PDA

View Full Version : Transgender washrooms? The new segregation?

shae
11-07-2006, 01:59 AM
Transgendered washrooms eyed at U of A:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2006/11/05/2241959-sun.html

and my letter to the editor:

Transgender washrooms? My, now everyone's a victim! "oh, it's so tough
going to the loo, other people are watching, I need to hide from the
rest of society!" I too identify as transgendered, but as a genetic
male, I simply use the boys' room, and if someone looks askance because
I'm wearing a dress, tough: your problem, not mine. Those who decide to
travel that path, be they transvestites, transsexuals, androgynes,
whatever, are going to have to suck it up and interact with society on
society's terms, not demanding special treatment because of personal
lifestyle. No sympathy here, but rocket-scientist and future psych
expert Fung Lo has missed the reality: most TG folk don't choose to
"practice transgenderism" - it's just a part of their life, like it or
not. I pity Lo's future clients.

Shae

GypsyKaren
11-07-2006, 05:54 AM
So what's the big deal, is this going to effect your standard of living or quality of life? If you want to use the men's room, fine, be my guest, but I choose not to. And why should I live my life on society's terms? Should all minorities do the same? With all of the hatred and bigotry in this world, should everyone who's out of the mainstream just shutter themselves inside because they don't fit into some kind of mold? I really don't see how transgender bathrooms is demanding special treatment, I see it more as a courtesy and a nod in our direction that we do exist.

Karen

Kate Simmons
11-07-2006, 06:02 AM
If only the rest of life were as simple as this "problem"."Sigh".Ericka/Rich

Tina Dixon
11-07-2006, 06:04 AM
All I can say is when I got to go look out:heehee:

DonnaT
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Actually they are discussing gender-neutral washrooms.

However, if there was a special washroom for TGs, I think it would be less crowded, and quicker to use, which I wouldn't mind ;)

But gender-neutral washrooms would likely be over used, and we'd never get in.

Teresa Amina
11-07-2006, 08:31 AM
Perhaps calling them Unisex would go down better, but really, what are you getting all bent out of shape over? This really is a safety issue. You certainly have the right to go in the mens room dressed femme but some of those guys in there might not care about your rights and do more than just harass you.

Charity's GG
11-07-2006, 08:38 AM
Hubby and I went to Lowe's the other day (a home-fixer upper store)...and I noticed they also have a unisex bathroom. It shocked me at first but then I thought it wasnt such a bad thing...it gives yall neutrality...and maybe makes you feel a little more comfortable? I see it as a way society is inching towards acceptance...have a wonderful day! Charity's GG

Emma England
11-07-2006, 09:10 AM
In England, Ladies and Gent toilets have always been segregated.

With unisex, it would mean that there would be guys to make a mess.

The Ladies are always cleaner, fresher, and nicer.

CharleneCD
11-07-2006, 09:11 AM
I don't see it as segregation but more as recognition. It allows us a safe place where we don't run the risk of harrasment, or getting the crap beat out of us, and avoids the issue of women who want to panic at the thought of one us gurls in their restroom. While I would love to see the day where we are treated and accepted in the gender we present, that day is not here yet. So I will take the gender neutral bathrooms as a positive step in the right direction.

shae
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
...With all of the hatred and bigotry in this world, should everyone who's out of the mainstream just shutter themselves inside because they don't fit into some kind of mold? I really don't see how transgender bathrooms is demanding special treatment, I see it more as a courtesy and a nod in our direction that we do exist.

Karen

I see demanding special washrooms as pandering to the Politically Correct, as increased segregation, and as yet another excuse for the transgendered to hide from the world. Maybe I'm just lucky where I live, maybe I just have a don't-mess-with-me attitude, but in the time I've been doing this, only one fool has tried to give me grief, and all it took was a look and a snarl to get rid of him.

rickie121x
11-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I just looked at the new article; It said "Going to the washroom is often dangerous and stressful for transgendered, transsexual, intersexed, androgynous and gender-ambiguous people."

Well, that is the feeling that I often have had, that it can be dangerous. But my idea has been selfish, definitely for me and my safety and wellness. The ariticle expands the notion significantly to apply to a much greater number of folks. It certainly would be be an improvement.

