PDA

View Full Version : subconscious choices ...

soccervixen
10-31-2006, 02:05 PM
I had a thought today, wondering what any of you think of this idea.

For years when I would travel (lived overseas, worked in journalism), I would always buy something for my wife, or several things. Many times it was Laura Ashley in the old days. When her friends saw what I got her, they always remarked that I had great taste in clothes. I just chalked it up to being observant of what she liked, what looked nice on her, what fit well with her body type.

Well, now that I am pursuing CD, the times I have been in her closet and played dress up, I have invariably come to clothes I picked out for her myself years ago - many skirts with elastic waist which are easy to wear, sweaters, some dress. These are the ones that fit me!

Now until very recently I did not have any interest in CD, this is something new in my life, and I certainly didn't have myself consciously in mind when picking out clothes for my wife in days gone by.

Did I have a femme sense of style which I otherwise didn't allow to develop, except for my wife? Was there something inner working which I didn't realize?

Yours for metaphysical conjecture ...

Annaliese
10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
I had a thought today, wondering what any of you think of this idea.

For years when I would travel (lived overseas, worked in journalism), I would always buy something for my wife, or several things. Many times it was Laura Ashley in the old days. When her friends saw what I got her, they always remarked that I had great taste in clothes. I just chalked it up to being observant of what she liked, what looked nice on her, what fit well with her body type.

Well, now that I am pursuing CD, the times I have been in her closet and played dress up, I have invariably come to clothes I picked out for her myself years ago - many skirts with elastic waist which are easy to wear, sweaters, some dress. These are the ones that fit me!

Now until very recently I did not have any interest in CD, this is something new in my life, and I certainly didn't have myself consciously in mind when picking out clothes for my wife in days gone by.

Did I have a femme sense of style which I otherwise didn't allow to develop, except for my wife? Was there something inner working which I didn't realize?

Yours for metaphysical conjecture ...

Like many of us, we try to keep in deep in side, some of us let it out sooner that later. It will always come out, at some point in time. I know a girl that start to dress at 80

sandra-leigh
11-01-2006, 04:36 AM

I was clothes-shopping for my wife for years before I had any thought of wearing any myself. I just turned out to have a good judgement of colour and style, and the ability and persistance to find the unusual but interesting. I first noticed it about 15 years ago, when my GF of the time asked me to bring her "some clothes" when I was headed to visit her (on a different continent): I picked out nice stuff and several people were amazed how well I'd done.

My own transition into dressing myself was triggered by a skirt I'd bought for my wife -- a chinese-fabric miniskirt. She wouldn't wear it (still hasn't worn it), and I recall thinking that it was too nice to go to waste, and by golly I was going to try it. I believe I had tried on an odd thing here or there of hers before that, but I remember squeezing into it and then thinking, "I could wear something like this!". I think within the next 2 days I had tried on almost everything she had that wasn't put away in storage :)

The items of hers that I like the best... hmmm, well, I covet one of her skirts that I did not buy her. But a lot of what I'd bought for her was not suitable for me -- e.g., wasn't long sleeve.

Except for my blouses, I pretty much have three classes of outerwear: relatively simple "passing" clothes, suitable for everyday kind of wear without attracting attention at all; prettier "look nice" wear; and some sexier or fancier "party wear". The "party wear" is the easiest to find; the "everyday blend-in" clothes can be the hardest to find! The "look nice" selection is my attractive and noticably feminine outfits, such as my velvet dresses -- styles which have become uncommon enough to be noticed, even though they aren't directly intended to sexy nor to convey "party" nor to convey "rich kid". My favorites are in my "look nice" collection; unfortunately, I don't find very many opportunities to wear them.

Thinking about it for a moment, I guess my "look nice" selections are the ones that make me feel most "feminine", as opposed to clothes that are there to make me look or feel "female". A mini-skirt, for example, doesn't make me feel feminine; a long dress is much more likely to accomplish that.

Relating back to your question: the clothes I bought for my wife weren't of the styles that make me feel most feminine, so, No, when it comes to what I like "best", I have a distinct taste for myself than for her. But she'd probably like some of my more "everyday" blouses.