PDA

View Full Version : Makeup - what am I doing wrong?

sherri
01-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Does anyone else have this problem? I have to extend my makeup a little ways down my neck from the jawline to cover beard and for a smooth transition to natural skin. When I wear a close fitting top, by the end of the evening there is makeup on the neckline.

Any solutions?

DonnaT
01-10-2005, 05:54 PM
Use an Oil Free Foundation. It provides an oil blotting action and resists rubbing off on clothes and skin. Then apply a Loose Powder. It sets the foundation, minimizes shine, helps prevent oily breakthrough and makes makeup last longer.

For example:
http://www.esteelauder.co.uk/templates/products/sp_shaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT1026&PRODUCT_ID=PROD1063

http://www.yvonnesplace.net/head_toe/groundwork.html

sherri
01-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Thank you Donna. Don't you just love Yvonne's site?!? I've had it bookmarked for ages.

Actually, the foundation she recommends — Cover Girl Ultimate Finish — is the one I've always used, but I just now picked up on her tip to use a Revlon product on the neck to combat ruboff.

I have always assumed that foundation is just a concealing, evening base layer on top of which to add my "look". I have used powder most often, but lately have been experimenting with a Cover Girl liquid makeup, touched up with powder. Either way, it is my perception that it is the top layer rather than the foundation that is rubbing off on my clothes. Perhaps I need to think about how I'm applying the powder.

Thanks again.

CindyB
01-10-2005, 11:15 PM
by the end of the evening there is makeup on the neckline
That is known as the "crossdressers badge of honor" :D

Tristen Cox
01-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the tips Donna, I've got the same problem and was having a time trying to figure out protection from getting the 'CD badge' on my clothes :p

And since my memory is so poor: Welcome to the forum Sherri :)

Love
Tristen

Roxie_31
01-11-2005, 11:02 AM
You might also try a concealer before applying the foundation. Seems to me, the biggest problem is using heavy coats of foundation to cover the beard. If you use a light touch of neutral concealer first, the foundation will cover much better, provide a more even tone, and you dont have to plaster yourself as much to hide that awful shadow.( the curse of being one of us I guess). Then apple a couple LIGHT coats of a loose, matte finish powder. Dont forget to blot and blend, blend blend. This routine works well for me.

sherri
01-11-2005, 11:45 AM
Cindy — yeah well, that badge is now on my new cashmere sweater, which has to be dry cleaned. Grrrr.

Tristen — thank you sugar. You cute thing you.

Roxie — yes, I've used a concealer from the outset, although I've yet to find one that does the job as well as I'd like. Of course, I haven't looked anywhere but WalMart and Target.

When I first started makeup, I did use a lot of foundation, but now I'm trying to get by with as little as possible. If it wasn't for beard shadow, I wouldn't use any foundation at all, much preferring the more natural look of liquid makeup touched up with powder and rouge.

My next problem to solve is hiding my porous skin. I don't notice it when I'm drab, but makeup brings it out. It seems like it's the powder that's the problem.

ChristineRenee
01-11-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the tips Donna, I've got the same problem and was having a time trying to figure out protection from getting the 'CD badge' on my clothes :p

And since my memory is so poor: Welcome to the forum Sherri :)

Love
TristenDitto here tristen...and yes, a belated welcome to the forum Sherri. Thanks for asking that question...I've had that problem for years...and that's a lotta CD badges ladies!:p

Love,
Christine Renee

Melissa A.
01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
Hi Sherri and all,

I recently started using Maybeline Mousse Matte. it has a little different consistency than most foundations. Light and airy and a little goes a long way. Coupled with a small amount of loose powder to help "set" it, it has minimized this problem for me.

Also, I am interested in ordering dermablend online, and would welcome any reviews before making the purchase.

Hugs,

Melissa :)

sherri
01-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Thank you, Christine! Luv that dress.

Thanks for the tip, Melissa. I will definitely give it a try. *smooch*