PDA

View Full Version : "Nair" Don't do it!

susancheerleader
11-13-2006, 05:09 PM
I decided to try that "Nair" hair removal for my legs. I figured it was an easy way to remove hair rather then shaving. I followed the directions, but OH MY GOD what a horrible reaction I had.
Most of my legs turned into a painful red rash that I couldn't do anything about. I tried washing, I tried skin softener, I tried Allo gel to no avail. The only thing I could do was wait for two days for the rash to go away. During that time I couldn't wear pants or have anything touch the skin on my legs.

I don't know what happened but I am staying away from that stuff.
So much for the "easy way" to remove hair.

Oh. I almost forgot. Nair smells horrible too.

Ashley-VA
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Hmm....

Maybe you left it on your skin too long? Some people are more sensitive than others. I use it when I dont shave for awhile. I'll let it take off the majority of the thick hair on my legs. I then let things settle, then I shave in a normal routine without issue.

I only have to leave Nair in place for about 7 minutes for it do it's thing. They also have different scents available that smell okay.

Sorry you had such a rough time.

zoe jordon
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I have had couple of saws from using veet but when i shave i get a realy bad rash!!! I guess we cant win
Did you shower before using it i think it can mess things up when you use hot water before all though im not sure!!!
Im not any help at all am I !!!!!!!!

SORRY HONEY

Love zoe j xxxxxxxx

susancheerleader
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
It says to leave it on for 3 minutes and "test" an area.
3 minutes is all I left it on for. :(

I guess my skin is too sensitive for this. :(

Edit: No hot water used before applying Nair.

Anita Mae GG
11-13-2006, 05:19 PM
Sounds like you left it on too long. Danielle did that the first time and it ate her skin right off in places. It works you just ahve to be careful. Also some are more sensitive than others. Try the Nair for Men instead

joanne_mi
11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Sounds like you left it on too long. Danielle did that the first time and it ate her skin right off in places. It works you just ahve to be careful. Also some are more sensitive than others. Try the Nair for Men instead

Actually, I've found that the men's stuff doesn't work as well as the standard Nair. Just my experience though.

Not to suggest that either one works that well really. Shaving's much quicker and easier. (at least for me) :D

hotbobbie
11-13-2006, 05:58 PM
I used Nair several times with no problems then all of a sudden it burned and it took about a week for the rash to go away. So i tried Neet and it did the same thing so now i just shave.

Sweet Jane
11-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi

I've often thought about these chemical products..theres even one to use "in" the shower now...theres nothing I'd like more than to quickly and effortlessly flush my hair away...but after seeing this, I think I'll keep shaving and put up with the odd careless nick...

trannie T
11-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I've got pretty thick skin {in more ways than one} and have used Nair with no problem. It is a serious chemical so use it with care, follow the instructions and use a little on a small area first.

Lanore
11-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I shave every other day. I just don't like any stub at all. I've used Nair and had no problems. To me, it makes my legs really silky after I use it. I guess every one has a reaction different than others. I do prefer shaving though.

Lanore

Edie
11-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I have found that Veet for sensitive skin is much milder than Nair. The mens products do not (in my opinion) work as well as the womens products. Also you have to be careful to not leave it on too long or it will burn.

MarieTS
11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Susan--I'm sorry you had such a problem with Nair. But I've got to tell you, I'm with Lenore: Nair is the only thing I use anymore. Hair regrowth is slower and less stubbly, and Nair is much faster than shaving. Hopefully you simply left it on too long and aren't allergic to it. Now you've got to try waxing. OOUUCHH!!! :heehee:

Tedi
11-13-2006, 09:21 PM
I've had so-so results with Nair.. I can take it or leave it. With a good sharp (triple) blade razor I can shave my legs in less than ten minutes.
So as far as time goes.. it's a toss up. The Nair may last a day or two longer than a shave, but I kinda like the way a razor "planes" off the surface of my skin, it's always smoother.

Charity's GG
11-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Susan?/ How many legs do you have?? You said..."most of my legs....":tongueout

My advice is to NOT use nair...I cant stand the stuff...I use very lathered up soap/shampoo...and only after my legs have been in the water for 15 minutes...and a good razor!

enjoy your evening! Charity's GG:love:

paulaN
11-13-2006, 09:58 PM
glad your ok. I hope your legs did not get scared of anything like that. bet you wont do that again.

Melinda G
11-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Keep in mind, that anything you put on your skin, gets absorbed, and eventually finds it's way to your liver. A lot of things have been approved by the FDA, only to be taken off the market years later, when found to be harmful. You can't go wrong shaving.

stephaniex
11-13-2006, 11:15 PM
there's nothing that works as well as lazer treatment. i tried nair, shaving, waxing, but always ended up with bumps and ingrown hairs. lazer is great, i've done 3 treatments now, whole body, and the difference is amazing, about 80% of the hair is gone, and the remaining hair can easily be shaved with no bumps or rash.

