PDA

View Full Version : Therapy en femme

Shannon CD
11-09-2006, 01:55 AM
I just got back from an appointment I had with a counselor I started seeing during my failed relationship. She has known about me dressing and had even let me change for my last appointment. (she gave me privacy, of course)

This time I decided I would just go ahead and go there already dressed. It turned out to be a very good session. She complimented me on how well I was handling the breakup and how I was turning negative situations into positive (paraphrasing here. she was actually more descriptive)

She also stated that she was impressed with how feminine I was and how natural it looked on me. There was a lot more to the session, but those were some of the highlights.

I think I done good tonight. :heehee:

Joni Beauman
11-09-2006, 02:07 AM
That does sound therapeutic. I would seek the same, but I fear I would only do it to find someone to agree being transgendered was OK. What if she had been less complimentary? Glad it worked out and hope this leads to more of same. Joni

tall_brianna
11-09-2006, 02:38 AM
That is awesome Shannon. I have my first session next week with someone who specializes in gender dysphoria. I'm nervous, because I've read elsewhere that they sometimes insist on seeing you in you most feminine presentation early on. That would mean a broad daylight excursion... wow.

-b

stacie
11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
I thought about it before. It might help unravel my brain a bit if I went as Stacie.

ophillia
11-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Went to my first session in a bra, panties, tank top, shorts and a pair of white keds. Therapist mad me feel completely at ease. Never blinked an eye when I walked in. Second session sleevless blouse, denim skirt, pantyhose and ballerina flats again very good session she has helped me understand that I'm not all that abnormal and I should be happy with myself. P.S. I am.

Tgirl74
11-09-2006, 02:08 PM
I saw a therapist for 3 yrs and I'd say more than half the time I was fully dressed.I usually wore a dress,bra ,gaff, panythose, low heels, full make up and wig.I saw her up until we started talking about hormones alot, thats when I freaked and stopped seeing her.I still think about calling her from time to time.

Jacinda

AmberTG
11-09-2006, 02:22 PM
Tgirl74, was the discussion of hormones something that went way past your comfort zone? Is that a direction you didn't want to go? You could always explain that to the therapist if they are pushing you in a direction that you are not ready, or willing, to go.

Theresa(TGirl)
11-09-2006, 02:25 PM
yeah, sometimes people just need to be aware that sometimes things can get a little past your (current) comfort zone.

Shannon CD
11-09-2006, 02:33 PM
That is awesome Shannon. I have my first session next week with someone who specializes in gender dysphoria. I'm nervous, because I've read elsewhere that they sometimes insist on seeing you in you most feminine presentation early on. That would mean a broad daylight excursion... wow.

-b

Brianna,

My appointment last night was at 8:15. With the sun going down so early this time of year I left when it was already dark. Is there any way that they could schedule you for an evening appointment?

Lisa Maren
11-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I have my second session with my therapist tomorrow afternoon. I find myself wondering if she will suggest that I test myself (for lack of a better phrase) -- or if, perhaps, I will make that suggestion -- and come to therapy dressed. I would probably be rather nervous, but I think I would do it -- and like it.

The only thing that's got me a bit concerned is that this therapist, while she's been a therapist for fifteen years, hasn't worked with very many "gender issue" clients. I figure I'll see how it goes. Frankly, it could conceivably be the case that I have already figured out my gender and I'm just looking to hear someone tell me it's okay to admit it and embrace it and live it -- and ideally help me tell my family in that case.

Nevertheless, there are two things that, I feel, make this therapist at least worth trying. After that first intake session, I feel that I have quite good rapport with her and that I feel safe, comfortable and free from judgment with her. Rapport is the most important part of therapy. The fact that I have good rapport with the therapist I'm seeing now probably means that my rapport would not be as good with another therapist. (Whenever you hit the target on the first try, the odds of hitting it again are much lower.)

The other thing is that there is a small parking lot behind the building, out of view from the busy street (read three lanes in both directions, with plenty of traffic) out front and that makes it a good, safe place to show up at therapy dressed if I should find myself doing that. If I want to venture outside my comfort zone, I can always take a walk up and down the street. There were no pedestrians around that I saw, and the premises looked very quiet at that time of the day and week. The parking lot isn't just isolated, either. The building feels just like a condo building with outdoor corridors and the doors to the "units" all face the parking lot. Even if I could get better experience elsewhere, some of the most important experience is probably that self-test of showing up at therapy. So, this handy convenience is something to consider.

While I am still “analyzing the therapist”, so to speak, I feel it’s the right thing for me to try it. However it turns out, I know of another (very experienced) therapist in my area who specializes in "gender issues" and is, in fact, transsexual herself. I will be contacting this therapist as a second opinion, at the very least (I would have tried her first if she was accepting the student discount I'm getting with my current therapist).

Sorry I’ve gone on for a bit!

Hugs,
Lisa

Tgirl74
11-09-2006, 06:57 PM
I was comfortable talking about hormones but I was at the point were if I wanted to start taking a small dose she would of been supportive.I got too nervous and decided not to go back.I wasn't sure how I would be able to deal with the changes hormones would bring to my life, relationship, job, family, you know stuff like that.

Jacinda

MJ
11-09-2006, 07:41 PM
hi there
i had to see my therapist and she wanted to see me dressed. after mj first visit she wanted me to show up dressed all the time she helped me in so many ways i should go back and thank her

Shannon CD
11-09-2006, 11:30 PM
My therapist has been very supportive from the beginning. I think I was her first CD, but she must have had some education on the subject as she was very reassuring from the beginning that this was normal.

BTW, I told her about this site and she said it sounded like a very positive place for me to seek advice and support. Thought evryone would like to know that.