PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security

mskilmer
10-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm considering travelling soon and was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with airport security, travelling en femme. Is it allowed in the U.S.?

KateW
10-29-2006, 07:55 PM
This hasn't personally happened to me, but one thing you may want to take into consideration is that bras can sometimes set off the metal detector at airport security. My wife had this happen, and was consequently frisked and had a separate metal detecting wand moved all over her. I'm sure this won't be a problem but just thought I'd mention it so you don't get a suprise.

EricaCD
10-29-2006, 10:25 PM
In addition, if you are wearing silicone breastforms the insides consist of one of the "gels" they are looking for. Now, the TSA website makes clear that one of the few permitted gels on board aircraft (outside the few ounces now allowed in personal luggage) are, believe it or not, those used in medical prostheses...so theoretically breast forms are ok. But do you REALLY want to be having that conversation with the nice people at TSA? After all, not all of them seem to be fully up-to-date on the "what's ok / what's not" topic. And it's not like they have a particularly understanding streak to them...

Do you really want to be wanded down when an underwire sets off the metal detector? Do you really want to be explaining why your presented gender does not match the gender reflected on your driver's license - each of the 3 or 4 times they check you license?

If you are actually transgendered or transexual, then I suppose you grit your teeth and get through it because that is who you are. (And you have my sympathy.) If you are a CD, I'd suggest that this is one of those fem thrills that's probably not worth the effort.

Erica

Stephenie S
10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
With the increased security measures in place now, I should think it would be a good idea to travel in a gender that matches your identification. Were I to do this I would try and appear as androgenous as possible to reduce questions at security. You have to show your photo ID several times when you travel by air. And I supose you have to be able to show good ID when you travel anywhere by any means.

Scotty
10-29-2006, 10:33 PM
The first time after 9/11 that I flew I ab out panicked when the buzzer went off, they ended up using the wand on me and low and behold it buzzed on my naval, had my pink stud in and it set it off. That ws the only time it ever did in any airport though.....luckily in seattle and not Yuma AZ where it's a tiny airport...

Never went en-femme as I haven't really been out in public yet.....

JennMW
10-29-2006, 10:48 PM
The official stance is posted at

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/screening/index.shtm

StephanieD
10-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Leave your high heels in your luggage. Look at the screener to see if they match the heels to you. Otherwise, I think it is best to appear as a male to match your driver's license.

MJ
10-29-2006, 11:39 PM
ok here is my :2c: worth the bottom line here is if you are not a ts and have no documnts to prove why you are en fem. you might get your self into trouble so if your passport showes you has a male you should travel in drab untill tou get there.. just in case

Joni Beauman
10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
I have to urge attention to MJ's advice if entering the U.S. I have worried about packed clothing getting inspected to and from but so far no confrontations in that regard. But a passport conflicting with gender appearance would have a good potential to lead to some difficulties. Joni

Bernice
11-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Hot button issue for me!

TSA "standards" do not apply in your defense when overzealous armed bureaucrats want to score points for stupidity.

My advice is to only fly in an airplane that you are piloting yourself (licensed, or as a student). Boycott ALL the airlines unless/until the government comes to it's senses.

See this for example: http://paxnortona.notfrisco2.com/?p=4390

The only good airport security guard is an unemployed security guard. More than 50% of guns still get through, while Governor Joe Foss had his Congressional medal of honor confiscated. Now even prayer is banned at airports. There is no limit to their stupidity!

I will boycott all airlines until flight deck officers are all armed, and Federal Air Marshals are allowed to go undercover, and consititutional guarantees are properly restored to airports.

Those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither.

natasha
11-03-2006, 12:14 AM
Appropriate or not for this thread, but any time I think I might have to go through a metal detector, I make sure I take my toe rings off!!!

DonnaT
11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I've know several TGed persons who have traveled in the US and abroad, enfemme. Most times they've had no problems, as long as all the other rules are followed. You only need to tell the screener your transgendered.

Although there are no prohibitions to dressing opposite to the gender on your ID, not all the screeners are aware of that. Then things can get dicey.

Personally, I find it uncomfortable enough as it is, and dressing enfemme on a crowded plane simply wouldn't be worth the effort.

Karren H
11-03-2006, 11:26 AM
I'd say go for it!!! And take your camera!! Then report back to us when you get back from your trip (or get out of jail). Hehehe. Which ever comes sooner!!!

Love Karren

JoAnnDallas
11-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Sometime ago, my sister and mother took a flight to visit my sister's daughter and her family. My mother could not walk very well without her cane, but the TSA agent insisted that she walk down the alise while she inspected her cane. My sister had a fit and made a seince. She inisted on talking to the Sr. offical. Once they calmed her down and understodd the problem, they all appolized to her and mother. They then treated them like VIP's and even made sure that they got to their gate on time.

Many times the TSA agents either forget about what they are their for or use their position as a power play. Even other passengers voiced their opition to the TSA agents. I have seen my sister's wrait and it is not pleasent. LOL

Just remember if you have a problem ask for the Senior Agent in charge. He/She can override the other Agents actions. But don't get nasty with them. My sister was concerned that mother might fall and that would have been a whole different ballgame. She was extremely angry and once the Senior Agent understood the problem, it was resolved quickly.

trannie T
11-03-2006, 09:57 PM
The TSA screeners are not the sharpest in the land. It is a crappy job and does not pay very well. If you travel dressed be prepared to be outed, questioned and delayed.

Rachel Morley
11-03-2006, 10:15 PM
I went on vacation from Sacramento to New York last year. Although I was wearing fairly girly clothes for a guy, I was also wearing my bra and panties. I had planned to remove my bra and put it in my carry on when I went through security. However, I forgot all about it and so here I am in the line for the metal detector arch with only two people in front of me and then I suddenly remembered (I swear I'm telling you the absolute truth here) I got all hot and nervous about the possibility of my bra setting off the machine. Although I wasn't wearing an underwire bra, I was still worried. Also I thought the obvious worried look on my face might cause suspicion and I might get stopped because of that! :worried:

Anyway, I just BS-ed myself and told myself that it didn't matter, and I'd explain that although I knew it was unusual, this was in fact my normal underwear. Thankfully the machine didn't go off but it was an experience I'll never forget, and needless to say, nowadays I always remember to not wear a bra when I fly :D

Unless it's really really important to you that you fly en femme, I'd advise to go in drab for the journey.

Debb
11-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I recently came back to the States from Argentina.

On both journeys (to Argentina and back to the States), I dressed in my favorite outfit, sans breastforms and bra, and nobody bothered me at all.

Who says we have to go all the way? I don't pass, and don't bother to try .. and I guess that makes a difference. If I wanted to pass, I'd have trouble *not* wearing the breastforms.

Courtney A Anderson
11-03-2006, 11:09 PM
Having a friend that works in airport security, They have seen it all.

Bernice
11-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Having a friend that works in airport security, They have seen it all.

Ahem, yes, I am sure they have. The problem is that they get paid to force you to let them see it all. That is just so wrong on so many levels. Yet even 8 year old girls have beeen groped by sick-minded TSA perverts protecting us from terrorists.

For what it's worth, it's never a good idea to wear synthetic fabrics (especially nylon hose) on an aircraft, because, as any former military pilot will tell you, in a fire it will melt and stick to you like napalm. Better choices are Cotton and Leather, regardless of you preferred gender expression.

And too, remember Sarah West, (try Google if you don't know her story, which began pre 9/11/01) and please boycott United Airlines if you must fly on an airline.