PDA

View Full Version : Footless tights

Angela Burke
11-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Do any other girls here like me love wearing footless tights, a denim mini, and slippers?
It's a really great "****ty" look.

hiprule
11-02-2006, 01:22 PM
That was the look of the summer here. Black leggings, denim skirt, ballet slippers. A denim skirt or a cotton dress http://store.americanapparel.ca/2386.html.

I actually wore that red dress with black leggings, partially covered by black-and-white-striped stockings. I went as Twiggy.

sarah-smith
11-02-2006, 03:04 PM
not something I have got into... never really liked them :happy:

tall_brianna
11-02-2006, 03:37 PM
That was the look of the summer here. Black leggings, denim skirt, ballet slippers. A denim skirt or a cotton dress http://store.americanapparel.ca/2386.html.

I actually wore that red dress with black leggings, partially covered by black-and-white-striped stockings. I went as Twiggy.

OMG how cute. And just when I was thinking about locking up my debit and credit cards. I have to have it!

hiprule
11-02-2006, 03:52 PM
OMG how cute. And just when I was thinking about locking up my debit and credit cards. I have to have it!

I don't know how tall you are, Tall Brianna, but I'm 6' 4". I bought a large, and it hugs me, just slightly (I'm 165 pounds), and is quite short. In brief, large is the perfect size for me. You can wear it off-the-shoulder style, whatever. As I said this look was very common here this summer.

AprilMae
11-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I love leggings, with a oversized top, or sweatshirt. but I still wear knee highs with them.

hiprule
11-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I think I'm gonna' go to yoga class in tights. I don't think I can 'tuck' and still do yoga, not to mention that the tuck might fascinate some too much.

Vash
11-03-2006, 02:18 AM
I sure do. With just a long sweater or oversized blouse

JazmyneCD
11-03-2006, 02:25 AM
I sure do. With just a long sweater or oversized blouse

That's a great look, hon!

NatalieH
11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Do any other girls here like me love wearing footless tights, a denim mini, and slippers?
It's a really great "****ty" look.

Or, you could just forget the mini! I hope the following story from yesterdays NY Times isn't too long...

Natalie
===================================

Isn’t Anyone in This Town Wearing Pants?
By RUTH LA FERLA

LAST Sunday, Rebecca Levy, an account executive with a New York advertising agency, was dressed in a jacket and tunic that barely grazed the tops of her thighs. Underneath she wore nothing but footless tights. Had she forgotten something?

“Well, I had on flip-flops before I went out,” Ms. Levy, 23, said blandly, “but I swapped them for flats.”

Times change, it seems, and with them what may pass for “dressed” in polite society. Irina Cocimarov, for instance, left her house last week in a jacket and lumberjack shirt over tights. It seemed not to faze her that her scanty look would raise eyebrows.

It was only a winterized version of last summer’s leggy look, she said, with black hose standing in for a short dress and a tan.

Like Ms. Levy, she is part of a tribe of young New Yorkers who have adopted a racy form of minimalism built on a tunic or shirt worn over tights. Never mind that it invites leers. To a true progressive, it represents the cutting edge.

“This look was startling at first,” Michael Fink, the fashion director of Saks Fifth Avenue, acknowledged. But watching his staff sprint around the store, in tights instead of skirts or trousers, opened his eyes.

“This is a courageous experiment,” he said, amused. “It’s another way of playing with proportion, and lots of people, it seems, are willing to play.”

Inspired by the fashions of the 1980’s and the early 90’s — think Jennifer Beals in “Flashdance” — the look has plenty of champions. Collette LoVullo, the owner of CoCo & Delilah in the East Village, said she is selling lots of short jersey tunics and shirts to wear over leggings alone.

Ms. LoVullo, who gleans her fashion intelligence mostly from In Touch and Us, pointed out that the look is only now being adopted by intrepid New Yorkers. “This stuff hits Los Angeles first,” she said. “It takes a while to travel East, though we don’t like to admit that.”

Jaye Hersh, the owner of Intuition, a boutique in Los Angeles, said she first spied the trouser-less look on Nicole Richie and Mischa Barton. “It could have been that those girls were just throwing on their boyfriend’s shirt over a bathing suit at the beach,” she said. “That’s what gave birth to the trend, and it’s only getting bigger.”

At Intuition, variations on the top-and-tights style have fueled a demand for densely knit leggings. Leggings and tights are best sellers, too, at American Apparel, said Tory J. Lowitz, a product developer for the chain. A year ago they represented only 2.5 percent of the company’s business, Mr. Lowitz said. In the last several weeks, that figure has doubled.

Ms. LoVullo offered a tip on wearing the leggings-only look. “It’s important to cover your rear,” she said. “Anything shorter looks a little hoochie mama.”

But such caution goes unheeded by many young women, who may be hoping to approximate a look that originated on the fall runways. The other day, for instance, Naomi Stuart, who is studying international relations in St. Louis, wore a turtleneck sweater that barely covered the top of her tights. Her turnout might have suggested Stella McCartney or Chloé had it been looser — and longer.

“It’s just a different silhouette,” Ms. Stuart said, “a way of showing your shape in the winter that is not in any way raunchy.” All the same, she allowed, “people stare.”

Lilly 40C
11-27-2006, 06:06 AM
I just started wearing them and love the feeling, especially when wearing womens lace topped socks and a skirt.

Kisses to all.

Lilly