PDA

View Full Version : Pierced ears

Lois1234
11-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I recently decided that for my birthday (December) i'm going to get my ears done seeing as clip on's are getting so hard to find. When i mentioned this to my neighbour she said simply said "cool". Then she mentioned that i have to be sure i got the proper one done because there is something wrong with getting the right ear done. What does she mean? Also, what i never told her was that i'm getting both done! I was wondering how many out there have both done?

Lois.....

Vash
11-11-2006, 11:50 AM
I had the left ear done when I was in school, a few years later had the other one done and a second hole put in the first. Now I want to get a second one in the other ear<confusing?> and a third one in the left ear. Believe me no one cares about men with pierced ears these days or for that matter which ear(s) are done. Another shining example of the blending of the gender line.
Now if I could just get nail polish fashionable on men.............

Joy Carter
11-11-2006, 12:04 PM
It was a very hard thing for my wife but I got one done then five months latter the other. No one has said a thing and if they did it would be a smart ass answer if they did LOL:D And Lois is you wanted "clip-on" you can find them at estate sales and even on-line. But hey gurl ya gotta get em pierce right now.:thumbsup:

AprilMae
11-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I recently decided that for my birthday (December) i'm going to get my ears done seeing as clip on's are getting so hard to find. When i mentioned this to my neighbour she said simply said "cool". Then she mentioned that i have to be sure i got the proper one done because there is something wrong with getting the right ear done. What does she mean? Also, what i never told her was that i'm getting both done! I was wondering how many out there have both done?

Lois.....
Supposedly, getting only one ear pierced denoted whether you were straight or gay depending on which ear was pierced. But that is pretty much gone by now, I think.

AmberTG
11-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Ya, 20 years ago, it might have mattered which ear you got pierced, but not any more. I've had 1 ear pierced sense 1981 and the other pierced sense about 1999, I wear small hoops or plain studs in guy mode all the time, no one questions it at all. Of course, when you get them pierced, people you know will notice the change, when you get the questions you can just say "why not, every one else is doing it" or "It seemed like a good idea at the time" No body cares about it, really.

suzy
11-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Yep... I echo what the other's have said.... many years ago having one ear pierced (I can't remember which one was ok and which one signified being gay) indicated your sexual preference. But, today everyone is having both pierced so it has lost the significance.

Go for the gusto and have them both pierced and then find some nice earrings to buy!:D

Teddie
11-11-2006, 01:49 PM
My cousins oldest daughter is in the know, if you know what I mean, about the left/right thing. And, at least in some circles, right only means gay. Just get them both done. :thumbup:

Tracy Lynn
11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
My wife and I went on Thursday and got our ears pierced. She got a third hole on the top of her ear. I did both of mine. I was in a management position for the past 8 years so I never did it. Now that I'm back at blue collar I thought what the heck. I'm so glad that I made the choice. I have had good comments so far. In this day aand age it doesn't seem to matter what you get pierced or wether you are male or female. I say go for it, you'll be glad you did.

suzy
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
But...but... sheeeeez... doesn't it hurt?? And I mean the higher up one goes....seems like the pain would be tremendous???:eek:

Tracy Lynn
11-11-2006, 02:26 PM
My wife is in some pain but mine feel fine. I went to a tattoo parlor so they just use a needle instead of the gun. The guy told me with the gun they stay sore longer. Wifey went through the cartilage so it will be sore longer.

Makina
11-11-2006, 02:29 PM
People are more embarassed to tell you about your pierced ears than you will be ever embarassed. Get used to it, and everybody will get used to it.

Don't worry too much about pain. It's not very painful, it goes fast, and after you'll be able to put on the earrings you've dreamed of.

Lois1234
11-11-2006, 02:59 PM
Well, my mind is made up.....that was easy enough. I'm going to get them done next weekend and you know i'll be shopping for some nice earrings right after. The long dangly ones are my favorites...maybe some big hoops too.

Once again, thanks! Lois.........XXXX

Lisa Golightly
11-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I have both ears pierced.

trannie T
11-11-2006, 05:02 PM
But...but... sheeeeez... doesn't it hurt?? And I mean the higher up one goes....seems like the pain would be tremendous???:eek:

I am extremely afraid of needles and averse to pain, yet I still have several piercings in each ear. There is minor pain for a couple of seconds. I found that clip ons would hurt like hell after a couple of hours so getting pierced is a lot better. One nice thing about multiple piercings is that some women find them really sexy.

