PDA

View Full Version : some things you've learned

Kaitlyn Michele
10-27-2006, 09:47 PM
in the spirit of knowing everytrick of the trade!!! here are some of mine...maybe these are basic but i never thought of them until recently

1.--if you desperately want to pass, but its just not possible for you..wait for a rainy day...make sure you have a femme coat, a purse, a wig, some cool boots and a cute umbrella...then get out there and shake your fanny...you are guaranteed to pass!!!!

2.-- like makeup? have you noticed that all the supermarkets are getting self checkout? you can get pantyhose, makeup, remover, lotions, press on nails...and check out yourself...try it !!!

3.-- wig not fitting ?? have you tried a wig cap...i dressed for 20+ yrs before i ever knew that i could use a wig cap over my hair and little tape to keep it in place and the wig seems to stick to the hairnet like magic!!!

4.--clear base coat for your nails!!! do you want to spend 2 minutes or a half hour cleaning off your polish??? i never knew this until this year!!! polish on your nails can stain and doesnt always come off easily...UNLESS you put a base coat on underneath!! this one i wonder about maybe its the type of nail polish i've been using but it works for me!!

anyway...those are just a couple thoughts ....who else has some great tips??

windycissy
10-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Those are wonderful pointers! I have shared some more on my Internet advice column, Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy). Example: want to have silky legs but you can't shave? Wear a pair of white opaque tights followed by a pair of flesh-colored opaque tights, and when you put on a pair of sheer pantyhose or stockings your legs look like you have shaved legs with nylons. Try it!

Cristi
10-27-2006, 09:53 PM
RE: number 1
In New England, a very cold Winter day works just as well or even better! My first 'stealth' walks outside were in the most bitter cold days of January in a heavy skirt and tights. Nobody could see the shape of my torso under a puffy parka, or even my face under a scarf covering the lower part of my face, hood and glasses! I walked down icy sidewalks inches from other pedestrians with them none the wiser! I always knew Winter had to be good for SOMETHING!

Faye Emmette
10-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Visiting a special someone a fair distance from home and can't be caught?

Get dressed up til the hair piece, makeup and shoes.
Put on a pair of loose track suit pants and top, zipped up 3/4.
Suitcase ( or backpack if, like me sometimes, on your motorcycle) the above items and then only spend minimal time preparing once there.
I used to visit a woman 13km (8 miles) away and had great delight stopping at the drive-through store on the way and pick up a few cans of 'Jim' for her.

Melora
10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Big Tunick sweaters of the right knit are Very hiding And Feminine too, and Kinda exciting too!

Angela Burke
10-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Be very carefuil when walking downstairs in heels!

Sharon
10-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Be very carefuil when walking downstairs in heels!

And upstairs in a mini skirt! :p

Kaitlyn Michele
10-27-2006, 11:27 PM
those are all good ones....when i dont shave my legs i need a 3rd pair of hose to block out the hair...it really works!!

Billijo49504
10-27-2006, 11:45 PM
And keep away from groups of teen aged girls in the mall. They can make us in a heart beat...BJ

Angela Burke
10-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Oh I don't know.
As long as you're wearing knickers!

Tracy_Victoria
10-28-2006, 03:02 AM
I'm not so sure about number 1. I was once out shopping (in drab) and saw this in practice. ie boots thick stockings, thick coat, blonde wig. I made her as a TV in seconds because of her actions and mannerism. (okay it may have been because I was from the same side of the fence as her) but I'm sure she was read by others too.

Sorry to part bust the bubble, but best to be sure, and safe over taking a chance.

As for my best tip, read stage craft books, learn to play your role on a 360 degree stage. Also learning to use make up for more than just beauty is a major benefit. ie there are lots of ways to enhance and change your looks. makeup, contact lenses, wigs, padding, and lots more.

