, I'm still farsighted, and she didn't help to treat this. I used a pair of cheap light reading glasses (1.5x rating) for the past year, before I got this prescription from a different doctor. So maybe just a cheap pair of cheaters would help? :-p

Wendy me
01-07-2005, 09:35 AM
as far as sun glasses we make "him" wear girls no one has ever said any thing

Sharon
01-07-2005, 10:52 AM
I need to wear glasses 24 hours or else I couldn't find my way off the chair. My glasses were called unisex when I bought them, but to me they look more masculine than feminine. The next time I buy some though, I'll get a pair of each.