PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering

stefie22
10-30-2006, 12:05 AM
I always was told when I was younger that if you shaved that it would grow back thicker. I noticed that every year as I shave my legs that there is less hair to shave than the year before. That old wives tale must not always be true. I just wanted to know if anyone else had noticed the same thing.
Maybe it is just that my hair is falling out with age. But the hair on my head isn't.

GG Vanya
10-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Can't be true, at least in my case. I have a very strong Cherokee bloodline, and because of this I have minimal body hair.

The hair on my legs is like the hair on my arms, which you can only see in sunlight because it is so light and downy fine.

I've shaved my legs since the age of 13, and there has been no change. I literally can get away with leg shaving once every 2 weeks.

I think perhaps that saying refers to beard hair. While I'd have no way of knowing, I've heard that shaving causes beard hair to come back more coarse.

Satrana
10-30-2006, 02:42 AM
Shaving hair has no more impact that having a hair cut. There is absolutely no effect on hair growth. Hair follicles can start and stop growth of their own accord, usually linked to hormonal levels, sometimes medication. It might even just be your perception that has changed or maybe dark hairs are now white but not in sufficient numbers that this is obvious.

Kate Simmons
10-30-2006, 04:22 AM
I don't think it gets thicker but if you let it grow back, it's just as thick as ever. It may SEEM thick just because you had nothing there before. I can grow a full beard in about two weeks and the hair on my body makes me look like a "hairy beast" in no time flat if I let it grow.:happy: Ericka/Rich

Gurly
10-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Your hair growing back thicker after shaving is just one of those myths that people generally believe. Not true.

joanne_mi
10-30-2006, 09:38 AM
It just looks thicker because after shaving, the tip of the hair is flattened, rather than pointed.

Stephenie S
10-30-2006, 09:44 AM
So true, shaving has absolutely no effect on hair growth. This is perhaps more an "old mothers' tale" than an "old wives tale" because it is often used by mothers to discourage their daughters from starting to shave their legs at too young an age.

Lovies

Penny
10-30-2006, 10:02 AM
:iagree:
So true, shaving has absolutely no effect on hair growth. This is perhaps more an "old mothers' tale" than an "old wives tale" because it is often used by mothers to discourage their daughters from starting to shave their legs at too young an age.

Lovies

:iagree: The hair on the face grows at a faster rate than the rest of the body. In addition, if you have ever plucked a wisker, you will find that on certain parts of the face, it is grows about a quarter of an inch below the surface. Continual shaving only reaches that part that has surfaced allowing
that part below the surface to continually have strength and thickness giving a somewhat darker look to the areas that need to be shaved.
Usually, on a woman, the thickest hair per centimeter is the underarms thus
leaving a somewhat darker look when she shaves.

Karren H
10-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Well as I aged I notice that hair in different locations acts differently!! On my head - thinning, my face - thickening and getting coarser... Legs - can't tell because I shave and or keep them thinned, arms and back - thickening... So all I know for sure is.............getting old sucks!! Hehehe

Love Karren

Julie York
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
If your hair got thicker because of shaving....it logically follows most women in the world would have legs like a Yeti by the time they reached 40.

Hair is dead. It doesn't KNOW it's been cut.

shannonsilk
10-30-2006, 12:36 PM
absolutely right. thick versus pointed. as they grow out they get pointy from "wear."

trannie T
10-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Shaving making your beard grow is bull. But I do have these hairs growing from my palms.:devil: