PDA

View Full Version : Skirts

Sarah38b
01-07-2005, 08:58 PM
I was at the department store today in the ladies section looking at some pretty skirts. I thought about getting one but I didn't know my dress size. One skirt had number sizes like 14, 16, etc...and the other were sized as small, medium, large, etc....Too confusing.

Sarah

KayleighTV_UK
01-07-2005, 09:13 PM
Someone else would probably be better at this than me, but ill try to help best i can..

Whats your waist size? .. that will help..

Give you an idea, im a 32" and i wear a size 12, or a Medium.. but sometimes a small.. depending on how tight fitting it is...

Probably not a lot of help..

Kay

Sarah38b
01-07-2005, 09:24 PM
My jeans waist size is 38. I think UK sizings are different than US sizes too.

Sarah

Someone else would probably be better at this than me, but ill try to help best i can..

Whats your waist size? .. that will help..

Give you an idea, im a 32" and i wear a size 12, or a Medium.. but sometimes a small.. depending on how tight fitting it is...

Probably not a lot of help..

Kay

Wendy me
01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
sarah get some numbers and bring them to the store tell them you are looking for a girlfreind or wife...........it works

KayleighTV_UK
01-07-2005, 09:37 PM
My jeans waist size is 38. I think UK sizings are different than US sizes too.

Sarah

Just thought about it and your right...
Sorry, was just trying to help out a girl in need

Just found this, hope its of some help to you girl!

Ladies Dress Measurement Chart

Size 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
Bust 30"-32" 31"-33" 32"-35" 34"-37" 36"-39" 39"-41" 41"-43" 44"-45"
Waist 22-24" 24-26" 25-28" 26-29" 27-31" 29-33" 32-36" 35-38"

Hope that helps a little..

Bernadina
01-07-2005, 10:31 PM
I was at the department store today in the ladies section looking at some pretty skirts. I thought about getting one but I didn't know my dress size. One skirt had number sizes like 14, 16, etc...and the other were sized as small, medium, large, etc....Too confusing.

Sarah
Forget the numbers. Small, medium and large are meaningless.

Measure your waist and take a tape measure with you when you shop. Measure the skirt to see it will fit.

If your waist is 32" then find a skirt which measures 16" across. If the skirt has an elastised waist then you'll want one that measures about 15" relaxed.

Or be brave and try the skirt on in the store.

I've skirts that have numbers ranging from 8 to 16 and they all have 30-31" waists.

racquel
01-08-2005, 01:37 AM
One girl here suggested that if you fold it in half and it fits around your neck it will fit your waist.(i love that one). :D

Deina
01-08-2005, 02:35 AM
Bizarre as it seems, I've tried that a few times and it seems to work!

Sarah Dearie;

I know it's hard to do the first few times, but if you ask a clerk where you can try something on I've nearly always had good luck. Only once or twice have I had anyone be unpleasant to me, and then a well worded email to the store manager (under my fem name, of course!) usually ensures a more pleasant experience in the future. About the only time I won't try something on is if the store is busy and there are lines waiting for the dressing rooms, or if there are families with masses of kids there. I'm certain that others will disagree with me, but I am quite uncomfortable being out with children. That, and my almost phobic avoidance of the little curtain climbers! :D

Deina

Sarah38b
01-08-2005, 10:27 AM
This is another question I have. How do you zip up your zippers on the back of a dress or top if you have nobody to do it for you? Are they easy to zip by yourself?

Sarah

MonaSmith
01-08-2005, 10:41 AM
This is another question I have. How do you zip up your zippers on the back of a dress or top if you have nobody to do it for you? Are they easy to zip by yourself?

SarahHi Sarah,

Get a piece of cord with a safety pin attached to the end. Clip the pin to the zip, and pull it up over your shoulder with the cord, Bob's your Auntie.

Julie York
01-08-2005, 11:11 AM
The 'How I Couldn't Get Out Of The Dress' part, is the interesting bit.

"Oh hello Mother!...Erm...I was just erm......"

But I have wondered myself Mona. Now I know.

So...erm....Now I am all zipped up...How do I get out of this dress?

Sarah Ellis
01-08-2005, 01:19 PM
my waist just seems to change like the weather or maybe thats the alcohol diet... lol xx :)

AnnaMaria
01-08-2005, 04:39 PM
I guess I am lucky in the fact that I can reach behind me and zip the zipper without to much problem. Unless the dress is very tight in the chest of course.

As far as sizes go I would have to agree that there is no real way to tell for sure if an item will fit unless you try them on. I have gotten one skirt that I didn't try on but it was one from penny's and it was on sale for $7 so I figured that if it was to big then I could just wait and my wife would be able to wear it before long since she is in the process of loosing weight from our son. If I go by the size chart then I wear about a 14 on bottom but about an 18 on top, or a large or x-large. But the sizes depend on the garment a lot to. In panties I wear a size 6 which would indicate that I should probably wear a 10 or 12 on bottom.

huggs
anna

LauraB
01-08-2005, 07:45 PM
One girl here suggested that if you fold it in half and it fits around your neck it will fit your waist.(i love that one). :D
Racquel

That would be graet if it worked
I will try it next time i go shopping

Love
laura
XXXXX

gem_legs
01-08-2005, 08:01 PM
I guess I am lucky in the fact that I can reach behind me and zip the zipper without to much problem. Unless the dress is very tight in the chest of course.

As far as sizes go I would have to agree that there is no real way to tell for sure if an item will fit unless you try them on. I have gotten one skirt that I didn't try on but it was one from penny's and it was on sale for $7 so I figured that if it was to big then I could just wait and my wife would be able to wear it before long since she is in the process of loosing weight from our son. If I go by the size chart then I wear about a 14 on bottom but about an 18 on top, or a large or x-large. But the sizes depend on the garment a lot to. In panties I wear a size 6 which would indicate that I should probably wear a 10 or 12 on bottom.

huggs
anna

annamaria

a fantastic tip that I heard about when zipping up a tight fitting dress was to use a jumbo paper clip attached to a length of cord,

ChristineRenee
01-08-2005, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=Sarah38b]My jeans waist size is 38. I think UK sizings are different than US sizes too.

I am a 38 waist size too Sarah, and I wear a 16 medium in women's jeans. I seem to be able to wear either misses or women's...although misses depends largely on the cut. I don't know how that translates to UK sizing however.

Love,
Christine Renee

christine55
01-08-2005, 09:30 PM
I used to use the safety pin on a string method but I have found that if the dress is not too tight you can zip it up to about 3 inches from the top, put your dress on, reach back and zip er up.
Hugs, Christine

Sharon
01-08-2005, 09:33 PM
There are times when being double-jointed is a blessing.

Megan_Renee
01-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Interestingly enough, that would work fine because our bodies are built purportionately. Our neck is a fraction of the waist, so if you can wrap the skirt around, you can fit! THere are also some other purportions like your wrist is half the circumferance of your neck, I think... and your thumbis 1/4 your wrist... and your hat size is in there somewhere too!

A good way to figure out if it will work for you is to measure (with a clothing tape) how big your neck is... Your neck size will probably not change in the next 24 hours (and if it does, go to the doctor, you have a serious problem...) and then measure your waist.

Megan Renee
--,--`--@

Pamela girl
01-09-2005, 05:32 PM
What I have done before is to get a couple of male items like shorts and then in between them have a skirt of the same length as the shorts, just walk up to the dressing room and ask to try them on. Most likely the person at the changing rooms is not going to look closely but if they do they only see shorts.
Also once I left a short denim skirt on the rack with male shorts. I often wondered if a teen thought they were a new style coming out then tried it on and bought it!

Vallari
01-10-2005, 01:58 AM
I've heard of the wrapping the skirt around your neck method as well. I have yet to try it though. I use this method though:

1: At home, get a pair of guy pants that fit you well, and flatten them out, as if you were going to hang them up.

2: Flatten out the waistline of the pants to it's maximum length, and dont leave any folds in it.

