PDA

View Full Version : Depression and Winter

Amy Hepker
11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
I was just wondering how the rest feel about this??? When the weather starts getting cold and Winter is getting close I tend to get a little depressed and NEED to Dress even more. There is not alot to do in the Winter time.:( It makes me feel better when I dress.:happy: I know that in my past I have lost a lot of GGirlfriends this time of year:eek: Why I don't know I guess they just did not want to be stuck with me though the Winter. :( I also lost my Mother about 7 year ago this time of year and I suppose that does not help. Well anyway,Do You get depressed in the Winter time and find the need to dress even more???:D I mean I love to dress all year around, but find I want to do it more NOW and when I get depressed. Is this odd???

AprilMae
11-05-2006, 10:55 AM
I enjoy winter, the only time I get depressed is when I have to drive to work in snow. I dress more in colder weather, the clothes for the season are my favortes, sweaters, long skirts , leggings. Plus they hide a multitude of sins.

Karren H
11-05-2006, 11:06 AM
One....I don't get depressed...It's too depressing!! And two, I dress more in the winter becasue it's not hot and I can wear more clothing....and more is better!!!!

Karren

Kate Simmons
11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Not really Amy. I DO dress warmer though. Have flannel nighties for those cold, cold nights and usually have a pair of socks on to keep my tootsies warm. Really though, the Winter does not depress me or cause me to dress any more or less. I DO get pissed if the snow is 4 feet deep and I have to shovel it. Cuts down on my "Ericka time". although I sometime dress as a "snow bunny" to go out and shovel it. Other than that, I keep warm and comfy in the house and enjoy a nice hot coffee and lounging around in my housecoats, etc.:happy: Ericka/Rich

princessmichelle
11-05-2006, 11:53 AM
Hi Amy,

The anniversary of the death of a loved one can be depressing-I have one around this time of year too.

But otherwise I don't find winter more depressing: I get depressed all year round :)
And lack of crossdressing can depress me.

But I usually crossdress more in winter because I can hide it under my male winter clothes: in the hot summer months I can't even wear a bra without it being visible, but in the winter I can hide a bra _and_ camisole under a male shirt and sweater. Likewise, panthyhose would be impossible if I couldn't wear pants over them. So winter is better than summer for secret crossdressing.

But it is harder to hang out with friends outside, so there is a tradeoff.

Princessmichelle

Shannon CD
11-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Actually I get excited when the winter months come into view. That is when I know I can shave my legs and not have any fear of being found out (No need for shorts). Plus work usually slows down a bit and I have more time for myself.

Jammie Lyann
11-05-2006, 01:21 PM
I try to keep my self quite busy , to keep from getting depressed.
I found that the begining of Spring was the worst for me so I plan alot of out doors work during this time. This last spring I built a new porch an the last 8 or 9 years I have done simular things, sence I noticed a trend in my depression.
:D but I'm not sure at this time what im going to do this coming spring, because Tax money is being spent on wife this year. but the following year I have the kitcen to remodle :happy: maybe I'll roatill the yard an replant the lawn.

Scotty
11-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Clean your house, re-arrange, re-organize, re-decorate - do things that will make your inside life happier!!
Light a candle.

For the guy side, take on a project in the garage for a couple of hours, rebuild an engine, re-paint a boat (Like I'm doing) - do something!

I fought off depression because of T-blockers but now that those are out of my system I've got a TON of stuff to do.

Then there's learning a new skill on the computer, I've got a whole new programming language to learn and so I wrapped that up in my degree so I can do two birds with one stone.

THere's a lot for me to do this winter, first time in a while but it keeps me busy!

Besides, the thunderstorms we had last night were so neat, the rain coming down on the roof put me right to sleep.

And do those things dressed! I did yesterday, 100% dolled up and just cleaned house, worked on the 'puter......but I had the urge to get some shoes and go out!!

Then there's that - go out, have a good Friday evening!!!

The hardest part about depression is getting motivated to do it, but once you take on a project it'll absorb you and wash that depression away.

Sam-antha
11-05-2006, 02:06 PM
At least that is how I see winter. Dark mornings, early dark in the afternoon (1500 the sun goes behind thehills and by 16oo it is dark). I do not work and at this time the day is shrot for travel or walking.
After the first onslaught it becomes a things to do time and then it is Christmas and then the days do start to lengthen...
Wood to chop, fires to light and candles to burn at night.

