PDA

View Full Version : razor rash what do i do?

dreamy01
11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
I'm having a problem with redness on my legs and private area. I've tried several products that say they help but nothing seems to help. My significant other has tried to help me but nothing work Does anyone know of anything I could use. Or recommend a good home waxing kit that works?

Desperate

Dreamy :be:

hiprule
11-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm going to a dermatologist (one who is amazing!) very soon, and I was going to ask her questions about hair removal, particularly sensitive bits and legs. I'll pass on here what I learn there. It'll be good advice, I'm sure. She's, well she's brilliant, but she's a cosmetic dermatologist, if you will. Her practice is geared towards vanity, is what I'm saying.

Annaliese
11-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm having a problem with redness on my legs and private area. I've tried several products that say they help but nothing seems to help. My significant other has tried to help me but nothing work Does anyone know of anything I could use. Or recommend a good home waxing kit that works?

Desperate

I use an Antibiotic ointment.

Anna

Ellaine
11-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi dreamy I'll offer my own experience. At first my pubic skin reacted badly each time I shaved. This settled down some after a couple of weeks regular perseverance. What I didn't realise at the start is that not only was my skin sensetive, but a new blade is essential each time you shave. Now I have little or no problem, I don't use antiseptics or any other medicant, just a new blade, very hot water and always rinse with very cold water to close the pores from after infections. I'm sure skin sensitivity is a major factor to start with. The rest is hygene technique. IMHO.

Bunny_B
11-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I too get this problem. I'm considering waxing instead. Am I likely to get a similar rash or will it all go smoothly?

sorry, just had to get that pun in there. serious question though.

Scotty
11-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Me too on the new blade advise!!

Those new razors, ugh, 3 face shaves and they are done otherwise I get the bumps on my face, ingrown hairs, well on other places too so I always use a fresh razor when I shave, just do everything at once but the pubic area is #1 before the blade gets used anywhere else, arm pits next, then legs. :)

Tonight is leg shaving night, ooh la la.....

Anybody else ever notice that if you shave, get out, and it's cold and you get goose bumps you just got a 5 oclock shadow on your legs?

An old girlfriend told me about this and it made sense after she mentioned it.

carend_99
11-02-2006, 08:00 PM
I use Nair and don't have that problem, although when the hair starts to grow back, I do sometimes get bumps. Also, I haven't tried this, but perhaps you could use an electric razor???

Tamara Croft
11-02-2006, 08:12 PM
very hot water and always rinse with very cold water to close the pores from after infections. You can't open and close pores, that's an old wives tale ;) When you shave your hairs off, it's like exfoliating the skin, which can cause a rash if you don't use an after-shave lotion or cream. The same applies to waxing, you should always use an after-wax lotion or cream. I would recommend using a tea-tree based or aloe vera lotion/cream after you have shaved or waxed.

Ellaine
11-02-2006, 08:27 PM
You can't open and close pores, that's an old wives tale ;) When you shave your hairs off, it's like exfoliating the skin, which can cause a rash if you don't use an after-shave lotion or cream. The same applies to waxing, you should always use an after-wax lotion or cream. I would recommend using a tea-tree based or aloe vera lotion/cream after you have shaved or waxed.

Hi Tamara Seems my pores don't know that. lol
When I omit the cold rinse I usually regret it.
I am a big fan of Aloe Vera, I use it straight from the cut leaf on any abrasions. The plant doesn't mind being thus butchered either!

sarah-smith
11-02-2006, 08:34 PM
Wax or shave I end up with a rash or sore skin :(
I use Vaseline DermaCare - Dermatological Lotion, a god send! :happy:

takes away the irritation then sorts the skin out... usually gets rid of all my sore skin and rash problems within a hour then just re-apply it a few times a day to keep the sore skin and rashes away! :D

Raevyn
11-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I use a trick from a stripper girlfriend of mine, after shaving immediantlly apply solid deodarant, like secret, to the area, i don't know why it works but it does! ;)

dreamy01
11-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Would like to thank everyone for your ideas will try them. All of you girls are the best and wish I could HUG you all .

Hugs&Kisses

:bighug: :love:

wildgal
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
What really helped me is to take a long,long bath before shaving. at least 15-20 minutes minimum. use a good quality lotion every day. or even try taking a break from shaving for a few days to let the skin heal a little.

Wenda
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I shave in the tub. When I first shaved my legs, I had an outbreak of razor-bumps, and went to Aveeno shaving cream, which really helped. I rinse with Peroxide, which doesn't burn like alcohol, but disinfects, probably like Raevyn's stripper friend's deodorant. As some of the others have mentioned, the first shave is the worst. I shave legs, chest, etc, every day, just like my face. Once you get in a rythm, don't stop it. One point, if you shave in the tub, wait a few minutes before shaving. The little muscles around the hairs will contract, lifting the root upwards. If you shave when the hairs are erect, you can slice the tops off, and get .... razor bumps!

stacie
11-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Moisturize, exfoliate and keep up on your shaving. After time the bumps will go away.