PDA

View Full Version : Dr Phil update

MJ
11-10-2006, 09:55 PM
hi girls
well i have decided to send Dr Phil a thank you letter and my story and pictures .. but i have to Waite until my passport and permanent resident card is change over next year now.. or i wont get back into Canada :eek:

so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better ..

This is important because .I feel we are misunderstood and i want to set him straight ...as i am not afraid to go on television ... after all i am out and loving it ..manny of you can't but i can try for all of us after all someone has too ..
my friends can tell you ..i would do the best i can .

but my question to you all is this in regards to your S.O . just for my understanding :-
would you go on television with your S.O and come out to the world ..if it meant a better relationship with her. and got your loving and intimacy back in your life. and an all round better and healthy life together ?..
sorry got you all thinking again

DAVIDA
11-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Not in drag or drab!

dann
11-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Mabye I'm not up on current events, but what is Dr. Phil's stance on CD's?
Did I miss something?

Krystenw
11-10-2006, 10:53 PM
Shopping with my wife, in a second.
National TV, I don't think so.

tall_brianna
11-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Tell him to shut his pie hole and read some research material like a real doctor would before he opens it again. Some of his episodes in the past on TG issues have shown nothing but ignorance, contempt and loathing for our sort.

Sorry MJ, I'm a huge fan of yours and I'll tune in to watch, but just know that I'm screaming, "Punch his lights out" to the screen at the first offhand quip he delivers. :)

Okay, let me get the emotions under check.... Since he doesn't have the time between speaking to read the stuff... Okay... Top 3 (in no order):

1. no link to sexual preference - many, if not most, appear to be heterosexual

2. not a sexual perversion - since some of us started 6-7 years before puberty that kind of rules that out.

3. not a function of nurture or genetics - most likely natal

And the most important thing, that we are genuinely sweet and lovable people, he will undoubtedly see in his guest.

-b

GG Vanya
11-10-2006, 11:12 PM
hi girls
well i have decided to send Dr Phil a thank you letter and my story and pictures .. but i have to Waite until my passport and permanent resident card is change over next year now.. or i wont get back into Canada :eek:

so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better ..This is important because .I feel we are misunderstood and i want to set him straight ...as i am not afraid to go on television ... after all i am out and loving it ..manny of you can't but i can try for all of us after all someone has too ..
my friends can tell you ..i would do the best i can .

but my question to you all is this in regards to your S.O . just for my understanding :-
would you go on television with your S.O and come out to the world ..if it meant a better relationship with her. and got your loving and intimacy back in your life. and an all round better and healthy life together ?..
sorry got you all thinking again

Well I've already spoken my opinion about phil and his position on crossdressers. He can eat poop and croak as far as I'm concerned.

Now, having gotten that off my chest:

1. Sending him your letter is not an immediate assurance that he'll even have you as a guest.

2. While I know you mean well, you'd fare better *if* you are invited, to address the issues and concerns of a transexual since that is your "journey" and your first hand experience. And please make an effort to distinguish between CDs and TSs for the benefit of the unknowing general public.

3. And *if* you can get a word in edge wise with the know it all, find a chance to state clearly that people who are dual gendered are not freaks or perverts and crossdressers do not dress *only* for sexual gratification. (which btw, was his assertion on a previous show about a woman married to a CD~ he called the poor man via telephone during the show and blasted him, then advised the woman to divorce him immediately)

4. :devil: you can also tell him *I* said I'll take my crossdressing husband over *him* any day!

ColleenCD
11-10-2006, 11:20 PM
MJ,

As we have discussed, Dr. Phil has not been a fan of the Transgendered Community in the past. If his people do contact you for the show, you need to provide the information in advance for him and his producers. Then when taping occurs, he is without excuse for ignorance.

As he goes negative for the contraversy angle, stay positive. He'll try to bring out the worst in you to crack you. Expect that he'll have a few "experts" from the medical community to refute any positive information offered. Your background and your own medical experts should back you up sufficiently.

You have a year to prepare. We appreciate your willingness my friend, let's see what they do.:happy:

Colleen

melissacd
11-10-2006, 11:25 PM
As I mentioned in our chat before when I read Dr. Phils first book before he became popular I found some of his ideas compelling. Once he became a celebrity something changed and he started reflecting much of the fundmentalist views of America. Anything I saw where he talked about transgenderism made it seem as though he saw it as something to be cured, corrected, and that bothered me deeply.

Now I know from chatting with you that there are a wider range of reasons that you want to do this and I applaud your courage and commitment to want to present a positive image on your journey and our community. I feel that all of us need to become positive advocates for our cause so that the population at large will start to understand who we really are.

I am excited for you and I hope that this works out well and you achieve what you aim to achieve. I too am a big fan of yours and I believe that through our friendship you are helping me to come further out of my shell and so would I be able to go on national TV and tell my story, by myself perhaps by next year yes, with my spouse, that I know will never happen.

Who knows maybe by the time you do this I will be ready to join you on stage representing a positive spin on transgenderism :)

Stephanie Miller
11-10-2006, 11:51 PM
MJ,
I mean no disrespect, but I would tend to think that if you have to ask us "so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better" - then maybe your not the person that should be going up against him. Or should I say go up against them. THEM being him and his team. His team that are going to find out anything they can to discredit you and every other CD out there to justify his stance on crossdressing. (however false it is). And if he can't do a bad enough job of it, then his editing crew will leave the best you have to offer on the film editing floor - in order to finish the job.There are far better people than a lot of us that are better prepared to fight this fight. I applaud yours and everyone elses desire to take a stand. But I don't know about you, but I would rather take a bazooka to a gun fight rather than a knife. Lets look for and cheer on the "bazooka". :clap:
Stephanie