Lawren
11-14-2006, 06:32 AM
I had the same reaction but on a smaller scale. (I only tried a tiny spot at first.) I find that Veet is much gentler and works better.

Phyliss
11-14-2006, 07:24 AM
Many, many years ago i tried Nair and had a very bad reaction. Swore to never use it again. About two years ago when I began to get serious about hair removal I figured that possibly I had made some mistake with the stuff and tried it again, being careful to follow the direction to the letter. Same reaction, bumps, rash, burning feeling. Never again for me. Did the shave thimg for about a year and got tired of that. Since Aug of 05 I've been getting waxed every six weeks and I love it. Hadly any hair grows back now, thinking of going to every 8 weeks between sessions.

Modesty Blaise
11-14-2006, 07:44 AM
I've recently tried the veet cream with the plastic razor thing with some success, but I get loads of spots with shaving and veet etc. At least with the veet it is easier to keep going (the spots aren't sore with veet but get in the way shaving!). Does anyone know how to avoid these spots/shave rash?
Best wishes
Modesty

In the closet, but trying on the clothes while I'm in there!

Kahlan51
11-14-2006, 08:18 AM
I had some rash problems the first time or two that I tried Nair but now I use it all the time about 2 years and have no problem Tried shaving but seem to nick to much for touch up electric razor works Sorry to hear you had problems Kahlan

Emma England
11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Tried it and came up in a red rash.

Also it only lasts about 2 days, whereas a razor I can not shave again for 3 days.

Shaving is quicker, smoother, easier, less painful, and lasts longer.

At the mo though, I am trying an electrolysis kit that I bought off ebay. Started to work on my legs!

Janailene
11-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Nair is a strong chemical and extended time on skin results in a rash. I've used an epilator for years. in the beginning it was uncomfortable, but now I have al,ost no hair growth. Just 5 minutes and my legs chest and arms are smooth. It is not for every one, but it works for me.

Angie G
11-14-2006, 10:04 AM
I somewhat enjoy shaving so I'll stick to that :hugs:
Angie

susancheerleader
11-14-2006, 10:50 PM
Shaving definitly is a lot more safe then the "Nair" idea. But some suggested they tried other hair removal products that didn't bother so much.
While shaving is okay, I was looking for something that last a little longer and I heard the hair removal creams work better for that.

True or false?

Charleen
11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
Tell ya what, because of the horror stories that have been posted about Nair, I'm stickin' with shaving! Got the Quattro, and haven't had a nick yet. Might try an eplilator though. Love and xxxx, Lily

Fallen Angel
11-14-2006, 11:15 PM
Ive tried nair before and ive never had any luck with it.And have had the same rashing proublems as well i use sensitive skin razors and have never had any proublems

bobbielynn
01-20-2007, 12:41 PM
i used Nair all the time. the only time i get a reaction is when i don't watch the time and leave it in to long, and it lasts about a week. with shaving i got to shave everyday

amanda barber
01-20-2007, 02:36 PM
I decided to try that "Nair" hair removal for my legs. I figured it was an easy way to remove hair rather then shaving. I followed the directions, but OH MY GOD what a horrible reaction I had.
Most of my legs turned into a painful red rash that I couldn't do anything about. I tried washing, I tried skin softener, I tried Allo gel to no avail. The only thing I could do was wait for two days for the rash to go away. During that time I couldn't wear pants or have anything touch the skin on my legs.

I've had much better results with Veet than I ever did with nair.

Cindi Johnson
01-20-2007, 02:58 PM
I tried it on my face once, and looked terrible for weeks.

Tracy_Victoria
01-20-2007, 03:00 PM

It does say on the instructions, test a small patch first to see if you have an extreme reaction, some people skin is more sensitive that other.

I've used Nair loads of times (longer than recomended) with no reaction at all.

Tracy_Victoria
01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.naircare.co.uk/FAQ.htm

I've never used a depilatory cream before.
When using a depilatory cream for the first time it is important to read the instructions carefully and carry out a patch test. If the skin is normal after 24 hours, proceed with the full application.

Tracy_Victoria
01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Shaving definitly is a lot more safe then the "Nair" idea. But some suggested they tried other hair removal products that didn't bother so much.
While shaving is okay, I was looking for something that last a little longer and I heard the hair removal creams work better for that.

True or false?

