PDA

View Full Version : Buying Shoes in Drab

Kristen Marie
11-09-2006, 09:52 PM
I have been so motivated by all the incredible and positive Sales Associate stories that have been posted, that I decided it was time to get a new pair of shoes and be a tad bolder than in the past. To set the stage, I was not dressed, but was in my typical blue blazer, polo shirt, etc.

Payless Shoes is an easy place to shop at as sthe hoe size signs are very large and the products very easy to access. A very nice, cute, mid-30's lady was working up front. This is good. We made immediate eye contact and she welcomed me to the store.

I found exactly the strap shoes with the 2" heel I wanted in size 12...the 11's were just a bit snug. I brought the shoes in the box to the register, she opened the box, saw the ladies shoes, checked the size, and discreetly closed the box. Once closed we chatted a bit about nothing and I said the shoes are just perfect. She then leaned forward as she passed me the box, smiled, and quietly said, "enjoy them this evening", and she really meant it.

I am going back to that store again. She made me feel good about my purchase and about being me. A good day!

Adrienne Heels
11-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Kristen, that is great!! I have found the SA's at Nine West to be very helpful and friendly as well!

Theresa(TGirl)
11-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Sounds like you had a good time, and the "Hope you enjoy them" part probably was icing on the cake.

But one thing that has been bugging me, what exactly does 'drab' mean, weraing women's underwear under men's clothes? or blending them? or what?

Adrienne Heels
11-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Drab means dressed in guy mode..at least on the outside

Theresa(TGirl)
11-09-2006, 09:58 PM
oh thanks, i did a google for it, and all i could find was stuff about "not interesting" or the similar.

Kristi1948
11-09-2006, 10:08 PM
WTG Kristen, I have only had the guts to do that 1 time about 10 years ago with my wife. I tried them on "real quick" took about 2/3 steps, sat back down and put my male shoes back on. I hadn't noticed that the aisle we were on could be seen from the register. When we checked out the sales girl asked very quietly and smiling "will you be needing any hose today". My wife took over and said no we just stocked up at the mall.

Kristen Marie
11-09-2006, 11:10 PM
You are so right Kristi. The Payless Stores aisles are wide open and really have very little space for privacy. In this store in Waltham the large women's sizes are dead in the middle so it's in plain view of the register. She knew what I was doing and had a sweet response for when I left.

Kristen Kelly
11-10-2006, 12:27 AM
WTG girl, Dont ever be afraid to try something on. I have gotten bolder as confort level shopping in drab is now second nature. I was out shopping with my GF for a coat for her, found this lovely Leopard print coat with a fur collar, tried it on in a very busy Macy, I didn't even notice the people around me. I had to try it on, and look in the mirror. I loved it and after I bought it my girl told me I got a few looks from the husbands shopping with the wives, but most women didn't even bat and eye.

suchacutie
11-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I have always been treated well in Payless. In one store a sales lady asked if the shoes were for me as I was trying them on. She clearly was much more worried about making the sale than any other consideration, and seemed to realize that treating us well (I was in drab) makes a positive impression. I am size 11 or 12, so often the shoes abutt the size 10/11 mens shoes, but I've never needed that crutch.

Tina

Theresa(TGirl)
11-10-2006, 12:39 AM
WTG girl, Dont ever be afraid to try something on. I have gotten bolder as confort level shopping in drab is now second nature. I was out shopping with my GF for a coat for her, found this lovely Leopard print coat with a fur collar, tried it on in a very busy Macy, I didn't even notice the people around me. I had to try it on, and look in the mirror. I loved it and after I bought it my girl told me I got a few looks from the husbands shopping with the wives, but most women didn't even bat and eye.

it probably goes back to the male urge to reproduce, and seeing someone they know may not be wanting to reproduce kills them...:2c:

Susan.Boots
11-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Now why doesn't Pay Less carry size 14 for the rest of us?

Billijo49504
11-10-2006, 01:22 AM
Great, But my SA at Payless asked if I was interested in a matching purse to go with the boots I bought.:heehee: >>>BJ

suanne
11-10-2006, 01:36 AM
Yep... got to agree about Payless. I bought a pair and took them to the register and the SA told me that I could get a second pair of shoes for 1/2 price so I went back and got a second pair. Great shoes at a great price.