LindaG
10-28-2006, 05:02 AM
number one about a rainy day great Idea never thought of that. I can't pass

numbef 2 I did that yesterday. but I am marriied if I do not go to the selfcheck outthe cashier should see my wedding ring. and as far as buying womens cloths I went to fredwicks Thursday to buy a couple of Bras. I think it was the Manager that helped me. I now think if they want to make a sale. It will not matter who you are or what you are wearing. and that includes those so sexy shoes. I am going to get myself for a Chirstmas present

Kate Simmons
10-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Most of the "tricks" I've learned since being out as Ericka have very little to do with crossdressing, although I've made some discoveries in that respect as well (most of them come from practice and trial and error). The best things I've learned has been from my interpersonal relationships with other people as Ericka and how that relates to my overall self.:happy: Ericka/Rich

myMichelle
10-28-2006, 06:15 AM

Oh, My God: I wore a mini skirt to a mall once and there were these two young guys hanging around, trying to look up the Ladies skirts...I know they looked up mine, and I hope they got the surprise of a lifetime! LMAO:tongueout

Kaitlyn Michele
10-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Tracy- i hear you but i hope that lass was shaking her fanny as directed!!

you gotta still play the part or i agree you will get read for sure ..

Gisele
10-28-2006, 12:00 PM
3 from me

1. Don't over dress to where you are going. I.E. WalMart - Jeans and a fem shirt. NO sunday dresses and high heels (unless it's Sunday:p ) I work at a WalMart and I LOOK hard at the GG's. The one thing that I notice is who is dressed up and who isn't. Nearly all GG's that I see are not dressed for a "night out on the town" when shopping. I have seen a few CD's in the store and they go over board and it's a dead give away.

2. Act like you belong where ever you are. Don't let them know your nervous. It makes people take a 2nd look.

3. If you don't have the face to pass well, do what I do. Make the men and women look elsewhere as you pass by. Hince the chest! Bigger is sometimes the saving grace for us. As it is now for me. I went from a size 4 form to a 9. I was a 32 small D now a nice 32DD. I love the look and it is a tad large for my frame. But, hey I have seen MANY GG's with "nice ones" that were not Gods gift to them but some DR's. To tell you the truth I couldn't tell you what they looked like but I could describe them from the neck down like it was burned into my brain!:D

That is a few tips from Beth's corner

Cristi
10-28-2006, 12:43 PM

I haven't gotten a feel for this yet. GGs have some sense about the length of their skirt and when they should be worried about getting exposed somehow (stairways, bending over, getting in and out of cars, etc). I don't have that 'sense' yet and don't really know when going up a set of stairs if I am giving everybody below me a free show or not!

I do know that what I consider 'short' on me, things that make me a bit nervous on stairs at the mall, might be considered almost conservative by others' standards. Once things get a few inches above my knees, I just get the feeling that I have to think about my situation every second.

This is actually one reason why I think GGs don't wear skirts as often as they might otherwise. If you are in a skirt that is on the short side, you have to be constantly aware of how you are sitting, standing, what angles of view other people might be getting on stairs, how to be 'modest' when getting out of a the car, what a stray gust of wind might do, etc.

While we CDs get a certain thrill out of it, it just adds one more 'stress' for a GG that can easily be avoided by just wearing jeans unless they have a special reason to dress up!

Jodi
10-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Things I've learned for the best presentability while in public.
Learn what makeup is best for you then practice. This requires a professional makeover. Let the expert tell you what you need and how to do it.

gg's notice a girl,s hair. Get a good wig that is professionally fitted to you by a professional. THen learn how to style it for you.

Wear shoes that are appropriate for the outfit that you are wearing. GG's love their shoes and always appreciate shoes that enhance an outfit.

Spend a little more on a purse and carry a great bag that is coordinated to your outfit. GG's love their bags.

Walk with a tall, confident posture.

Be confident--learn to smile. GG's smile at one another when they pass. Even strangers do this.

Jodi

Butterfly Bill
10-28-2006, 09:55 PM
If you are thinking of visiting a museum while wearing a dress, and you see 30 school busses parked outside, don't do it

Billijo49504
10-29-2006, 02:28 AM
As others have said, don't over dress for where you are going. Of all the ppl at the mall, most are wearing slacks of one form or another. Most are jeans. Carry a purse, show me a woman that doesn't have one, she forgot it some where. Have your male wallet in your purse, along with a cell phone some makeup and the small pack of Kleenex. And of course your keys and the bucks to shop, in your wallet.....BJ

Deenise60
10-29-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks for all the great tips. Now all I have to do is get the nerve to venture out.

Kenix
10-29-2006, 09:08 AM
2.-- like makeup? have you noticed that all the supermarkets are getting self checkout? you can get pantyhose, makeup, remover, lotions, press on nails...and check out yourself...try it !!!