MJ
11-11-2006, 05:05 PM
hi there i have both done last sept and loved it so last month i got another set done :D

Shannon CD
11-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Strated getting mine done in my old band days. 3 in the left and 2 in the right when all was said and done.

S. Lisa Smith
11-11-2006, 05:11 PM
If you have the only the left ear pierced it means you are straight, only the right mans gay. I have both pierced and that means I'm a CD :happy:
I'm really, really glad I did it although I did take some grief. People have forgotten already. I wear plastic ear ring protectors in the holes unless I'm dressing. I am nuts for earrings!

Sandra
11-11-2006, 05:32 PM
I don't think it matters if both ears are done nowadays most just think it is fashionable.

It is true though that the higher up the ear the more painful it is, I have three in each ear and the last ones did hurt.

Theresa(TGirl)
11-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Unless you are really old (like in your 50s or 60s +++) then getting both done doesn't seem to matter, heck, you see a lot of the rockers with both ears done, and even their nipples done, so your ears are perfectly normal now, but don't try the nipple thing, that'd seem a tad bit weird still.

GraceUSA
11-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, my mind is made up.....that was easy enough. I'm going to get them done next weekend and you know i'll be shopping for some nice earrings right after. The long dangly ones are my favorites...maybe some big hoops too.

Once again, thanks! Lois.........XXXX

Be sure to give your ears time to heal before putting new earrings in. I'm a slow healer so it my ears about 3 months to heal but for most it only takes about 4 to 6 weeks.

joanlynn28
11-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Just go put on a nice outfit and go to the mall and have your ears pierced both of them at Claires, that is what I did. And when I had them done there was a young girl going to get hers pierced too and the salesgirl told her see how easy that was she(me) did not feel a thing. The only comments I get at work is why don't you wear larger studs from the other guys. But then again most of the guys that have their ears pierced at work have multiple peircings in their ears. And this week there are some contractors working in our plant and I notice that one of them has very feminine looking hoops and multiple studs in one ear, and he doesn't look like a CD type or gay.

Theresa(TGirl)
11-11-2006, 07:08 PM
yeah, about that healing thing, just make sure you get ready to wear the first set 24/7 so that the holes don't close up, my sister when she had hers done had to leave them in for i done forgot how long but i am sure it was at least a month.

Bobbie cd
11-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Unless you are really old (like in your 50s or 60s +++) then getting both done doesn't seem to matter, heck, you see a lot of the rockers with both ears done, and even their nipples done, so your ears are perfectly normal now, but don't try the nipple thing, that'd seem a tad bit weird still.

Sorry Theresa, but I have to take exception to the first part of your comment! I'm 50 and have both ears pierced. No one makes anything of it at all. (Which is probably best for their health unless they are really large. :D )

I don't think of myself as old. Middle-aged maybe. (If you can imagine living to be 100, not sure I'd really want to!)
Otherwise, it's all mind over matter. (If you don't have a mind, it don't matter.)

trannie T
11-11-2006, 07:16 PM

What do you mean really old?
:tongueout :Angry3:

:mad:
:p :(

Mary Jane
11-11-2006, 07:20 PM

I am now 60 years old BUT, I do not consider myself as being "REALLY OLD". Come on. Was that comment really necessary???

Theresa(TGirl)
11-11-2006, 07:26 PM

ok let me rephrase myself:

Unless you are really old (like late 70s, 80s, 90s, even 100s) then getting both ears done doesn't seem to matter much.

hopefully that clears up any confusion, to me sometimes 30 seems old, but I ain't even 20 yet.

MJ
11-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Just go put on a nice outfit and go to the mall and have your ears pierced both of them at Claires, that is what I did. And when I had them done there was a young girl going to get hers pierced too and the salesgirl told her see how easy that was she(me) did not feel a thing. The only comments I get at work is why don't you wear larger studs from the other guys. But then again most of the guys that have their ears pierced at work have multiple peircings in their ears.
And this week there are some contractors working in our plant and I notice that one of them has very feminine looking hoops and multiple studs in one ear, and he doesn't look like a CD type or gay.

so you can tell !!! omg and i thought i was being careful :D

ubokvt
11-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Unless you are really old (like in your 50s or 60s +++) then getting both done doesn't seem to matter,

Heck, its half the fun. I'm from a small rural town and like me, most of my friends are really old. Half the fun of getting my ears pierced is watching their reactions. Most are just to polite to say anything, So, I get to stand there looking at them, smile, and watch then strugleto be polite, and not ask "What the Heck did you do that for" It is so much fun

Scotty
11-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I've got a pair of 1/8th carat diamonds, usually just wear one in the left ear but for the past week I've worn both out.....:) I get some reactions, in fact mostly women - they'll look once and do a double take on that right ear. Rather funny!!

DAVIDA
11-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Well, I quess I fall into the "really old" catagory now. I couldn't use the excuse "everybody does it" since no one was doing it when I pierced my own ears lots of years ago. I have had two holes in each ear for 25 years.

ebony
11-11-2006, 09:54 PM
I have two in each ear and one in the nose oh yeah and one in the belly. It dosnt matter at all these days there is so much body piercing going on I was leary about getting my belly done but now after a year I play bball with no shirt untill the hormones fully kick in. but dont worry its cool get them both done.

Stephenie S
11-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Well, I got mine done last August. Nothing to it really. I had the gun method by the Piercing Pagoda. She put in some nice studs which I wore for two months. Now I have started to take them in and out and last week my wife bought me some really nice gold hoops. It took me several tries before I could put the studs back in after I took them out, but every time I did it got a little bit easier.

I got no flack from anyone except the one woman at work who had appointed herself "gender policewoman". She was agast at the first meeting we both attended the day after. She told me it was absolutey wrong to get BOTH ears pierced. No one else had anything to say except compliments. Now, of course, everyone is used to them. I often discuss earing styles with the girls at work.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Billiesmith
11-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Well after reading all the others I think I will get my ears done. I have been thinking of doing it for some time now. I know I will get a lot of ribbing at work because I am 43. But most of the younger men at work have them so it wont be to bad. But who cares I can take it.
Thank You All
Billie

Bernadina
11-11-2006, 10:37 PM
ok let me rephrase myself:

Unless you are really old (like late 70s, 80s, 90s, even 100s) then getting both ears done doesn't seem to matter much.

hopefully that clears up any confusion, to me sometimes 30 seems old, but I ain't even 20 yet.

Uh? Why does it matter how old a person is?

I'd say if you hit 100 and you always wondered what it would be like to have your ears pierced, then go for it. Then next year you could get a tattoo.

I've had both of my ears pierced for a few years now and wear small diamond studs full time.

GinaC
11-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Hi everybody, I have two holes in each ear, I wear a diamond stud and a hoop in each ear almost all the time. sometimes I will wear two sets of hoops ,one larger than the other. I can't believe that I waited till I was 46 to get them done. On most weekends I paint my nails and leave the polish on all weekend long. I do get a few comments on the polish,mostly from girls who are jealous of my long finger nails!

Bobbi Lynn
11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
What do you mean "old"? I've had both of my ears pierced for almost 20 years. The only thing is that people have asked me "why did you get both of them pierced"? I have said "that I have two ears and I like them that way". But no negative comments to my face.

ColleenCD
11-11-2006, 11:04 PM
About 6 years ago, my wife (I KNOW!) wanted me to get my ear pierced. The right ear only of course. She had wanted me to for several years prior, but I was not in a professional position that was conducive for earings. Anyway, six years ago I went with my wife and had the right ear pierced. I got a little grief at work, but not much. I still want to get the left ear done, but am back in a very visible position which frowns on earings. I guess it's clip on's for me.

Colleen

austyn
11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
I have both of mine done twice it leaves you with many more options

Theresa(TGirl)
11-12-2006, 12:09 AM
To those of you who wonder why I mentioned "old" is because in the 80s you remember when MTV came online and then you saw the "hair metal" phase, well, piercing of the ears seems to be something that is starting to come around in the "younger" generations. Like the hair metal craze of the 80s.

Sejd
11-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Twenty years ago, I had my left ear pierced, three month ago, I pierced the other as well. Now I can enjoy "The full Monty" in earrings!!!!! just love it
huggs
Sejd

Billiesmith
11-12-2006, 01:27 AM
It's not that I think I am old but the younger ones like to kid me.
I did get my first tatoo at 40 and now have 3 going for 7.
Had my navel done last year but did not take. I am going to try it again too.
It was my exwife that said it was sexxy. Wish I could tell her about my crossing. She is one of my best friends.
Billie
xoxoxo

sweetnsultry77
11-12-2006, 01:39 AM
I have been considering getting mine done as well, would love to have a pair of hoops and every other style there is also!

Tina T
11-12-2006, 02:56 AM
I had mine done in the summer as a retirement present to my self. (on the actual day)
Couple of things that I would have done different; first, I’d have taken in my own earings to put in, because the choices in the shop were a bit limited and garish to wear full time whilst healing. Secondly, I’d have braced myself better and not jumped when the first one went in - which caused the hole to be slightly out of alignment.