3: Hold the waistline up to your arm. Line up one end of the waistline with the end of your hand. Now hold the other end of the pants up along your arm and see where it ends at. If it ends at an obvious point on your arm, like the crease of your arm, then it's easy to remember, but if it ends somewhere thats difficult to recall later, mark it with a pen (just a little line or smudge or something).

Later when you go to the store looking at either skirts or pants or whatever, just hold the garment up to your arm and see if it is the same length as your guy pants. If it ends before the mark, too small. Afetr the mark, too big. If it's approximately equal the distance, then it should fit just fine. Iv'e had no problems with this method (worked well every time).

I think it looks less obvious in the store. To others it looks like your just admiring/examining the garment and as far as an ink mark on the skin is concerned, i dropped a pen on my arm earlier that day. ;)

I hope I explained this as clearly as possible. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or email, etc. :)

Rikki
01-10-2005, 04:03 AM
I like the idea of useing a sewing tape and measure my waist then take the tape shopping with me. Hasn't failed me yet.

Rikki

Sarah38b
01-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey Christine Renee, I love your dress in your picture? Where did you get it? It's so adorable!! I'd love to have a dress like that.

Sarah

[QUOTE=Sarah38b]My jeans waist size is 38. I think UK sizings are different than US sizes too.

I am a 38 waist size too Sarah, and I wear a 16 medium in women's jeans. I seem to be able to wear either misses or women's...although misses depends largely on the cut. I don't know how that translates to UK sizing however.

Love,
Christine Renee

ChristineRenee
01-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Hey Christine Renee, I love your dress in your picture? Where did you get it? It's so adorable!! I'd love to have a dress like that.

SarahThanks Sarah. I got that awhile back at good ol' Frederick's of Hollywood I believe. Has kind of a Daisy Mae from Lil' Abner look to it doesn't it? I like it cause it shows off my legs and is a little off the shoulder. Actually, though you can't tell from the picture, it is a two piece outfit! I got it a couple of years ago so I don't know if they are still selling it now or not. Check out their website and see. www.fredericks.com (http://www.fredericks.com)

Thanks for the nice compliment Sarah!:) I have more pics coming. Dana is helping me and I hope to get them on the forum this week! The Christine Collection from 2002! (well...part of it anyway)

Love,
Christine Renee

Lily_gg
01-11-2005, 05:19 PM
If you're looking for UK sizes, go to www.next.co.uk and check out their size guide - they detail all the measurements for every garment, both male and female, so you shouldn't have any problem picking the right size for anything from skirts to bras :p

Also, their sizes seem to tally fairly well with a lot of other UK high street shops, and if you do buy the wrong size, you can always exchange it if you leave the tags on - if you're still shy, simply have a shopping list written by your 'wife/girlfriend/whatever' detailing what size 'she' needs you to exchange for, look a bit pathetic and helpless, go straight to the sales desk and get a sales assistant to help you find the right garment. If you're not shy, just go and pick up the right size and ask if you can exchange because you bought the wrong size before - I've never had a problem exchanging/returning things - girlie shops seem to expect it more than male ones - more impulse buyers maybe? :D

Sarah38b
01-11-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow Christine! I really couldn't tell it was a two peice. Does this place ship discretely? I can't wait to see your new collection!

Love, Sarah

Thanks Sarah. I got that awhile back at good ol' Frederick's of Hollywood I believe. Has kind of a Daisy Mae from Lil' Abner look to it doesn't it? I like it cause it shows off my legs and is a little off the shoulder. Actually, though you can't tell from the picture, it is a two piece outfit! I got it a couple of years ago so I don't know if they are still selling it now or not. Check out their website and see. www.fredericks.com (http://www.fredericks.com)

Thanks for the nice compliment Sarah!:) I have more pics coming. Dana is helping me and I hope to get them on the forum this week! The Christine Collection from 2002! (well...part of it anyway)

Love,
Christine Renee

Sarah38b
01-11-2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.fredericks.com/images/2/21146_02_lrg_a_5200.jpg

This is so hot! Love it!! Isn't this dress so flirty and dreamy?