I used that once and it didn't go the way I really wanted. The nail polish didn't scan and I have to ask for help. While that is happening I have a line behind me.

The self checkout lines aren't monitored, it's only gives the impression that you are buying things in private.

Robin Leigh
10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
The thing about going out in the rain is that the umbrella allows you to avoid unwanted eye contact or views of your entire head. :) It also makes a handy weapon. :heehee:

The multiple hose on unshaven legs idea also works with fishnets, which also create a bit of an optical illusion to hide hair, if it's not too long.

Don't wear high heels in a rough area unless you can run in them... :heehee:

If you have a wig that is loose, learn how to put it on & adjust it without a mirror. And always wear a wig cap under your wig, even if it's only a bit of old stocking.

Always carry a mirror. See above. :)

You can cover your Adam's Apple with a scarf or high collar, but why bother? If someone's looking closely at your Adam's Apple, they will probably also notice your chin, or read you some other way. :)

If you can't do a very convincing femme voice, try saying every statement as if it were a question. Our male resonance is usually quite strong at the end of a statement, but saying the sentence as a question makes the tone rise towards the end, helping to prevent that unwanted masculine reverberation.

And now for a few nailpolish hints.

You can reduce the drying speed of standard nailpolish by washing your nails in cold water. Nailpolish solvents disolve better in cold water than hot (due to their high volatility & low solubility), so use icewater if practical. Let your nails dry a bit first before you try this trick, or the polish will absorb a little water, which will interfere with the setting process.

Never dilute thick nailpolish with remover because it contains water and oil.

Nail polish solvents are not nice, in fact they tend to be carcinogenic, so it's a very good idea to apply & remove nailpolish in a well-ventillated place. That being said, the body is capable of getting rid of these chemicals in small quantities, so there's no reason to panic. Just don't do your nails in a small room with closed windows.

After that bit of advice, my next little trick may only appeal to the daredevils. :devil:
Minor dents in fresh nailpolish may be repaired by using your tongue. Do the job quickly and rinse your mouth (and nail) immediately after! I do believe this technique is safe. You won't absorb much through your mouth, probably less than what you get from the fumes, which you can't really avoid breathing to some degree, unless you've got very good ventillation.

Robin

Kaitlyn Michele
10-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Robin !! excellent tips!! and yes the umbrella was my first ever protection i will never forget it ...just after college...it was lightly snowing...i had boots, a coat, a wrap scarf (no wig) and a flower umbrella..i walked around until my feet froze !!!

as far as the self checkout..i hear you kenix, there is some risk of that..and its happened to me but part of what i am saying is to just do it!!! at least you have the chance of getting it thru without some nosy salesperson..

i bought 4 lipsticks and nail polish plus remover at stop/shop and the "helpful" saleslady came over and packed my bags..oh well...its all good!

Sally24
10-29-2006, 05:01 PM
1. Buy lots of mirrors......you need to move the hips right to pass at all. Practice "the walk" until you can do it anywhere, anytime. Then practice some more. It's worth it to give you the confidence you need.

2. We can't all be a size 8, but we can be in better shape. Lose the extra 20 lbs around the waist (or 30). Just a little weight loss can make a big difference in you silhouette.

3. Try to wear slacks/jeans sometimes. If you want to act like a GG, or appear like a GG, or feel like a GG, then at least jeans are required. Slacks of the right type and fit can be sexy too!

4. Find a group, or a friend, or someone to help. Going it alone is infinitely harder than with even a little help from someone else. There are many clubs and groups now where you can find some assistance. If not, then pay for it at one of the makeover or style experts.

5. Relax and find some way to make this a part of you that isn't stressful. I know it's easy to overthink this and make it just another problem in your life. It isn't neccesarily so.....

6. Like we say in Boy Scouts, "If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong". If this is a compulsion you can't fight, then don't fight it. Enjoy it. Make it yours. Make it an event. This is your life, enjoy every part of it that you can.

Good Luck!

Sally

Julie York
10-29-2006, 05:45 PM
If you are thinking of visiting a museum while wearing a dress, and you see 30 school busses parked outside, don't do it

lol

I wouldn't do that in ANY mode!

Tip: When you do a spectacular high heel wobble....grab your knee and look accusingly at the ground.

:D