Now all I’ve got to do is to stop buying them - my girl friend already accuses me of having more than she has.:D

trannie T
11-12-2006, 03:16 AM
Do any of the piercing places give a senior citizen discount?

PennyUK
11-12-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi All,

I have both my ears pierced for 30+ years, I do get the odd remark, but on the whole nothing is said.......

I love wearing medium hoops, dangley ones, in fact I love them all ha ha....

Hugs

Penny xx

Clare
11-12-2006, 03:51 AM
I have two piercings in each ear. I did them after my ex and I split last year and I used the excuse that it was a spur of the moment decision whilst upset about the end of my rerlationship.

I only have one set of hoop earrings and one set of studs which I wear all the time. I'm planning to buy many more earrings next year - wold love a set of diamond studs especially!

linnea
11-12-2006, 04:16 AM
I had both of my ears pierced two years ago as of this month (November 13, 2004, I'm quite sure). I did it at a shop called Claire's that is fairly common around here in Washington State. It was definitely not painful, but it was a surprise to my wife. However, she had said several times before I did it that she thought that I should get it done. I've been wearing little studs in my ears ever since, and no one has said anything derogatory or mocking. One of my old buddies from high school seemed dismayed about it, but he has settled down to.
I'm really glad that I did it because when I dress, it is so easy to wear fancy earrings and it's easy to find nice ones when I shop too.

Kelsy
11-12-2006, 05:57 AM
This old coot has two in my left ear! I want to pierce the right. I was told that if I do I'll have to lose the second piercing in the left ear because of the gay signal I would be sending? I'm old enough to remember that a guy wearing any earings was gay:D Unless of course he was a pirate!!

Jennifer:be:

kilts/skirts/skorts
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Ear piercing is such a NON-EVENT these days unless you decorate
yourself like a porcupine (meaning 5 or more in each ear).
I am 65 had both ears done in 1981. Back then left ear - straight;
right ear - gay; so I jokingly stated I was Bi and left it at that.
In 1995 I had a second stud hole in each ear to wear hoops in the
bottom hole and studs in the upper. Sometimes a double set
of hoops. Now I am thinking on doing the tragus (center portion of
the ear). Mall ear piercing kiosks don't do that sort of thing so you
have to find a body piercing studio to do it right with a degree of
safety.

Sierra Evon
11-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I say go for it girl !!!!!, I have now had mine done for about a year now
I have 3 pink studs on each ear lobe and 1 nose stud for a tottal of 7
piercings , but thats all I will ever do its the right look for me keeps me
looking very gurly, sets me apart from the men , I've traveled beyond,
manhoodisms, and into the female girly relm, and I would'nt have it any
other way....:happy: .soo good luck with yourz dear......bye...

Krystenw
11-12-2006, 01:44 PM
I've had mine this way for years. First time when I was six. The second set when I turned 50, seven years ago.

Rachel Morley
11-12-2006, 02:18 PM
When I was younger if you had just the left one done you were straight, if you had just the right one done you were gay. If you had both done you were either bisexual or just being (unacceptably) feminine. If you had both done but had an extra one in your left ear, you were being feminine but you were straight! Guess what I have? :D

I don't use my third one these days, I stick to one in the middle of each lobe. :happy:

Holly
11-12-2006, 02:29 PM
I have both ears pierced and have had for some time now. Last Christmas, I wore little tree ornament earrings to work for several days... girls in the office loved it!

Cheryl T
11-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Got mine done about a year ago and now have 2 in each ear that I wear all the time 24/7. NO one cares and no one comments. The freedom of styles is fabulous and I love being able to wear any kind of earring that I like and not having to hunt for those clip-ons anymore.

As for the left/right issue. It used to be that the left indicated str8 and the right gay (on the east coast and the opposite on the west coast) so you can see how confusing it could be.

As to the pain. It's no worse than a pinch and it's over in a second. Just keep the starter set in for about 2 months or so and clean and turn a few times a day. Then you can replace them with your preference. I wear a stud in the upper holes of each ear and small gold hoops in the lower all the time. If I'm going out somewhere dressed I'll change the lowers and usually wear something with some length like a chandelier, french wire, or threader.
I love the freedom to express my mood and enhance my outfit using all the styles available to us with pierced ears.
It's really no big deal anymore and they always give me that little reminder of who I really am.

Cheryl T
11-12-2006, 05:44 PM
found a closeup... not the best but hey ho...