PDA

View Full Version : Itchy Legs

Karren H
11-13-2006, 12:14 PM
I've developed a severe case of leg itch.... Right on the front of my shins.. Both legs! And I shave them daily and use lotion on them so they are not dried out.. But I scratch them so much sometimes that they bleed.

Anyone else have this problem and any solutions?

I do wear my hockey pads twice a week so I don't know if they are irratating them or not but I don't have this problem in the summer when I don't shave....

Love Karren

great gg
11-13-2006, 12:23 PM
maybe you're just shaving too much, too oftgen. then your skin will get irritated no matter what! maybe you can let the hair go for the off season? it's onjly five days, right? hee hee!

KateW
11-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Yeah, sounds like you are shaving a little too often. I don't think that a few days growth is at all noticable, so it's probably best to give your legs a little rest for a day or two. Also, I heard that shaving can remove a layer of skin in the process (feel free to correct me on this), but I imagine that it doesn't regenerate that quickly?

Tamara Croft
11-13-2006, 12:27 PM
Sounds like the pads are causing it to me. If I shave my legs and then put trousers on, they start to itch like mad, even if I've put lotion on them.

It's a bit like waxing, when shaving, you're literally taking the top layer of skin off, thus you use the lotion to help feed the skin and also add a layer to prevent infection. However, if you then cover it up or cause a restriction to the skin, then you get problems. The skin needs to heal, which is why you use the lotion, but if you then cover them up, you're causing friction, which then leads to itching ;)

KateW
11-13-2006, 12:33 PM
May I also suggest immac if your leg hair doesn't mind being chemically burned off as opposed to chopped!

Roberta Lynn
11-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't shave my legs very often but I have the same problem once we start heating the house for winter. It is strange but I only have this problem on my shins.
Lotion does alleviate the problem for me though, maybe you should try a different brand.

Lisa K
11-13-2006, 01:10 PM
I haven't started to shave my legs but do have that problem in the winter. I've tried baby oil and various lotions. Have yet to find one that "cures" the problem.

How bout it men and ladies?

Lisa

JoAnnDallas
11-13-2006, 01:11 PM
I have that problem too, but then too I have 3 cats. LOL

tall_brianna
11-13-2006, 01:30 PM
Only in the winter ...starting long before shaving.

I forget what my doc called it but his recommendation was fish oil pills - something about the omega 3 fatty acid. It did the trick.

-b

Karren H
11-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Sounds like the pads are causing it to me. If I shave my legs and then put trousers on, they start to itch like mad, even if I've put lotion on them.

It's a bit like waxing, when shaving, you're literally taking the top layer of skin off, thus you use the lotion to help feed the skin and also add a layer to prevent infection. However, if you then cover it up or cause a restriction to the skin, then you get problems. The skin needs to heal, which is why you use the lotion, but if you then cover them up, you're causing friction, which then leads to itching ;)

Good point and with all that sweating under my hockey gear.....

ohhhh. Did I mention that I dry shave my legs.....well, dry shave my body! Always have, found that shaving creams just made it too hard to see where I had shaved in the shower and never gave me that good of a shave...

Karren

KarenSusan
11-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Karren,

Maybe it's irritation from pants. You might have to wear skirts all the time.:D

Tamara Croft
11-13-2006, 01:42 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh big :slap: for you Karren!!!!!! You should NEVER dry shave anything!!!!! No wonder you're itching..... you silly woman!!!

You need to stop doing that, no lotion is going to stop the itching once you've dry shaved....... A suggestion, buy some E45 'itch' cream, not the plain stuff (goes to find link) and use that when you start itching.

I've tried many different shaving gels, creams, blah blah blah.... and I still get 'razor rash'..... but that is mainly caused by pressing the blade onto the skin too hard, or 'not' dry shaving...... doh!!!

Karren, when I was in Tenerife early this year, I dry shaved my legs..... because I was in a rush......... and did I know about it a few hours later...... *ouch* My legs itched, were red raw from scratching..... and the heat made it 10 times worse..... so... STOP IT!!!!!

<edit> http://www.e45.com/main.asp?pid=3321 << E45 Itch Cream

bobby_hansen
11-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Rub some cortisone cream on them and see if that helps. Could it be eczema?

With the sweaty pads and stuff, it could be fungal, I suppose... You could also try an antifungal cream (athletes foot) or in the spirit of this group, some Monistat.

Iniquity Blonde GG
11-13-2006, 02:04 PM
yep i agree E45 is very good for this sort of thing. come winter i suffer with it,plus fingers get sore etc. chemist recommened i use this cream after bath, and it works !! :D and as for dry-shaving !!! good god ur brave lol :rolleyes: