PDA

View Full Version : Choosing an age appropriate femme name.

joanne_mi
10-29-2006, 09:55 AM
Has anyone figured in popular/trendy girl's names for their respective age group when choosing a femme name? I was sort of thinking about this today in a moment of silliness, and I thought it would be fun to discuss.

For me, I did not. "Joanne" is a generation or so behind me. I liked the name (Remember Joanne Woodward on the "Gong Show"?),still, I suppose it's better than "Maude", or "Blanche", or "Esther" though. Maybe femme names one would never use would be another good post?

If I were to go on popular names for my age group, I'd have been a "Julie", or "Heather", or "Tiffany", or "Amy".

Any thoughts?

Amy Hepker
10-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Joanne, It took me quite a while to come up with a good one. My exwife gave me the name Joelyn, But I didn't like that one. I was thinking about Jane or (Joan), I asked my mom what see would've called me if I was born Female and she said she did not remember, but she said Anne. I finally decided on Amy, Why, I don't know, I guess I just like the sound of it. ((AMY))!!!!

Krystenw
10-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I just use the name that was on my birth certificate. It was supposed to be Christian but It was spelled wrong.
Although after years of therapy I'm not so sure my mother didn't spell it wrong on purpose. She called me Kristie until I started the first grade. How was I to know Kristie was a girls name.
Hey, I like the name Joanne.

Kate Simmons
10-29-2006, 10:30 AM
Never thought too much about it, Hon. (I'm lying, I have two notebook pages with potential femme names.) I started out with Heather years ago. When I came "out" in 2001, I picked the name Victoria. Last year, I settled into Ericka. The name Arianna came to mind also, as it's the name of my inner, higher self. I think the previous names are appropriate for any age though.:happy: Ericka/Rich

tall_brianna
10-29-2006, 10:45 AM
I just took the feminine version of my name. (I don't like my name.) The having a second name thing actually kinda bothers me but that's another thread.

Angie G
10-29-2006, 10:55 AM
I've known 3 GG's named joanne all sexy and lovely girls and I've alway liked the name :hugs:
Angie

MJ
10-29-2006, 10:59 AM
i like mj but there was a Mary Jane that i knew and so i did not want her to think i took her name. and it just wasn't me. so i became Marissa Jennifer.. my friends call me mj and thats what i wanted all along...

Janet99cd
10-29-2006, 11:58 AM
I just love the sound of Janet.

Cristi
10-29-2006, 12:23 PM
You are going to LOVE this website. It lets you see the popularity of different names over the past century. Just start typing a name and it will graph it and all its variations:

http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Cristina was ranked 548 per 1M in the 1960s, when I was born :)

Joanne peaked in the late 1920s at number 54/1M then fell off pretty quickly. It is fun to look up names of famous people and to see 'spikes' of people naming their children the same thing.

My parents weren't very creative... my male name pretty much peaked the year I was born then slowly faded away.

Vash
10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Joannie,not that I want to nit-pick but Joanne Woodward is an Academy Award winning actress. The Joanne you are thinking of is Jo Anne Worley. Still I like the name.Some names are timeless like Joanne,Mary,Elizibeth. Then there are names that "date" you Farrah, Tiffany and Brittany. My name is probably not a real world name but I bet it will be very popular in the 24 century

joanne_mi
10-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Joannie,not that I want to nit-pick but Joanne Woodward is an Academy Award winning actress. The Joanne you are thinking of is Jo Anne Worley. Still I like the name.Some names are timeless like Joanne,Mary,Elizibeth. Then there are names that "date" you Farrah, Tiffany and Brittany. My name is probably not a real world name but I bet it will be very popular in the 24 century

Oops, I stand corrected. The girl from The Gong Show was funny though. :D

LindaG
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
I took the name my parents were going to call me if I was born a girl either
opal or olive I have a sister lois marie and nancy next up the letter O hence Olive,

Hugs my sister

princessmichelle
10-29-2006, 03:57 PM
I tried the baby name website. I may have found a new name for myself! Michelle is a bit too common and the "Princess" part doesn't match my personality.

Stay tuned.

:hugs:

Michelle

trannie T
10-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Choosing a name is harder than picking out a dress or deciding which panties to wear. I used several criteria. I did not want to use the name of a friend or relative. I wanted a name appropriate to my age, no "Blanche", no "Brittany". I wanted a name that was not a variation on a man's name. I finally chose "Judy" in honor of my fourth grade teacher who died way too young.

thea
10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Cristi, thanks for that web link. I found that my name ranks 999 for the decade of my birth, a wonderful place to be! My male name was 22 for the same decade. The femme name I used before Thea hit its peak in the 1960s, too late for me, and I don't come from a family ahead of any trends, so that reinforces the feeling that Thea fits me.

Diane CDN
10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I chose Diane for a few reasons....
First, it was a name given to many newborns at the time I was born.
Second, it was a name that didn't sound like a male equivelent....unlike Lori/Laurie, bob/bobbie michelle/michel etc etc ...
My last name was picked based on someone I adored at a younger age.

Diane

Sweet Jane
10-29-2006, 07:03 PM
I never think of myself in terms of a feminine name...I picked Sweet Jane for this forum, simply because I love Lou Reed, and I think the day I joined, I had just been playing the song Sweet Jane on my guitar....In saying that, I don't mind Jane....

Teresa Amina
10-29-2006, 07:17 PM
http://babynamewizard.com/namevoyager/lnv0105.html

Very cool! It seems Teresa was on the increase though the 1950s (when I was born) and peaked in the 1960s so it fits age wise as well.

Olivia Anderson
10-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Ive picked Olivia because it was the name of a good freind of mine back in high school. I tought she had a beautifull name. She moved away and never called me back afterwards. I hope i have a call from her soon!

Amelia Coffey
10-29-2006, 09:10 PM
I picked Amelia because Amelia Earheart was someone I admired and the fact that we were both born in the same town... a few years apart, I might add. Coffey was my mother's maiden name. Not sure if Amy is a common nick name for Amelia or not, but that's how I choose to use it.

Amy

alysonatl
11-01-2006, 01:05 PM
I wanted a name close to my male name, but unmistakeably feminine. There was a girl I went to college with named Alison. We were friends, and I was jealous of her in many ways, since she was the girl I wanted to be. So, I chose her name to honor her, and since we were the same age, would be appropriate for a female born in my birthyear. I spelled it differently to be a little unique.

Melinda Lou
11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Mine is nowhere near my "guy" name, but I knew a cute girl named Melinda in grade school, so I guess it's appropriate. For my age (37) you would probably see a ton of Michelles and Jennifers. I guess in 10-15 years when today's young CDers are old enough to post on this or whatever forum is around then, you'll see a bumper crop of Caitlins and Brittanys.