PDA

View Full Version : Getting technical about lingerie....

feline
01-10-2005, 06:49 PM
Got bored on Saturday so I treated myself to some new lace topped stockings and new suspender belt (that'll be garter belt for you US girls :) ).

Love shopping for clothes almost as much as wearing them.....

Anyway got home and eagerly unwrapped my new additions and horrors....... the clip on the sussies wouldn't grip the tops of the stockings because

1/ the stocking tops are quite thick lace and
2/ the clips themselves seem to be a lot smaller than usual.....

After some undignified struggling (and the occassional curse) I got the whole lot properly fastened....

Anyone else encountered this?

As I'm having a rant, what stops hold up stockings from, well, holding up? Some pairs seem to cling on forever, but others seem to lose grip and descend at the most annoying moments. Does it depend on what they are washed in??

Isn't life complicated enough??

- feline -

Donna Louise
01-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Feline

I must say that I have never had that problem. I don't get lace top unless it is in thigh highs. You know the ones that stay up all by themselves. Sorry I couldn't help.

Donna Louise

feline
01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Well, I figured as i needed some cheering up I'd treat myself to something nice. :D

- feline -

Donna Louise
01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
That is wonderful. I guess it is a girly thing. When I feel down, I go shopping, when I feel happy, I go shopping, when I am bored, I go shopping. D- I guess I love to go shopping. I love looking and touching all the fantastic girly things. I would love to try them on but I am not quite that brave - YET! Feline, it is always great to treat onesself. I know I do - :D

Hugs

Donna Louise

DonnaT
01-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Most suspenders have replaceable clips. Metal ones are best, as the plastic ones tend to slip easlily.

AnnaMaria
01-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Feline,

The problem with the stayup stockings falling is in the fact that the rubber used to keep them up simply wears out. Much like a set of tires on a car. It could be a matter of the way they are washed or it could be a matter of age and use, no way to tell for sure.

As far as the suspender belt and the stockings not matching, it sounds to me as if you were trying to use stayup stockings with a belt instead of the stockings that are actually made to be worn with a belt. Take a look at the inside of the lace and see if there is a rubber strip of some sort. If there is then that is the problem. I have not seen any stockings that have lace that go with a belt. At least not that I remember.

hope this helps

huggs
anna

sherri
01-10-2005, 08:31 PM
I think the stickiness of the rubber strips on thigh highs does wear out in time, but I have found that helps when your legs are freshly shaved and lotioned.

I don't care for pantyhose and I usually wear thigh highs by themselves, but when I'm feeling naughty there's nothing sexier than a garter belt. Belts with plastic clips are a bitch on thigh highs, and the ones with metal clips are hard to find.

Ashleigh
01-10-2005, 08:41 PM
The silicon band inside that hold the hold ups up can pick up oils and lotions, etc from use. I personally have not had this problem. My hold ups stay up until the toes wear out or I get a run. I have talked with those who have used just plain soap and water to clean the bands and they say that usually does the trick. It probably is best not to put them on right after putting on aftershave or lotion. If it very hot outside and one has perspired, that can also cause some problems with the bands. Just clean with soap and water. I have been told that many detergents can cause a premature breakdown of the materials and casuse the silicon to actually separate. I just hand wash with a mild soap and warm water. Hope this helps.

Melissa A.
01-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Most of the time, I find Pantyhose works as well (especially with most skirts) and is so much easier.

Hugs,

Melissa

LindaTS
01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
I've had the same problem with the plastic clips. Back in the days when they used metal everything was great. Donna T, maybe you can tell us where to buy the metal ones. Thanks hon.

DonnaT
01-11-2005, 08:48 AM
There is:

http://www.dollhousevintage.com/asp/item.asp?id=344

and

http://www.vickisnylons.com/Lingerie/lingerie.htm
Has replacement garters that include the metal clips.

There is a chat group at

http://www.stockingshq.com/

That may know more about them.

LindaTS
01-11-2005, 09:21 AM
My, my Donna, that was a very fast reply. Thank you so much. Now I have to see if mine can be replaced.

MistyCD
01-11-2005, 04:26 PM
As a pantyhose and tights wearer, I don't have to worry about that....

maybe the manufacturers are just getting cheap!!!

misty

MistyCD
01-11-2005, 04:28 PM
What is the difference between a slip and chemise? when does a slip become a chemise and when does a chemise stop being one?

inquiring minds want to know !!!!
Misty :D

Celeste GG
01-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes I'm with Kew... the new plastic suspenders are crap! Avoid them and get for metal. Replacements can be bought at most large Material stores. (makes note to check with new lingerie manufacturer - metal ones) But plastic suspenders for plane trips might be a good idea. Especially if your are in your Armarni business suit!

A chemise is short. would say the purpose of a slip or pettycoat is to stop the dress or skirt from sticking to your stockings, or blowing through your legs and to help avoid that embarassing see through look on a sunny day.
Celeste