PDA

View Full Version : Stood out like a sore thumb

ubokvt
11-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Last night I went to our local transgender Day of Remeberance with My So and some friends. The plan was to go dressed of course, but plans don't always work. I had the most unlikely chain of events including a cop that ended with seperated from my companions and no place to change but a small car on a side street and no Lights. Well I walked to the event looking for any window that would thow a reflection, but no luck. So I arrived looking just like what I was, a guy, dressed in drag, who just fell out of car with a "wig" on backwards, no makeup, and a heavy 5 0'clock shadow. I couldn't have stood out more if I'd hung a sign a my self. I left what little pride I had left at the door, screwed up my courage and joined the ceremony, then stayed for the social afterwards. There were a good fifty people there and everyone of them knew I didn't come close to passing. It was a great experience. I was me, being me, and I was accepted. I got a chance to face my fears at my worst and was treated with respect as a person. Even got a few invites to support groups, guess I looked like I need help. In a way I did and they gave it freely. Put this event in you books for next year you can go dressed however, be accepted, socialize, and not be judged, and just by being there dressed contribute significantly to the event. I am truly better, stonger, for not passing, thanks to these good people:thumbsup:

Amy Hepker
11-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Sound to me that you needed tp leave home dressed. I am glad to hear that everything turned out OK

racquel
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Good for you,I'm happy it all turned out well.I am curious as to the cop angle of the story if you care to share.:eek:

Eileen
11-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Glad you did not let a few, what must have seemed like huge, problems stop you from attending the rememberance. As we work towards more acceptance, it is important that we never forget those whose lives were cut short by short sighted individuals.

Eileen

NatalieH
11-20-2006, 12:35 PM
I was me, being me, and I was accepted... I am truly better, stonger, for not passing...

I think this is a key point, the feeling of being accepted for who you are, and not just because you've managed to "fool" someone that you're a GG (I'm NOT knocking the ability to "pass" - I hope to get there someday). I've felt that way a couple times in my few times out- it's a great relief, and allows you to just have fun, or do whatever you're there for. I'm happy for you.

Natalie

ubokvt
11-20-2006, 10:13 PM
I think this is a key point, the feeling of being accepted for who you are, and not just because you've managed to "fool" someone that you're a GG (I'm NOT knocking the ability to "pass" - I hope to get there someday). I've felt that way a couple times in my few times out- it's a great relief, and allows you to just have fun, or do whatever you're there for. I'm happy for you.

you're right when you can stop worrying about passing or focusing on "what if some one recognizes me?" You can really experience what is happening as your self. Sometime passing hinders why I really dress. Also knowing that everyone saw the real me, the man dressing as a woman, gave me strength for next time and the time after that. Its begining to fight the shame monster. What I do is normal not shameful.

Billijo49504
11-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Well you made the best out of a bad situation. And for a good cause. And you were respected for being there. Glad to hear you stood up for what you believe in...BJ