PDA

View Full Version : Dressing up in women's clothing is no laughing matter for some

Bernadina
11-23-2006, 08:05 PM
This was published in a Canadian Newspaper. - Dina

-----------------------------------

Dressing up in women's clothing is no laughing matter for some

Alan Ferguson, The Province

Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2006

For some people, dressing up is a bit of a lark. You couldn't turn on the TV last week without seeing some gaudily-costumed clown hamming it up in Winnipeg for Grey Cup week.

All quite harmless. Good for a laugh, really.

But what if it's not a game? What if your fetish for wearing other peoples' clothes is not just an unshakable habit but a compulsion ruling your life?

The predicament was brought to my attention after I wrote here recently about how New York City is accommodating the needs of its trans-gendered community.

I was taken to task for being flippant. One correspondent said it was "like laughing at a baby born with no arms."

Ouch. Fortunately, the folks at Vancouver's Cornbury Society offered to fill the gaps in my knowledge about the world of gender confusion.

The society bills itself as "a social, educational and support group for crossdressers." And its membership, while varied, consists mostly of people whose bodies tell them they are men, but whose minds insist they are women.

I was asked to imagine what it must be like to wake up in the morning as a guy with an overwhelming desire to put on a dress.

In the trans-gendered world, the compulsion is apparently irresistible, even though the fear of being "read" -- identified as a crossdresser -- is a constant anxiety.

Exactly how many people there are like this is unclear; crossdressers aren't part of that in-yer-face, minority-rights lobby on a sharp look-out for a juicy discrimination case to haul before a human rights tribunal. No, the world of the crossdresser is lonely, and often painfully sad.

"Stephanie," now a 58-year-old Vancouver grandfather, has endured a life-long battle with gender identity, aware of his/her dilemma since the age of six.

His parents hadn't a clue, and his first wife, who knew of his orientation, "wanted to cure me." When the marriage ended after 13 years, "Stephanie" went into depression, avoiding new contacts "because I didn't want this side of me destroying other relationships."

Even though he has since remarried, he's haunted by his own admission that he "probably would have transitioned" -- become a woman, that is -- except that the urge was "not strong enough to counterbalance all the family considerations I have."

He tries to argue he is "gender-gifted," but admits to feeling "dishonest" dressing as a man to hide his compulsion from colleagues at work.

"It's something you are born at . . . it's that far down in your being," he says. "(People like us) are so even-balanced (between man and woman) we're off-balance."

That's no laughing matter.

Having, as one website puts it, "a mind that is literally, physically trapped in a body of the opposite sex" is little short of a nightmare.

I can't imagine the misery of being daily tormented by the cruel contradiction between your gender and your physical sex.

alan.f@telus.net

© The Vancouver Province 2006

Bernice
11-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Awesome! Imagine, a journalist with the capacity to learn! I had no idea there was such a person.

Made my day! Thanks!

Jesse69
11-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks for typing this up!

rosiegurl
11-23-2006, 08:27 PM
wow, insightful, apolagetic for earlier comments and actually soing some research.

wonder if he has issues of his own, a nice person in the body of a journelist *grins*

princessmichelle
11-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Reading it made me feel better. Thanks.

PM

MJ
11-23-2006, 08:45 PM
omg wow that's so true i hope people understand now a little better what we go through everyday

ColleenCD
11-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Great article Dina. It is nice to find journalistic integrity which is so rare today. Many appear elite without room for further education once their article is printed. Thank you for this find and post.

Colleen

sara_also
11-23-2006, 09:10 PM
It's a shame something like this could not reach the national news and reports
What a wonderful article

bredalee25
11-23-2006, 10:31 PM
It couldn't have been said any better than that. Waking up a guy with an uncontrolable urge to put on a dress. Now that is the way I feel all the time. I'd like to see a "normal" male try thinking like that instead of making fun of us for putting a dress on.

ttfn

Nikki T
11-23-2006, 11:24 PM
Yes very very good and detailed, it sure puts it in perspective and thats about how i feel everyday. Hopefully someday it Will be published mainstream journalism.

trannie T
11-24-2006, 12:14 AM
We are compared to "a baby born with no arms" our lives are "painfully sad." I enjoy being a crossdresser, I do not need the pity of a newspaper reporter. I hope our lives are not as miserable as described in the article.

carla smith
11-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I can't imagine the misery of being daily tormented by the cruel contradiction between your gender and your physical sex.