The real imrovement would be if "people" would have changed, and simply accepted "us" as one of them.... :o Right, like that's gonna happen!

:troll: Rickie

Jill
11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
With all due respect, people complain waaaayy to much. I believe it was Abraham Lincoln that said that you can please some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time. A lot of crossdressers find it awkward to use public restrooms because of the proverbial gender limbo. I'm sure there are people out there that would love a restroom just for TG folks and if that is true then it's a breath of fresh air. But then when it comes around the bend, someone else says it's segregation. No matter what you do, someone will always complain.

Karren H
11-07-2006, 01:31 PM
Actually I think is kind of cool!! Like recognition!! But will M2F and F2M TG's be using the same restroom?? Think they need to address that!! Hehe. Maybe its time for just a people room....vs mens room or ladys room!! "Pee place". "Urination station". Geeee. This is kind of fun!! Lol

As long as I have a place to pee and powder my nose, I'm happy and relieved!!

:D

Love Karren

GypsyKaren
11-07-2006, 03:37 PM
I see demanding special washrooms as pandering to the Politically Correct, as increased segregation, and as yet another excuse for the transgendered to hide from the world. Maybe I'm just lucky where I live, maybe I just have a don't-mess-with-me attitude, but in the time I've been doing this, only one fool has tried to give me grief, and all it took was a look and a snarl to get rid of him.

Perhaps you have a different outlook on it, I'm TS and feel out of place using the men's room. Also, demanding is not pandering, accepting the status quo is. In any event, when I go to the bathroom I want to "hide", somethings aren't meant to be public.

You have fun too...
Karen

Charleen
11-07-2006, 04:04 PM
When I was in Luxemburg in 1974, the WCs were for both, and I didn't notice. Just of the tram from Trier Germany and had quaffed a few, so I headed for the WC, saw a the usual picture of the guy in pants and went in. As I was standing at the urinal, a stall door opened behind me and a woman came out! I thought Cool, but WTF is that about? When I got out and looked, the sign had both symbols on it. Again, Cool! I didn't care, and I noticed that no one else seemed bothered.
Don't know much at all about Canadian society, but I can't see anything like that becoming the norm here in the States. It is a great idea though. Love and xxxx, Lily

Penny
11-07-2006, 04:39 PM
Actually I think is kind of cool!! Like recognition!! But will M2F and F2M TG's be using the same restroom?? Think they need to address that!! Hehe. Maybe its time for just a people room....vs mens room or ladys room!! "Pee place". "Urination station". Geeee. This is kind of fun!! Lol

As long as I have a place to pee and powder my nose, I'm happy and relieved!!

:D

Love Karren

Sounds good. Now all we need to do is design a wall uninal you can sit on.
We could make millions! LoL

Alaceann
11-07-2006, 05:15 PM
In Boston they have put in unisex restrooms at some train stations last year I think it was. It was in the papers for one girl that put up a fight
when she was harassed for using the ladies room. This state is so politicaly
correct that they did something and I thought good for her. Ihave seen some at some malls but mostly at hospitals. Ihave not been out but I think
I'd go where there is an open stall when I have to go ladies first then mens
just as I have seen women do,go in the mens room when the ladies is to busy. I'm sure there will be more as time goes on.

hotbobbie
11-07-2006, 05:58 PM
It is a start. Remember Rome was not built in a day.

Jennaie
11-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Can't imagine walking out the door of the "Transgendered restroom" still thinking I'm passing. :lol:

I seem to pass in the ladies room just fine. I think I will leave well enough alone.

SherriePall
11-07-2006, 06:29 PM
I remember commenting on this once before. Walking into a unisex bathroom when either a men's or ladies' room is available nearby shouts "crossdresser!" My original understanding is that these rooms are meant for fathers who have young daughters who have to go or mothers who have young sons who have to go, but are too old to haul into the restroom appropriate for the gender of the parent.

Jillian310
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
One of the meds I am forced to rely on are euphamistically called 'pee pills'. When they kick in, you WILL pee! And with very short lead time! I have used all designated restrooms in either en femme or en drab, grabbing the first one at hand. Sooooooooooo, as more of us age and get the prostate issues, access to any and all restrooms will be a necessity, not a choice!!!!! As I have stated on other threads, females using male restrooms at stadium events are not that unusual here in Steeler country. And I believe the GG's check out the 'equipment' on display as they come and go! It is a little more ususal for males to use the female rooms, but it does happen - - at least by me! To me that is much preferred to peeing my panties! Even if fems are in the room at the time, they all have stalls with doors so they do provide the privacy that GG's are so nuts about. And yes, to minimize any overt notice, i sit when in the female rest room when I am en drab as well as en femme!

DianeC
11-08-2006, 03:03 PM
Who would use a Transgendered Washroom, I certainly wouldn't? When I girl mode I use the girls, otherwise the boys!

The complaints you get from a minority of women just shows that women can be bigoted as men (although they are less likely to stick a fist in your face for being different and out of place).

Any MTF or FTM who passes would prefer to use the washroom appropriate to what they present themselves to be. Anyone who uses a TG washroom is adverstising to those who havent already noticed what you are.
On the plus side many women might see it as a 2nd "ladies" for use when their's aqueue for the "normal" ladies ?

Dx

janedoe311
11-08-2006, 05:42 PM
I am seeing family restrooms. A large unisex bathroom for the whole family. So it is kind of going that way.

So a tg rest room? for one person or more?

M to F or F to male or one of each. CD's Male to female or Female to male or one of each.

Starts to get messy!:heehee:

shae
11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks, all for commenting! Gypsy Karen, you've made me think about my less-than-positive take on this issue. It's interesting how few of us picked up on the psych student's quote about "practicing transgenderism" - and this is the sort of thing our future folk will have to deal with, knee-jerk redneckism from the clueless.

Billie Jean
11-09-2006, 07:14 PM
Its not segregation but the realization of the third gender be it MTF or FTM. We need a place to call our own even if it is just a toilet. Billie Jean

murphysd2004
11-15-2006, 03:44 AM
I'm usually in drab with pantyhose and a girdle underneath. I go into the men's and use a stall. I end up pulling everything down, sitting, and when finished, putting it all back into place...

Samantha B L
11-15-2006, 09:54 AM
I was in a small Minnesota town 25-30 miles from where I live in Wisconsin. I was in drab with my Nephew and we went into one of those refurbished old river town buildings with antique businesses and six dollar hamburger joints. I had to use the restroom while he did conducted some business and I was surprised to find that this old building or "mini-mall" had a unisex restroom and it even said so on the sign.I mean,I realize that the Wisconsin-Minnesota- Michigan U.P. region is kinda progressive in some small ways,but it is the midwest and people can be very set in their ways.I've used women's restrooms once in awhile years ago.Often they have a tendency to be cleaner than guy's restrooms.I stopped doing that a long time ago when I found out that in some places you could get busted as a sex offender for that.Maybe a unisex restroom is an advantage.You're at least guaranteed that you can go to the restroom which can sometimes be a very precarious proposition depending on where you are at a certain time and if it's single, men's or women's restrooms and whether or not your en femme or in drab. Later,Samantha

Calliope
11-15-2006, 01:10 PM
I think what really counts is the single-person washroom. Longer wait but I think the privacy compensates. I do use the women's in my travels but I can see the move towards unisex in the future.

Charolette time
11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Hubby and I went to Lowe's the other day (a home-fixer upper store)...and I noticed they also have a unisex bathroom. It shocked me at first but then I thought it wasnt such a bad thing...it gives yall neutrality...and maybe makes you feel a little more comfortable? I see it as a way society is inching towards acceptance...have a wonderful day! Charity's GG

Same thing at Home Depot its called Family room, male female and little rug rats:heehee: so if you gotta go use whats ever available, its part of nature, Love Charolette

loriannetucson
11-16-2006, 06:08 PM
Here's a new article in Tucson, Arizona's paper saying that the University of Arizona will be the first in colleges to offer this "friendly" bathroom for "gender neutral" people...

Don't know if I like that title.
Here's the link:

http://www.azstarnet.com/metro/156250.php