Shannon CD
11-11-2006, 12:06 AM
MJ,
I mean no disrespect, but I would tend to think that if you have to ask us "so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better" - then maybe your not the person that should be going up against him. Or should I say go up against them. THEM being him and his team. His team that are going to find out anything they can to discredit you and every other CD out there to justify his stance on crossdressing. (however false it is). And if he can't do a bad enough job of it, then his editing crew will leave the best you have to offer on the film editing floor - in order to finish the job.There are far better people than a lot of us that are better prepared to fight this fight. I applaud yours and everyone elses desire to take a stand. But I don't know about you, but I would rather take a bazooka to a gun fight rather than a knife. Lets look for and cheer on the "bazooka". :clap:
Stephanie

With all due respect, Stephanie, I think that MJ is looking to us to be HER team, which is why she's asking for our input. This would be part of her research and I applaud the fact that she wants to make as accurate a representation of the TG world as possible, and not simply attempt to speak for all of us based solely on her experience and perspective. I would be far more nervous having an "expert" who thinks they have all of the answers but did not bother to ask any of us what our opinions are.

just my :2c:

Amy Hepker
11-11-2006, 12:08 AM
I agree with Stephanie, They would do anything they could to make him look right and us all wrong especially since he is working with that Singles meeting deal (I can't even remember which one it is right now). They are not going to let you or anyone else discredit him, so your attempts would be futal to say the least. He will never back down he has made his stand and will stick to it. It's to bad there are people like him in this world, maybe he is a Crossdresser to and don't want anyone to find out that he's not all man.(Ha Ha) Wouldn't that be great to have pictures of him in a dress and show them on another show. Ah You'ld be sued for sure, they would say they were touched up or something. Face it Ladies we are never going to get the recognition we deserve. Oh, I'm not saying give up, we just need to go about it in another direction. But, don't ask me how, I'm just a dumb Female inside.

GG Vanya
11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
MJ

I need to preface this by saying I in no way mean any disrespect and hopefully you don't take this offensively.

I'm wondering about your motives for appearing on his show. So many have told you about his negativity concerning transgenderism but you still want to walk into that ambush.

The following is your post from the "has your CDing caused divorce":

we talked about this Sunday .. i feel for you and you know my heart goes out to you. and every one else who is going through this heartace . now while you stay under the same roof you have a chance to help her understand you and i hope you do .. just give it more time Hun ..you are not alone here in this matter .i am sure you well see similar post just take the advice and if you find it sound when you are ready act on it...
i wish i could say something here.. but the one i truly loved ask me to leave within 5 days of finding out .. and outed me to our church.. however revenge is sweet and this time next year. we will be a same sex couple.. and i am sending Christmas cards with copy's of my srs to all church members.. now it her turn to know what it feels like i am so living for that day ...hugs mj__________________
*Hugs* Marissa

I'm wondering if this is a part of your motive? If so, *please* reconsider. Yes I agree that what your ex did was absolutely wrong. However, two wrongs won't make it right. If your desire to appear on phil's show is because you wish to embarrass your ex, I'm opposed to that. Revenge is over rated.

MJ
11-11-2006, 12:27 AM
MJ,

I mean no disrespect, but I would tend to think that if you have to ask us "so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better" - then maybe your not the person that should be going up against him. Or should I say go up against them. THEM being him and his team.
His team that are going to find out anything they can to discredit you and every other CD out there to justify his stance on crossdressing. (however false it is). And if he can't do a bad enough job of it, then his editing crew will leave the best you have to offer on the film editing floor - in order to finish the job.There are far better people than a lot of us that are better prepared to fight this fight. I applaud yours and everyone elses desire to take a stand. But I don't know about you, but I would rather take a bazooka to a gun fight rather than a knife. Lets look for and cheer on the "bazooka". :clap:
Stephanie
hi Stephanie
thank you for your reply. i have worked in the television industry and and i am familiar with the crap that goes on..first it is thanks to him that i came out. and second it is thanks to him that i lost 123 pounds on his weight loss challenge so in some way i owe him a thank you
And out of respect for my friends here .. you all get a say should i go on his show.. not that it will happen..
and in my cover letter is were i will tell him what i and you all think of him i too was mad at how he see and views us..
think about it on one hand he gets a pat on the back for his weight loss challenge
on the other hand i am a thorn in his side because he made me see the real me.. Marissa as ts you can't cut that out on the editing floor !!! how will it go thank you Dr Phil for helping me see my true self your book relay help me if you were him how can you answer that ?
and in my cover letter at the end i will tell how i feel i may not be show material but it is thanks to you . you made me who i am today :tongueout
so you see even if i get a chance to go i still may not this is just a letter
and hell if you don't think i am up to the task why don't you come with me :D

serinalynn
11-11-2006, 12:30 AM
I do not have a liking for DR Phil as I have seen a few of his shows and I have my own opinion about him that i won't make public in this forum.

I wear clothing I feel comfortable in and if I have to buy these clothes in a ladies clothing store then I will. I do not particullay care what anyone else thinks about what I wear. I think we all CD because we like doing it. Some do it full time 24/7. What ever the reason, We all come here to this forum for the friendship and support that we all need. Irregardless what DR Phil or anyone else thinks. Its indeed gratifing that you all like to CD.

I started well before computers and the internet when you really did feel like you were alone CDing. Having read many of the threads in this forum, I have discovered that many were near my age and your feelings are similar to my own.

Stephenie S
11-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Please remember that The Dr Phil show is entertainment. Entertainment with the sole purpose of selling advertising. In NO way is it good psychology. Dr Phil has some good ideas on a lot of things, but it is ALL about selling ads.

If the people who run his show think you will sell ads, you will get on the show. Otherwise, forget about it.

Lovies,
Steph

MJ
11-11-2006, 01:47 AM
hi Vanya

i keep my battles separate . in regards to my still wife if only she would sit down and talk to me a lot of heart ace would go away she will never see this thread but hell i will say it here since you seem to stick up for the gg in these matters so you can be my SO ..` I am so sorry that i hurt you. i had no intentions of doing that. i wish to god you would have given me a chance to talk to you. but you never gave me a chance do you know how much i love you.. and i would have moved heaven and earth to be with you. and done anything to stay with you. you never gave me a chance after 20 years.. i know it's over between us. but please could you stop putting me down saying things that are not true .. try and respect me and i will respect you .. oh and the kids you must understand due to the effects of hrt i no longer look like there dad and can't see them as such don't hold them against me i wish you all the best i relay do.. lets try and sort this out please... ; if only she would talk to me but she won't see me as Marissa. so nothing has change it's so sad ..
any how i doubt i will do the Dr Phil show the letter should do the trick then he can add another ts cd tv or whatever he thinks of us in his file
Vanya i am sorry.. i mean no offense to anyone. i must learn to forgive and forget and move on ... sorry about my rant forgive me...
you are wize i need to be humble a little :happy:

GG Vanya
11-11-2006, 01:55 AM
MJ,

I wasn't "sticking up for the gg in this matter". I clearly stated that what she did/is doing is absolutely wrong.

I just know from my own life experiences that seeking revenge can be like a cancer. I've known that desire for payback. Thankfully I wised up and let it go. The only way you can move forward and be happy is to forgive, even if that person doesn't deserve it.

Sweet Susan
11-11-2006, 01:59 AM
I would never go on television. American television, Canadian television, English television, or an of the rest of them. They are ALL out for ratings. If you want to go on and have them have their time with you, that is your business. I will have none of it. I don't trust them, and I don't understand how you can trust them. Journalism is not journalism, anymore. It is all about bashing.

noname
11-11-2006, 03:55 AM
"so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better .."

No offense, but do you really think he's open to learning? From what I've seen of him, he's got to a know it all with all the answers. Admitting he doesn't know something would put a flaw in his credibility.

in my personal opinion, the guy isn't a doc, he's a stage show performer.

Can someone clue me in to what his opinion is on cd'ing?

** edit: add on after doing some searching

Well, it turns out Dr. Phil told a women who discovered her husband had cd tendancies that she needed to leave him dispite they had 3 kids together. From what I read he called her husband and yelled at him on the phone for being dishonest.

Seems dr phil is a work of art, and certainly not deserving of any respect.

Kate Simmons
11-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Forget Dr. Phil. Even if you are a novice, you have more knowledge of CDing than that idiot. Just because he's a Doctor doesn't mean he knows everything. I hate "know it alls" anyway. People who hold celebrities like him in awe are just plain clueless. You want to talk about authority? The foremost authorities on crossdressing on this planet are the members of this forum. Mostly from hard experience in the "field" and theories and statistics be damned in my opinion. Take it from people who know. I'd put my "money" on them any day.:happy: Ericka/Rich

MJ
11-11-2006, 09:00 AM
OK thank you all i understand and you have made me see the light ..
i am grateful for his advice and the kick in the ass he gave me.. and be thankful for that .
i am not afraid of him .. but it might be best to leave well alone...
it feels like we all still have to hide our-self's.. i find that sad but it is for the best and we will still be misunderstood i guess thats life.. thank you..

suzy
11-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Nope... no TV for this cowboy....errrr... cowgirl...:D

melissacd
11-11-2006, 09:54 AM
MJ,

I feel that what you want to do is admirable and I support whatever direction you choose to go on this. Since you have mentioned about the other motive being about how he helped motivate you to lose the weight now I can create a more complete response. I do realize that to some degree there is a motive to show the world (your ex wife) your success both in terms of your weight loss and your progress with your transgenderism. I know that you also want to put a positive spin on this community. After what you have been through I know that you are strong enough to tough it out with Dr. Phil.

I think that the connection of weight loss and transgenderism is an interesting connection between two areas that he has an interest in and I think there is a good chance that that would be enough to give you a high chance of getting on the show.

It does not change the fact that I have grown to dislike Dr. Phil and it also does not change the fact that I am a supporter of this cause of yours whatever you choose to do. I am proud to know a person who has struggled and worked her way through such extraordinary challenges. You are an inspiration to me and hopefully an inspiration to others within this community as well.

I do agree that Dr. Phil (and his team) will be a very tough challenge and I do agree that they will do whatever to make their point the dominant one whatever that should be. It is about his ego, about showing he is right and everyone else is wrong. It is about showmanship and about the popular (not correct) view on transgenderism. So while I think what you want to do has an essence of the brilliant in it ( the combination of the weight loss thing and the transgender thing) it is fraught with risk. The question is are you up for the challenge (I think you are) and is it worth doing it in that forum (I am not so sure).

Now this does not diminish the need for more of us to get out there and do our best to put a positive spin on what we do. The more people see this side of us (whatever point on the spectrum we are at) as a perfectly normal thing, just another aspect of what it means to be human, the better it will be for those who follow. This is true of all things that were once considered bad and are now considered okay. It takes time for society to get past it prejudices and over time it will be okay enough. I am already seeing that start to happen to some extent where we live in the world.

I do not like Dr. Phil, I do not agree with much of what he says these days, I do not feel that he represents anything more than being a celebrity and making people lots of money, but that is what he is paid for and he has a right to his own beliefs whatever they may be.

On the other hand I am happy that some aspect of Dr. Phil helped you lose weight and come into your own with your gender journey. To that end there is some good from what he has done. He has not made you who you are but something in him sparked something in you that acted as a catalyst to bring out the beautiful person that you are. That is a good thing.

I also know from chatting with you and reading your posts that you are respecting Dr. Phil for the motivation that he gave you to lose the weight and become the real you while at the same time you recognize his less than positive stance on cross dressing.

A long winded response to say that whatever I feel about Dr. Phil is irrelevant, because this is really about saying that I am proud of what you have achieved and I support you whichever direction you choose. You are a good person who is a wonderful positive advocate for a cause that I feel very strongly about.

Huggs
Melissa

Shelly Preston
11-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Hi MJ

It may be better to be on a more receptive show with a better host

By all means thank him by letter and if you decide to do a show you may even get the chance to upset him a little

How will he feel if you on with say Tyra Banks and she asks why you are not on his show
You can explain his animosity to the transgendered community

Dixie Darling
11-11-2006, 11:27 AM
MJ,

I truly admire what you want to do with regards to Dr. Phil and his program. I also agree with the majority of the other posters that he has chosen to remain totally uneducated about what crossdressing REALLY is. He's one of those types of people who, once he's established a precident in his own mind concerning any particular subject, will NOT change it since doing so would be admitting that he was wrong to begin with and he has no intentions of doing such a thing so any efforts to change his mind aren't going to be met with any success.

As a suggestion you might be better off considering trying to get a spot on Oprah's program. She seems to be a lot more open minded and TG friendly than Dr. Phill will EVER be. Add to that the fact that her viewing audience is larger and comprised of more GGs - many of whom are undoubtedly married to crossdressers - and the impact of a positive appearance on her program would be much more effective and would "target" those who need the information the most.

Dixie -- http://www.geocities.com/senorita_cd

AprilMae
11-11-2006, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't waste my time with any of those shows, Oprah included. They are all freakshows. But I do admire your wanting to do some educating, I hope it works out.

Audrey34
11-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Television is a damn freak show in itself. There are very few programs I would bother to watch. I can't even stand the way baseball games are broadcast on tv (extreme close-ups of the players faces, too many shots of the fans, etc). Dr(?) Phil in my opinion is a quack and a half. Having been in therapy for many years with a therapist and psychiatrist who are very understanding of my CDing and bondage fetish, I find Dr (?) Phil to be a throwback to the old days when men were put away in mental hospitals and given electro shock treatments to "cure" them of their "perversion".
-Audrey

AprilMae
11-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm with you on the baseball thing. FOX especially has ruined the game on television, especially during post season. It's become nothing but advertisements for one "Hit show on FOX" or another", along wiht the insufferable pregame crap, some no talent singing the National Anthem, slower and slower each time...ygh. Give me the old "Game of the Week", with Gowdy and Garagiola. And I also agree with you on the Quackdom of the TV charlatans passing themselves off as Drs and what not. Hell a lot of real life psychiatrisits and psychologists are quacks, in my opinion.

Isabel1970
11-11-2006, 01:51 PM
This is interesting. I've been having some counselling and wondered about telling my counsellor about my cross dressing. However, she is a big fan of Dr Phil (I'd never heard of him as I've never watched Oprah). I am thinking now if I should keep quiet or see someone else for counselling.

Christina Nicole
11-11-2006, 02:20 PM
I don't know this Dr. Phil; I rarely watch television. However, it seems from the posts that he is some type of television entertainer. It also seems like a lot of people are more than a little exercised about this Dr. Phil. Try to keep in mind, television is entertainment, especially in the U.S. Any resemblance to fact or truth is purely accidental. Facts may be included only if they do not detract from the entertainment value. Anyone looking for unbiased information from television is about 40 years too late.

Regards,
Christina Nicole

Niya W
11-11-2006, 03:12 PM
DR phill has said he does not understand CDing or like.

Even TV shows that try to be friendly some times misses the mark. Like when montel did a show about guwen arujio. THe show was calleda boy called guwen

lol yes he isthe worst

trannie T
11-11-2006, 03:12 PM
If I'm going to watch a daytime freak show I'll watch the one with the best freaks. Jerry!Jerry!Jerry!

Scotty
11-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Montel Williams is decent, just watched a show Friday that he did on male and female TG's. Very nicely done!!

Dr Phil is a joke, look at his website "This is for entertainment value only and no advice should be heeded" - or some such disclaimer.

Ashley in Virginia
11-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Dr. Phil is funny.

Michelia
11-11-2006, 04:15 PM
I do not watch TV and really do not know Dr. Phil.

I do appreciate you asking us, so I will make my recommendation.

You appear to be setting yourself up to be played up to make us all look bad. We all know this, but it may not be a total waste of time.

If you can remain sweet and nice the whole time, you can help our image against that of us commonly held by most.

In addition to challenging Mr. Phil to re-evaluate his position on crossdressing, which could be the most important (yet impossible) thing you can do, the following points need to be underscored:

We are for the most part, not freaks, but nice sweet people.

We can be good husbands, friends, and parents.

People, nor their children, have to be afraid of us.

A lot of suffering takes place behind closed doors because we are misunderstood and this suffering is exacerbated by people like HIM, that have no desire to understand.

Thanks,

Michelia

Joanie
11-11-2006, 05:45 PM
For some reason, never have liked Dr. Phil, something instinctively turned me off about him, perhaps it is his boring voice. Have hardly ever watched him but did here he had a big fit with Oprah over some type of endorsement or support she was supposed to lend but didn't come through on. Oh well, guess the good doctor could use some counseling.

Di
11-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I feel what you are thinking about doing is very brave...and I'll support you in whatever you decide.........I just have an uneasy feeling about it....afraid he will do anything to get his point across.....best wishes on whatever you decide.