I am a crossdresser for the fun of it, not for the torment of it. When crossdressing becomes anything less than fun I will move on to something else. But I am just a crossdresser, what do I know! Maybe I will come to know this torment as I grow into sisterhood! :rolleyes:

Kristen Kelly
11-24-2006, 12:25 AM
We are compared to "a baby born with no arms" our lives are "painfully sad." I enjoy being a crossdresser, I do not need the pity of a newspaper reporter. I hope our lives are not as miserable as described in the article.

Tell me one girl that have not battled some kind of demon about dressing, the guilt, no acceptance, taunting, the short end of a joke. That is not painfully. Yes I am very happy now but over the years I had to endure the pain I have enflicted upon myself for dressing.

AmberTG
11-24-2006, 12:54 AM
If you can quit crossdressing any time you want and not look back then you don't feel any of what the reporter talks about. If you think about it every day and find yourself depressed if you can't indulge yourself for more than a few days at a time, then you know exactly what the reporter is talking about. If you wish you had been born female at least once a week, tell me it's not painful sometimes, waking up in the morning and seeing yourself in the mirror.

Penny Lane
11-24-2006, 05:01 AM
Dear Me

A journalist who has revisited an idea, changed their mind and wrote an excellent followup article.

There IS hope for the world yet

Penny x

Lilith Moon
11-24-2006, 07:10 AM
If you can quit crossdressing any time you want and not look back then you don't feel any of what the reporter talks about. If you think about it every day and find yourself depressed if you can't indulge yourself for more than a few days at a time, then you know exactly what the reporter is talking about. If you wish you had been born female at least once a week, tell me it's not painful sometimes, waking up in the morning and seeing yourself in the mirror.

Yes, :iagree: except I would change one phrase to:

"...If you think about it every minute."

:straightface:

Charleen
11-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Slowly but surely it looks like the word is getting out. Gives this old gal a little hope for the future. Love and xxxx, Lily

tgirlkari
11-24-2006, 09:16 AM
Hmmmmmm an open mind can learn now I wonder where I've heard that before.
Truly a wonderfull piece and a rare gift to girls like us.
Thank You Dina

Karren H
11-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Neat article!!

Karren

MJ
11-24-2006, 09:52 AM

well said amber and i too say change phrase If you think about it every minute of every day ..and sooner or later you have to do something about it

Sasha Anne Meadows
11-24-2006, 10:36 AM
It's nice to see a sympathitic article like this. But I hope for the day that somone can write about those of us who take great joy in what we are. There are many of us who are happy and content with who we are and that is a story that needs to be told too.

carla smith
11-24-2006, 05:40 PM
If you have a need to think about being feminine all of the time then that is what I would consider beyond what my concept is of crossdressing. But I could be confused again....maybe I too will reach that level of torment someday! Then I will call my obsession something other than crossdressing!

I say this with the utmost respect for my sisters here with more experience and wisdom.

janelle
11-24-2006, 05:48 PM
I don't know about anyone else but i sent it to a reporter at our local newspaper. Lets see what happens.
Janelle

Melora
11-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Cheers! :)

Shannon CD
11-25-2006, 01:21 AM
I, too, am happy to see a reporter who is willing to open his mind and learn a little. It gives me hope.

As for the torment, I completely understand. The fact is that I do think about what it would have been like to have been born a woman every once in a while. However, I don't think that I feel that way deeply enough to believe that I was born in the wrong body. I wish I did feel that way. It would help me explain why I have the need to wear dresses and pantyhose. I have no real explanaition. For the most part when I'm dressed as a man I feel like a man, so why do I do this? That is a question that will eat at me for years to come. That may not be the type of torment he was describing, but it is the one I own.

Aprilrain
11-25-2006, 01:46 AM
I definitly feel the torment (raised Catholic). But i also feel the joy when i put on my pantyhose and bra then a skirt and top followed by my wig and make up when i'm done and i look in the mirrror and i see a feminine me looking back i smile. The pain definitly comes from the precieved social consequenses of being a man dressed up like a women.

Tina Dixon
11-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Nice article, may be there is some hope some day.

Sweet Jane
11-25-2006, 04:10 AM
Aprilrain....yeah I think the Catholic thing has caused me some turmoil too...that and social acceptance as well...But like you, when the makeup is on, the breastforms in place, dress or skirt and a wig adjusted just right, I do rejoice in the illusion created...

saskia
11-25-2006, 04:30 AM
wow how that has hit the nail on the head. I cannot go too long without changing into my fem attire and the compulsion to doing it is all consuming Its painful sometimes. Luv to all Saskia:happy: