PDA

View Full Version : Dress Code for Halloween

Lauren Richards
11-02-2006, 09:27 PM
I'll keep this short, but since Halloween is our holiday, I'll add my story in, too.

Our company was recently acquired by a larger company, and the new company has a dress code which is "business casual". Many folks wear jeans where I work, so this has not been fully embraced. I typically have been business casual for years, so I am quite comfortable with, and appreciate, the new standards.

On Halloween folks were getting into costumes at work all morning, so I slipped into a conference room and changed out of my slacks and loafers into a long wool skirt and a pair of heels. I was already wearing panties and tights, so it did not take long to change. I did slip in a pair of thigh pads and butt pads, just for effect. Skirt, heels, and button down shirt. Perfect! My costume was "Dress Code".

Most people did not notice at first, and when they did, I told them "I should have read the 'dress' code more carefully. Or at least past the 'dress code' in the document title." It was great! The HR gal told me that I actually did conform to the code. Some complemented me on how I was walking. "Years of practice" (with a slight raise to the eyebrow) was my standard answer.

For the last two days, many have been asking "where is your skirt?" I reply that it is at the cleaners, but that I found it so comfortable that I may just start wearing a skirt more often. We'll see.

Opps. This was not very short. Ok, neither was the skirt, so I hope that makes it ok.

Lauren

Phoebe Reece
11-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Great story Lauren! Another case of hiding in plain sight.

Cristi
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
I also work in a 'business casual' office (jacket and tie for me). I wasn't at work for the holiday this year, but saw photos when I got back. Lots of people dressed up, and there were a lot of great costumes.

So I'm thinking that next year might be the time to do the full drag thing for the day. 'Just' putting on a dress might not be enough of a costume, so I might do something simple like a nurse's uniform or waitress.

I share your thoughts that, after spending all day like that it could be tough to go back to 'drab' the next day! The temptation would be strong to keep the ball rolling and see what happens! :)

Billijo49504
11-03-2006, 01:55 AM
I think you would get away with a skirt for our holiday, BUT, theres always one of them, I don't think you will get away with a skirt for just regular days. Remember that dress code is for Genaric Males and females. And never the twain shall meet...BJ

Lauren Richards
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks, girls. It was a total treat to be able to walk in heels and wear a skirt at the office. From a few of the comments I got, there were several who thought I really should wear it more often, and a few who were peaking out of the closet. I suspect it will be another year until the dress comes out of the closet...at least to be worn at work. However, I know it will be worn many times before then, in full Lauren mode.

Lauren

Nikki A.
11-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Like you I dressed for work and it was a blast. Just hearing the heels click across the floor, a couple of times the one secretary thought it was the other girl in the office since we all were wearing heels that day.
It was just such a rush that I feel down now that I have to wait another year at least, before I can do it again. Of course, if I lose alot of weight maybe I won't look so matronly.

trannie T
11-03-2006, 08:35 PM
We need more holidays like Halloween. One day a year is nor enough, how about April 1?

suzy
11-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Let's start up a CD holiday? Everyone in nthe office must CD for the day?!!:D

Lauren Richards
11-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Searching, did you go full-out? If so, good for you, girl!

I suspect there are many more who do cd in our offices, factories, fields and construction sites than are apparent on first glance. One of the guys at work said to me on Halloween in what sounded like a very knowing voice "Your calves are going to be killing you." Hmmm...wonder how he knew? Mine didn't, but I think that is because of "years of practice.'

If we want another holiday, how about April 31, exactly six months from Halloween. (ok..get out your calendars and work that out...)

Lauren

Lauren Richards
11-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I know Halloween is over and most everyone has moved on to other thoughts and adventures, but I keep thinking about next year. I wore a skirt and heels, and that went over really well.

I am thinking that next year to push the envelop a little I might send out an email inviting everyone in the office to vote on what length of skirt I should wear. Long or short? Heels or flats? Then wear what they vote on. Our office has less than 100 people in it, everyone saw me in the skirt. What do you think?

Lauren

Yes, it is a LONG time away, but having a dream helps bridge the time..

Theresa(TGirl)
11-09-2006, 12:15 AM
i wish April Fool's Day (Apr 1) could be a costume related day.

cd_lisaplaything
11-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Let's start up a CD holiday? Everyone in nthe office must CD for the day?!!:D

Now that sounds like a plan!

suzy
11-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Yeah!

April Fools Day..... perfect day to make as a "costume" related day!

I here~by declare April fools day as a "costume crossdressing" day for everyone in the world!! Be it FTM or MTF or whatever else there is.....:D

Lauren Richards
11-09-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm kinda warming up to the idea. For us, it would be "April Fems" day!

Theresa(TGirl)
11-09-2006, 08:14 PM
well the idea of April Fool's Day, at least the idea while in school, is to try and fool people, so it makes sense. Heck, why should Halloween be the only day that we get to dress up in weird costumes (or for many of us, take a trip out of the closet).

Lauren Richards
11-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Yes, for us it would be "Come as you are..."

MarinaTwelve200
11-09-2006, 10:17 PM
We need more holidays like Halloween. One day a year is nor enough, how about April 1?

Well down south, from South Alabama, south Mississippi and south Louisianna we ALSO have Mardi Gras (the day before ASH Wendsday) it is very much like halloween with parades. And CDing is one of the most popular costumes.

Just about every culture has at least one day for wearing disguises and and cutting loose.----I think its a necessaey social saftey valve. I pitty the few countries that dont have Halloween or Carnival ----The poor Brits have only "Guy Falkes" night--a pale version of Halloween indeed,:D