Country girl
11-11-2006, 10:31 PM
+? Hey forgive me for butting in but someone please tell me if I'm wrong. :eek: I didn't think "Dr" Phil was really a Dr? I mean I used to watch the guy on TV and I thought Dr was just a title. Does he have a Doctorate degree from a college? Or has it just been bestowed upon him like say Bill Cosby? :tongueout If anyone knows for sure I'd really appreciate having the record set straight. No point giving this guy a title he is undeserving of! :devil:

Country Girl GG

CaptLex
11-11-2006, 11:03 PM
+? Hey forgive me for butting in but someone please tell me if I'm wrong. :eek: I didn't think "Dr" Phil was really a Dr? I mean I used to watch the guy on TV and I thought Dr was just a title. Does he have a Doctorate degree from a college? Or has it just been bestowed upon him like say Bill Cosby? :tongueout If anyone knows for sure I'd really appreciate having the record set straight. No point giving this guy a title he is undeserving of! :devil:
Yes, he really is - he's a psychiatrist. That doesn't mean he's open-minded about things necessarily. I do agree with some of the advice he's given some people, but he's not right about everything. I agree that when he first started he was better, but now he's definitely changed. I guess he's "gone Hollywood".

Country girl
11-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Yes, he really is - he's a psychiatrist. That doesn't mean he's open-minded about things necessarily. I do agree with some of the advice he's given some people, but he's not right about everything. I agree that when he first started he was better, but now he's definitely changed. I guess he's "gone Hollywood".

Well thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree that he has given some good advice in the past but he is so obviously biased and closed minded that he's not worth watching anymore. :hmph: He sure doesn't act like a psychiatrist.:lame: He acts more like a :joke: . I thought they were supposed to be receptive and HELPFUL to anyone and everyone no matter what. There are some very sick people in this world, but I don't see it as you gurls who enjoy CDing. It's not like y'all are hurting anyone. :gh:

Country Girl GG

ahardbodie
11-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Most doctors are typically closed minded, I know I am one.

suzy
11-12-2006, 01:10 AM
I'm not personally convinced that we have a need to explain anything about who we are to the world, especially through Dr. Phil. I tend to place that in the same category with those who find it necessary to push their religious beliefs on others. It can be offensive to some.

I believe that the best way to promote our lifestyle is to show it by example. By behaving modestly, patiently and appropriately. By living a good clean life and being good community members and leaders.

I'm not saying that we need to hide who we are and what we are about but by the same token, do we really have a duty to push it off onto others, who may not want to know? Those who are open minded will see us for who we are and may be more likely to accept us if we are more reserved rather than seen as being too pushy? :2c:

Bridget
11-12-2006, 05:19 PM
The media is a curious thing, and I'd be wary of going into it. I'm fourtunate enough to have this quarter a class with one of the leading experts on television, Darrel Hamamoto as a professor. Despite being a radical Asian-American Nationalist, he does have a lot of solid observations on network and cable television.

#1. It's all about the money
Television thrives on advertising dollars. As a result, television benefits from pandering to the desires and view of the watchers. As a result, television does not take the opinions of it's viewers lightly, and applies their desires to the media world and reflects it back at them. "The revloution will not be televised."

#2. Coded genderism
To borrow a concept from race roles in television, and apply it to gender and sexuality, Dr. Phil's opinions on transgender issues is not surprising. Rather than scorning and laughing at the transgendered individual, as was common at one time, now there is a coded genderist assault against us, that it's simply an issue that can be resolved with proper counseling and cured. Like the ethnicity argument on race, that immigrants and foreigners must be assimilated into the dominant culture to some degree, and have the differences ironed out, instead of expelling or killing them, so the argument that transgenderism (and homosexuality) are social problems that can be cured, instead of accepted.

#3. Media Oligopoly
Television is owned by only a handful of transnational media giants, which will stretch the truth to make sure their coffers stay full of the green stuff. Disney, for example, covered up the fact they hired many child molesters as mascots in Disneyland and Disneyworld, by canning the story from Disney owned networks. Likewise, if the owners or supporters of these companies have ties to religious groups or fundamentalist or conservative think-tanks, which many do, you will be hard pressed to find a program which doesn't reflect this view.

#4. There are few accidents, and nothing is insignificant
Millions of advertising dollars are on the line, so almost everything on the airwaves is carefully controlled to maintain the money flow. When "Boston Legal" shows a "transgendered" man being cured, by being shown how to be a "man", the plotline is by no means just a creative accident, but rather part of an approved agenda by the network. If you compare the views seen on network television with that seen on public access television prior to 9-11, there is a huge world of a difference.

On a separate note, it is worth noting that psychologists and psychiatrists are in the "ghetto of medicine". It's one of the least respected medical fields, mainly because it harbors more cranks than any other field, most notably those who bring up allegations of "satanic sexual assault" and "alien abduction" in every patient they find. It's difficult to objectively interpret the human mind, without coloring it with your own personal views.

Bridget
11-12-2006, 05:23 PM
If I'm going to watch a daytime freak show I'll watch the one with the best freaks. Jerry!Jerry!Jerry!

Of course, though Jerry Springer is the most blatant when it comes to mockery of crossdressers. They usually have some head shaved and overweight 40 year old wearing bras and panties; an image designed to create derision. Even though it may be glossed over with "touchy feely" talk of acceptance, the in studio audience holds the real view; laughing and jeering at the "freak".

Scotty
11-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Bridgette you hit it on the HEAD.

I was in a 5 minute spot here about a month ago for one of my sports/hobbies - they did WELL on it but also distorted it for their own benefit, but all in all it came out OK.

But, I'm an English major in my 3rd year right now, one of my classes was basically to point out what bias the media had - and how they distort things out of context to get you to believe one thing by visually preparing it for your mind.

If you are ever in doubt, turn the volume off on your TV and watch the news - ha! The flashes of images will astound you - a stabbing and they will show their anti-gun ag enda by flashing a gun etc etc.

It's all about the money. Except that 76% of all major news media voted Democrat in 1996 - no agenda there eh? Notice any POSITIVE republian news articles out in this past election - heck no, just "Scandals" that were created (or existed in minor form). MORE democrats took money from what's his name, but more Republians were paid HIGHER - so it was a MUTUAL scandal yet they pointed it at the Republican pa rty. Even Hillary Clinton took money from this guy!

Here's a funny one for ya, the majority of doctors in America are TIRED of hearing about "ask your doctor" in TV commrecials so they Lobby Congress..

Will CNN, CBS, NBC etc pull those ads? Heck no - they are being paid for by the biggest coffers in the industry!!!

Will congress pass a law prohibiting them when all the doctors lobby? Heck no, Congress is paid off (Donations) by that same industry (This is why meds are cheaper on the other side of both borders or in Thailand). So congress forces the price of meds to be cheaper, but yet my eye drops are $30 a bottle overseas, $100 here.......

We the sheeple...

</rant>

Joanie
11-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Well thanks for clearing that up for me. I agree that he has given some good advice in the past but he is so obviously biased and closed minded that he's not worth watching anymore. :hmph: He sure doesn't act like a psychiatrist.:lame: He acts more like a :joke: . I thought they were supposed to be receptive and HELPFUL to anyone and everyone no matter what. There are some very sick people in this world, but I don't see it as you gurls who enjoy CDing. It's not like y'all are hurting anyone. :gh:

Country Girl GG

Country Girl,

Thank you for your kind affirmation. You said it--we aren't after hurting anyone, so the Dr. Phil's of the world need to look elsewhere.

Sophia Rearen
11-13-2006, 11:51 AM
hi girls

so what do you think i should tell him about our cding that would help him understand us better ..

This is important because .I feel we are misunderstood and i want to set him straight

MJ,
Dr. Phil's show is so edited you would never get your position accurately stated. Watch the show, notice the editing. You may speak your point elloquently, but they would, for effect, chop it up so bad that Dr. Phil would come across as a TG savior and you, some sort of lost soul who fortunately read Dr. Phil's weight loss book.

LaFem
11-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Dr. Phil is a shill and a huckster. Don't have anything to do with him. He is not sympathetic or sincere about anything. He will only embarrass you. He uses people and will do anything to fatten his wallet and ratings.

nancigirl
11-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi! I have not posted to this forum previously. But i feel compelled to get involved in the discussion of the 'evil Dr. Phil.' Yes, he has a legitimate doctoral degree from an accredited program in clinical psychology (not in psychiatry as someone else suggested.)
I am very sorry to report this fact because, as a clinical psychologist myself, I think that Dr. Phil is one of the worst imaginable 'representatives' of this profession.
His confrontational style and failure to educate himself on certain issues (particulary cd/tg/ts issues!) do not do justice to this otherwise honorable profession.
I have seen more learned and sympathetic treatment of t-issues and t-people on the Oprah show and even on the Tyra Banks show! Dr. Phil should rank near the bottom of all television talk shows ever. However, my wife loves to watch Dr. Phil, and so far i have been unable to change her mind. Oh well....

Nancy

janedoe311
11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Dr Phil is an antagonist. He has to be, because that gets RATINGS. His show is just a Tabloid talk show, like Oprah, Jerry Springer, and Tyra Banks (gorgeous lady, would not mind being her) etc.

If they put you on their show, it will to make fun of you and “prove his point(s)”. He is an expert at pushing buttons, you have no chance.

You remember on "The Jenny Jones Show" when they had a homosexual man make a pass at a heterosexual on stage? The poor guy ran off the stage in shame. Then the dummy homosexual not being content with humiliating this guy in front of millions, went by this guys house with flowers, knocked on the door and was promptly greeted by a 12 gauge shotgun!

Fortunately the show was found to be liable for this guy death in a wrongful-death lawsuit. (Not first or second degree murder as I hoped). Death my stupidly as I see it (both the producer and the homosexual man). (Why do homosexual men make repeated pass at heterosexual men, knowing that they can get killed with this behavior?) The producer thought it was cute, that was part of their defense! FYI the heterosexual man was labeled “mentally Ill” and his first conviction was thrown out.

http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9905/07/talk.show.slaying.03/index.html

You know the producers of Jenny Jones, expected fireworks with this pairing. Even with a normal non-homophobic, the end would not be nice. (I have no doubt they would have preferred a fist fight on stage instead of him just storming off, must have been disappointing.) Not to mention embarrassing someone in front of a TV audience shows no ethics or compassion.

But it gets rating and that is what Dr Phil is about. (It shows how little of importance some doctors have of the Hippocratic Oath; it is just all about money.

Do not take Dr Phil seriously. It is likely that his producers have nearly or complete control on the content (guests and subject) of his show. Dr Phil, no doubt has readers of all the letters he gets, before he sees them. So it is not likely he will see your letter, especially if the producer is also anti transsexual, ie (show them in a good light).

It is unlikely Dr Phil does or does has not seen the facts on gender confusion, ie TG, crossdressing etc.

So if you think you will enlighten him it will not.

janedoe311
11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi! I have not posted to this forum previously. But i feel compelled to get involved in the discussion of the 'evil Dr. Phil.' Yes, he has a legitimate doctoral degree from an accredited program in clinical psychology (not in psychiatry as someone else suggested.)
I am very sorry to report this fact because, as a clinical psychologist myself, I think that Dr. Phil is one of the worst imaginable 'representatives' of this profession.
His confrontational style and failure to educate himself on certain issues (particulary cd/tg/ts issues!) do not do justice to this otherwise honorable profession.
I have seen more learned and sympathetic treatment of t-issues and t-people on the Oprah show and even on the Tyra Banks show! Dr. Phil should rank near the bottom of all television talk shows ever. However, my wife loves to watch Dr. Phil, and so far i have been unable to change her mind. Oh well....

Nancy

But just being a "nut" case myself I am glad to hear a professional say this.

He is there just to get ratings as is all the tabloid TV shows.

I am sure the produces know this.

Sierra Evon
11-16-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm an advid Dr.phil viewer myself too , but Ive not see him do a show on
CDers or transsexuals at all , however I watched Montel last week , he
had a very informative show on Transgenders and some issues......
Dr. Phil ?.......well see........

kwebb
11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Maybe its just me but I saw a CDer and his spouse on the show once and was shocked. Not by how negative the Dr. was but, on the contrary, by how accomodating. I have also seen TS on there and Phil wasn't judgemental or negative at all.
He even told the CDer's wife that the stats show the husband will not ever give it up and if he has accepted himself then she can either accept him or look for a new relationship.
I expected the worst from this man where these issues are concerned but he shocked me.

Secretly, I think he may even be one. Just this weird vibes I pick up.

Christina Nicole
11-16-2006, 07:31 PM
The media is a curious thing, and I'd be wary of going into it. I'm fourtunate enough to have this quarter a class with one of the leading experts on television, Darrel Hamamoto as a professor. Despite being a radical Asian-American Nationalist, he does have a lot of solid observations on network and cable television.

It's nice to have a teacher who claims to know something, but that's second-hand information, at best. I've worked in the industry, as a consultant and as a vendor. Some of what you say is true, and some if it is plainly incorrect. I've worked with HBO, NBC, CBS News, ABC News, Fox, some locals, a few animation houses and some post-production studios, etc.

#1. It's all about the money
Television thrives on advertising dollars. As a result, television benefits from pandering to the desires and view of the watchers. As a result, television does not take the opinions of it's viewers lightly, and applies their desires to the media world and reflects it back at them. "The revloution will not be televised."

Yes and no. It is about money, but TV will show things that will upset their viewers. Nothing like a little righteous indignation prompt a letter writing campaign and some more viewing to see what the next atrocity will be. It seems counter-intuitive, but despite it appearing strange, it is, never the less, true. If the stations think there will be a high share nielsen rating in it, "The revloution[sic]" will be televised.

#2. Coded genderism
To borrow a concept from race roles in television, and apply it to gender and sexuality, Dr. Phil's opinions on transgender issues is not surprising. Rather than scorning and laughing at the transgendered individual, as was common at one time, now there is a coded genderist assault against us, that it's simply an issue that can be resolved with proper counseling and cured. Like the ethnicity argument on race, that immigrants and foreigners must be assimilated into the dominant culture to some degree, and have the differences ironed out, instead of expelling or killing them, so the argument that transgenderism (and homosexuality) are social problems that can be cured, instead of accepted.
This argument holds no water. If it were even remotely correct, you would only see gays as targets of derision. You would also see more of how “deviants” gay, transgendered, etc. can be cured.

#3. Media Oligopoly
Television is owned by only a handful of transnational media giants, which will stretch the truth to make sure their coffers stay full of the green stuff. Disney, for example, covered up the fact they hired many child molesters as mascots in Disneyland and Disneyworld, by canning the story from Disney owned networks. Likewise, if the owners or supporters of these companies have ties to religious groups or fundamentalist or conservative think-tanks, which many do, you will be hard pressed to find a program which doesn't reflect this view.
The networks are owned by large corporations. The affiliates are owned by small businesses. ABC News has a tiny fraction of the news media share. They couldn't suppress a story if they wanted to do so. I'd like to see the proof of the owners who "have ties to religious groups or [sic] fundamentalist or conservative think-tanks." This statement, "you will [sic] be hard pressed to find a program which doesn't reflect this view," is preposterous. Just ask the Parents Television Council (http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/familyguide/main.asp), or the National Institute on Media and the Family (http://www.mediafamily.org/). They'd not be in existence if our postulation were true. There would be no red flags on their website, either.

Regards,
Christina Nicole

AprilMae
11-16-2006, 07:54 PM
Good post Christina. Very Insightful. The idea that television networks are tied to the right wing is preposterous. Except for possibly FOX and the religious Networks, the majority of the media is positioned anywhere from somewhat Center to New York Times Left. And as far as "Expert" Professors, most I have encountered are pompous elitist windbags. I am glad I was in my 30's before going to College so I had experienced the real world before having my head filled up with nonsense by these quacks.

Bridget
11-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Yes and no. It is about money, but TV will show things that will upset their viewers. Nothing like a little righteous indignation prompt a letter writing campaign and some more viewing to see what the next atrocity will be. It seems counter-intuitive, but despite it appearing strange, it is, never the less, true. If the stations think there will be a high share nielsen rating in it, "The revloution[sic]" will be televised.

The media will show what titillates viewers, but some issues are simply not broached because they are percieved as too radical. And in of it, the titillation serves a purpose, to offend and shock the viewer into certain narrow perspectives. It is important to know that the media is not as radically conservative (excluding the Fox network) nor as lefty liberal as politicians like to claim it it. It preserves a certain position in the middle, with both some left and right leanings on varying issues. In a sense, it generally panders to both occasionally conservative morals, and "progressives". In order to maintain an audience, of course titillating and shocking the audience is necessary. In the news industry, it's practically necessary, so people get at least the feeling that the news media has veracity. But generally, the media does not have a wide, and full public scope, out of concern for it's interests.

This argument holds no water. If it were even remotely correct, you would only see gays as targets of derision. You would also see more of how “deviants” gay, transgendered, etc. can be cured.

As said above, the television is a reflection of it's audience. Gays are considered somewhat more acceptable, as part of the progressive perspective of television. Even if the many people oppose marriage, less and less people oppose their right to exist. In the past, say, go back 20 or 30 years, you see many gays as subtle targets of derision, as sissies, prancing around, with the conspicuous lisp (and still today you see it). You also see many gays in a sort of tragic figure role. Transgendered people on the other hand, like some other groups, are not yet absorbed into the mainstream, and are on a different level in the social consciousness, and are still seen as an outside group.

The networks are owned by large corporations. The affiliates are owned by small businesses. ABC News has a tiny fraction of the news media share. They couldn't suppress a story if they wanted to do so. I'd like to see the proof of the owners who "have ties to religious groups or [sic] fundamentalist or conservative think-tanks." This statement, "you will [sic] be hard pressed to find a program which doesn't reflect this view," is preposterous. Just ask the Parents Television Council (http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/familyguide/main.asp), or the National Institute on Media and the Family (http://www.mediafamily.org/). They'd not be in existence if our postulation were true. There would be no red flags on their website, either.

A good example would be Fox founder Rupert Murdoch, who created the Fox empire, starting from a small media company in Australia, and slowly turned it into a large media giant. Murdoch is somewhat well known for hist conservative positions. Fox of course is the network with the most blatant agenda on the map, especially when it comes to news reporting.

The thing is, many news corporations and television programs did used to be privately owned, and yes, then the small companies were not replaced, but rather purchased by larger corporations to appear on the airwaves, as affiliated with the news network. However, a large portion of the programming overall does come from the parent company. Nationally produced news shows, studio programming and the like, comes not from the local, but the national. (Likewise, a lot of international news comes from sources, like Reuters) News shows that even are locally produced, take a lot of their national news from national news sources. Only a certain portion of the news (usually on a local level) are produced in house.

The example of the PTC and other conservative media control groups proves nothing. It's like saying that because the Democrats control the congress, there should be no dissenting opinions. Conservatives comes in many shapes and colors, not to mention one being a large divide between the decision making conservatives and the average citizen conservative.

Bridget
11-17-2006, 12:11 PM
Good post Christina. Very Insightful. The idea that television networks are tied to the right wing is preposterous. Except for possibly FOX and the religious Networks, the majority of the media is positioned anywhere from somewhat Center to New York Times Left. And as far as "Expert" Professors, most I have encountered are pompous elitist windbags. I am glad I was in my 30's before going to College so I had experienced the real world before having my head filled up with nonsense by these quacks.

"If" is the operative word. And keep in mind that the Fox parent company owns two network television channels, and several cable channels.

And as stated prior, many channels do reflect a certain, if restrained, brand of "progressivism" or middle position, to reflect the nature of the viewers.

And finally, some Ad hominem, with which no argument on the internet is without.

On a slightly related note, it's good that my opinions stir up some healthy debate though, with a mix of agreement and dissention.

Bridget
11-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Bridgette you hit it on the HEAD.

I was in a 5 minute spot here about a month ago for one of my sports/hobbies - they did WELL on it but also distorted it for their own benefit, but all in all it came out OK.

But, I'm an English major in my 3rd year right now, one of my classes was basically to point out what bias the media had - and how they distort things out of context to get you to believe one thing by visually preparing it for your mind.

If you are ever in doubt, turn the volume off on your TV and watch the news - ha! The flashes of images will astound you - a stabbing and they will show their anti-gun ag enda by flashing a gun etc etc.

It's all about the money. Except that 76% of all major news media voted Democrat in 1996 - no agenda there eh? Notice any POSITIVE republian news articles out in this past election - heck no, just "Scandals" that were created (or existed in minor form). MORE democrats took money from what's his name, but more Republians were paid HIGHER - so it was a MUTUAL scandal yet they pointed it at the Republican pa rty. Even Hillary Clinton took money from this guy!

Here's a funny one for ya, the majority of doctors in America are TIRED of hearing about "ask your doctor" in TV commrecials so they Lobby Congress..

Will CNN, CBS, NBC etc pull those ads? Heck no - they are being paid for by the biggest coffers in the industry!!!

Will congress pass a law prohibiting them when all the doctors lobby? Heck no, Congress is paid off (Donations) by that same industry (This is why meds are cheaper on the other side of both borders or in Thailand). So congress forces the price of meds to be cheaper, but yet my eye drops are $30 a bottle overseas, $100 here.......

We the sheeple...

</rant>

It's even more severe, since our children are basically raised on television, increasingly. It's a worrying trend that children are being programmed to be insensible consumers, without really much of an ability to assess the difference between what we need, and what is being sold.

AprilMae
11-17-2006, 08:51 PM
"If" is the operative word. And keep in mind that the Fox parent company owns two network television channels, and several cable channels.

And as stated prior, many channels do reflect a certain, if restrained, brand of "progressivism" or middle position, to reflect the nature of the viewers.

And finally, some Ad hominem, with which no argument on the internet is without.

On a slightly related note, it's good that my opinions stir up some healthy debate though, with a mix of agreement and dissention.

IF is the middle word of life. And you are dead on, the whole purpose of discussion is to DISCUSS. Share points of view, exchange ideas, even those that may be objectionable to you. Today's society is showing an increasing intolerance for opinions that differ from one's own. On one hand people rightfully trumpet their rights to be heard and on the same hand wish to deny those who differ theirs.

Cheers to you Bridget. When we stop being able to express our different views , we are lost.
And you can't go wrong with such a good Irish name.

Kieron Andrew
11-17-2006, 08:56 PM
jusrt watched a re-run of a sally jessie show about trans issues, she seemed very accepting........ricki lake has ALWAYS been accepting, as has oprah and montell......i wouldnt trust the rest the make a mockery

AprilMae
11-17-2006, 09:11 PM
jusrt watched a re-run of a sally jessie show about trans issues, she seemed very accepting........ricki lake has ALWAYS been accepting, as has oprah and montell......i wouldnt trust the rest the make a mockery

SallY Jesse. Is she still around?
The King of CD friends has to be Phil Donahue.