Suanne

AmberTG
11-10-2006, 01:52 AM
I'll go with that, I talked to a very nice young woman SA at the local Payless a couple days ago about boot styles and what to wear them with while shopping for a pair of woman's short heel shoes. We agreed that fancy boots shouldn't be worn under pants, it just hides the style of the boot.

Katelyn
11-10-2006, 05:56 AM
I've only bought a pair of heels alone at Dillards. They are Mudd Strappy sandals. I was very nervous.

Phyliss
11-10-2006, 06:18 AM
The first time i went into Pay Less to buy "shoes" the S.A. lead me to the mens section and i quietly said to her, "Wrong section" All she said was, "O.K. follow me" and that was it. ended up buying two pair and a matching hand bag.
I've been back a number of time with no problem what so ever. All the girls ther now know me and know what styles I'm looking for. Even with other customers around I haven't had a single problem.

About two months ago I spotted a nice pair of boots with a 3" heel that I just HAD to have. As I was trying them on and walking around a bit to get the "feel" for them a mother and her teenage daughter were looking for shoes and the young girl commented that they were nice boots. I thanked her and mentioned that I could walk very well in them and proceeded to show her. She mentioned that she was quite impressed with my choice and ability. I thanked her for the compliment.

SherriePall
11-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Having tried on shoes en drab several times, I can vouch for SAs not caring what shoes you buy. I have been to Payless several times and to Famous Footwear a couple. You just have to ask yourself, why does Payless have all those size 11 and 12's in the women's section. I asked once and the girl just smiled. (Not for me, I'm usually a 9 1/2.)

J-Girl
11-10-2006, 11:55 AM
I love Payless!. The SA is always nice and doesn't seem to care I'm a guy buying women's shoes. I always try to shop when they have BOGO (Buyone get one). The styles don't always thrill me, but I can usually find something I like.

One time the store didn't have the size in the style I wanted, so the SA printed up a coupon for $2.00 off and found a store that had what I wanted.

Jen

Gisele
11-10-2006, 01:07 PM
WTG from me too!

jjjjohanne
11-10-2006, 01:25 PM
My every visit to payless has been very friendly. My least friendly visit was when the SA was a ~19 year old guy. He just didn't come to help me. I love how payless shoes are sorted so that women's big shoes are by the men's shoes of the same size. I can walk to that aisle and I am not out of place. However, I hate how sometimes there are men there too. Men stress me out! Once or twice, however, I have gone to the aisle and started shopping for me and even trying on, I think, while a man and woman were shopping for him.

People often don't pay you any attention. Sometimes, I don't think they ever realize what other shoppers are doing around them. That's how pick-pockets make their living, I suppose!

Joe

tracylin
11-10-2006, 02:02 PM
I went to payless I also found them to be very helpfull I bought a boot with a 2 1/2 in heel I will buy more shoes from there
:thumbsup: :cheeky:

Tracylin

Ranee Daze
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Congrats on making what I know that it is just a first step. I know that there are many here in locked in "the closet". I know that there are many here who would never go out...

BUT....

Once you get your image down pat and you take that bold step to doing things in femme mode, ie: buying shoes, getting makeovers, getting your hair done. etc. etc. your world will open up alot more and you will have the real fun that is awaiting you.

Go boldy, where many men have gone before! Make it so!

myMichelle
11-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Payless is indeed a wonderful source for those of us who wear size 11, 12, and occasionally even 13. There are bunches of Payless shoe stores in my area, and several of the managers know me...it really makes no difference whether I'm in drag or enfemme, it's always a pleasure shopping there. Also, it's always a very special treat when you get to stand there, right next to a GG who is also trying on/looking at the very same size shoes as you. I once had an awesome casual conversation w/ a GG while we both looked at shoes.

Kristen Marie
11-10-2006, 08:46 PM
There was a thread saying a girl cannot have enough shoes. I went and tested that premise by going to another Payless today...they seemed to be everywhere. I found a great pair, black with 4" heel shoe in 12W. Perfect for my new jeans. Most of the regular 12's were simply too narrow.

After trying nearly all of the 12's (and I was in drab), I brought my final selection to the cashier/greeter. She smiled because she had seem me down the end of the aisle. I smiled back and said that I wish their were more selections in 12W. The regular 12's were just too narrow. We spoke for about 5 minutes about shoes, which is really a long time. She ended with I hope you enjoy them and please come back. I, of course said, I definitely will. This is fun, not embarrassing!

