PDA

View Full Version : Why do we buy what we buy?

sandra-leigh
11-02-2006, 02:07 AM
I started into the textured knee-highs a couple of months ago, and have been wearing them at work. So far, no-one has noticed, even when I'm wearing sandals -- and some of those knee-highs aren't much thicker than nylons (e.g., my toes would be clearly distinguishable through them, if my shoes were not covering the toes.) To be clearer about the "nobody has noticed": most of the time I'm in my office by myself, but even when I've been down to coffee with a group of people and have absent-mindedly crossed my foot over my leg, bringing the sock into clear view, no-one has noticed (fortunately!)

Well, I'd been wearing my existing ones a bit too much... can't take them home for laundry. So it was time to buy some more! (Oh, what I hardship!)

Now what I'm trying to figure out is this: Why, when I was shopping for these, did I decide that I definitely wanted to buy a pair of lavendar tights? Regular brown or black or navy tights can be mistaken for mens' socks (when worn sockless in said shoes), but lavendar is a bit far out for that.

I don't even have any ideas on what outfit I would wear the tights with en femme, but I bought them anyhow.

I think I'm starting to believe more strongly in the research that says that people don't really have reasons for their wants, they just have the wants first, and fill in the reasons afterwards!

Even when I was chosing them and buying them, I was thinking, "I don't know why I want these... but they are distinctly not masculine, and if someone were to happen to see them, there would be no claiming that I'm just wearing them for the warmth." And for some reason, right then, it was somehow a Good Thing for me to buy something that was obviously not male and obviously not in the "a guy just might have a practical reason for chosing this."

Historically, Tess-Leigh hasn't really been very femme; e.g., not much into lace or bright-coloured panties or other parts of the female aesthetic. I guess I still have some internal explorations left to do in that direction.

Mistybtm
11-02-2006, 02:12 AM
I think you answered your own question we want just because we do.
I do the same thing if i see somthing and can afford it i get it.
even though it is not a need, just somthing i want.
Mistybtm :tongueout

Phyliss
11-02-2006, 03:03 AM
"Historically, Tess-Leigh hasn't really been very femme; e.g., not much into lace or bright-coloured panties or other parts of the female aesthetic. I guess I still have some internal explorations left to do in that direction."

I think the last sentence sums up your own answer.

It used to be that when I bought "something" it'd be what ever I thought I could get away with or hide. After many years of feeling very daring by wearing a pair of knee highs under a pair of thick socks I began to push the limits more and more by "internal exploration" and gradually expanded my limits.

Now I buy what I buy simply because I can. I do, however, take into consideration that quite possibly, that darling sheer pink blouse might not be a wise choice to wear to a construction site.

Keep exploring and keep learning.

RachelDenise
11-02-2006, 05:47 AM
I think this happens to all of us. Initially we buy something because we see a use for it or need it to complete an outfit or a particular look. Soon you're buying something just because you want it or it makes you feel good about yourself. This seems perfectly logical to me.

Terri Ryan
11-02-2006, 05:56 AM
well said Rachel
if it makes you feel good, go for it

Kate Simmons
11-02-2006, 07:19 AM
It's called "impulse buying". You think something looks nice or cute and then wonder later on why you got it. But, hell, that's part of what being a woman is all about. Even though we really aren't, we feel it. enjoy it.:happy: Ericka/Rich

Ohio_Allana
11-02-2006, 02:14 PM
I think it all boils down to personal preference, or in my case what you'd like to see the female community wear.

For example, I'm really into knee-high leather boots with a heel (stiletto or chunky), typically either black or white shiny leather. Not only do I love the feel of these types, but being a high heel fanatic, I really love the way I look in them too, as well as the opposite sex.

I'm also a big fan of red lace/silk/satin lingerie, not only for the way it looks and feels on me, but on women as well.

So like I said, it's all about what you like as far as looks go. Don't dwell on it too much, just get whatever catches your eye. That's what I do. :heehee:

tall_brianna
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I wonder if subconsciously you might want someone to notice :2c:

Penny
11-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I didn't need these boots yet I bought them yesterday. The other side of the coin is the fun one has trying things on. Shopping can be funtastic!

Ohio_Allana
11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Those boots are absolutely gorgeous, hun!

<3 Allana

sandra-leigh
11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
I wonder if subconsciously you might want someone to notice :2c:

Yeh, my wording certainly does hint at that! With the talking about "if someone saw them I wouldn't have an excuse"... diametrically opposite of "I better not buy these, someone might see them and I wouldn't have any excuse!".

But possibly it is me that I want to have notice them -- me that I want to look down and say, "Look, myself, I can't rationalize this to myself as not really being a real cross-dresser because lots of my other clothes are chosen from a palette of "what a guy might wear, if I guy were to wear these kinds of clothes".

It's hard to explain even to myself, but there is definitely some internal boundary that I don't feel that I am crossing when I'm out wearing my D-cup forms with a quite-serviceable but not fancy bra. Even in a denim mini-skirt and "nude" nylons, I somehow haven't crossed that boundary, but sky-blue panties or lavendar tights are on the other side of the boundary...

Dragster
11-03-2006, 07:07 AM
I agree with you Allana, most of the stuff I like to wear myself, I enjoy seeing women wear too, particularly my wife. Unfortunately, she's little interest in wearing anything so sexy, either going out or in the bedroom. It doesn't stop me from buying them for her though (hoping that one day.....), but since I can get into most of her clothes, I can "try them on" when she's out. I wonder if she's sussed me???

Tony

hiprule
11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
To cite you: they are distinctly not masculine, and if someone were to happen to see them, there would be no claiming that I'm just wearing them for the warmth

That was your reason for buying them.