PDA

View Full Version : Purse or man's hand bag

Lois1234
11-26-2006, 11:31 AM
I've recently been looking for a man bag (murse?) to carry arround when in drab but haven't found anything that doesn't look like a laptop bag or a purse. I'm not "out" so carrying a purse wouldn't work, although i have several and love to carry one around the house. I've ventured out a little for drives and such and enjoy being able to bring my purse. Does anybody know of an online store or retail store that sells them? Also, does anybody else carry a man bag when in drab?

Lois.....

Stephenie S
11-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I catrry a bag most of the time. I usually refer to it as my "purse". Is it really a purse? No, it's not. It's a "bag". I have a purse to carry when I am out, but when I am not "dressed" I carry my bag. It's black with a design on the side, and straps that I can wear over my shoulder. It does not have a zipper or other closure on top. I used to carry a laptop bag but it was too clunky and not feminine at all. I am happy with my "bag", and it doesn't seem to bother anyone else. My boss said, "Nice purse", the first day I brought it to work, and I just said, "thank you", and nothing more was said. This carries my brush, handcream, lipbalm, floss, and all the other crap I need during the day, and I can slip my lunch in too if I need to.

A woman's purse will really stand out if you are in drab, and you will not be able to pretend otherwise. But if you need to carry a lot of stuff, consider a pretty bag of some sort. I think it works very well.

Lovies,
Stephenie

davorra
11-26-2006, 11:54 AM
I keep all of my girl stuff in my laptop bag.

Sharon
11-26-2006, 11:58 AM
How about getting yourself a plain brown or black leather handbag? They may be made for women, but aren't especially feminine..., well, once you get past the fact that you're carrying a handbag in the first place. :happy:

Rachel Morley
11-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm in the situation where I want to carry a purse/handbag in boy mode but just can't seem to quite get there (yet). I've been looking for a small(ish) plain black leather bag but all the ones I've seen that are the right style are too big and all the ones that are the right size seem to be a bit too feminine for boy mode.

I'm kinda stuck in the middle not knowing what to do at the moment. :straightface:

Jenna1561
11-26-2006, 01:36 PM
When in guy mode I use a leather backpack purse. It carries everything I need: cell phone, camera, eyeglasses, brush, credit/business cards, calendar, address book, mints/gum, hand lotion, lip gloss and lip balm, makeup bag, checkbook, wallet, etc. Couldn't live without it. Here's what it looks like.

Jenna

scarlett
11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Check out Target. They have mens bags in several sizes and styles. Not too fem but just rite for drab

Kate Simmons
11-26-2006, 02:06 PM
You can try to pull it off Lois, but even with a "man purse" some homophobes will always say: "Damn gaymos!":happy: Ericka/Rich

JenniferMint
11-26-2006, 02:33 PM
I've used a backpack a lot, but then again I'm 24 and I can pass as 18 (i.e. university student).

Sometimes I do find myself wanting to use something smaller than a backpack, but then it would look like a purse o_O

Scotty
11-26-2006, 03:15 PM
I carry a book bag, holds like two books and has spots for pens pencils etc and two pockets for a calculator etc.

My mom kidded me that I had my hand lotion and I had my purse and I was set - but I never got the chance in that conversatoin to tell her the truth since I was at work :D

Anyway mine is black and has a fold over cover and nobody questions it because it looks "School" like....:)

Find them in a book store maybe? Or hmmm where did I get mine......Maybe Target, I forget since I've had it so long.

In the army I had a soft map bag I used for distributing hush hush documents for commo, and the guys used to tease me that it was my camoflage purse. Still have that one :)

I too am looking for another bag though, maybe one just a SLIGHT bit more femme but not TOO femme.

Phyliss
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
You might try checking out some basic camera bags.

I carry a bag all the time. Have been since Aug and I've found that it's about the best thing going. Wife calls it my purse but doesn't seem to mind me carrying it. Besides my trousers fit better without all those lumps in the pockets.
I got mine at a Samsonite outlet store.

Sierra Evon
11-26-2006, 03:24 PM
I carry my puse just about everywhere I go these days , shoulder strap , I have been stared at many times before , I dont care!!!, its my life !!!!
I find that most people just are too busy in thier own stressed-out lives anyway to even notice , nobody has ever openly said anything to me ever in last 3 yrs. I've been carrying , and if someone does well then you can get the finger " the middle " !!!!!!!!........see-ya.........:happy:

Kate Simmons
11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
I carry my puse just about everywhere I go these days , shoulder strap , I have been stared at many times before , I dont care!!!, its my life !!!!
I find that most people just are too busy in thier own stressed-out lives anyway to even notice , nobody has ever openly said anything to me ever in last 3 yrs. I've been carrying , and if someone does well then you can get the finger " the middle " !!!!!!!!........see-ya.........:happy:Works for me Sierra. Go get 'em pussycat! Ever try putting the three fingers up and saying"Read between the lines?":happy: Ericka/Rich

trannie T
11-26-2006, 05:52 PM
I do photography so I often carry a camera bag when I'm in drab. Just the usual stuff inside, camera, lenses, filters, batteries, film, mascara and lipstick. En femme I have a cute little pink purse, maybe I should carry it sometime when I'm in guy mode.

Kimkandy
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
I've recently been looking for a man bag (murse?) to carry arround when in drab but haven't found anything that doesn't look like a laptop bag or a purse.

Use a :2c: laptop bag if you put a laptop in it people will think it's just a :devil: laptop bag...

How's that for going :D secret undercover...

Kim

:dom: :smashcomp

carolinewalker_2000
11-26-2006, 06:51 PM
I use a brown leather shoulder bag when in drab. It is a male bag, but, like all girls, I find it essential to carry all my bits and pieces. What with mobile phone, glasses, wallet, credit/store cards etc; there just isn't room in pockets.......but girls discovered that eons ago!!!

I also keep my small change in a purse and my other financial items in a smaller male handbag - all inside the larger bag.

The only time I get hassle is from my daughter when I refer to it as "my handbag"!!!

bridget thronton
11-26-2006, 08:14 PM
I've carried a black or brown shoulder bag for 4 years - regardless of how I am dressed and never had anyone say anything negative about it.

Caroline Simmons
11-26-2006, 08:19 PM
I use a shoulder bag in boy mode. but sat on a train on Saturday. a GG sat next to me with the exact same type of bag

GG Vanya
11-26-2006, 09:09 PM
Yep, Target has some attractive bags for men.

Go to their site and check out their "Boarding Bag" or "Messenger Bag".

Billijo49504
11-26-2006, 09:20 PM
I usually carry a fanny pack. It has a pocket in the back for a gun, and also two zipper pockets, I usually have my check book in that compartment. Most ppl that know me, have become familier with me carring a fanny pack. No one see's me as having a gun on. Which will change as soon as I retire. I also have a purse that is designed with a holster built into the purse. Just my:2c: ...BJ

sissystephanie
11-26-2006, 09:28 PM
I've recently been looking for a man bag (murse?) to carry arround when in drab but haven't found anything that doesn't look like a laptop bag or a purse. I'm not "out" so carrying a purse wouldn't work, although i have several and love to carry one around the house. I've ventured out a little for drives and such and enjoy being able to bring my purse. Does anybody know of an online store or retail store that sells them? Also, does anybody else carry a man bag when in drab?

Lois.....

Lois,

I carry an Ameribag almost all the time now, whether I am totally in drab. or most enfemme. It is a shoulder bag/purse that is the most comfortable thing you can carry.:love: Has several compartments inside, and two velcro pockets outside plus a cellphone pocket.

I took it on a Cruise last June when I went to Italy, Greece, and Turkey. The ladies with me were jealous, because I could carry my purse so easily, with more in it.:heehee: The Ameribag is canvas, but does come in colors. I have 2, one is neutral and one is bright red. I took both with me on the cruise, and used them both. You can order them from Travelsmith.com.

Sissy

More Girl than man

Calliope
11-26-2006, 09:56 PM
You can try to pull it off Lois, but even with a "man purse" some homophobes will always say: "Damn gaymos!"

It's not a purse - it's a business bag.

And it's full of diapers.

Heelsnlegs
11-27-2006, 12:59 AM
I found a leather travel organizer in an LL Bean Catalogue. It has two compartments; one for credit cards tickets etc, and a second compartment they say will hold a paperback. That's were I think I will carry my cell phone, and all the other crap I carry around. It's too bad we have to hide ourselves like this, because I do have several real cute handbags.
Jen

AmberTG
11-27-2006, 04:06 AM
How about one of these bags, I'm planning on buying an ammo bag to carry all my crap in, of course, I've seen purses pretty close to these in department stores too.
http://www.armysurplusworld.com/display.asp?subDepartmentID=158&page=1
I may have to get two of the ammo bags, one actually for ammo and shooting supplys to tote to the range.

Brianna Lovely
11-27-2006, 04:39 AM
I have a nice denim, over the sholder purse, that I love to use.

Ok, so maybe I'm a little "in your face" at times, but I've been known to go out in a denim skirt, man's pocket tee, nails done, wearing sandals and carrying my denim bag and wearing light makeup.

Got some stares and double takes, but, tough for those people who don't like it.

KimberlyS
11-27-2006, 10:50 AM
I do not go too far without my computer. So my computer bag/backpack has become my man bag. It also tends to get too much in it like a gals. Now what was I looking for in here, guess I will just need to dump everything out to find it.

I bought a basic brown purse when I was in Philly a few months back to carry some purchases home in that I did not have room for in my back pack. It is very basic and old looking, although it is new. It has two outside pockets on one side which I usually kept to the inside and is not very feminine looking at all. I thought it was nice and functional. I got a couples of smiles from gals when they seen me with my computer backpack and the purse.

I would use it more, but not around this little town. Out of town trips it will come out.

KimberlyS-CD

Larrie
11-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I carry my black bag with me at all times. I can't live without it. Nobody has ever said a word about it.

Karren H
11-27-2006, 05:03 PM
I use my laptop soft case as a purse when out... But hey!! Go get a real purse!! As long as it matches your outfit!! Lol

Karren

Penny
11-27-2006, 05:25 PM
I have a rather large, attractive bag with shoulder strap. I can carry pens, cellphone, deoderant, wallet, gloves, mints, lip balm, mosquito repellant and a bunch of other stuff inclucing golf clubs!:OT: :umbrella: carries that too for when it rains!:heehee:

Kristen Marie
11-27-2006, 05:33 PM
At nearly every conference I go to, they distribute these great over-the-shoulder bags. I have at least 10 of these, usually in black with a conference logo on the side. Today I went to my first Mary Kay consultation with it and brought my wig and jewelry in it, and left with all my pink Mary Kay stuff in it. No one has ever questioned me on it. I know what's in it, and that's all that counts.....

Sandi906
11-27-2006, 08:26 PM
I picked up a womans purse that looks somewhat like a camera bag... carry it all the time... I also use a womans wallet.... soooo much better than a mans wallet.. Sandi

Sandi906
11-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Hi Amber... I got a nice purse at Shopko in Hancock... I LOVE purses and wallets.... and shoes.. and.. and ... and.... Anyway, its kind of cube shaped, like a camera bag. Infact, sometimes I carry my digital cam in it.. Along with all my other stuff of course... Sandi

Karren H
11-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi Amber... I got a nice purse at Shopko in Hancock... I LOVE purses and wallets.... and shoes.. and.. and ... and.... Anyway, its kind of cube shaped, like a camera bag. Infact, sometimes I carry my digital cam in it.. Along with all my other stuff of course... Sandi

Didn't know there were any stores left in Hancock!! Eah?? Except Kaleva's .....they have the best pastys!!! Pick me up a couple with Rubarb....lol Used to have to drive 88 miles to Eshpiming to even get a Big Mac way back when!!! lol

Karren

noname
11-28-2006, 03:46 AM
I recently just got a bag, it's just a solid black, larger than a purse and smaller than one of those messenger bags. I had several items to carry. Let's see here. Wallet, keys, change, cell phone ( Large ) , and some medical stuff I need. It's gets better when you need other stuff say, paying bills, you now need to cram your check book in you backpocket and half ruin the duplicates. Then you add the stuff you want to carry, say... paper and pen, and breath mints. So, let's recap.

Wallet
Keys
Change
Cell phone
Check book
Paper
Pen
Mints

I dunno if thats why guys cargos are popular, but thats a lot to carry even wearing guys pants. I was sick of always running around the house trying to locate everything. Violia problems solved!