Do I need another pair of shoes tomorrow???

Eileen
11-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Kristen you may not need another pair of shoes tomorrow, but I am sure you will very soon. I check out the selection often at Pay Less and quite often find a pair I really need. It is so nice to shop in a store where the SA's are so nice. It is great for us and for them. We get treated like the woman we are and they make a sale and are guaranteed that we will be back.

Eileen

TeriAnn
11-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Yep... got to agree about Payless. I bought a pair and took them to the register and the SA told me that I could get a second pair of shoes for 1/2 price so I went back and got a second pair. Great shoes at a great price.

Suanne

very same thing happened to me. Just didn't buy the secound pair.,

Kandi
11-10-2006, 09:21 PM
yes yes payless is the best, If it wer'nt fer payless I'd have no shoes at all

wildgal
11-10-2006, 09:25 PM
now that my life has mellowed out a bit, i decided to treat myself to a new pair of shoes, so i headed out to DSW at the Mall of America after work, i have been there before, but i forgot just how large that place is. HUGE i say, a shopping girls dream store IMO. any ways I didnt want to spend a fortune so i searched the clearance isle in back and its just packed with larger size shoes, (im a 10 or so, depends on the brand/style) so i picked out 2 pair at half price each, and when i got to the register, only one lane was open, and it was a girl helping a new male employee, she said "wow, what a nice selection!!" uh oh, oops,hehe. he just looked at me but i didnt care, never do really, and if anyone ever gives me a hard time, ill go tell the manager i was discriminated against. but she was really nice!!! anyways i just said yeah thanks and left, quite embarrased. but happy none the less....:happy:

DAVIDA
11-10-2006, 10:10 PM
DID SOMEBODY SAY SHOES?
I just love shoes!
Payless is one of my favorite shoe stores. And just love BOGO! I have shopped Payless for a long time and have seen the quality and styles improve over the years. Plus I can have more shoes if they cost less.
The SA's are always nice. They know that I will more than likely buy at least one pair. Not always for me though. I get Jean shoes a lot too! There can be benefits to being married to a CD!:heehee:

Sierra Evon
11-10-2006, 10:31 PM
I recently bought a pair of my only style I love soo much at JC Penney
Black Mary-Janes low heel , and another pair that was the T-strap
style gives me a very sweet babydoll look , very gurly,girl....thats my
style, yep the shoes are very important, accessory. soo much fun,
love to hear more .........

Sweet Susan
11-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I usually buy my shoes at the Nordstrom Rack. It is very intimidating, but they have such good bargains, that I can't resist.

Kristen Marie
11-11-2006, 07:46 AM
There are no Nordstroms in Massacusetts :sad: And trying them on is such fun. They have a great on-line site, but it's not the same.

Adrienne Heels
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Kristen, there is one in Providence Place

Kimkandy
11-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I've bought boots on-line. I'm UK size 8 or US size 10.

Maybe I will try shopping in town. I live in London. Lots of shoe shops in Oxford Street or Kings Road.

I did buy some boots from Carnaby Street, but that was along time ago.

Kim

Vash
11-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Kristen, that is great!! I have found the SA's at Nine West to be very helpful and friendly as well!

Yeah I second that. I bought a pair of nice boots at nine west once. In fact it was the only time I ever went "shoe shopping". The SA was very nice and even suggested I get an even higher heel than the one I was looking at. The great benefit, The shoes FIT great. I am going to have to bold-up and do again because I am tired of shoes that fit "just OK"

carol anne
11-11-2006, 04:22 PM
:love: Kristen and all the others who replied. I too am in love with Payless. All of the clerks I have encountered are vot only helpful but friendly and understanding. I seldom go in unless I'm dressed but if there is nothing I am always told that new stock arrives often. I need 12W so Payless is an oasis for me. I don't know if other customers recognize me but the clerks do.
carol

Eugenie
11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
I have always been treated well in Payless. Tina

Same experience with Payless, both in Canada and in NY city. Friendly sales attendants ready to help a customer. Not looking what clothes I was wearing while trying on high heel shoes.

I'd be hesitant to try that in a French shoe store ( I' French and I live in France...)
:hugs:
Eugenie