PDA

View Full Version : Traveling with Carry-On & Airport Security

Celine_kaye
10-29-2006, 11:30 AM
I travel frequently for business, and I used to take a suitcase FULL of my clothes and makeup and wig in order to spend endless evenings with my best friend (feminine me :)). More recently I've started traveling lighter (carry-on only).

I'm afraid to pack an outfit or two, pumps, and my wig, for fear of embarassment.

I mean...I know there's no law against crossdressing, but what if some jerk looks in my bag, and pulls my wig out and asks questions in front of other people?

Sam-antha
10-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Then, you know he is a jerk.
Also, you do not know the other people.
So...

tall_brianna
10-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Not trying to make light of it but did you ever see the movie Blow? The scene where Johnny Depp has a suitcase full of cocaine and risque female articles of clothing. Priceless! Just take his queue, "Hey, old habits you know" :D

tall_brianna
10-29-2006, 11:44 AM
oh yeah, whatever you do, DO NOT use a line like, "I'm carrying it on for my gf/wife who's behind me." Huge mistake - think of the security questions you answered at checkin.

Cristi
10-29-2006, 12:03 PM
I was traveling on business once before I realized that you couldn't leave a laptop in your caryon luggage (or when the rule was new). I was pulled over at the luggage scanner while a security person rummaged through my bag by hand to confirm that there was nothing dangerous in it.

I wasn't planning on doing any full dressing on the trip, but I did have a nighty for sleep, a rayon floral dress for lounging in the hotel room in the evening, some bras and panties and several pairs of pantyhose, ALL of which suddenly must have migrated to the top of the bag, since as I watched I saw him moving them all around as he dug for the laptop at the bottom of the bag. I guess I'm just glad I didn't bring my breastforms. I can just picture him holding one up for all to see while asking "What is this made out of"?

The thing that I am forever thankful for is that the man I was travelling with to the conference wasn't standing beside me during this! He had continued on without realizing that I had been delayed and we met up a few minutes later.

I used to wear pantyhose or tights while flying, and once (before all these more intrusive security checks) even a bra, but not any more since you might have to take off shoes at the gate and even the smallest blip on the scanner can trigger a manual search :(

Sam-antha
10-29-2006, 12:09 PM
To quote an old Scottish verse (Anglicised):

"Freedom is a noble thing

Freedom makes man to have pleasure.....
If freedom fails, love for liberty
is yearned for over all things."

Thank you Bush

~Samm

trannie T
10-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Look them in the eye and say, "Those clothes are mine." Just don't wear an underwire bra, if the metal detector is set very high it will go off.

ColleenCD
10-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Trannie T is right, Look them square in the eye and tell them the truth. The pain of embarrasment will end sson enough. Don't prolong it by peaking their suspicions with a cover lie.

Colleen

Jillian_Faith
10-29-2006, 07:34 PM
I fly somewhat often and have for many years. I have had my carry-on baggage inspected several times. I sometimes check baggage and have also have had my checked baggage inspected a couple of times. They leave a little calling card in the suitcase letting you know they inspected it. Every tine I have had my carry-on inspected I have had a mixture of male and fem clothing and accessories in the carry-on. So far I haven’t had any problems as far as I am concerned. I just let the inspector look through the bag, don’t get nervous, and politely answer any questions honestly. I have never been questioned on why I had fem clothing or accessories in the bag.

The first time I was inspected was several years ago and the stuff in the carry-on was just packed in a haphazard manner so the inspector really picked through everything but did not make any comments. After that I learned to pack in what I call an “inspection friendly manner”. I only bring clothing male and fem that can be folded neatly in the carry-on. I found that if I pack my fem clothing neatly on the bottom of the carry-on and put any thing that contains items that may be of interest like toiletry items M and F in a toiletry bag on the top. Since then the inspections have gone like a breeze. The inspector looks through the bag easily and I am through in minimal time and inconvenience.

A couple of other thing I found that work for me it to pack clothing that is unisex like a turtle neck sweater that I can wear as male or fem. Or I pack a fem polo top that most anyone looking in the bag would not notice the button on the opposite side. A jean skirt folded looks very much the same as a pair of shorts. I fold my intimate things and put them in a laundry bag with my male underwear. I have never had an inspector open the laundry bag of clothing. You get the idea… It is kind of like going out dressed I have found if I dress conservatively it is so much easier to pass because I am drawing minimal attention.