True

http://www.naircare.co.uk/FAQ.htm

How do depilatories work?
Unlike shaving, hair removal creams are formulated to detach the hair just beneath the skin's surface, which means new growth will take longer to emerge from the hair follicle. The active ingredient penetrates the hair shaft to dissolve its linkages, breaking down the cellular material that holds the dead cells together. As a result, when showering off the product, hair is easily pulled away with minimum fuss. Dependent on the individual's growth rate, it can take up to a week before the process needs to be repeated.

susananklet
01-21-2007, 02:36 PM
that that stuff is some powerful. Got to remember don't leave that stuff on too long and test a small area first. Susan

Tina P Hose
01-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I have used Nair and had no problems. However, lately i have been shaving and actually kind of enjoy bath time when I shave.

Brianna Lovely
01-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Check out this link for more info about Nair.
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=3002008

ChristyS
01-21-2007, 05:52 PM
AGREED...Nair is terrible stuff...avoid it at all costs. I was at my first "get away weekend years ago, and as soon as I arrived I bathed and proceeded to use Nair...for the first time. Terrible, painful burns and the horrid smell wouldn't go away. It really ruined an otherwise great weekend.

cocopuff's girl GG
01-21-2007, 07:59 PM
Usually when we buy shampoo's we get the set 2 for 1 deal where you get a conditioner along with it. Being we don't use conditioners as much as we do shampoo we have alot of conditioner left over. I put conditioner on my legs and let it sit for a minute or two and then shave it makes the hair so much softer and easier to shave and you get a very smooth shave. You need to make sure you get all the conditioner off. My SO is doing this too now and he's had no problems.

melissacd
01-21-2007, 10:28 PM
I agree, I have been using conditioner now for a few months and it works wonders, it does not burn, is gives a nice smooth shave and it just plain feels good.

MaxineF
01-22-2007, 07:00 AM
It's hard to be smooth...

Have you even tried one of those electic things with the long spring that rips the hair out? Wow that was a level of pain I never needed to see!

These days I tend to shave or go several layers of panyhose. I find each layer feels sexy so I dont mind at all :)

Maxine

Eugenie
01-22-2007, 07:29 AM
Obviously we aren't equal with regard to how we react to various substances... Some of us have a more sensitive skin to products like NAIR or VEET or any other depilatory creams.

Most vendore recomend to try on a small skin area, and on a spot that is rather not too sensitive to pains... If it workd there then use it for the rest of the body parts you want to make as smooth as you would like them to be...

I'm quite lucky with these depilatory creams. I've followed the instructions carefully and never had a problem, except once when I forgot one of the "rules"...

I alternate shaving and depilatory creams.
:hugs:
Eugenie

Scrunchie-Bunchie
01-22-2007, 07:32 AM
I tried Nair. I applied as per instructions. Waited as per instructions and... nothing happened. It didn't do anything.

janedoe311
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
It pulls the hair off! It is not pain less and did not work for me. My hair holds on too well, even in very small patches!
My wife used it on her legs but it is not easy.

Would like to be able afford a waxing.

I have sensitive skin and these hair removing creams scare me. I have heard people getting burns from them.

JENNYgirl
01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
I tried it once work great on legs so i figured why not try around cortch for that clean look was i sorry for that it was like burned for a week ouch:heehee:

hotbobbie
01-22-2007, 02:40 PM
I used to use Nair with no problems then all of a sudden it really burned my skin. It took about a week to get rid if the red. I have then tried Neet and it did the same so i now just shave.

nataliecd77
01-22-2007, 10:42 PM
I've tried Nair if I leave it on for as long as instructions say I get a really wicked burn, if I shorten the time it doesn't do a good job of removing the hair. Also have tried veet with similar results.
I have been shaving for awhile now, I lotion up with baby oil before showering and shave while in the shower. Works good for me no rashes, no hair. I can usually shower and shave in 10-15 minutes so it's not a big deal, I shave everyday need it or not.
Natalie

Marcie Sexton
01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I use nair all the time with out effect, other than less a lot of hair...for me the real sign its been on at bit to long is the tingle/burn sensation i get...look out shower...:heehee: I also use the bikini formula for down there...:rolleyes: with out problem either...I would suggest you try it on a single spot to see how long it takes to work and see if you get the same reactions...they also make a 3 minute formula now, that seem a little less effective, but five minutes takes it all away any way...

and as always I use lot and lots of lotion...Jergens is my brand, with hair growth inhibitor...and I might also say after six months of use it seems to help. I now only have to use the nair about every 10 days...

At any rate good luck...

Barb Valentine
01-23-2007, 12:04 AM
I've had no problems at all using Nair
I feel it beats the heel out of shaving

Tasha Meredith
01-23-2007, 12:10 AM
Personally I love Nair. My only bad experience with it was after applying it to my armpits. Ouch!