PDA

View Full Version : requesting make up

noname
11-08-2006, 02:59 AM
Had a question about make up. The only thing I've worn is lip gloss. I've always wanted to have my eyes done, not sure why. From those with experience, what happens if you go to the cosmetics and ask for your eyes done. What is the reaction. FYI, a macs recently opened near by. I think part of me wanting it, is just to be treated as an equal.

Rita Knight
11-08-2006, 06:16 AM
H noname,
MAC is very expensive, but very trans friendly. If you are more afraid, I suggest that you go to a MAC store, if available, rather than a MAC counter in a department store. After all Ru Paul is a spokesmodel for them.

S. Lisa Smith
11-08-2006, 06:54 AM
Merle Norman can be CD friendly, call ahead. Go to the Mary Kay website, find reps near you and email them. I've had a makeover at Saporah, the Ulta near me is good also. They don't care, it's all about sales.

Adrienne Heels
11-08-2006, 07:44 AM
I have been to the Clinique counters at Bloomingdale's and Lord & Taylor, both in drab and dressed, for both makeovers and purchases, and have had no problems. All the SA's I have dealt with have been extremely professional

sue ellan
11-08-2006, 07:59 AM
i went to the clinique counter in drab at a yonkers store and both of the sa's were very professional and friendly. told that i'm a crossdresser. one of the sa asked if wore high heels? said yes. they didnot bat a eye. it's kind of expensive but i think it was well worth it. plan on going back and have them do eye make up for me. i would like to go back dressed en fem if i can just get up the courage. good luck in your adventrue.
sue ellan

life is like a roll of tp. the closer to the end the faster it goes.

JenniferR771
11-08-2006, 08:10 AM
It was so scary--I called ahead--but the girl at Merle Norman was helpful and professional. She said they do a few crossdresser makeovers every year. I asked if I could put on my dress and wig in her bathroom. Fine. She had me sit on a tall stool at the front of the store. Then she took my wig off to get fuller coverage. I was uncomfortable sitting there, when customers came in and she was interrupted while she sold them some cosmetics. When complete, I looked great and went shopping.
A year later I bought a blue dress at my favorite resale shop. Wore it out of shop with brown wig and heels, no makeup. I had talked to MAC counter at Lord and Taylor a week earlier, but had no appointment. Went to MAC counter, nervous--but had to kill an hour in mall until Adrienne was back from lunch. Walked around. A man, the Penny's greeter asked if he could help me find something. I said, in a deep voice, "Well how do I look?" he said something like, "Better from a distance." But he was pleasant and we talked.
Finally at MAC counter Adrienne went to work. In a few minutes they sat a lady down in the next stool. She was getting glue on lashes. I looked really nice. Hurried home to change before my wife got home from work.
Pics from the day are on Not so Traditional Ladies yahoo group.
jennifer

Kristen Marie
11-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Never thought of Mary Kay. I just went to their website and did a vitual makeover. It's wonderful

http://www.marykay.com

How does that (an appointment) work with them work? Do you go to them or them to you.

Karren H
11-08-2006, 09:15 AM
Never went to a counter or had a makeover before....have thought about it but really, really, really enjoy doing my own makeup...and playing with different looks!! I guess a makeover might me fun but unless you acquire the skills via practicing yourself then you won't be able to recreate that look yourself... Just the way I feel I guess...

Love Karren

Kristen Marie
11-08-2006, 10:01 AM
Karren, you have many different and great looks. I really wish I was that good. I went to a big TG Fashion event in Massachusetts and attempted my own makeup. Fortunately, the lady who owns the specialty store I have my makeovers done was there. She quickly asked, who did my make-up? Proudly I said, me. Her next reponse was let me make a few adjustments. About 30 minutes later, the "small" adjustments were done. A humbling experience.

S. Lisa Smith
11-08-2006, 10:21 AM
Go to the area where you can find reps http://www.marykay.com/locator.aspx?tab=Home. Each one will have an email, just email them and ask.

noname
11-09-2006, 02:39 AM
Merle Norman can be CD friendly, call ahead. Go to the Mary Kay website, find reps near you and email them. I've had a makeover at Saporah, the Ulta near me is good also. They don't care, it's all about sales.

Funny you mention that. I out of town and walking past Saphora and they were doing free eye make overs. I wanted to try but my wife gave me the evil eye. Too bad they are over an hour away.

I don't really trust mary kay. I mean my sister does mary kay. I want someone who will have a pretty good idea what will work for me and what won't.

When you get make over are you expected to buy something. It's one thing to see it on in the store, and after the make over I maybe uncertain.

Say, anyone know what they do for people like me with sparse short lashes other than glue on, cause those are out of the question for me.