If I decide I want to take something more obviously fem, or I feel could really embarrass me during an inspection, I just plan on checking the bag. I have had bags with lots of fem stuff in it inspected after it was checked a couple of times. I really don’t know what the inspector thought as they inspected the bag or do I really care. So far no taunting remarks on the card they left in the bag. I suspect they are more concerned in finding something that is a real issue to be concerned about the gender of the clothing or accessories in the bag. Not only that I bet you would be surprised what they come across that would make my stuff look tame.

Another issue is that I wear fem underclothing and many time unisex tops when I fly and have never had an issue with that either. If I were ever to get in a position where they wanted to probe that deep they are required to take you to a private screening area and I would not have a problem with that. Again I suspect it would not be something they have never encountered before.

So much for my ramblings. :2c: :2c: :2c::2c: Hope they help.

StephanieD
10-29-2006, 11:44 PM
If you're carrying alot of thongs and panties in your suitcase, you can say that you girlfriend flew on an earlier flight and that you were helping her transport her unmentionables. Otherwise, to make a long story short, say that they are yours and they will not believe you and figure you just want to get through security as quickly as possible.

x_girl
10-30-2006, 01:50 AM
Even though it's a hassle, I just check my bags.

Katelyn GG
10-30-2006, 02:31 AM
I travel frequently for business, and I used to take a suitcase FULL of my clothes and makeup and wig in order to spend endless evenings with my best friend (feminine me :)). More recently I've started traveling lighter (carry-on only).

I'm afraid to pack an outfit or two, pumps, and my wig, for fear of embarassment.

I mean...I know there's no law against crossdressing, but what if some jerk looks in my bag, and pulls my wig out and asks questions in front of other people?

Should it matter if you are happy with what is in the bag?

JeanneF
10-31-2006, 10:57 PM
Unless you have a friend that works for the TSA at your local airport, I wouldn't stress it. Just be honest if your bags are opened for inspection. When I fly with femme stuff, I check my baggage, mainly because I figure my breastforms might raise some eyebrows in the x-ray machine. I figure that the minor embarassment if I have to explain the contents of my luggage are worth it for the fun of going out in a new city.

DonnaT
11-01-2006, 09:25 AM
With some of the current restrictions, it would seem to be better if one checked their luggage instead of carrying on. Liquid items can't be carried on.

My wife went to Houston yesterday, and they confiscated her mascara.

JeanJeanie
11-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Yes I know what u mean hun
Think I will have to put my bag in the hold now
Jean xxx

JoAnnDallas
11-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Wife and I went to Fla last week. The new rule is all comestic items MUST be 3 oz. or less and ALL must fit in a QUART size clear plastic baggy. I found that they are more interested in the baggy than what is in the rest of the carry on. As been said, pack "Inspection Friendly". Medicenes can be in another baggy.

I was stopped and had my carry on searched because I forgot to put my Olay ferming gel in the baggy. The TSA agent asked me to put in the baggy and that was it.
Remember ALL carry on is X-Rayed, so TSA WILL know what is in it. If it is fem, that don't care as long as you follow the rules.

Sky
11-01-2006, 12:06 PM
There's nothing to be afraid of. Unless, like it happened to me on my last flight, you get busted for "reverse crossdressing". No, really!

I was in drab, but since I had a little extra time before the flight I stopped by a Payless and bought a pair of slide on mules. Just for the fun of walking in them, downtown and then in the airport. But I had to put my muddy, steel toe clad construction boots and socks in a plastic bag and into my carry on backpack. In the X ray line, when my backpack went through, they brought me to the "interrogation chairs", opened it, took a hard look at the boots and asked me why was I carrying them in a backpack. I simply said "they're dirty". Once they were convinced they didn't have a double sole or anything hidden in it, they let me out. I put on my heels in front of them and they didn't even flinch. All they wanted to do was to make sure my male boots were not dangerous.

Jaydee
11-01-2006, 12:18 PM
Don't worry too much. I travel a lot by air, almost always with at least some femme stuff. I put the femme stuff descretely towards the bottom. High heel shoes can be seen on the x-ray machine by the steel shank in the sole. One TSA guy asked me if I had high heel shoes in my bag. I admitted I did, this time because my wife really was travelling with me and she never has enough room in her bag. I always wind up carrying some of her stuff.

Jaydee

StayceeCD
11-01-2006, 12:42 PM
I'm flying constantly for work and always check my girly things. Even if they inspect your bags, they don't see you, you don't see them. No embarrasment, no problem!:happy: