PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Lingerie

Kristi1948
11-25-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello girls, this is my first thread and more than anything it's curiosity.

First thing I will say is that I love "vintage lingerie". I have about 40 full slips and many half slips most of which are vintage IE:Van Raalte, Mel Lin, Barbizon, Movie Star and Vanity Fair. All circa 40's to 60's, when the lingerie makers knew how to dress ladies.

As I posted in another thread when my wife and I married she did not dress "girly" but took the lead in my dressing, so she had no idea what it was really like. After she started to enjoy the feeling of dressing she also started to understand "why". Example: One day while we were both dressed at home she started a conversation by asking me why I liked vintage lingerie so much, (I think she was hinting). I said come upstairs and I will show you. We were both wearing current Vanity Fair slips purchased at Penney's. I told her to take off her dress and slip as I handed her my favorite Van Raalte c.1958 (Tuxedo Slip/white bodice and black skirt), when she put it on and replaced her dress, all she said was OMG now I see. To which I replied "thats why".

Now with stage set my question is, do any of you other girls wear or have you ever experienced the difference in "vintage" and "current" lingerie or am I just a little bit more eccentric than most?

Tessa Wire
11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Well I did have some, and wish that I could get some more, but my X tossed all of my things at one point and I am still getting things together once again.

As always Loves :hugs:

BobbieCD1944
11-25-2006, 02:28 PM
heh.. :drool: :drool: I wish for a lottery win.. I'd love to buy some of the 40s and 50s girdles, including a few of the Playtex rubber girdles. When I see them advertised, my common sense reminds me I have other things I need/want to spend my money on.

Angie G
11-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Kristi I never have had the vintage things but I'd like to try some sounds great:hugs:
Angie

Sedona
11-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Interesting,

I've not been an affictionado, but have thought many of the styles to be extremely classy.

Here's a site that I've bought waist cinchers from in the past, that has a bunch of vintage type wear:

www.crepe-suzette.com

And, one that looks interesting: http://www.vintageslips.com/

Best,

MistyCD
11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
is there a difference between in the feel of a vintage slip versus a modern day silk slip, (other than the lace)?

hugs misty

Victoria Anne
11-25-2006, 03:02 PM
oh yes and how wonderful it is, now the trick is to find it. Like many my ex tossed it all years ago and I just have not been able to replace the good stuff.

Kristi1948
11-25-2006, 03:14 PM
is there a difference between in the feel of a vintage slip versus a modern day silk slip, (other than the lace)?

hugs misty

Hi Misty, most definately YES. There is a marked difference in the nylon used 40 years ago, I love it.

Victoria Anne, I shop a lot of estate sales, have found some real bargains. Have found a few on eBay also.

carla smith
11-25-2006, 04:02 PM
No you are not more eccentric for thinking that vintage lingerie is special. I have purchased some items on ebay that are vintage mostly from the 50's and 60's. This lingerie is from the time when women wore what I consider to be extremely feminine undergarments. GGs here will scoff and mock me as a panty worshiper, of course, but vintage lingerie seem to fit, feel, and look prettier, that most of the items for sale today.

There are lingerie collectors out there that will pay hundreds of dollars for some pieces, which makes it hard to justify a purchase!

There are several places to buy new "vintage lingerie" Look around the web or ebay you will find it!

I could go on and on...but you got the point. I would post a pic, but we know how offensive a panty picture is....lol!

Jesse69
11-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I looked at the vintage wear and wasn't impressed. I like modern lingerie better and I wouldn't be a crossdresser in the vintage days because of the selection.

Taffy
11-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Very hard to find bouffant slips and petticoats these days and these were absolutely required in the 1950s and early 1960s. How else would you pouf out your skirts and dresses?

Likewise, rhumba-style ruffled panties became "fetishwear" rather than a staple of the lingerie sections of catalogs.

Audry
11-25-2006, 08:28 PM
I to love to see the poodle Just a few years ago the was a 50's sock hop and some girls were wearing them... The were really beautiful

ShannonDragon
11-25-2006, 10:18 PM
heh.. :drool: :drool: I wish for a lottery win.. I'd love to buy some of the 40s and 50s girdles, including a few of the Playtex rubber girdles. When I see them advertised, my common sense reminds me I have other things I need/want to spend my money on.

Try ShapeU.com They have some pretty good deals.

:tongueout

Robin Leigh
11-25-2006, 10:50 PM
My sister gave me a few vintage lingerie items. I think they may have belonged to Mum. The old satin seems denser & less flimsy than in modern lingerie. The half-slip I'm wearing is still in good condition, even though it's almost 50 years old.

Robin

Glenda58
11-25-2006, 11:02 PM
I have 2 half slips and 1 Cami Barbizon had more but the X cut them up. Found a mall in Canada that sells new lingerie thats is just like the vintage but at $150+ US per slip thats somethings that can I wait for.

Foxy Lady
11-26-2006, 08:08 AM
I have several Playtex rubber girdles from the 50's. I wouldn't trade them for a modern girdle. I grew up wearing my mothers when I could and still do now , 50 years later.