Dressing almost stops until the spring. The urge stops too.
Guess that I am just different.

Melinda G
11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
I don't like winter. But I manage to keep myself "entertained" on those long winter days and nights.:D

kymmieLorain
11-05-2006, 05:20 PM
I have been getting the winter blas for quite a while. I enjoy getting out and working on the car( wish I had a garage) I usually work on a model or something. In the winter Is a better time for CDing as you can hide feminine clothing better.

Kymmie

MadisonLee
11-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi,

Seems you may have some seasonal depression which is a mental illness my best friends mother has it. She wears special glasses that send some light into her eyes and goes to her brain. The lack of sunlight on some people can make them feel depressed. Also the lost of a loved one around this time of year doesnt help either. If this makes you feel better I never new my real parents, my mother, my father or if I had any siblings. I am adopted and I was born in a 3rd world country. So this time of year is usually depressing for me because the day my birthday is , is the day I was brought to the orphange. For those that wonder, there was no birth records kept, and I wasnt born in a hosital. All I know is that I was alive near the end of the Vietnam war. I had was adopted out of the country into Canada and for that I needed a birthday and id basically my passport as a baby was made up so I could leave the country. So I envy people that know of or know there real parents/siblings. They know there past and I do not. I use to get really depressed now I have adjusted because I located the women that risked there lives to run the orphange over where I come from.

TVStevie
11-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Amy, it's possible that you may suffer from SAD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Butterfly Bill
11-05-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't know if it is exactly depression, but in the winter I get more introspective and more inclined to mental pursuits and less inclined to physical activity and manual work. Summer is for working outside on a house, winter is for sitting inside with a computer writing and reading. Travel is for the summer, winter is for staying put. (Thank the gods I con't have to go on Christmas trips any more.)

trannie T
11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I don't enjoy winter, my favorite activity is complaining about it. I do enjoy wearing more clothes, I can wear a bra under my shirt without it being noticable. I can go out more en femme as I look a lot better in the dark.

GG Vanya
11-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Amy, it's possible that you may suffer from SAD. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Thank you Stevie!

I was resisting the urge to point this out again~didn't want to be repetitive.

It's possible many of you are feeling the symptoms of SAD and it has absolutely nothing with what you wear or do not wear.

Oddly enough, one readily available "cure" for SAD is a sunbed. This is how I discovered I had SAD (years ago) I always seemed to get extremely peaceful/happy when lying on my sunbed and mentioned it to my GP.

He looked at me strangely and said...are you struggling with depression during the fall and winter months? Bingo!~

Another way to ward off the symptoms is an artificial light~can't remember if it's UVA or UVB~placed near your desk or favorite reading chair. For those of you (like me) no longer into the suntanning scene and not wishing to take medications like Zoloft, etc. this is an excellent alternative. The only drawback that I can think of for you CDs is that the lighting won't show your makeup nearly as well as your makeup mirror. :D :happy:

kerrianna
11-05-2006, 09:03 PM
My cure for SAD would be 4 months in Hawaii.:shades:

Unfortunately I can't quite swing that, so, yes playing more indoor games is also a big help. :twirl:

And the light/vitamin D thing :thumbsup:

Melinda G
11-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Home Depot, and other stores carry flourescent light tubes of the "Natural Daylight" variety. They cost a few bucks more than the regular ones, but they are quite bright and are supposed to be like daylight. I use them in the garage and the basement, and they seem to help. You can even set one up just about anywhere,and spend a couple hours under it reading. I also get that seasonal depression. I've got it now. It usually goes away sometime in February, when I can notice the days getting longer. Going somewhere warm, helps, but the days are still short, even in Florida.

Byllie
11-05-2006, 10:28 PM
SAD, Seasonally Affected Disorder, is no joke. The body needs so many hours of natural light in order to produce vitamin D and melanin. There are many lamps on the market that output at least 10,000 lumens, which is what is needed.

Melinda G
11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
By the way. Take Vitamin D in the winter, to make up for the lack of sunlight. It's a fact that there is a higher rate of cancer in the northern tier of states, and there is research being done to see if a lack of vitamin d might be the cause. Sorry to get serious here. Just wanted to share that.

Penny
11-05-2006, 10:38 PM
I love winter, especially in Texas. It is not too cold with little snow. It still affords one the oportunity for more clothes that tend to hide some obvious flaws. It is still warm enough to wear dresses and skirts with boots and not get to hot or cold in slips and nylons.