PDA

View Full Version : I know I'm A Guy When...

Holly
11-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Okay guys, here's the question on my mind... what is it that you do really makes you feel masculine? Is it an article of clothing you wear? Is it an activity you participate in? Is it a mannerism you adopt? Is it a speech pattern you develop? Is it some combination of these or maybe something entirely different. Come guys... spill it! What tells you that you're a manly man?

Kieron Andrew
11-26-2006, 11:46 AM
you want FTM answers ONLY im guessing holly?

ok i'll give it a shot, anything for one of my favourite ladies...........

I know im a guy because i have no feminine ways.........my mannerism are 100% masculine, the way I speak is very guy like......the way i am very protective towards the ladies in a very guy like fashion......for me clothes dont make me a man, but they to add to the bigger picture if you get what i mean

Adam
11-26-2006, 12:55 PM
When im working on the car i feel more manish when someone says he

and when i pee stranding up in the loo's like a reglaur guy

Kieron Andrew
11-26-2006, 12:59 PM
and when i pee stranding up in the loo's like a reglaur guyexcuse me i didnt quite hear you lol????:D

Holly
11-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks Kieron and Adam. How about it guys... anyone else?

Kieron Andrew
11-26-2006, 01:05 PM
Thanks Kieron and Adam. How about it guys... anyone else?
Capt will answer you give him time, he'll be thinking of the answer!

Evert
11-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I really feel masculine when I'm out with some friends. They treat me like a boy, ask me which girl I like, fight with me (boys) or dance/flirt with me (girls).

People treating me like a man, make me feel one. :)

RevMoonSerpent
11-26-2006, 06:11 PM
Holly,
That's a good question. Most of what the other guys have said holds true for me as well. I'm usually the one holding open all of the doors when we go out and not just for the girls. I guess I could say I feel masculine about 80% of the time. Working on the cars, painting the house, etc. I guess I've just always been the tough one. The clothes do help with my look but, they are not what make me a man.

Abraxas
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
For me, it's when I'm hanging out with the boys. Which is strange, because it always ends up being a bit homoerotic.
Or if I'm out and I get hit on (something which rarely happens). Whether it's by a gay guy or a girl, it makes me feel rather manly. Of course, if it's a girl it also makes me a bit uncomfortable, but it's flattering nonetheless.

Holly
11-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Guys, I'm really impressed! And a little surprised. I'm intrigued with the working on the car thingy. All that does for me is raise my frustration level (maybe because I'm too worried about breaking a nail :heehee: ). Would it be fair to say, then, that doing things that are typically accepted as "male" activities validates how you feel about yourself?

And I'm also surprised at the flirting/dancing/holding doors open comments, but I can certainly understand them. Isn't in interesting that a lot of people say the chivalry is dead, yet here it is in our own FtM's... Kieron the protector, Adam the fixer of stuff, Evert our champion willing to take on anyone who threatens us, Ladymoonserpant the provider, and Abraxas our shy guy who likes hanging with the guys but secretly likes our attention (just doesn't want to admit it... I just wanna run my fingers through your hair and watch you turn :blushing: ... yes sometimes girls are mean hehehe). Seriously, I think you guy are great and would be proud to be in the company of any one (or all) of you.

Caroline Simmons
11-26-2006, 08:01 PM
... Kieron the protector, Adam the fixer of stuff, Evert our champion willing to take on anyone who threatens us, Ladymoonserpant the provider, and Abraxas our shy guy who likes hanging with the guys but secretly likes our attention (just doesn't want to admit it... .

What about Captlex and Felix. dont forget these two nice guys. :love:

Kieron Andrew
11-26-2006, 08:06 PM
What about Captlex and Felix. dont forget these two nice guys. :love:
theyve not answered it yet

CaptLex
11-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Capt will answer you give him time, he'll be thinking of the answer!
The Capt was thinking of an answer and was also busy tossing a few unruly stowaways in the brig. Okay, where were we? Feeling manly, right? Wow, good question, Holly (can you tell I'm stalling?) . . .

It's pretty much an around-the-clock thing with me, but it's strongest when I'm with the rest of my support group because they're the ones that completely accept me as male, without any reservations. My friends and co-workers are working on it, but for them it's still a transitional thing too and sometimes they slip up and call me "she" (for which they quickly apologize). Total strangers also call me "she" or "Ma'am", so that doesn't give me much confidence, but the guys in my transmasculine support group ALWAYS treat me like the real me - and I never have to worry or wonder if they're humoring me. The guys on this site also do the same for me - I never have to guess their intentions and I'm happy to know all of them.

Of course, I can also relate to all of the other guys' responses - I think it's a combination of things, but maybe some things more than another for some of us. This is a great thread, and I'm happy to see all the different responses. It proves that we're not all the same, but we can all relate to each other and support each other.

bi_weird
11-26-2006, 10:54 PM
Well I have a tie on right now (late birthday present from a friend, first time wearing it) which is making me feel pretty darn boyish.
Also when one of my guy friends talks about girls - either in a "she's so hot" or a "girls don't make sense" way - with me like I'm a guy.
But lately I've been fighting way too much uninvited chilverarly (my boyfriend called me 'absurd' for not wanting certain male attentions) so I've been feeling stuck in the girl box.

Holly
11-27-2006, 01:35 AM
CaptLex, thanks for reminding us just how important is is to have a strong support system. You are indeed fortunate, my friend, that you have real people in your life as part of that support. And Bi_Weird, I do so appreciate your comments about unwanted chivalry. I'm sure your BF intentions are good, he probably just doesn't understand how important it is to you to NOT be treated that way. Me? I get all giggly if someone opens a door for me or helps me with a chair. Must be a girl thing, huh?

I've learned a lot from you guys about my own gender identity (and struggles). Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm thinkin' there are a few more of you out there that have yet to speak up. Come on guys... I'm fascinated to hear more.

Felix
11-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Great thread and great cleaning up job going on in here I need to get my chest in order so I can catch up with out coughin my guts up lol.
Anyways back to the question. I think I have always been more masculine than feminine and when I'm dressed to go out in my shirt I just feel the whole man thing coming out from within like the hulk :heehee: ya know when he changes and bursts out of all his clothes. That's what I feel like. I've always opened doors for the ladies and given up my seat for them. I feel extremely protective of them and will get in the way in school if a kid is tryin to harm them lol forgetting that I might get hurt. I felt great when I was out on Friday I got lots of compliments off the ladies about my new shirt I felt ever so manley in it. My friend even said thats what I get my husband that sort of shirt. Wow!!!! I like being with the boys at school more and the male members of staff. I loved it when the co-ordinator I work with said in so many words there's nothin girly about you what a buzz!!!! I feel like one of the boys when I'm with my gay friends and my best mate is soooo fully accepting of me just needs to call me Felix that would be nice. As for my voice well :o I have found myself conciously making it deeper :heehee:
Hope ya don't mind me adding this but it's took one shot from the doc and it appears that my monthlies have stopped so that is another pluss....due for the next one soon. I think the clothes thing is definately just a way to express the person inside so that is a big one for me. As for sport well its such an equal thing now cos it is accepted that sport is such a unisex thing but I do prefere playing sport with the lads. Always have since I was younger really. I don't think it makes me feel more manley though cos there isn't a real gender divide these days. Well think that's it although I could prob rabbit on longer lol xx Felix :hugs:

jsoto81
01-18-2007, 01:47 AM
For me I feel most masculine when I hang out with my friends from high school, my brother or at work with my coworkers (they only know me as a lesbian right now, I haven't come out at work) but they treat me like one of the guys. Which is cool because other than the managers I'm the only "female" there at work.

What else, work out in the stables taking care of my horse and working with my hands, dressing up on the holidays (cause I get to wear my nice shirts).

And this one my seem a little weird, but in my dreams. Ever since I can remember when ever I dream I'm a man, I look the same facially, but I don't have my stupid breast, I usually give myself a five oclock shadow (probably because I don't have one in real life) and I'm ... myself. That's when I feel the most like a man.

John
01-18-2007, 05:38 AM
As long as I'm not wearing a skirt I usually fell... not masculine, as such, but not like a girl; maybe some point in between...

Properly hanging shirts and men’s shoos make me feel masculine, and the way people treat you when you open the door for them: if you're female the other girls will usually thank you verbally, and the boys will look a little thrown (they're stereotyping), if you're male (I find that) girls say less and have more thankful body-language, whereas the men will thank you verbally (it's all about gender-roles). There’s a gate you need to open to get into where I live, and I observe it a lot...

So yeah, I feel masculine when people treat me as they would another guy when I do that (or other things, of cause, but mostly that).

ZenFrost
01-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I start feeling particularly manly the second I put on a binder. It's like the instant guy thing because when I'm wearing one I lose the only thing that makes me look particularly feminine. Wearing men's clothing also helps me feel more masculine. And also, simply KNOWING a lot about certain topics (ie. computers, video games, science and technology, etc.) makes me feel more like a man because they are often (not always) male oriented topics. For instance, there are more male gamers than female ones, so being one can help me feel like I fit in more with the guys.

However, even when doing none of the above I still feel like a guy. The only time I feel womanly is when I'm wearing a costume (ie. a dress).