PDA

View Full Version : Ottawa support

Sally2005
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Has anyone here had experience with "Gender Metaphor" or "Gender Mosaic" in Ottawa Ontario? Which group is better? I was wondering if they offer a place to change and members who enjoy going out and privacy?

Bernadina
11-03-2006, 12:52 PM
I don't know, but I'd choose the one Stephen Harper does not belong to.

sandra-leigh
12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
Has anyone here had experience with "Gender Metaphor" or "Gender Mosaic" in Ottawa Ontario? Which group is better? I was wondering if they offer a place to change and members who enjoy going out and privacy?

I have no experience with either, but as I am going to be in Ottawa for a few days, I have just examined their websites,

http://www.geocities.com/gender_metaphor/
http://www.gendermosaic.ca/

Both organizations offer privacy and social events.

I note though that the gender metaphor site is mostly years out of date. There is also something intangible that bothers me about the tone of the site.

The gender mosaic site appears to be relatively well organized, and generally up to date. I can see that the organization itself is more formal -- e.g., with considered Bylaws, standing committees, rules about which exec positions can be drawn from outside the membership, and so on. More bureaucratic possibly. On the other hand, they went through the bother of putting in an omnibudsman position to smooth things out.

gender metaphor's rules for the execuative is that to run for office you have to have attended at least 7 social events in the previous year, and that your dues are free while you are an exec.
gender mosaic's rules are that new members have a 91 day probation period and afterwards are full members, and any member with paid-up dues can run for the exec.
So I kind of get the impression, perhaps unjustified, that at gender metaphor, there is peer pressure to get out to the social events or else you aren't a "real" member.

gender metaphor's site speaks very strongly of "confidentiality" -- one accidental breach and you are out of the club, no appeal.
gender mosaic's site speaks of "privacy"; upholding the privacy of others is one of the by-laws, but there isn't a fixed discipline for by-law infractions and there is that omnibudsman position I mentioned. This distinction gives me the impression that gender metaphor is more "uptight".

Both Ottawa organizations appear operate in ways that are a bit foreign to the Winnipeg organization I belong to: Masquerade is more of a "do the best you can" organization, and is far more casual. If someone doesn't show up for a meeting, it may be regreted, but we know about schedule mismatches, and about not being about to get away from family that doesn't know, and we know about "not feeling like it" for periods, and we get a number of deep-closeted or very-new members to whom getting out is not without its mental anguish. When people show up, we're glad to see them, and if they "go missing" we worry a bit about them. We have members who don't make any meetings, but they are welcome any time.

Similarily, our group publically distributes its newsletters, gives them away free, and copies are available on web site, with just a one-month embargo for non-members. And we have tons of photos, with frequent updates, not static content that hasn't changed for years. There are direct flights from Ottawa to Winnipeg if you want to visit one of our meetings :D

Sally2005
12-20-2006, 02:23 AM
Thanks for taking the time to compare the groups. I have been in touch with the Gender Mosaic, but have yet to attend a meeting. I do not think the other group exists anymore (I guess the page is left up for information only). I was looking for a group that is more casual and with more flexible meeting times as it is difficult to get out of the house on weekend evenings which is when they often meet. I have plans to attend a meeting to see what it is like, maybe I'll meet someone else with the same interests as I have. I'm looking for a way to get out a bit with some help and company. If I'm ever out west I may just pop in.

judyk
12-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Hi all

I started this group some nearly 20 years ago and If you want a under standing group this is the place to go.
If you need help dressing they know it all.

I can't speek of the other group but at GM youll be at home.

Hugs

JudyK

julie w
12-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I have meet some of the girls from Gender Mosaic and it is a great group
I would recommend you go to one of their get togethers ,