PDA

View Full Version : Bra sizing

rickie121x
11-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I read over and over again that the measured band or chest size is measured just below the breasts. OK, I can do that. Then most sellers of bras say that one must add five inches to that number to get the bra size.

Well, my chest measures 37 inches. I normally buy size 38 bras. And, that has always made sense to me. But If I were to follow their notion, I would order size 43 - upping it an inch to 44 as they also say to do. A 44, which I have tried, is more like bad joke - it just dangles on my body.... :o

A brassiere sized 38 seems to fit just fine - Does anyone know if I am doing something wrong here? What is it that I don't understand?

One of those who doesn't quite fit... Rickie :heehee:
PS: Good prices on silicone? breast forms: http://www.truekare.com/products.htm

Sedona
11-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree Rickie,

I've never understood this either. I'm about your measurements and usually gone with a 40, or a 38, sometimes with an extender. A 42 looks like a boat on my trunk, plus styles in a 38 are just so much sexier than 42 bras.

Scotty
11-05-2006, 06:09 PM
I thought we had this topic yesterday, and that I replied but maybe not?

Your chest size below breast IS your band size - that does not change.
That's your BRA SIZE, Definitely a 38 on you, I always recommend b reathing deep when you measure because you ahve to breath with a bra on.....

Now to get the CUP size add 5 inches to that. I guess they say a woman is 5 inches larger at zero and an ything more is cup size.

Now measure your breast size and subtract the BAND SIZE PLUS 5" measurement from it. (ie 43 except they say to round up).

If it's less than 5 inches it's AA or half A.
1" is an A cup (meaning you are 1 inch larger than the added 5 inch measurement)
2" B cup and so on.

In my case I'm a 38 and across the breasts is 43.

So add 5 to 38 and that's 43.

By that measurement I'm a 1/2A or AA.

But I've read add 4 inches, which puts me at an A cup, so you buy a bra in that size and see if it works.
A cups work for me, half or AA cups are a tad tight.

THat's just a guideline though as each mfg is different and each person is different.....

Hope that helps!!

rickie121x
11-08-2006, 01:50 AM
....Your chest size below breast IS your band size - ....that's your BRA SIZE
.... to get the CUP size add 5 inches to that....
Now measure your breast size and subtract the BAND SIZE PLUS 5" measurement from it.... except they say to round up

If it's less than 5 inches it's AA or half A.
1" is an A cup
2" B cup and so on.....
Hope that helps!! Wow, that is so simple - I wonder why I have not been able to decipher the instructions - all of these years. :heehee:

Thank you very much, Rickie :bonk:

Kate Simmons
11-08-2006, 05:41 AM
I dunno Hon. If they gave me that much trouble, I wouldn't even bother wearing the damn things. The only reason I do now is that when I go out as Ericka, my friends "expect" me to be sticking out in front (and look forward to it). Otherwise, you can keep 'em. You should be able to get a good fit if you measure your chest just under where the breasts would be. I can't figure out why they are not fitting you. The cup size is more or less determined by yourself and how "big" you wanna be.:happy: Ericka/Rich

RachelDenise
11-08-2006, 05:45 AM
We have seen many posts from members about getting fitted. If you can do that, then you'll know exactly what size bra you need. Of course there is that tricky little bit of actually getting it done!

LittleBlackDress
11-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the great info Scottie.

I did find a fitting guide that explains the adding 4 inches vs. 5 inches.
You add whichever will give you an even number, as band sizes only come in even numbers.

So... as a 38, one would add 4" to get 42" (an even number).

I've been doing a lot of searcing on this and have found that just about everyone says that the measurement right below the breat +5 = the band size.
Now that doesn't make any sense at all.
As a person of logic... if you measure 38" around the chest at the point where the band will be, then why on earth would you add 5 inches???

So I agree with you, 38" is 38"... so I purchased my first bra - a 38C
I chose a "C" to accomodate the forms I recently purchased. We'll see how it all comes together.

Tip: if you are less fleshy, your cup size will most likely be somewhere around AA or A. But, before you go out and buy an A cup, consider what size you want to be and what you want to fill it with. I've tried the nylon and birdseed trick and it was inexpensive and worked pretty well as a starter.

I also found breast forms FAQ which suggests that you can use balloons and fishing worms. They give the pros and cons of each method. The FAQ page has a fair amount of good information about forms, styles, etc for anyone at the information gathering stage.

http://blooberry.com/bformfaq/index.html
I have no affiliation with this site. I just found some good information there.

Hope this helps!

Lanore
11-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Here's my way. It can't be too tight and has to hold my boobs. By trial and era I've found what fits and what doesn't. I do have my own, (boobs), which would make fitting a little easier. Now, when I go shopping for a new bra, I can tell if it's going to fit or not without even putting it on. I love my girls.

Lanore